June Sales 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 12:35:51 AM
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:
Catherine Sweetman wrote:
Yes I agree, June sales are painfully slow at the moment.

Hey Catherine, with your birthday dinosaur cards, you should add "birthday" to the title. In your description talk about it being a personalized birthday card, and make sure you have tags that read "birthday" "dinosaur birthday" "happy birthday" so that people can find those cards.

After you do that, make those cards and some coordinating birthday supplies (like the wrapping paper, party hats, etc) a birthday themed collection.

Once people begin to find you, you will start seeing more sales.

Does Zazzle want a lot of repetition now? I am asking because of your birthday advice to the designer.

Due to the fact that as a professional I don't have time to waste always re-doing, undoing or playing guessing games I have simply done very little or nothing on Zazzle or promoting Zazzle for a while now. Once I see some reasonable stability in Zazzle's direction I may get back to working on my Zazzle store.

I have been focusing on my real life business and realized how much time I had wasted by taking away time from my own business just for Zazzle. The good news is I did not deactivate my Zazzle store and still purchase from it. Zazzle also still benefit from my long presence online (Wikipedia, Youtube, website, social media). I need to update media on my Zazzle store (delete Zazzle postcards with Zazzle stamps, add photos of more recent products purchased etc) and go through my entire Zazzle store to check for out of stock or discontinued items (not always listed or removed by Zazzle automatically).

Zazzle is still a mystery and unnecessarily very time consuming due to constant changes and vague information. So I was wondering where your advice came from because birthday seems to be repetitive. Smile
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:17:18 AM
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:

Hey Catherine, with your birthday dinosaur cards, you should add "birthday" to the title. In your description talk about it being a personalized birthday card, and make sure you have tags that read "birthday" "dinosaur birthday" "happy birthday" so that people can find those cards.

After you do that, make those cards and some coordinating birthday supplies (like the wrapping paper, party hats, etc) a birthday themed collection.

Does Zazzle want a lot of repetition now? I am asking because of your birthday advice to the designer.

Due to the fact that as a professional I don't have time to waste always re-doing, undoing or playing guessing games I have simply done very little or nothing on Zazzle or promoting Zazzle for a while now. Once I see some reasonable stability in Zazzle's direction I may get back to working on my Zazzle store.

I have been focusing on my real life business and realized how much time I had wasted by taking away time from my own business just for Zazzle. The good news is I did not deactivate my Zazzle store and still purchase from it. Zazzle also still benefit from my long presence online (Wikipedia, Youtube, website, social media). I need to update media on my Zazzle store (delete Zazzle postcards with Zazzle stamps, add photos of more recent products purchased etc) and go through my entire Zazzle store to check for out of stock or discontinued items (not always listed or removed by Zazzle automatically).

Zazzle is still a mystery and unnecessarily very time consuming due to constant changes and vague information. So I was wondering where your advice came from because birthday seems to be repetitive. Smile

I gave her that advice because she had birthday cards; but her title, description and tags did not specify that they were birthday cards. So they were automatically grouped as "holiday cards".
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:40:57 AM
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:

I gave her that advice because she had birthday cards; but her title, description and tags did not specify that they were birthday cards. So they were automatically grouped as "holiday cards".

Oh OK. I was actually referring to the amount of times birthday is used. So I am assuming then, your rational to have it in the title, description and at least 3 times in the tag is due to the fact that a birthday is not a holiday. So would that same rational or a similar rational be used for example if someone had a picture of a chair on a product (any product), should the word chair be in the title, description and many times in the tags so that it can be found? Smile
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:07:32 AM
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:

Oh OK. I was actually referring to the amount of times birthday is used. So I am assuming then, your rational to have it in the title, description and at least 3 times in the tag is due to the fact that a birthday is not a holiday. So would that same rational or a similar rational be used for example if someone had a picture of a chair on a product (any product), should the word chair be in the title, description and many times in the tags so that it can be found? Smile

Hello AfriCreations, if chair is central to your theme than I would tag what type of chair it is such as "wooden chair" "rocking chair". My rationale came from the Zazzle Chat Video:The Best Way to Get Customers to Find Your Designs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZYLZIci2aQ. Starting at the 5:57 mark, Monica and Nicole discuss how they would title, describe and tag a phone case. That was where my rationale came from.
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:46:15 AM
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:

Hello AfriCreations, if chair is central to your theme than I would tag what type of chair it is such as "wooden chair" "rocking chair". My rationale came from the Zazzle Chat Video:The Best Way to Get Customers to Find Your Designs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZYLZIci2aQ. Starting at the 5:57 mark, Monica and Nicole discuss how they would title, describe and tag a phone case. That was where my rationale came from.

