Royalty Rate
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:02:58 AM
I set my royalty rate at 20% and a done pretty well. But at the "other" POD they are giving me only 5% for most sales and I am selling like crazy. The result is that my monthly commission is 3 times Zazzle. Should I be dropping my royalty rate here? What is the suggested rate?
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:14:24 AM
I’m sure if there was one it would be low, of course, they want to pay as little as possible. But it might not boost your sales the way you are hoping. The other place may have better advertising and broad appeal. They also sell through more third party sites. Your designs might fit better there.

The beauty of this site is that we can choose what our royalty is and I hope they never change that!
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:25:51 AM
Everything Shelli said above gets a +1 from me. It's really not an apples to apples comparison between Zazzle and other POD sites. Each has their own business/advertising strategy, probably some difference in audience appeal & reach.

I've tried having my royalty low. I've tried setting it higher. I've tried setting it based on price point ranges.

I have not found a royalty strategy that translates to more sales. The one thing I can say with certainty: The only thing I got from setting low royalties was less return on my investment.
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 10:57:31 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
The beauty of this site is that we can choose what our royalty is and I hope they never change that!

+1

I have had all products set at 14.9% for years.
5%, as you know, is the minimum you can charge here on big Z, personally I wouldn't waste my time for just 5%
14.9% Works for me...Grin
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 1:01:24 PM
Al Mount wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

+1

I have had all products set at 14.9% for years.
5%, as you know, is the minimum you can charge here on big Z, personally I wouldn't waste my time for just 5%
14.9% Works for me...Grin

The same percentage has been working well for me too, though I recently got disgusted with the constant postcard discounts, which leave me with close to nothing. I'm raising them to 20%, meaning that if the cards are 1.10, instead of making 16¢ (assuming no third party), I'll make a whopping 22¢. I'll be rich.
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 2:12:26 PM
I tried 10% for a while but upped it from there to 20% and sales did slow down so I came back down to 14.9 and have been doing pretty well right there.