Ohio State University wants to trademark the word 'The'
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:33:26 AM
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:49:21 AM
Oh for pity’s sake - trademarking is getting completely out of hand.... if you ask me a single word should *never* be trademark eligible on its own. If it is a unique logo - then fine, but only when it is used in an exact font/ logo configuration, or is a totally made up word like Pepsi, then I can see allowing it, but blanket ownership of a word...... ridiculous
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:55:48 AM
Maz wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/us/the-ohio-state-university-trademark-trnd/index.html

:rollseyes:


It doesn't surprise me. That's OSU for ya. They filed trademarks for the names and likenesses of former coaches Urban Meyer and Woody Hayes and the term "the shoe". They also tried to trademark "OSU", but of course many had a problem with that including Oregon State University and Oklahoma State University.

Ohio State representatives responded with this...

"Like other institutions, Ohio State works to vigorously protect the university's brand and trademarks. These assets hold significant value, which benefits our students and faculty and the broader community by supporting our core academic mission of teaching and research."

I suppose their objective is to teach greed and research nothing.
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:06:38 AM
Clearly the point anymore is not to protect one's trade-related marks, but to exploit the law in order to corner the market on specific words or phrases.

It's all about greed.
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:07:40 AM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
I suppose their objective is to teach greed and research nothing.

Exactly!
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:46:47 AM
I hope they get pi all over their face.
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:02:47 PM
seriously?Shocked

And regarding OSU there can only be one... LOL

GO POKES!
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:07:39 PM
Well, I think that it has been only in the last ten years that they add the to The Ohio State University before that it was just Ohio State University. However, they started their trademark everything and protect it diligently in the 70s. They started by stoppng senior citizens from using the scarlet and gray color combination on the items they made to sell at the Columbus Recreation Department's Golden Hobby Shop.

As far as research, they have found a way to make that profitable. It used to be that professors had to publish. Now they have to get research grants and do research and the university takes a chunk of the research grant because the professor is using university faciities to do the research. Around 2008, the Dean of the College of Art told me that OSU was a research university not a teaching university????
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:30:25 PM
If you want to see more stuff like this, check out the FB group: Trademark Watchdogs. (Mama Bear, Drama Llama, etc.)

People there are filing Letters of Protests (LOPs) and stopping TM trolls!
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:22:56 PM
Want to annoy Ohio State. Before the get their trademark, make products with "the" on them and cross the "the" out with a blue x similar to University of Michigan's blue. During Michigan week any m's on any signs on campus are crossed out with a scarlet x. You could even add "no trademark".
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:44:20 PM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Want to annoy Ohio State. Before the get their trademark, make products with "the" on them and cross the "the" out with a blue x similar to University of Michigan's blue. During Michigan week any m's on any signs on campus are crossed out with a scarlet x. You could even add "no trademark".


lol
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:59:58 AM
It's so absurd that it's made national news. I saw it this morning.
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:16:35 PM
Colorwash wrote:
It's so absurd that it's made national news. I saw it this morning.

One wonders if that wasn't the point all along.
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:34:32 PM
somethingartish wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
It's so absurd that it's made national news. I saw it this morning.

One wonders if that wasn't the point all along.


Are they really that hard up for attention that they are willing to make themselves look like greedy fools to get it? Wow...
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:47:08 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I hope they get pi all over their face.
Lol, it's still kind of unbelievable that pi could even be trademarked and pretty unforgivable that Zazzle would cave in to the owner of pi and remove thousands of designs. Even though they eventually relented after people got very vocal about someone trademarking a 2,000 year old symbol, they failed to do that with other abusive trademarks, like "Yeti" for example.

That they would even allow these takedowns pretty much opens the door to even more trademark abuse once people discover they can use a trademark to corner a market, but the real criminal element here is the USPTO, so even though it's laughable that someone could try and trademark "THE", I wouldn't be surprised if they actually succeeded. The question then is, will they try to enforce it and what would Zazzle do if they got a takedown notice? Fight it, or delete a few million designs?
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 12:27:18 PM
Heard about this on the radio the other day and thought, OMG! What next? How do we protest this? How can "the" be trademarked?

In the case of pi, isn't is Pi. (with a period)? Wouldn't pi without the period be allowed to be used commercially? It just baffles the mind.
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 12:38:33 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Heard about this on the radio the other day and thought, OMG! What next? How do we protest this? How can "the" be trademarked?

In the case of pi, isn't is Pi. (with a period)? Wouldn't pi without the period be allowed to be used commercially? It just baffles the mind.

I don't think you were here for the pi fiasco. Some idiot managed to copyright it with a period and then all kinds of places were gone after for using legitimate pi designs. They were removed here on Zazzle, and the roof was raised by lots of designers. Zazzle looked into the game being played and reinstated all the pi designs.

I believe (and hope) the U.S. copyright office has denied "the." Maybe they were listening to or watching the news and had the same reaction that you had.
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 4:30:38 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Heard about this on the radio the other day and thought, OMG! What next? How do we protest this? How can "the" be trademarked?

In the case of pi, isn't is Pi. (with a period)? Wouldn't pi without the period be allowed to be used commercially? It just baffles the mind.

I don't think you were here for the pi fiasco. Some idiot managed to copyright it with a period and then all kinds of places were gone after for using legitimate pi designs. They were removed here on Zazzle, and the roof was raised by lots of designers. Zazzle looked into the game being played and reinstated all the pi designs.

I believe (and hope) the U.S. copyright office has denied "the." Maybe they were listening to or watching the news and had the same reaction that you had.


No, I wasn't here for that fiasco, but I did hear about it.Shocked
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 4:51:09 PM
IIRC Zazzle posted the DMCA notice they received (or part of it). It may have been in one of the pro forums. I thought immediately it was B.S., because the person who wrote it didn’t know the difference between trademark and copyright.
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:23:02 PM
DENIED!!!!!

OSU was only trying to trademark it as applied to their athletic wear. However, the word "the" was seen as ornamental, so it was denied. You can read the whole denial letter at nbc4i.com
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:31:32 PM
MarBethHolidays wrote:
DENIED!!!!!

OSU was only trying to trademark it as applied to their athletic wear. However, the word "the" was seen as ornamental, so it was denied. You can read the whole denial letter at nbc4i.com


Good!
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:39:40 PM
Now and then THE good guys win.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded