More Love 3 pages: 1 [2] 3
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:56:52 AM
This one always makes me smile... just wanted to share Love Love Love Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0d9Q72ZUqI
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 11:23:07 AM
Rebecca@ZingerBug wrote:
I'm so very sorry about the kitty. I care for ferals too, and I know that just because you can't touch them, doesn't mean you can't love them. Sending you virtual purrs. Roses Roses

Thank you for your thoughts, ZingerBug, and thank you for caring for them Love
Yes, they may be evil devils sometimes, opportunists and egoists most of the time and not caring at all for the ones who care for them, except for food and shelter, and they know well how to brainwashing you, so they get what they want Laughing

Nonetheless, will miss the little critter. But enough sad stuff, let's enjoy that weekend. And now cooking. Sweet-sour curry rice tonight Smile
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 11:49:19 AM
Kelly @ CS Invitations wrote:
Goats milk soap will be coming out of my ears!! Laughing Have fun with your sewing project!!

Soap has been on my back burner for a while! But goats milk? How do you do that? Add a percentage of milk to the fat/lye mixture?

I now have two pairs of lounge pants completed and a third left to go. There could have been more, but I bought enough fabric for only three, and the fabric store is on the other side of forever with scary traffic circles in between, so maybe I'll go to the outlet store and buy matching tops for the pants.

Bon voyage, Gina! I envy your relocation to the coast. The ocean with its sounds and smells (and seafood) are sheer heaven in my mind.

PetsDreamlands, focus on the kitties who are still sitting around looking pretty and thinking about how to make life difficult for humans. Whether feral or not, it's what cats do. They have excellent senses of humor.
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:00:38 PM
Here is a cat story that should make you laugh.

Our last landlady roommate had her 22 year old son living with her. They had two dogs and four cats. The last cat added was 1 years old. The son and the girlfriend got her one week before they broke up. My sister and I had played with and basically socialized multiple litters of kittens when we were young. Julia acted a bit feral. She decided she was the boss of everyone human and animal. Our landlady and her son were a bit afraid of her because she had the fastest claw in the west. My sister and I went with what's a few scrarches. We gave her attention first which she liked. She started hanging out with us. Then she started letting us pick her up. So one night, our landlady's son decided to pick her up. He was nice looking. Well, he picked up, cradling her with her back side down. In one second, she looked up at him, decided she didn't like his face (our interpretation) and out came lightening paw to rake him across the face. Oops!
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:50:02 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Goats milk soap will be coming out of my ears!! Laughing Have fun with your sewing project!!

Soap has been on my back burner for a while! But goats milk? How do you do that? Add a percentage of milk to the fat/lye mixture?

I now have two pairs of lounge pants completed and a third left to go. There could have been more, but I bought enough fabric for only three, and the fabric store is on the other side of forever with scary traffic circles in between, so maybe I'll go to the outlet store and buy matching tops for the pants.

Bon voyage, Gina! I envy your relocation to the coast. The ocean with its sounds and smells (and seafood) are sheer heaven in my mind.

PetsDreamlands, focus on the kitties who are still sitting around looking pretty and thinking about how to make life difficult for humans. Whether feral or not, it's what cats do. They have excellent senses of humor.

I completely replace the water with goats milk that I freeze an thaw to a slush so that the lye doesnt scorch the milk! I own a goat that is milking right now so...when in Rome!! Lol
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 4:49:49 PM
Thank you so much Lise for posting this thread. Taking time to smell the roses, count our blessings, no matter what else is going on ... is so important to remembering who we truly are.
Love Love Love
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:10:07 PM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Here is a cat story that should make you laugh...

LOL, I feel with that poor guy. One day my sister's Persian kitty jumped off the balcony (third floor!) and disappeared. We searched her everywhere, in vain. 3 days later I got told by neighbors they had probably found the kitty, so I went with them and, indeed, there she was, hidden in a garage under a ton of stuff and completely terrorized. I managed to catch her after x attempts and ran all the steps upwards to the apartment, holding her tightly. When I let her down, my hands were bleeding and so were part of my face and neck. I was practically ready for ER.

I was always a dog guy and never really cared about cats until I started taking care of ferals and adopting and raising abandoned kitties. Talking of my personal experience, one single cat can be more painful to handle than a pack of 10 dogs. Especially when they're sick or panicked.
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:16:47 PM
Colorwash wrote:

LOL, I hear you. Especially your last sentence. Laughing
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 6:41:16 PM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:

Well, since we're sharing cat stories...

When I was in the 7th grade I took a Home Economics course at school. They probably don't offer them anymore, it's stuff like sewing and cooking. Anyhow, my big sewing project was a cropped tank top which covered my chest but left my belly exposed.

Soo... I was proudly wearing my new creation, and playing with my new kitten in the backyard, when my mother decided to take the car out. We had one of those big heavy wooden garage doors, and it made a terrible noise when you opened or closed it. So, in my infinite 12-year-old wisdom, I decided that the best thing to do would be to pick up the kitten and hold him tight so the noise wouldn't scare him. There I was, holding the kitten against my bare belly, and as soon as the door opened he totally freaked out, and in his panic to get away from the noise, he left four 6-inch long parallel scratches running all the way across my bare belly! There were blood stains all over my tank top, so I never got to wear it again.

