Question about the yearly Holiday forum shutdown.....
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:54:58 AM
Just curious...Has the date of the forum shutdown for this year been decided yet?

Adding:

The shutdown means we can't post in the forums but it will still be open for designers to read.

The last time the forums were left completely open for the holidays, when no MODs were here, the forums got overrun by spammers. It was a horrible situation. So when it was decided there would be a yearly holiday shutdown, that was a good thing! Saved us designers from having to trudge through tons of spam and saved the MODs from a massive after-holiday cleanup!

Also... Zazzle Staff wants to be with their families during the holidays and wants us to be with ours, too!

Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:08:46 AM
Hey Gina, I'm not sure about the shutdown. I've been quietly reading the forum and hearing discontent and finger pointing. Not good. I've started to sell my wares at other P.O.D.'s and maintaining here at Zazzle hoping things quiet down. Maybe shutting down the forum will give designers a chance to think about their personal next move, like trying out new P.O.D's.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 4:51:40 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Just curious...Has the date of the forum shutdown for this year been decided yet?

I haven't seen any specific announcements Gina.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:44:41 AM
Cherie De Sues wrote:
Hey Gina, I'm not sure about the shutdown. I've been quietly reading the forum and hearing discontent and finger pointing. Not good. I've started to sell my wares at other P.O.D.'s and maintaining here at Zazzle hoping things quiet down. Maybe shutting down the forum will give designers a chance to think about their personal next move, like trying out new P.O.D's.

There arae changes in many PoDs and I've seen worse in other PoDs. Zazzle in my opinion is still a great place to put ones eggs in.Though it might not be for every one.

As for the break, my guess it'll be a day or two before Christmas until the first week of January again.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:30:08 AM
Cherie De Sues wrote:

The shutdown occurs yearly, and has for years (for close to 2 weeks) to give designers and Zazzle MODs (and other staff that peer into the forums) time to be with their families during Christmas and New Years. It has nothing to do with finger pointing, discontent, or the like.

LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:

I haven't seen any specific announcements Gina.

Neither have I. It's possible the shutdown date just hasn't been determined yet.

vivendulies wrote:

As for the break, my guess it'll be a day or two before Christmas until the first week of January again.

Christmas Day is on a Tuesday this year, and since MODs take weekends off, I am wondering if it will happen on the Friday before.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:21:44 AM
Don't they usually announce it about a week ahead of time?
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:26:04 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Don't they usually announce it about a week ahead of time?

*shrugs* I can't remember. But I was thinking they gave a bit more notice than that.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:50:31 AM
Usually announced just a few days in advance, and lasts from a few days before Christmas until a day or two after New Years Day, going by the last two years.

My guess would be 12/21 - 1/3. If I'm right, do I win something?
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:55:11 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Usually announced just a few days in advance, and lasts from a few days before Christmas until a day or two after New Years Day, going by the last two years.

The fuzzy feeling of being right. Smile
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:56:15 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

The 21st is the date I am thinking also since it is on a Friday. If that is the correct date the only prize I can offer is bragging rights? lol Is that good??
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:57:49 PM
I didn't know about this yearly shutdown. Glad I caught this thread.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:03:02 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:

An official announcement will be made eventually. I was just wanting to get a jump on things by posting and was curious if Z could say if a date has been decided or not, even if they wouldn't give the date yet lol

Looking at your join date, you came in right after last years shutdown (Read Only) ended.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:10:04 PM
vivendulies wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

The fuzzy feeling of being right. Smile

Laughing

Thanks - I needed that!
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:11:15 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

The 21st is the date I am thinking also since it is on a Friday. If that is the correct date the only prize I can offer is bragging rights? lol Is that good??

Good enough for me!
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:43:59 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Karen Coffelt wrote:

An official announcement will be made eventually. I was just wanting to get a jump on things by posting and was curious if Z could say if a date has been decided or not, even if they wouldn't give the date yet lol

Looking at your join date, you came in right after last years shutdown (Read Only) ended.

Gotchya!
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:22:54 PM
vivendulies wrote:
Cherie De Sues wrote:

There arae changes in many PoDs and I've seen worse in other PoDs. Zazzle in my opinion is still a great place to put ones eggs in.Though it might not be for every one.

Like I said Vivien, every designer will make their own decision of what other P.O.D.'s work for them, or not. I find three very promising and never put all my eggs in one basket. The ebb and flow of a business is natural and I don't intend on complaining about the ebb in the forums...it's doesn't put $ in my pocket or happiness in my heart. So happy holidays Vivien and I hope you do very well this season.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 9:15:31 AM
Cherie De Sues wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
Cherie De Sues wrote:

Like I said Vivien, every designer will make their own decision of what other P.O.D.'s work for them, or not. I find three very promising and never put all my eggs in one basket. The ebb and flow of a business is natural and I don't intend on complaining about the ebb in the forums...it's doesn't put $ in my pocket or happiness in my heart. So happy holidays Vivien and I hope you do very well this season.

