General Chit Chat Community Thread 6 pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:14:01 AM
I’m very picky about leaf lettuce. Brown gunk at the stem end shivers me timbers.
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:07:02 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I’m very picky about leaf lettuce. Brown gunk at the stem end shivers me timbers.


No brown gunk on any of my veg please! 🤢
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:04:27 AM
The only brown thing in the produce aisle that I'll accept is bosc pears.
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:40:02 AM
Colorwash wrote:
The only brown thing in the produce aisle that I'll accept is bosc pears.

No brown tomatoes? No kiwi fruit? No ginger root? Happy

(Okay, I'll stop now.)
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:24:09 PM
Felosarix wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
The only brown thing in the produce aisle that I'll accept is bosc pears.

No brown tomatoes? No kiwi fruit? No ginger root? Happy

(Okay, I'll stop now.)

Brown tomatoes? Some kind of designer tomato? Made by the little brown elves that pop up in the night? Probably an heirloom tomato, but I'm partial to elves. (Ginger is only quasi-brown.)
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:32:45 PM
I have brown cherry tomatoes in my garden this year. They are called chocolate something or other, though to be fair they are red/brown mottled. I have pink/green mottled and yellow pear too, as well as good old red. They are all yummy.
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:33:53 PM
My potatoes are brown until I peel them which I don't do unless I am mashing or making hash browns.

I haven't seen the brown tomatoes yet, but I sure love the Cherokee purples!
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:00:37 PM
🌼Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
My potatoes are brown until I peel them which I don't do unless I am mashing or making hash browns.

I haven't seen the brown tomatoes yet, but I sure love the Cherokee purples!

May be a regional thing? They sell the brown tomatoes at a grocery chain here.

I can't vouch for the flavor, as I don't eat tomatoes.
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:03:34 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Felosarix wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
The only brown thing in the produce aisle that I'll accept is bosc pears.

No brown tomatoes? No kiwi fruit? No ginger root? Happy

(Okay, I'll stop now.)

Brown tomatoes? Some kind of designer tomato? Made by the little brown elves that pop up in the night? Probably an heirloom tomato, but I'm partial to elves. (Ginger is only quasi-brown.)

Yeah, I suppose ginger is more gold than brown. (Colorhexa tells me they're "slightly desaturated orange", but anything in the brown family gets classified by them as some form of red or orange.)
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:13:45 PM
Jicama is brown.

Gina, I love Greenville, used to live on Piedmont Park Road just past the train tracks. It's the one place in the South I'd move back to. My ex husband lives there or Mauldin, can't remember if his house is within city limits or not.

Health issues, well, we all have or know someone who has them. I pray for those who need healing and comfort in their lives.

Tried getting back to work here, released some hidden products after editing descriptions and keywords, but to create, that's too much brains for me right now. Pain has me sidetracked in a bad way. Hoping this, too, shall pass.

Onward!
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:09:06 AM
I had to look up jicama because I’ve never seen it or heard of it. Maybe it isn’t an upstate NY thing.

RG, pain doesn’t encourage creativity at all. I spent from February through May in bed mostly reading, surgery cured the pain, and since then I’ve been dealing with other stuff. Have you been wishing you could trade yourself in for a newer model? I want something fast and sleek.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:46:43 AM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:
Jicama is brown.

Gina, I love Greenville, used to live on Piedmont Park Road just past the train tracks. It's the one place in the South I'd move back to. My ex husband lives there or Mauldin, can't remember if his house is within city limits or not.

Health issues, well, we all have or know someone who has them. I pray for those who need healing and comfort in their lives.

Tried getting back to work here, released some hidden products after editing descriptions and keywords, but to create, that's too much brains for me right now. Pain has me sidetracked in a bad way. Hoping this, too, shall pass.

Onward!


I hope you feel better soon! I put you on my prayer list.

Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:48:59 AM
We all do--hope you'll soon be feeling better, that is! Pain is no laughing matter.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:50:40 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I had to look up jicama because I’ve never seen it or heard of it. Maybe it isn’t an upstate NY thing.