I am familiar with that video from more than a year ago and also significant changes Zazzle made to the website since then which may or may not make that video still relevant. Also other relevant tags could be "rustic chair" "brown chair" "antique chair" or "rustic brown antique chair." See what I am getting at? My response is to provoke thought. What one person may view as rational and OK another may view as spam or questionable. Smile
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:44:18 AM
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:

I am familiar with that video from more than a year ago and also significant changes Zazzle made to the website since then which may or may not make that video still relevant. Also other relevant tags could be "rustic chair" "brown chair" "antique chair" or "rustic brown antique chair." See what I am getting at? My response is to provoke thought. What one person may view as rational and OK another may view as spam or questionable. Smile

AfriCreations I was just attempting to give helpful advice I found from a video released by Zazzle Chat. I view spam as me tagging a "chair" as a "fire hydrant" or a "school bus". Something totally irrelevant to the design.

Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:04:44 AM
To take your example AfriCreations of a chair, let's say that I was selling a pillow with a "Wooden Antique Chair on a porch". The illustration has a rural feel to it. It is personalizable so you can add your name. This is how I would title, describe it, tag it.

Title: "Lovely wooden antique chair on a porch" (with pillow automatically added to the title by Zazzle)

Description: Presented here is a lovely pillow illustrating a wooden antique chair seated on a porch. A design with a down home rural theme, use the template for inserting your name. Makes a great home decor gift for a loved one, personalize yours today!

Tags: "chair" "wooden chair" "rustic designs" "antique" "porch" "rustic" "country style" "country design" "rural" "rural theme"

This is the correct way, right? I'm using a variety of different ways to describe a "Wooden Antique chair on a porch". I am making sure not to repeat any one word too many times.

I hope you didn't misunderstand me and think that I am advising someone to just repeat the same words over and over. I just stated that she should specify that it was a birthday card (since it was in the holiday card sections) and add something about "birthday" to her title, description, and include birthday in just a couple of her tags.

Now tagging is something I haven't mastered myself, and I am currently upgrading my own tags. In the beginning, I used to repeat the same word over and over. Like if something featured a "flower" I would include the word "flower" in most if not all of my tags. I would say "pretty flower" "lovely flower" "yellow flower" etc. However, I have learned that I did not have to repeat it over and over.

Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:59:20 AM
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:
To take your example AfriCreations of a chair, let's say that I was selling a pillow with a "Wooden Antique Chair on a porch". The illustration has a rural feel to it. It is personalizable so you can add your name. This is how I would title, describe it, tag it.

Title: "Lovely wooden antique chair on a porch" (with pillow automatically added to the title by Zazzle)

Description: Presented here is a lovely pillow illustrating a wooden antique chair seated on a porch. A design with a down home rural theme, use the template for inserting your name. Makes a great home decor gift for a loved one, personalize yours today!

Tags: "chair" "wooden chair" "rustic designs" "antique" "porch" "rustic" "country style" "country design" "rural" "rural theme"

This is the correct way, right? I'm using a variety of different ways to describe a "Wooden Antique chair on a porch". I am making sure not to repeat any one word too many times.

I hope you didn't misunderstand me and think that I am advising someone to just repeat the same words over and over. I just stated that she should specify that it was a birthday card (since it was in the holiday card sections) and add something about "birthday" to her title, description, and include birthday in just a couple of her tags.

Now tagging is something I haven't mastered myself, and I am currently upgrading my own tags. In the beginning, I used to repeat the same word over and over. Like if something featured a "flower" I would include the word "flower" in most if not all of my tags. I would say "pretty flower" "lovely flower" "yellow flower" etc. However, I have learned that I did not have to repeat it over and over.

I think this chair example is a good one. It is very close to how I have been using metadata lately too. I haven't mastered it either, btw.

But when you ask Zazzle admins specifically, what is the correct way, they say they can't answer that, so we are left to our best judgement
and trial and error.

We also commonly get conflicting advice from them and I think that is due to how often things change.

Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:27:13 AM
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:

Its good to see you understand my point. I speak and write English and based on your statement to the designer, it seemed like you were stating to use birthday over and over so that people can find the cards.

This is the specific part of your comment that I am referring to:

"with your birthday dinosaur cards, you should add "birthday" to the title. In your description talk about it being a personalized birthday card, and make sure you have tags that read "birthday" "dinosaur birthday" "happy birthday" so that people can find those cards."

Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:32:31 AM
MissRhoadie1981 wrote:

I think this chair example is a good one. It is very close to how I have been using metadata lately too. I haven't mastered it either, btw.

But when you ask Zazzle admins specifically, what is the correct way, they say they can't answer that, so we are left to our best judgement
and trial and error.

We also commonly get conflicting advice from them and I think that is due to how often things change.

That is true Shelli, things do change often, because there is some gray area where it comes to tagging and it is left to our best judgment. Because we clearly know that if I am selling a watch titled "Black horse grazing in a meadow" that it is spam if I tag it as "frog" "Christmas" "New Years" "bowling ball".

However is it wrong to use let's say 4 out of 10 of my tags as being "horse" "black horse" "horse grazing" or "horse in meadow". Should I limit the word horse to 2 tags and just use other things in the design to focus on? That is where alot of gray area comes in and you have to use your own judgment. Because as the designer, I know what was in my mind when I created the design, and what my theme is centered on.

I have heard and I also believe that repeating the theme in the title, descriptions and tags actually gives it weight. I think that repeating them over and over in the tags is not necessarily wrong but it is a waste of tags, since they have said that the individual words in each phrase are also searchable.