It is certainly your choice to just go with the flow and not complain and I am sure Zazzle loves you for it... however that is not at all what the topic of this thread is.

all eggs in one basket has never been the best idea... and Zazzle is still a good choice of baskets and hopefully getting better with the help of designers that are willing to give input.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 9:31:19 AM
Cherie De Sues wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
Cherie De Sues wrote:

It is certainly your choice to just go with the flow and not complain and I am sure Zazzle loves you for it... however that is not at all what the topic of this thread is.

Thank you, Shelli. This thread is about the forum shutdown... To allow for Read Only... during the Christmas and New Year holidays. It has nothing to do with people being discontented, looking to move elsewhere, complaints with Zazzle, complaints of other forum participants, ebb and flow, the price of rice, and/or anything else.

The shutdown has been happening for years and it has never been due to any of the above reasons. It has been due to really only two things. The last thing a person should want to do during the holiday is be in here posting threads, that will get little to no response, due to MODs not being here and/or most other participants not being here, either. That time should be spent with family.

Zazzle used to go away and leave the forums open. Spammers realized that and had a field day. Any designer in the forums would be overrun by spam posts and then MODs would be overrun trying to clean up and helping designers would be delayed.

I suppose I should apologize for not making it clear in my original post as to why there is a holiday shutdown. I, of course, went back to my OP to rectify that.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 1:35:58 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
The shutdown has been happening for years and it has never been due to any of the above reasons. It has been due to really only two things. The last thing a person should want to do during the holiday is be in here posting threads, that will get little to no response, due to MODs not being here and/or most other participants not being here, either. That time should be spent with family.

I only hope they don't launch a new product just before shutdown. I had bugs and nowhere to report them. Sad

But yes, in general, I let my Zazzle store do its own thing as I have food to eat and things to do. It's not a bad thing for everyone to take a break once in a while.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 3:56:52 PM
Cherie De Sues wrote:

Haven't seen that. Zazzle is currently the best.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 4:14:56 PM
I am curious as to why a forum shutdown, to Read Only, would be cause for designers to consider "their next move" and possibly going to/trying out other PODs? Honestly, I am just curious.
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 4:24:36 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
I am curious as to why a forum shutdown, to Read Only, would be cause for designers to consider "their next move" and possibly going to/trying out other PODs? Honestly, I am just curious.

Each year, I've found the shutdown to be a relief, mostly from my own insistence on spending more time here than I should.
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 6:39:32 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:

Each year, I've found the shutdown to be a relief, mostly from my own insistence on spending more time here than I should.

I'm with you. The shutdown gives me an excuse to take a deep breath, spend some time with family, and clear my head.

I'm not looking to leave Zazzle, though I have taken a few sabbaticals over the years. Zazzle is still my top money maker and I can't even keep count of the other PODs I have tried and quit because they just don't hold a candle to the user friendly-ness of Zazzle. I still have a few I keep up with and I have my other project, Ivy and Bat, as well, to keep me occupied when I'm not here.

I guess it all depends on whether you look at the glass as half full or half empty.

Take the shutdown time to review and renew, then come back next year ready to go at it again.
Love
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 7:01:46 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:

Funny but actually Zazzle is my try at other PODs. I came here from RB ( I am still there too) and sales here have been 100% better for me that they ever have been there. I also already have my art for sale at two other venues but that doesn't mean I am quitting here at Zazzle.

I enjoy the forum shutdown for the same reasons already mentioned.

Also though this forum is valuable to everyone including Zazzle, because of the knowledge and ideas shared and for the feedback, both good and bad, that help Zazzle and it's designers improve. So I do look forward to the new year opening of it too.

The first year I was here I spent most of my forum time reading and learning. The holiday shutdown is a good time for newbies and even oldies to do that.

Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 7:38:15 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:

Funny but actually Zazzle is my try at other PODs.

Zazzle came later for me, too. I was loyal to one brand for a long time, I didn't want my designs all over the place and I made good money at the other place.

But things change, for one, due to massive infringement, my designs are in lower quality all over the place ... and my old place didn't show me the same loyalty in the end. Actually recent activities of my first PoD repulsed me and I have a hard time to show them any love these days.

Zazzle is on the way to become my primary PoD but for now the old one still beats zazzle as far as the income is concerned.

As for the forum break, it is only the forum. If I'm in the mood I will use the time to create. I love designing so there is no reason for me not to spend time here at zazzle. And I probably will create products while the forum takes a break.

Redbubble still pays for the occasional pizza. Nothing to write home about, and definitely not a place where I put a lot of effort in.

-Love-
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:02:05 PM
And it was announced.....

Holiday Hiatus
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:48:59 PM
7 days and counting...

gotta get some promoting in!
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:51:14 PM
vivendulies wrote:

As for the forum break, it is only the forum. If I'm in the mood I will use the time to create. I love designing so there is no reason for me not to spend time here at zazzle. And I probably will create products while the forum takes a break.

-Love-

I get a lot of designing done during this time also and more this year since my kids can't come for Christmas...
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 4:06:49 AM
I get a lot of designing done during this time also and more this year since my kids can't come for Christmas...

You're a glass-half-full kind of gal. Roses
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 9:41:29 AM
Colorwash wrote:

You're a glass-half-full kind of gal. Roses

Thank you! I do try! 🥛