Search Results Dominated by Few Sellers 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:49:59 AM
eclecticpastime wrote:


No wonder it's so hard to be seen. Zazzle makes no effort to curate anything. They are too busy making change after change after change. Sadly they don't seem to realize that they take a hit in the search engines just about every time. Seems to me they would be better employed curating searches so that customers can see what they want too. e.g. pay particular attention to the search terms:

https://ibb.co/wrj3w4G

BTW this is NINE pages into a newest search for those terms.



I replicated your search to see how these non-bag items got in. This one isn't on Zazzle. It's bad tagging. The machine curation by search term is working very well and only pulls up tote bags that have been tagged "red" or products that have been tagged with all 3 of those terms (seen here only when sorting by new). This is no doubt why they don't want people to use the product type as a tag- to prevent just this happening. There are all sorts of products with a picture of red rocks (so the "red" tag is appropriate) but they are neither tote bags nor are they pictures of tote bags yet they are tagged "tote bag". This is probably a result of using quick create and not knowing that product names shouldn't be used.

Sometimes a design element is also a product name. There are mousepads with pictures of coffee mugs and coffee mugs with pictures of a mouse. So the ability to use product names that are also design elements is important. It was just done all wrong here.


Zazzle gives the customer an easy fix. If they refine the category to "tote bags", all those not-tote-bags are removed from the search. I think this filtering is one of Zazzle's best recent improvements. They keep adding filters so that customers can zero in on product specifics (like size) and filter till they find exactly what they want without relying exclusively on search terms.

The feedback loop does apply when the search terms are first typed in. But if the customers start filtering, the rest of us have a good chance to be seen.
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:33:09 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
The feedback loop does apply when the search terms are first typed in. But if the customers start filtering, the rest of us have a good chance to be seen.

...unless you're excluded right from the start, despite having tags that match the search terms. Happens to me all the time. And if you look at enough of those blue boxes used for refinement, it becomes clear that they skew toward the top sellers and/or Zazzle's focus on weddings, etc.

So the feedback loop is still present, even in the drill down tools. Honestly, I can't even stand to do research on tags / refinement anymore - too depressing.
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:28:02 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
The feedback loop does apply when the search terms are first typed in. But if the customers start filtering, the rest of us have a good chance to be seen.


Fat Chance! I filtered in many different ways in multiple different searches and the same obnoxious behavior is seen. Usually by a very small handful of stores. I've even taken time to file 2 or 3 *Reports*. With no results.

Curating includes all aspects of displaying. It literally sickens me when I think about how much business Zazzle is losing when a customer finds results of this type when looking for something specific.

Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:00:15 AM
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:50:20 AM
The image posted above is not appropriate for these forums.

If/when you remove it, I will delete this post, so please - no replies.

ETA: It's a sad comment on the state of the world that the Zazzle forum now appears to be headed in the direction of some members posting memes to taunt and troll others.
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:34:34 PM
I am not a troll. I am a designer who has been on this forum for 10 years. In my experience I’ve seen many posts of Zazzle bashing. It starts with dissatisfaction then moves to assertions of assumed facts. No one can assume Zazzle is loosing money because they have no knowledge of how Zazzle makes money.

I don’t doubt your methods of working with the search function here on Zazzle has taught you something. But despite your findings, other folks (not just Card Hunter and crew) are making good money here on Z.

The “oh I can’t get ahead on Zazzle because the deck is stacked against me” is a victim statement I wrote to sum up where this discussion is headed. I hate to break it to you but we will never get ahead in this business if we have someone else to blame.

I know from experience of what I speak. It’s a struggle for me personally not to go down the blame game avenue. I deal with it all the time. But I have found when I pick myself up, learn to create designs people want, sometimes learn new techniques, do the due diligence with meta data (I know you all use good methods) sales start to come in.

Even if you don’t want to make money off of tired invitation ideas, you can still make money here. I still make money with my original art even though I rarely add new pieces.