And that's how I learned that holding a cat tight is not exactly the best way to calm them in case of panic! Grin
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 7:06:05 PM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:

Our last landlady roommate had her 22 year old son living with her. They had two dogs and four cats. The last cat added was 1 years old. The son and the girlfriend got her one week before they broke up. My sister and I had played with and basically socialized multiple litters of kittens when we were young. Julia acted a bit feral. She decided she was the boss of everyone human and animal. Our landlady and her son were a bit afraid of her because she had the fastest claw in the west. My sister and I went with what's a few scrarches. We gave her attention first which she liked. She started hanging out with us. Then she started letting us pick her up. So one night, our landlady's son decided to pick her up. He was nice looking. Well, he picked up, cradling her with her back side down. In one second, she looked up at him, decided she didn't like his face (our interpretation) and out came lightening paw to rake him across the face. Oops!

A lot of cats don’t much like being held like babies.Then again, maybe the cat was having a bad hair day.

Years ago, I had two food inspector cats. When I came home from the market with meat, I’d drop a small piece on the floor. If they ate it, all was well. If, on the other hand, they shook a foot at it and walked away, I knew to cook the meat really well.

Kelly, is the soap easier on skin?
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 8:52:30 PM
Colorwash wrote:

Truth. They own us - and are constantly training us to make their life easier, not ours.
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 5:53:25 AM
Colorwash wrote:
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:

A lot of cats don’t much like being held like babies.Then again, maybe the cat was having a bad hair day.

Years ago, I had two food inspector cats. When I came home from the market with meat, I’d drop a small piece on the floor. If they ate it, all was well. If, on the other hand, they shook a foot at it and walked away, I knew to cook the meat really well.

Kelly, is the soap easier on skin?

Goats milk soap is definitely more nourishing and creamy but also depends on the fats that you add. Too many hard oils make the bar kinda of hard and dry (too much coconut oil) but a nice mixture with lard, olive oil and sunflower is nice. I add a little caster oil as well.
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:18:09 AM
Colorwash wrote:

Just chiming in to say goats milk soap is amazing for dry skin (which I have). I have almost only used goats milk soap for the last 20 years. I can always feel a difference in my skin when I run out and have to use commercial soaps or body washes.

@Kelly do you sell yours or just make small batches? We bought some Nigerian dwarf goats so we could raise them and make our own cheese and soaps. It did not work out for us because the are magicians and kept getting out and roaming the neighborhood on top of multiplying like crazy! My husband never did even try to milk one. Laughing I was going to video tape that since he is not a farm boy. Lol.
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 10:14:29 AM
This thread makes me feel good. Sewing, cats, goats, soap... Now that's what life is all about.
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:09:31 AM
Malissa Melrose wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Just chiming in to say goats milk soap is amazing for dry skin (which I have). I have almost only used goats milk soap for the last 20 years. I can always feel a difference in my skin when I run out and have to use commercial soaps or body washes.

@Kelly do you sell yours or just make small batches? We bought some Nigerian dwarf goats so we could raise them and make our own cheese and soaps. It did not work out for us because the are magicians and kept getting out and roaming the neighborhood on top of multiplying like crazy! My husband never did even try to milk one. Laughing I was going to video tape that since he is not a farm boy. Lol.

Not selling yet but plan to start in the spring. We are in the process of buying the hobby farm that we are leasing which has a small store front on the barn. We only have a single goat at the moment. She was pregnant when we got her and she had twins but they were stillborn Sad so my husband has been milking her for a few months but she is just about done I think. She's not putting out as much milk as she used to. We plan to get more. Shes been very good about staying on the property but that may be because WE are her herd and shes staying close but if she gets goat friends they may decide to go out on the town..lol
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:16:33 AM
Colorwash wrote:
This thread makes me feel good. Sewing, cats, goats, soap... Now that's what life is all about.

+1 Laughing Laughing Laughing Love Love Love
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:26:25 AM

Not selling yet but plan to start in the spring. We are in the process of buying the hobby farm that we are leasing which has a small store front on the barn. We only have a single goat at the moment. She was pregnant when we got her and she had twins but they were stillborn Sad so my husband has been milking her for a few months but she is just about done I think. She's not putting out as much milk as she used to. We plan to get more. Shes been very good about staying on the property but that may be because WE are her herd and shes staying close but if she gets goat friends they may decide to go out on the town..lol

I'm not sure if you already have a certain breed you want to stick to, but we picked the Nigerian Dwarfs because they put out a lot of milk that is rich and has a high fat content. When you start selling your soap, message me. I would love to buy some from you!
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 12:57:37 PM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:

Gina safe journey and hazah to the new beginning! Smile

Thank You! Roses I appreciate that very much!

Colorwash wrote:

Thank You! Roses

There is so much to look forward to! And, with seafood being my fave food, well I will be in Hog Heaven! hehe

Next to Niagara Falls, the coast is my fave place to be! I haven't been able to visit as often in the past several years, so I consider myself lucky to be able to make up for that by moving there!
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 2:20:34 PM
Don't give anyone your address. You'll be mobbed!
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 2:26:25 PM
MelroseOriginals wrote:

I'm not sure if you already have a certain breed you want to stick to, but we picked the Nigerian Dwarfs because they put out a lot of milk that is rich and has a high fat content. When you start selling your soap, message me. I would love to buy some from you!

Thank you! I will! Roses

Queenie (our goat) is a Nigerian Dwarf!!
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 2:33:05 PM
The general populace thinks of goats as just something to take care of in the way one takes care of cows, but the few people I've met who have goats, including the neighbor down the road, end up falling in love with them. One of my neighbor's goats always stuck by his side, and if he put her in the pen with the few other goats he had, she'd set up a racket, calling to him. She adored him, and of course, he adored her in return.
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 2:59:57 PM
I've heard goats are smart and playful. I've heard about a woman who owned a goat which would do all the funny things including jumping on a table on the terrace when guests were there and coming to each guest to kiss them.
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 4:21:29 PM
Omg...our goat is extremely attached to my husband. She calls out for him all the time and when he drives the farm truck around the property she chases it like a dog bleating the whole time. Lol
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 5:46:06 PM
Lol I miss my goats. And the chickens,ducks, and turkeys, and everything else I had to give up moving to the city.

Anyways... My kitty is sleeping on me after she fell asleep watching me type stuff. That makes me so happy. She was a poor little feral I found sick on my porch one winter night. For the first month I rarely saw her as she liked to stay hidden. Then she would sneak into bed at night but the moment she noticed that I was awake she would run away. Now she's pretty much stuck to me like glue and the vet says she is the best sweetest cat she has ever seen. I happen to agree with the vet. She's so cute and I never get to be alone in the bathroom. Lol When I shower she is there on the other side of the curtain waiting making sure I didn't drown.
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 4:54:56 AM
Malissa Melrose wrote:

Malissa, is there a particular brand you get, or is it that just about any goat's milk soap is better than commercial stuff? I think I need to try some!
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 7:40:07 AM
PaperGrape wrote:
Malissa Melrose wrote:

Malissa, is there a particular brand you get, or is it that just about any goat's milk soap is better than commercial stuff? I think I need to try some!

I always buy handmade goats milk soaps, but not any brand. I support various local and online handmade shops. When we go to Canton First Monday (a huge monthly flea market here in East Texas)I'll usually pick up a few bars, there is Lori's soap shop in Branson, MO where I pick up some when we visit my in-laws, and various shops on Etsy.

Etsy is probably the easiest place to start and there are shops that have goats milk lotions, shampoos, and other body and face care. I also love any of the ones that add avocado, olive, or coconut oils. It's great for dry skin, ecxema, and sensitive skin. I think once you start using it you will be hooked. I tend to favor oatmeal and honey, but I use all kinds of scents.

As others are saying, our goats were so sweet! They really loved my husband and would follow him all over the property. They all had different personalities too. Love
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 9:01:37 AM
Just leaning back thinking about this and remembering when I was kid and had a friend on a farm, I realized all the animals had their own personalities, some lovable, some not so much, some peculiar, etc. Also, the animal that was nice to one person might not be so nice to another. My friend and I enjoyed riding two pintos on the farm, and it wasn't until years later that she told me the pony I got along with so well didn't like her at all and was mean. I, in the meantime, had my doubts about the pony she favored.

Regardless of the type of animal, they're all such honest souls.
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 9:48:07 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
PaperGrape wrote:
Malissa Melrose wrote:

I always buy handmade goats milk soaps, but not any brand. I support various local and online handmade shops. When we go to Canton First Monday (a huge monthly flea market here in East Texas)I'll usually pick up a few bars, there is Lori's soap shop in Branson, MO where I pick up some when we visit my in-laws, and various shops on Etsy.

Etsy is probably the easiest place to start and there are shops that have goats milk lotions, shampoos, and other body and face care. I also love any of the ones that add avocado, olive, or coconut oils. It's great for dry skin, ecxema, and sensitive skin. I think once you start using it you will be hooked. I tend to favor oatmeal and honey, but I use all kinds of scents.

As others are saying, our goats were so sweet! They really loved my husband and would follow him all over the property. They all had different personalities too. Love

Thank you! Love
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 5:50:04 PM
You are welcome Paper Grape!
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:11:55 PM
We got on the elevator tonight and a very pleasant gentleman got on with us. He spoke. We said, "Hi, how you doing?" and he replied, "Living the dream." This is not a dump. It is a recently remodeled extended stay but is is not one of the hotels that I have written about where a room service cupcake is $13. However, if you take the elevator to the first floor and walk five feet, you can get two cupcakes for $1, cash only. We use debit cards. Anyhow, I would rather get the minimal exercise and get 26 cupcakes for $13 rather than no exercise and get one cupcake. That is if I felt like gorging and getting sick. So, he is right, we are living the dream. Smile