Promoting
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 9:21:28 AM
Hello! I'm wondering: what's the best way to promote my store since I don't have a lot of followers on social media and tumblr/pinterest? Thanks
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 9:46:07 AM
Lívia Costa wrote:
Hello! I'm wondering: what's the best way to promote my store since I don't have a lot of followers on social media and tumblr/pinterest? Thanks

Continued use of social media, and add in blog, personal website, business cards, word of mouth.
Post product links in appropriate threads in the Show Me forum. If this thread (List of people who want to be promoted) is still active you can post there.
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 10:16:53 AM
Lívia Costa wrote:

Clever use of tagging. So your items appear in searches as ofter as possible. Since your not the only one using tagging, it is a matter of having the right combo and of coarse the right balance between a flicker appearance in very popular subjects and the long term appearance in a lucrative niche.

Idea

Well, and I suppose participating in promo exchange to profit from a pool of followers. Though my FB friends consist mainly of fellow zazzlers / ar* looking for customers, which isn't exactly helpful. We swirl our designs in a pond with not exactly the right fish.

Laughing

Creating a pool with the right kind of fish is a very narrow marketing game. If I want to promote my hair stylist designs I would have to publish stuff interesting for hair stylists on a regular basis so word of mouth would sweep them my direction.

Since I couldn't care less what hair products are currently in with hair stylist customers and what helps a heir stylist to further his business, I can't bring myself to publish for stylists. My alternative is paying add space for my hair stylist collection, not just once but regularly. Most store owners find every fortnight is a budget friendly interval, which keeps the last ad just enough in the mind for the new ad to be kind of familiar and build trust.

But then I'm somewhat done with the subject and moved on to other subjects ... long story short ... I have neither the will, nor the budget or the time for the interest focused campaigns for all the different designs.

I love the variety and I'm aware that it is not really the most economical use of my time but it is for me the most fun and so far I have enough income to live off my designs.

So I'm happy living with less money and more fun.
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 10:50:10 AM
Lívia Costa wrote:

It takes time to develop your following. Here are some ideas.

1. If you have a relative or friend with a large following on say twitter or facebook, ask them if you can place you collections on their sites. Just remember to add your facebook or twitter pages to the ad you've created to get more of a following to your pages.

2. A blog will gather a quick following if you connect it with Pinterest. Each blog entry will go on your twitter, facebook page and other social media. This generates a great deal of interest for your products.

3. Cut your marketing time in half by setting up a free account at buffer.com.
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2018 9:43:35 AM
I opened my Zazzle store March first , I have currently some items posted and can't sell nothing. Moreover I get so few views, that my most viewed item has only 5 or 6 views. My products have big difficulty in getting viewed. I try to tag and name items the proper way. I'm also promoting my stuff on Pinterest: my audience seems to increase on that website, but I found out almost none of my followers get to my Zazzle page from Pinterest. Ok I'm a beginner, nevertheless in my opinion some products of mine are pretty interesting: mobile devices covers/cases and apparel.Sad I think maybe someone can suggest me my problem on my produts need your feeback

https://www.zazzle.com/gps_apparel
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2018 10:24:07 AM
Uvais Kp wrote:
I opened my Zazzle store March first , I have currently some items posted and can't sell nothing. Moreover I get so few views, that my most viewed item has only 5 or 6 views. My products have big difficulty in getting viewed. I try to tag and name items the proper way. I'm also promoting my stuff on Pinterest: my audience seems to increase on that website, but I found out almost none of my followers get to my Zazzle page from Pinterest. Ok I'm a beginner, nevertheless in my opinion some products of mine are pretty interesting: mobile devices covers/cases and apparel.Sad I think maybe someone can suggest me my problem on my produts need your feeback

Without looking at your store, the main "problem" is expecting sales after just a month. Smile
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2018 10:13:31 PM
Uvais Kp wrote:

I checked out your GPS apparel store and the 5 collections you've created. You didn't read the directions on how to set up your store to be active in the marketplace.

1. Read all the directions on starting your store and getting a Zrank of 4 or more.
2. You need 10 collections and each must contain 7 products.
3. You need to add products every day.
4. Don't expect to sell when you are not in the marketplace yet, so go back to #1 and read the directions to get your store in order.

We all had to do this and it is time consuming but necessary. Don't get frustrated, there are some great designers on this forum who will spend time to help you. But first you need to get your store in order. Happy
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 2:18:19 AM
Thanks for your Comments on my store, I think i can fix that and do some more products , Thank you so much
So i am confused about one thing , So your saying my store isnot active to buy for the customers?
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 7:26:51 AM
Another thing you should consider is spell checking your work. For instance you spelt the word "friends" wrong on all of your friends products and friendship wrong in numerous product names.
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 7:03:23 PM
If you build it. They will come.
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 11:32:29 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have started my Zazzle store in Dec but actively started working from Jan end only. Till now i have added around 2k products and my store have zazzle rating of 4 with no followers except myself. I have made no sales till date! Can i request you all to spare sometime, and visit my store and let me know where exactly i m going wrongSmile

https://www.zazzle.com/bollywoodloveqoutes/products?st=DateCreated&pg=1

thanks
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:13:34 PM
R PIlaniwala wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have started my Zazzle store in Dec but actively started working from Jan end only. Till now i have added around 2k products and my store have zazzle rating of 4 with no followers except myself. I have made no sales till date! Can i request you all to spare sometime, and visit my store and let me know where exactly i m going wrongSmile

thanks

you did nt get any sales? still
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 6:26:41 AM
R PIlaniwala wrote:
Hello Everyone,

thanks

The three most important things to master when trying to sell online are
Title
Description
Keywords *Tags*

Until you get these right, you won't sell very well.

There are literally HUNDREDS of posts regarding these subjects. You don't have to read all of them, but they all say the same thing. Title, Description, Keywords.

In just the first three examples I pulled from your store, the issue is obvious.

Take some time and study the guidelines given, and straighten out what you have. The designs are valid, the wording you choose to use is not.
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 11:20:55 AM
R PIlaniwala wrote:
Hello Everyone,

thanks

You've done a great job setting up your store, now you need to MARKET.Idea
Sign up with Twitter, Google+, Facebook and Pinterest. Set up pinterest with all of your products by collection, and start following other pinterest folk. I can't express enough how much marketing is necessary to be successful.

Look for affiliates who want to market your products for you on the forum. Good luck!
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:44:55 AM
Google Plus! Use their communities, it is a great way to join a ton of pages and promote your products! It is working out great for me!
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 9:23:28 AM
Posts like this show up every once in a while, so I am curious... is there a guide or a how-to out there that someone here has used that shows a method or step-by-step way of doing this social media marketing that is so important? If there is one, that would make a great sticky post. Signing up with Twitter and Facebook and all that is easy. Getting people to follow you? Not so much. How do you find people, or communities, or twitter-ers, who are genuinely interested in what you have to offer? (I don't mean other sellers/designers. I mean shoppers.)

If there is a guide like that out there, I'd be keen on seeing it.
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 5:46:13 PM
Stargazer wrote:
Posts like this show up every once in a while, so I am curious... is there a guide or a how-to out there that someone here has used that shows a method or step-by-step way of doing this social media marketing that is so important? If there is one, that would make a great sticky post. Signing up with Twitter and Facebook and all that is easy. Getting people to follow you? Not so much. How do you find people, or communities, or twitter-ers, who are genuinely interested in what you have to offer? (I don't mean other sellers/designers. I mean shoppers.)

If there is a guide like that out there, I'd be keen on seeing it.

I don't know of a guide but I share my products via the built in share buttons as soon as I make them to SM like Pinterest, Twitter etc... then sometimes I will take a screenshot on make special post using it with a link to my product page so I can make it look more like a blog post with some info. I try to only promote on SM that are promo friendly like Twitter and G+ and Pint. Facebook is not friendly to ads anymore so I dropped them. Truly though I am a heavy promoter and I still get more sales from the general MP than from my links. Go Figure!
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 4:28:58 AM
Tough Love Post

Honestly, I've seen this kind of thread on Z for years and not one person has ever said what I am going to.

If you are serious about promoting your products you have to do the research. There are many blogs out there for folks trying to navigate social media platforms. You have to understand how they work before you can put them to work. You will never be successful by just posting your products and not engaging with people. If you are not being social forget social media.

Simply Put

1. Don't just post a zazzle product and walk away.

2. Post something other than zazzle products on your accounts. Otherwise you are spamming.

3. Follow people who have the same interests and engage with them.

4. Read up on social media platforms and how they work. Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest have all changed how they work in the past 6 months. Posting Z products alone on several of these social media platforms now are going to hurt your efforts.

5. The first place to look for current social media changes are on the respective blogs.

If you aren't going to do the work (sharing with the share button isn't work) you might as well stop "promoting".

All this is coming from a place of love. Roses
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 5:41:52 AM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:

Honestly, I've seen this kind of thread on Z for years and not one person has ever said what I am going to.

I say this all the time! You have to be social on social media; that's how it works. I feel like a broken record. Laughing I usually don't bother anymore, because no one listens. Stick out tongue
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 5:46:59 AM
I totally agree with LM on everything she said, and especially on this part:

LM Gildersleeve wrote:
If you are not being social forget social media.

Speaking for myself, I genuinely tried to set up a couple of blogs and engage and post cute stuff along with my products (you know, flowers, puppies, quotes, blah-blah) and ended up abandoning both and hating social media even more than before. It is not that something is wrong with them or with me; it is that there is work you love and know how to do it, and there is work you do because it is "required", forcing yourself to do it, asking yourself what the hell you are doing and who all those people are.

So, good news are, being social and being on social media is NOT required. After I stopped to do what I do not love, and focused exclusively on creating, I started sell more and my sales have been growing ever since. I solely rely on the marketplace and affiliates (god bless them).
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 6:34:54 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
I say this all the time! You have to be social on social media; that's how it works. I feel like a broken record. Laughing I usually don't bother anymore, because no one listens. Stick out tongue

lol I seem to recall you had said something on this matter. And yes, I did give up giving any advice about this subject. But today, seeing the posts in this thread... something pushed me over the edge.

Laughing

Witty Betty wrote:
After I stopped to do what I do not love, and focused exclusively on creating, I started sell more and my sales have been growing ever since. I solely rely on the marketplace and affiliates (god bless them).

Now there you go. Do what you love and the money will follow. Stay positive!
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 8:57:05 AM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Tough Love Post

If you are serious about promoting your products you have to do the research. There are many blogs out there for folks trying to navigate social media platforms. You have to understand how they work before you can put them to work. You will never be successful by just posting your products and not engaging with people. If you are not being social forget social media.

Simply Put

1. Don't just post a zazzle product and walk away.

2. Post something other than zazzle products on your accounts. Otherwise you are spamming.

3. Follow people who have the same interests and engage with them.

4. Read up on social media platforms and how they work. Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest have all changed how they work in the past 6 months. Posting Z products alone on several of these social media platforms now are going to hurt your efforts.

5. The first place to look for current social media changes are on the respective blogs.

If you aren't going to do the work (sharing with the share button isn't work) you might as well stop "promoting".

All this is coming from a place of love. Roses

I do agree with what you have said LM and it also needs to be said that you can follow all of the guidelines you gave and even more (paid promotions and sponsored ads) and still not see many sales come from your efforts.

Facebook recently has been throttling who they show your posts to and by only showing them to people you already interact with, they have seriously hindered your potential to reach new customers. You are now only reaching people you have already reached, unless you want to pay to play. Let us just hope that Twitter and G+ do not become that way also.

And of course interaction is required in order to make the most of SM promotion. Also reciprocation and sharing and commenting on other peoples posts and featuring their work on your blog sometimes. The old "what goes around comes around" rule still works. It can be time consuming though.

and then there is the "your mileage may vary" factor. What works for you may not work for everybody.

Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:53:13 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

Facebook recently has been throttling who they show your posts to and by only showing them to people you already interact with, they have seriously hindered your potential to reach new customers.

They have been doing that for years now! Only a fraction of your followers will ever see your posts. Instagram is the same. Twitter might too, but I don't like Twitter, so I don't care, lol.
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 10:12:26 AM
Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate the candor. I have done the research, which is one reason for asking the question here. This wasn't an off-the-cuff question, but one born of frustration. Years ago, the PODs told us we had to use social media to advertise our stuff, which means being on social media is required if we want to make more sales. I have been trying for years, with little success.