Truly I wish you well and success here on Zazzle. Take my advice or leave it.
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:42:54 PM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
I am not a troll. I am a designer who has been on this forum for 10 years. In my experience I’ve seen many posts of Zazzle bashing. It starts with dissatisfaction then moves to assertions of assumed facts. No one can assume Zazzle is loosing money because they have no knowledge of how Zazzle makes money.

I don’t doubt your methods of working with the search function here on Zazzle has taught you something. But despite your findings, other folks (not just Card Hunter and crew) are making good money here on Z.

The “oh I can’t get ahead on Zazzle because the deck is stacked against me” is a victim statement I wrote to sum up where this discussion is headed. I hate to break it to you but we will never get ahead in this business if we have someone else to blame.

I know from experience of what I speak. It’s a struggle for me personally not to go down the blame game avenue. I deal with it all the time. But I have found when I pick myself up, learn to create designs people want, sometimes learn new techniques, do the due diligence with meta data (I know you all use good methods) sales start to come in.

Even if you don’t want to make money off of tired invitation ideas, you can still make money here. I still make money with my original art even though I rarely add new pieces.

Truly I wish you well and success here on Zazzle. Take my advice or leave it.


Try not to let your good fortune make you insensitive to the struggles of others.

There is no one size fits all way to succeed at Zazzle and when designers see signs that Z itself might be struggling a bit it is only natural to be apprehensive about it or when they see things that could be improved regarding the company/designer relationship and they vent about it, that is not necessarily "bashing", sometimes the most valuable feedback is not the most positive.

It is easy to say "don't be a victim" or something like it when everything is going well for you.



Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:02:42 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
I am not a troll. I am a designer who has been on this forum for 10 years. In my experience I’ve seen many posts of Zazzle bashing. It starts with dissatisfaction then moves to assertions of assumed facts. No one can assume Zazzle is loosing money because they have no knowledge of how Zazzle makes money.

I don’t doubt your methods of working with the search function here on Zazzle has taught you something. But despite your findings, other folks (not just Card Hunter and crew) are making good money here on Z.

The “oh I can’t get ahead on Zazzle because the deck is stacked against me” is a victim statement I wrote to sum up where this discussion is headed. I hate to break it to you but we will never get ahead in this business if we have someone else to blame.

I know from experience of what I speak. It’s a struggle for me personally not to go down the blame game avenue. I deal with it all the time. But I have found when I pick myself up, learn to create designs people want, sometimes learn new techniques, do the due diligence with meta data (I know you all use good methods) sales start to come in.

Even if you don’t want to make money off of tired invitation ideas, you can still make money here. I still make money with my original art even though I rarely add new pieces.

Truly I wish you well and success here on Zazzle. Take my advice or leave it.


Try not to let your good fortune make you insensitive to the struggles of others.

There is no one size fits all way to succeed at Zazzle and when designers see signs that Z itself might be struggling a bit it is only natural to be apprehensive about it or when they see things that could be improved regarding the company/designer relationship and they vent about it, that is not necessarily "bashing", sometimes the most valuable feedback is not the most positive.

It is easy to say "don't be a victim" or something like it when everything is going well for you.


Shelli dear you are a ray of sunshine and positivity on these forums. ((hug))

You are assuming I have made a "good fortune" from my Zazzle efforts. Though I am seeing better results from changes that I have made I am not yet rolling in the dough.

When "designers see signs that Z itself might be struggling" it is also assuming. This is exactly why I brought it up. None of us knows anything about Zazzle's finances. To assume you do is just bravado.

I'm not rubbing anything in your faces, my intentions were to just look into the mirror and ask yourselves what could you be doing differently to change your path on Z. Perhaps, just perhaps blaming the search algorithm is not the answer.
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:10:40 PM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
I am not a troll. I am a designer who has been on this forum for 10 years. In my experience I’ve seen many posts of Zazzle bashing. It starts with dissatisfaction then moves to assertions of assumed facts. No one can assume Zazzle is loosing money because they have no knowledge of how Zazzle makes money.

I don’t doubt your methods of working with the search function here on Zazzle has taught you something. But despite your findings, other folks (not just Card Hunter and crew) are making good money here on Z.

The “oh I can’t get ahead on Zazzle because the deck is stacked against me” is a victim statement I wrote to sum up where this discussion is headed. I hate to break it to you but we will never get ahead in this business if we have someone else to blame.

I know from experience of what I speak. It’s a struggle for me personally not to go down the blame game avenue. I deal with it all the time. But I have found when I pick myself up, learn to create designs people want, sometimes learn new techniques, do the due diligence with meta data (I know you all use good methods) sales start to come in.

Even if you don’t want to make money off of tired invitation ideas, you can still make money here. I still make money with my original art even though I rarely add new pieces.

Truly I wish you well and success here on Zazzle. Take my advice or leave it.


Try not to let your good fortune make you insensitive to the struggles of others.

There is no one size fits all way to succeed at Zazzle and when designers see signs that Z itself might be struggling a bit it is only natural to be apprehensive about it or when they see things that could be improved regarding the company/designer relationship and they vent about it, that is not necessarily "bashing", sometimes the most valuable feedback is not the most positive.

It is easy to say "don't be a victim" or something like it when everything is going well for you.


Shelli dear you are a ray of sunshine and positivity on these forums. ((hug))

You are assuming I have made a "good fortune" from my Zazzle efforts. Though I am seeing better results from changes that I have made I am not yet rolling in the dough.

When "designers see signs that Z itself might be struggling" it is also assuming. This is exactly why I brought it up. None of us knows anything about Zazzle's finances. To assume you do is just bravado.

I'm not rubbing anything in your faces, my intentions were to just look into the mirror and ask yourselves what could you be doing differently to change your path on Z. Perhaps, just perhaps blaming the search algorithm is not the answer.


Unless maybe the algorithm has much to do with it. I can't say for sure but I have personally seen some designers really trying to improve and still just spinning their wheels or even losing ground. And vague or conflicting advice on the part of Zazzle is not helping either.

As far as Z finances go, you can get a public report on that if you want one.


Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:28:20 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
I am not a troll. I am a designer who has been on this forum for 10 years. In my experience I’ve seen many posts of Zazzle bashing. It starts with dissatisfaction then moves to assertions of assumed facts. No one can assume Zazzle is loosing money because they have no knowledge of how Zazzle makes money.

I don’t doubt your methods of working with the search function here on Zazzle has taught you something. But despite your findings, other folks (not just Card Hunter and crew) are making good money here on Z.

The “oh I can’t get ahead on Zazzle because the deck is stacked against me” is a victim statement I wrote to sum up where this discussion is headed. I hate to break it to you but we will never get ahead in this business if we have someone else to blame.

I know from experience of what I speak. It’s a struggle for me personally not to go down the blame game avenue. I deal with it all the time. But I have found when I pick myself up, learn to create designs people want, sometimes learn new techniques, do the due diligence with meta data (I know you all use good methods) sales start to come in.

Even if you don’t want to make money off of tired invitation ideas, you can still make money here. I still make money with my original art even though I rarely add new pieces.

Truly I wish you well and success here on Zazzle. Take my advice or leave it.


Try not to let your good fortune make you insensitive to the struggles of others.

There is no one size fits all way to succeed at Zazzle and when designers see signs that Z itself might be struggling a bit it is only natural to be apprehensive about it or when they see things that could be improved regarding the company/designer relationship and they vent about it, that is not necessarily "bashing", sometimes the most valuable feedback is not the most positive.

It is easy to say "don't be a victim" or something like it when everything is going well for you.


Shelli dear you are a ray of sunshine and positivity on these forums. ((hug))

You are assuming I have made a "good fortune" from my Zazzle efforts. Though I am seeing better results from changes that I have made I am not yet rolling in the dough.

When "designers see signs that Z itself might be struggling" it is also assuming. This is exactly why I brought it up. None of us knows anything about Zazzle's finances. To assume you do is just bravado.

