Help needed from iPad owners
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 7:57:27 AM
I translated my personal cookbook into PDF for the express purpose of getting it onto my iPad so I could use it in the kitchen. It would be more convenient than the three, packed binders I've been using. Good idea, right? Well...

I attached the PDF to email and sent it to myself. I opened the mail on my iPad, and tried to save the PDF to the Cloud, to Downloads, and to Pages, but none of it worked. Yes, I can see the PDF, but it's grayed out and can't be opened. The only way I can open it is to go to my mail and open it there.

What am I doing wrong?
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:02:42 AM
Do you have “books” on there? I save my PDFs to books which should be one of the preloaded apps on there.

Try opening your PDF in your email and then look at the top at the arrow in the box thing. Click it and choose save to books. Sometimes I have to choose open in Safari ( or whatever browser you use) and then save to books.
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:24:22 AM
That did the trick! Thank you so much!

Strange, isn't it, that I can save it there and not anywhere else?
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 10:59:39 AM
Colorwash wrote:

So now onto the real question!

What will you be cooking for us?Grin
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:45:42 AM
Maybe I'll fry the wires, which requires a special skill.
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 4:55:59 PM
Colorwash wrote:

I'm glad that worked for you! Those things have a mind of their own!Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:56:02 AM
I've discovered that, though it works to save it to books, it loses an absolutely vital component: The table of contents is hotlinked in the PDF, but the "book" version has no such thing. I seem doomed to save my email with its attached PDF that I can click on and then navigate to any recipe via just the poke of a finger.

The iPad is very frustrating, at times. I keep wondering if I would have been happier with another brand.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 6:50:23 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I've discovered that, though it works to save it to books, it loses an absolutely vital component: The table of contents is hotlinked in the PDF, but the "book" version has no such thing. I seem doomed to save my email with its attached PDF that I can click on and then navigate to any recipe via just the poke of a finger.

The iPad is very frustrating, at times. I keep wondering if I would have been happier with another brand.

I don't know which iPad you have, but I can say that we've owned a couple of Amazon Fire/Android tablets - and they drive me nuts for various reasons. As a die-hard "Mac girl" going back to the black and white versions - I passed on the iPads for a while because of the cost. JUST got one and love it so much more than the others. But I also haven't tried anything with a PDF yet. I'm sure each has it's ups and downs depending on the use at the time.

For recipes, there are a few sites you can upload your own to including adding photos - All Recipes is one, and the recipe previews are great on a computer/tablet and also print out really well when needed.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:37:37 AM
PaperGrape wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

I don't know which iPad you have, but I can say that we've owned a couple of Amazon Fire/Android tablets - and they drive me nuts for various reasons. As a die-hard "Mac girl" going back to the black and white versions - I passed on the iPads for a while because of the cost. JUST got one and love it so much more than the others. But I also haven't tried anything with a PDF yet. I'm sure each has it's ups and downs depending on the use at the time.

For recipes, there are a few sites you can upload your own to including adding photos - All Recipes is one, and the recipe previews are great on a computer/tablet and also print out really well when needed.

I have the newest iPad--straight iPad, not the larger ones, maybe called iPad Pro. It's great for surfing the web, but to do anything such as post here on the forum, and unless you're good with those onscreen popup keypads, a real keyboard is necessary, which I indulged in.

There are lots of built-in apps that are wasted on me because I can't figure out why I'd want to use them. I won't read a regular book on it because I have a Kindle e-reader, which is much easier on the eyes. Mostly, I use it for surfing at night or playing games. However, it dawned on me how much easier it would be to find my recipes on it, and it is now that I've settled on a regular PDF with its hotlinked contents.

I've looked up how to use iCloud, but none of it makes sense to me. It's just a bank of servers, isn't it? So why can I upload things to it but not be able to open those things? Such stuff is new to this old person.

I never take photos of what I cook, though I've occasionally visited All Recipes. There are a couple sites I really like, one of them being Food Network. There are also a couple PBS cooking shows that have sites and that I really like. One is "Cook's Country," and the other is "America's Test Kitchen." Both of those are limited, though, full access being by paid subscription.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:58:28 AM
Well bummer. I'm not savvy enough on my devices to suggest anything else.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 10:00:29 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
Well bummer. I'm not savvy enough on my devices to suggest anything else.

Two peas in a pod. LOL