I agree with you about the spam. Tag spam is tagging a red design as blue... when it has no blue in it.
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:33:56 AM
[/quote]

Its good to see you understand my point. I speak and write English and based on your statement to the designer, it seemed like you were stating to use birthday over and over so that people can find the cards.

This is the specific part of your comment that I am referring to:

"with your birthday dinosaur cards, you should add "birthday" to the title. In your description talk about it being a personalized birthday card, and make sure you have tags that read "birthday" "dinosaur birthday" "happy birthday" so that people can find those cards."

[/quote]

Oh I understand how it can be taken that way. Next time I will give more clear examples.
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:37:52 AM
[/quote]

That is true Shelli, things do change often, because there is some gray area where it comes to tagging and it is left to our best judgment. Because we clearly know that if I am selling a watch titled "Black horse grazing in a meadow" that it is spam if I tag it as "frog" "Christmas" "New Years" "bowling ball".

However is it wrong to use let's say 4 out of 10 of my tags as being "horse" "black horse" "horse grazing" or "horse in meadow". Should I limit the word horse to 2 tags and just use other things in the design to focus on? That is where alot of gray area comes in and you have to use your own judgment. Because as the designer, I know what was in my mind when I created the design, and what my theme is centered on. [/quote]

I have heard and I also believe that repeating the theme in the title, descriptions and tags actually gives it weight. I think that repeating them over and over in the tags is not necessarily wrong but it is a waste of tags, since they have said that the individual words in each phrase are also searchable.

I agree with you about the spam. Tag spam is tagging a red design as blue... when it has no blue in it. [/quote]

I accidentally deleted that reply when I was trying to edit a quote. Thanks for clearing that up for me that it is still good practice to repeat the theme in the "Title, descriptions, and tags" that it gives them weight, and that I don't have to "waste tags" by repeating the theme more than a couple of times.
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:15:08 AM
I know that repeating a word in a title, description or tags is not spam. I am aware of what spam is. But some people actually view excessive repetition as spam. Also it wouldn't benefit the designer to use totally irrelevant words. That doesn't make sense. People expect to find what they are looking for, not something totally irrelevant and out of the blue. That is one way to lose customers.
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 1:11:34 PM
I've been here since January and haven't sold anything yet. Discouraging to say the least. Granted I haven't added anything in several weeks (life things that have to be tended to around my full time job), but it still is discouraging to log in and see $0.00 sales.
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 1:16:55 PM
LavenderMintGraphics wrote:
I've been here since January and haven't sold anything yet. Discouraging to say the least. Granted I haven't added anything in several weeks (life things that have to be tended to around my full time job), but it still is discourage to log in and see $0.00 sales.

Your stuff is really pretty, but 160 products is a relatively small amount. Try not to get discouraged and just focus on making more things when you can. And sharing on any social media you have. It has been said that it takes a lot of products (1000 has been tossed around) to be seen in the vast sea of items in the marketplace and it just takes consistency and slowly building up products and designs.
Good Luck!
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:14:20 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
I've been here since January and haven't sold anything yet. Discouraging to say the least. Granted I haven't added anything in several weeks (life things that have to be tended to around my full time job), but it still is discourage to log in and see $0.00 sales.

Your stuff is really pretty, but 160 products is a relatively small amount. Try not to get discouraged and just focus on making more things when you can. And sharing on any social media you have. It has been said that it takes a lot of products (1000 has been tossed around) to be seen in the vast sea of items in the marketplace and it just takes consistency and slowly building up products and designs.
Good Luck!

Aw, thank you, I appreciate that!! I finally have a first sale pending! Less than $3.00 .. but it's something. Agreed, I know my shop is very small and I am certainly planning on adding more. I know on Etsy 100 items was the "golden number" but it didn't do a thing for my shop. Every time I decide to close it down, I sell something. I have a few other stores (all digital items) and don't really add to them any longer since my design focus shifted to POD. I promote on all my social media and I've been using Tailwindapp to help with Pinterest as there is a Zazzle Tribe that has helped share my stuff.

That sale has renewed my hope. Thanks for the encouragement! Love
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:28:29 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:

Good Luck!

Aw, thank you, I appreciate that!! I finally have a first sale pending! Less than $3.00 .. but it's something. Agreed, I know my shop is very small and I am certainly planning on adding more. I know on Etsy 100 items was the "golden number" but it didn't do a thing for my shop. Every time I decide to close it down, I sell something. I have a few other stores (all digital items) and don't really add to them any longer since my design focus shifted to POD. I promote on all my social media and I've been using Tailwindapp to help with Pinterest as there is a Zazzle Tribe that has helped share my stuff.

Excellent! A little boost of encouragement sometimes helps greatly in mental outlook and to give you a little kick/inspiration to push out some more designs and products!
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 11:15:14 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
MelroseOriginals wrote:

Good Luck!

Excellent! A little boost of encouragement sometimes helps greatly in mental outlook and to give you a little kick/inspiration to push out some more designs and products!

That, it does! Smile