I'm not rubbing anything in your faces, my intentions were to just look into the mirror and ask yourselves what could you be doing differently to change your path on Z. Perhaps, just perhaps blaming the search algorithm is not the answer.


Unless maybe the algorithm has much to do with it. I can't say for sure but I have personally seen some designers really trying to improve and still just spinning their wheels or even losing ground. And vague or conflicting advice on the part of Zazzle is not helping either.

As far as Z finances go, you can get a public report on that if you want one.


My, my we have a large audience watching. lol Our conversation is quite long so I'll just end my part with this. I understand earning any substantial money from Zazzle is hard. I totally agree not every piece of advice from Z is black and white. But I personally feel that negative emotions surrounding Z or the lack of sales is the single heaviest yoke Zazzlers wear.

So the question is, how do you change to make it work. What steps do you (not you specifically Shelli) take to be seen by the right people who would buy your designs? It's about the action steps taken by you.

I wish everyone well. Find gratitude and trust in yourselves to be successful.

Roses
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:44:45 PM
·▽·

Glidersleeve questions the methodology here with which some drew conclusion. I agree with Glidersleeve.

In my years of zazzle I learned, that they are learning by testing constantly and so far they have been right. I'm sure if zazzle notices a decline in sales due to staleness they do AB testing and battle it.

•••


As for success. I had a dear friend who struggled in his first years of freelance. He was an IT guy from a bank and he took a weblog of the young entrepreneur support organisation under his wing and made it one of the most successful weblogs in Germany. More or less parallel he did the same with his personal weblog.

Because of the gratification that comes with being the best in weblogging, he quit his job. He and his family took a major hit financially because of it. His wife divorced him, because she married an employee in a bank with a steady income, not a free spirit, who found fulfillment in the art of writing. It took him almost a decade to learn how to make a good income with his talent and craft.

I had the privilege to coach him in his early years. Because of it I learned exactly how he spiked the the boring content with hot topics and thereby playing into googles infant algorithms.

Googles infant algorithm was hilarious and you won't be able to play on it as easily as in the old days, 20 years ago, but you still can play with any search algorithm, whether it is zazzle, google or whatever.

I knew the recipe for going to top position and I still decided not to do it, because I had no interest to write about pop culture - not even a little bit. I still made it in the top ten due to value, consistency and for the most part decent keywords in the right places. This has not changed.

Just a few hours back I watched a youTube video of a young up-coming artist in instagram with over 100.000 followers talking about how to get to that point.

So if it is possible through focus, value, consistency and proper key phrasing these days, the world hasn't changed that much.

The solution isn't solely within zazzle, since zazzle has its own goals and target groups, like my friend writing about pop culture and I don't and he being 9 spots above me in the top ten weblog charts.

So you can lament here about your assumptions and observations or you can learn to play within the framework given to you by AB testing, try and error and by providing value, consistency and proper keyphrasing here and elsewhere.

•••


So don't take it as an insult but a rough wake up call. Find out what you are willing to do and with your skills and preferences learn to turn them into a profit center. There is one somewhere. This world is big and there is always a pool of like-minded somewhere.

Smile


Love


Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:53:44 PM
·▽·

Here is a useful video to watch in the methodology of matching you quirkyness / Identity to your target group

It is about a design agencies process to sell designs that succeed in a fashion that is easy to digest for the client and a process of how to learn what the essence is the client needs and wants.

How To Design Brand Identity Stylescapes by theFuture Agency

To focus your brand make a stylescape for yourself and learn how to narrow down your target market in the process.

·△·
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:55:09 PM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
I am not a troll.

The clear purpose was to silence us. Consider it a success - I'm outta here.
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:42:30 AM
LavenderMintGraphics wrote:
Well, well, well .. I have my first (pending sale)! It's like less than $3.00, but I guest it's a start! LOL

Sorry for the confusion on the newsletters. It's the daily emails that come. Grin



Congrats on your first sale!
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded