In A Complete Funk...
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 8:56:46 AM
Does this time of year put anyone else into a complete funk? It happens every year at this time. I cannot get myself to even try designing anything because I feel like a vacuum has sucked all the life and any creativity out of me.

Signed -
Desperately Seeking Spring.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:07:06 AM
This is the time of year that they say people need to seek sunlight or one of those special lights to get Vitamin D. I don't know if taking supplements or drinking milk will help. However, chocolate milk and milkshakes might just on their own.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:24:48 AM
this quote is on Firefox notes today

"What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness." - John Steinbeck
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:26:57 AM
I sympathise for those of you in the Northern climes, down here in the Southern hemisphere we are in summer, yet even we are getting more cloudy days than usual.
I encourage you to just go off and do something completely unrelated to art/design. this is becuase, in just through playing a game recently, I was inspired by a certain time period to design a whole new theme. Inspiration can come when you do not expect it,huh?
I have heard it said that we may run out of incentive, but really as designers we will never really run out of ideas. I think it is true.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:54:31 AM
One of the worst things we can do is insist we be creative. The insistence scares the socks off creativity, which is happiest in a sort of ebb and flow. Leave the poor thing alone. It needs a rest now and then, and so as suggested, do something else. Clean out a closet, read a book, go window shopping. Your creativity will return.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 10:38:35 AM
As a professional I designer I am doing great and always creating new stuff ... but its real products I design and create by hand for my own real life long time business. By choice I stopped creating anything new for Zazzle for many reasons such as I don't really know what is going on with Zazzle due to the fact that it changes so much and abruptly, always has tech issues, poor communication, questionable policies, no new products, etc.

With my own business I always know what I am doing, why I am doing it, and where I am heading. I no longer try to plan ahead with Zazzle in mind. So for me its not a lack of inspiration, but more like putting Zazzle at the bottom of my priority list. I made my Zazzle store much smaller. But Zazzle is still getting exposure online and offline due to my business and activities.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:21:11 AM
The weather in January is usually a factor in de-stressing from the holidays. But it has been strangely warm and sunny here in the mountains. We have had hardly any snow at all this winter. There have been a couple of very windy and rainy days, but the air was warm. It is 60 degrees outside right now, blue skies and sunny... in the middle of January. Normally it would be gray skies, 19 degrees and the ground would be covered with ice and snow here in the middle of January.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 12:44:42 PM
Jerry wrote:
The weather in January is usually a factor in de-stressing from the holidays. But it has been strangely warm and sunny here in the mountains. We have had hardly any snow at all this winter. There have been a couple of very windy and rainy days, but the air was warm. It is 60 degrees outside right now, blue skies and sunny... in the middle of January. Normally it would be gray skies, 19 degrees and the ground would be covered with ice and snow here in the middle of January.

I'm much farther north, and we had quite the January thaw, which happens every year, but this one was spectacular with temps close to seventy. I rather like winter, but I bet it raised the spirits of lots of people in the area.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:50:02 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Jerry wrote:

I'm much farther north, and we had quite the January thaw, which happens every year, but this one was spectacular with temps close to seventy. I rather like winter, but I bet it raised the spirits of lots of people in the area.

Same here. The Winter has been mild here in CT with a 70 degree day on Sunday so the cold weather isn't as much a factor. The lack of light however...that messes with me tremendously!

All good replies and suggestions. I am trying not to force it, but I will occasionally sit down, start something...hate it.. and delete it..lol. I walk away and return to my hibernation. During the day I work a ridiculously boring office sales job that has been sucking up most of my time so that could be it also. I think I need a little physical exercise. I am getting ready (in the next few months) to open a little shop on my property that is attached to my barn. I will be selling my soy candles and hopefully goats milk soap, my veggies from my green house and property and fresh chicken and duck eggs. I am really excited for that so hopefully that will take my mind off of my Zazzle block and eventually create new ideas.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 2:28:28 PM
Kelly @ CS Invitations wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Same here. The Winter has been mild here in CT with a 70 degree day on Sunday so the cold weather isn't as much a factor. The lack of light however...that messes with me tremendously!

All good replies and suggestions. I am trying not to force it, but I will occasionally sit down, start something...hate it.. and delete it..lol. I walk away and return to my hibernation. During the day I work a ridiculously boring office sales job that has been sucking up most of my time so that could be it also. I think I need a little physical exercise. I am getting ready (in the next few months) to open a little shop on my property that is attached to my barn. I will be selling my soy candles and hopefully goats milk soap, my veggies from my green house and property and fresh chicken and duck eggs. I am really excited for that so hopefully that will take my mind off of my Zazzle block and eventually create new ideas.

That's wonderful! You have all kinds of things to look forward to. Have you been working on the shop, getting it spruced up?
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 3:33:26 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Kelly @ CS Invitations wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
Jerry wrote:

That's wonderful! You have all kinds of things to look forward to. Have you been working on the shop, getting it spruced up?

So far planning out what I want where, paint for walls, decor. My 12 year old daughter has a knack for sewing and she makes horse tail bags that she wants to sell along with aprons and hair scrunchies..lol we will have an eclectic mix of items.for sure.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 5:29:28 PM
It sounds like a lot of fun, and it should be bringing up your spirits, planning and looking forward to it. I wish you all kinds of luck with it.