I post products I make, because that's what I do. It's my job, and it's what I enjoy. My other interests have no bearing on the designs I make. I don't make designs for my interests, I made designs for people to buy. I post those, so I guess that means I'm a spammer. By social media logic, I should interact with other designers. People who are sellers, not buyers. That doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you again for the replies.
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:20:12 PM
Stargazer wrote:
Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate the candor. I have done the research, which is one reason for asking the question here. This wasn't an off-the-cuff question, but one born of frustration. Years ago, the PODs told us we had to use social media to advertise our stuff, which means being on social media is required if we want to make more sales. I have been trying for years, with little success.

I post products I make, because that's what I do. It's my job, and it's what I enjoy. My other interests have no bearing on the designs I make. I don't make designs for my interests, I made designs for people to buy. I post those, so I guess that means I'm a spammer. By social media logic, I should interact with other designers. People who are sellers, not buyers. That doesn't make sense to me.

-If you enjoy podcast, I have found that Social Media Marketing with Michael Stelzner is very helpful and informative.

-You don't have to just post products. You could post in progress works, (sketches, talk about the type of materials you use, enjoying your creative side, etc.)

-Social media these days seems to be about engagement, so even if you're interacting with other designers, it's helping their social media post. Plus, I enjoy interacting with designers whose work I enjoy. If they interact with my social media, great! If not, that's fine. Smile

-You don't have to do every form of social media or promotion out there. Find a type of promotion you enjoy. Promoting off line is helpful as well. I have a shirt with my website on it, a bumper sticker on my car and business cards.

Good luck!
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:54:24 PM
Stargazer wrote:

Hi Deborah,

Twitter is the only SM I have been able to build those elusive ties with potential buyers with. I also have lots of other designers and artists in my followers but the retweet factor reaches out to their followers who hopefully also have some non designers. I have a blog post explaining why I think Twitter is such a great promotional tool for artists if you are interested in reading it here is a link.

https://shellibean.weebly.com/resources-for-creatives/twitter-for-artists

I also like G+ but Twitter is where I think the sales potential could be if used correctly. I also belong to a couple of lists on Twitter where we do a sort of coop promotion by retweeting each others pinned tweets at least twice a week. This has really grown my following, my reach and link clicks. Most of the list members are from another Pod that I belong to but they sometimes RT my Zazzle posts too.
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:14:00 PM
I promote offline. And I don't mean just handing out business cards. When people see products in person, they get a whole new perspective, literally. They are used to seeing stuff like printed tee shirts or art prints, but not the type of unique designs and products I have displayed at festivals, expos and other events.

What I do never look similar to what others are doing and they are aware the prints stem from my own original creations because they can also see the real items on display as well. Also I am often creating by hand at events. My last event was a local festival 4/21/18. I also have my own long time website, so I promote online also, including on social media. But promoting offline is very different for obvious reasons. Smile
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 7:12:18 PM
just a heads up, I am using this zazzle Promotional Tools to display my zazzle products on my website, it works great
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:04:56 PM
WittyBetty wrote:
I totally agree with LM on everything she said, and especially on this part:

LM Gildersleeve wrote:
If you are not being social forget social media.

Speaking for myself, I genuinely tried to set up a couple of blogs and engage and post cute stuff along with my products (you know, flowers, puppies, quotes, blah-blah) and ended up abandoning both and hating social media even more than before. It is not that something is wrong with them or with me; it is that there is work you love and know how to do it, and there is work you do because it is "required", forcing yourself to do it, asking yourself what the hell you are doing and who all those people are.

So, good news are, being social and being on social media is NOT required. After I stopped to do what I do not love, and focused exclusively on creating, I started sell more and my sales have been growing ever since. I solely rely on the marketplace and affiliates (god bless them).

I like everything you said here, Betty, and I'm following your lead. God willing, this will work for me, as well, as I just don't have time for all the social media promotion. Designing alone takes up so much of my time. Between work and designing, there's little time left for promotion, and I dislike it immensely on top of that.