RG, pain doesn’t encourage creativity at all. I spent from February through May in bed mostly reading, surgery cured the pain, and since then I’ve been dealing with other stuff. Have you been wishing you could trade yourself in for a newer model? I want something fast and sleek.


one thing I am learing, getting old isn't for wimps! lol

My chronic pain issues have improved but I still have this overwhelming fatigue that seems to only want to hit me when I am working at my computer.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:04:18 AM
What's all this business about the golden years? Who named it that way? Definitely not anyone who was old.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:11:31 AM
As Bette Davis famously remarked: "Growing old ain't for sissies!"
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:34:14 AM
Saints_Aplenty wrote:
As Bette Davis famously remarked: "Growing old ain't for sissies!"

The only old person I've seen who seems to have been enjoying her many years of being a senior citizen is Betty White. I believe she's currently 98 years old.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:39:06 PM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:


Gina, I love Greenville, used to live on Piedmont Park Road just past the train tracks. It's the one place in the South I'd move back to. My ex husband lives there or Mauldin, can't remember if his house is within city limits or not.


Hey! We love it, too! But, alas, our time here is coming to an end! My husband begins his new position within his company on Wednesday and, by October's end, we will be living in Charleston, SC!
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 10:36:35 AM
Rant of the day:

I recently picked up the small-size Crock Pot because I got rid of the larger one I had years back. Too big for the family.

First night: Followed one of the recipes included in the instruction booklet. The meat was overcooked and dry.

Second night: Followed a different recipe from elsewhere, taking the timing from the instruction booklet. The meat fell completely apart and everything tasted like everything else.

What the heck?

I spent time researching the problems and finally found the answer. The instruction booklet is giving the information for the larger Crock Pots. The really small ones build up more heat and faster, which leads to overcooking.

Oh, and one of the recipes in the booklet was titled chicken-something-or-other, but one look at the ingredients proved it was for beef stew.

This is far from the first time I've seen bad instructions. The worst was quite a number of years ago with a Sony product, its instructions very obviously written by someone in Japan who thought he/she spoke English perfectly. Those instructions were what you'd call a hot mess, and we never were able to properly use the equipment.

What on earth is the matter with the brainiacs at some of the companies?
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 12:58:24 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Rant of the day:

I recently picked up the small-size Crock Pot because I got rid of the larger one I had years back. Too big for the family.

First night: Followed one of the recipes included in the instruction booklet. The meat was overcooked and dry.

Second night: Followed a different recipe from elsewhere, taking the timing from the instruction booklet. The meat fell completely apart and everything tasted like everything else.

What the heck?

I spent time researching the problems and finally found the answer. The instruction booklet is giving the information for the larger Crock Pots. The really small ones build up more heat and faster, which leads to overcooking.

Oh, and one of the recipes in the booklet was titled chicken-something-or-other, but one look at the ingredients proved it was for beef stew.

This is far from the first time I've seen bad instructions. The worst was quite a number of years ago with a Sony product, its instructions very obviously written by someone in Japan who thought he/she spoke English perfectly. Those instructions were what you'd call a hot mess, and we never were able to properly use the equipment.

What on earth is the matter with the brainiacs at some of the companies?


Are there any brainiacs at some of these companies?
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 1:22:47 PM
There has to be at least one, though whoever it is probably doesn't write instructions.
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 2:50:03 PM
And that is why I never trust recipes! Or instructions!Laughing
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 4:58:20 PM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
And that is why I never trust recipes! Or instructions!Laughing

Yes, indeed!
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 5:25:49 PM
I have a kind of funny recipe story.

We love trying to copy our restaurant faves at home and I cook a lot so I'm pretty good at being able to look at a recipe and tell if it needs tweaking or if the ratios seem off, well, one night my husband wanted to recreate a copy cat version of a Johnny Carino's favorite. I think it's called Lemon Chicken Skilletini.

Anyway, it has a lemon butter sauce and the copycat recipe hubby found online had supposedly scaled down the recipe to serve 4-6. Well, the recipe called for a whole pound of butter. 4 sticks! I knew that was way too much especially compared to the rest of the recipe and we were just going to be serving 4 with it so that was essentially a stick of butter per person. He insisted that he was going to follow the recipe like it was and I needed to just leave him to it.

That recipe also had heavy cream and bacon and it did not turn out well. It tasted like pure butter and was so heavy.
We ate as much as we could to not hurt his feelings, but even he realized the recipe was way off after tasting it. I'd love to say he learned his lesson to listen to me when it comes to cooking, but no. Laughing
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 6:49:18 PM
Laughing

Speaking of Johnny Carino's we have one close by in a town called Yukon and across the street is Alfredo's. One day my mother and sister in law wanted to take me out to eat and gave me the choice of Mexican or Italian. My hubby hates pasta and I love it, so since I hardly ever get to eat it I said Italian. When we pulled up at Johnny Carino's I said I thought they must have heard me wrong but that was okay I like Mexican too.

They both laughed at me because I didn't know that Alfredo's was the Mexican joint. It sounded Italian to me... lol. They said I don't get out enough. Stick out tongue
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 11:35:22 PM
My youngest Son has had a surgery two weeks ago and now has both his legs in plaster cast. Thank God all went well and since Monday he has been walking to school with two crutches. Friday they have a sponsor run at school. Now his schoolteacher asked him yesterday for proof that he was in the hospital and has plaster cast legs so that they can approve that he does not have to participate in the sponsor run on Friday. Can people get more stupid...


To give this topic a Zazzle related touch I just created this greeting card with a picture from his legs :-)

Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 1:50:49 AM
What did your son say to the teacher? Or was he so floored by the idiocy that he went silent?
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 1:57:04 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
I have a kind of funny recipe story.

We love trying to copy our restaurant faves at home and I cook a lot so I'm pretty good at being able to look at a recipe and tell if it needs tweaking or if the ratios seem off, well, one night my husband wanted to recreate a copy cat version of a Johnny Carino's favorite. I think it's called Lemon Chicken Skilletini.

Anyway, it has a lemon butter sauce and the copycat recipe hubby found online had supposedly scaled down the recipe to serve 4-6. Well, the recipe called for a whole pound of butter. 4 sticks! I knew that was way too much especially compared to the rest of the recipe and we were just going to be serving 4 with it so that was essentially a stick of butter per person. He insisted that he was going to follow the recipe like it was and I needed to just leave him to it.

That recipe also had heavy cream and bacon and it did not turn out well. It tasted like pure butter and was so heavy.
We ate as much as we could to not hurt his feelings, but even he realized the recipe was way off after tasting it. I'd love to say he learned his lesson to listen to me when it comes to cooking, but no. Laughing

It’s a story that would make a good Rolaids ad. LOL

When I first met my husband, he swore that worcestershire sauce was the perfect condiment, that it could make everything he cooked taste just right. It didn’t.
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 5:20:46 AM
yoursparklingshop wrote:
My youngest Son has had a surgery two weeks ago and now has both his legs in plaster cast. Thank God all went well and since Monday he has been walking to school with two crutches. Friday they have a sponsor run at school. Now his schoolteacher asked him yesterday for proof that he was in the hospital and has plaster cast legs so that they can approve that he does not have to participate in the sponsor run on Friday. Can people get more stupid...


To give this topic a Zazzle related touch I just created this greeting card with a picture from his legs :-)



I have no words. Do they think the casts are a fashion accessory?

I am so glad all went well with the surgery and he is recovering well!Love
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 5:26:27 AM
🌼Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Laughing

Speaking of Johnny Carino's we have one close by in a town called Yukon and across the street is Alfredo's. One day my mother and sister in law wanted to take me out to eat and gave me the choice of Mexican or Italian. My hubby hates pasta and I love it, so since I hardly ever get to eat it I said Italian. When we pulled up at Johnny Carino's I said I thought they must have heard me wrong but that was okay I like Mexican too.

They both laughed at me because I didn't know that Alfredo's was the Mexican joint. It sounded Italian to me... lol. They said I don't get out enough. Stick out tongue


Haha! I would have assumed from the name Alfredos was Italian also!
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded