General Chit Chat Community Thread 4 pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 12:58:24 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Rant of the day:

I recently picked up the small-size Crock Pot because I got rid of the larger one I had years back. Too big for the family.

First night: Followed one of the recipes included in the instruction booklet. The meat was overcooked and dry.

Second night: Followed a different recipe from elsewhere, taking the timing from the instruction booklet. The meat fell completely apart and everything tasted like everything else.

What the heck?

I spent time researching the problems and finally found the answer. The instruction booklet is giving the information for the larger Crock Pots. The really small ones build up more heat and faster, which leads to overcooking.

Oh, and one of the recipes in the booklet was titled chicken-something-or-other, but one look at the ingredients proved it was for beef stew.

This is far from the first time I've seen bad instructions. The worst was quite a number of years ago with a Sony product, its instructions very obviously written by someone in Japan who thought he/she spoke English perfectly. Those instructions were what you'd call a hot mess, and we never were able to properly use the equipment.

What on earth is the matter with the brainiacs at some of the companies?

Are there any brainiacs at some of these companies?
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 1:22:47 PM
There has to be at least one, though whoever it is probably doesn't write instructions.
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 2:50:03 PM
And that is why I never trust recipes! Or instructions!Laughing
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 4:58:20 PM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
And that is why I never trust recipes! Or instructions!Laughing

Yes, indeed!
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 5:25:49 PM
I have a kind of funny recipe story.

We love trying to copy our restaurant faves at home and I cook a lot so I'm pretty good at being able to look at a recipe and tell if it needs tweaking or if the ratios seem off, well, one night my husband wanted to recreate a copy cat version of a Johnny Carino's favorite. I think it's called Lemon Chicken Skilletini.

Anyway, it has a lemon butter sauce and the copycat recipe hubby found online had supposedly scaled down the recipe to serve 4-6. Well, the recipe called for a whole pound of butter. 4 sticks! I knew that was way too much especially compared to the rest of the recipe and we were just going to be serving 4 with it so that was essentially a stick of butter per person. He insisted that he was going to follow the recipe like it was and I needed to just leave him to it.

That recipe also had heavy cream and bacon and it did not turn out well. It tasted like pure butter and was so heavy.
We ate as much as we could to not hurt his feelings, but even he realized the recipe was way off after tasting it. I'd love to say he learned his lesson to listen to me when it comes to cooking, but no. Laughing
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 6:49:18 PM
Laughing

Speaking of Johnny Carino's we have one close by in a town called Yukon and across the street is Alfredo's. One day my mother and sister in law wanted to take me out to eat and gave me the choice of Mexican or Italian. My hubby hates pasta and I love it, so since I hardly ever get to eat it I said Italian. When we pulled up at Johnny Carino's I said I thought they must have heard me wrong but that was okay I like Mexican too.

They both laughed at me because I didn't know that Alfredo's was the Mexican joint. It sounded Italian to me... lol. They said I don't get out enough. Stick out tongue
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 11:35:22 PM
My youngest Son has had a surgery two weeks ago and now has both his legs in plaster cast. Thank God all went well and since Monday he has been walking to school with two crutches. Friday they have a sponsor run at school. Now his schoolteacher asked him yesterday for proof that he was in the hospital and has plaster cast legs so that they can approve that he does not have to participate in the sponsor run on Friday. Can people get more stupid...

To give this topic a Zazzle related touch I just created this greeting card with a picture from his legs :-)

Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 1:20:46 AM
yoursparklingshop wrote:
My youngest Son has had a surgery two weeks ago and now has both his legs in plaster cast. Thank God all went well and since Monday he has been walking to school with two crutches. Friday they have a sponsor run at school. Now his schoolteacher asked him yesterday for proof that he was in the hospital and has plaster cast legs so that they can approve that he does not have to participate in the sponsor run on Friday. Can people get more stupid...

To give this topic a Zazzle related touch I just created this greeting card with a picture from his legs :-)

You could give them what they requested, or send them the hospital bill with a request that they pay with a certified check, or ask if they have enough liability insurance to cover any short term, long term, or lifetime damage done if he is forced to participate. I am sure any of the three responses sent to the teacher, the principal, and the school board will get then to back off. Give your son a hug. Roses Love

Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 1:50:49 AM
What did your son say to the teacher? Or was he so floored by the idiocy that he went silent?
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 1:57:04 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
I have a kind of funny recipe story.

We love trying to copy our restaurant faves at home and I cook a lot so I'm pretty good at being able to look at a recipe and tell if it needs tweaking or if the ratios seem off, well, one night my husband wanted to recreate a copy cat version of a Johnny Carino's favorite. I think it's called Lemon Chicken Skilletini.

Anyway, it has a lemon butter sauce and the copycat recipe hubby found online had supposedly scaled down the recipe to serve 4-6. Well, the recipe called for a whole pound of butter. 4 sticks! I knew that was way too much especially compared to the rest of the recipe and we were just going to be serving 4 with it so that was essentially a stick of butter per person. He insisted that he was going to follow the recipe like it was and I needed to just leave him to it.

That recipe also had heavy cream and bacon and it did not turn out well. It tasted like pure butter and was so heavy.
We ate as much as we could to not hurt his feelings, but even he realized the recipe was way off after tasting it. I'd love to say he learned his lesson to listen to me when it comes to cooking, but no. Laughing

It’s a story that would make a good Rolaids ad. LOL

When I first met my husband, he swore that worcestershire sauce was the perfect condiment, that it could make everything he cooked taste just right. It didn’t.
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 5:20:46 AM
yoursparklingshop wrote:

I have no words. Do they think the casts are a fashion accessory?

I am so glad all went well with the surgery and he is recovering well!Love
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 5:26:27 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Laughing

Speaking of Johnny Carino's we have one close by in a town called Yukon and across the street is Alfredo's. One day my mother and sister in law wanted to take me out to eat and gave me the choice of Mexican or Italian. My hubby hates pasta and I love it, so since I hardly ever get to eat it I said Italian. When we pulled up at Johnny Carino's I said I thought they must have heard me wrong but that was okay I like Mexican too.

They both laughed at me because I didn't know that Alfredo's was the Mexican joint. It sounded Italian to me... lol. They said I don't get out enough. Stick out tongue

Haha! I would have assumed from the name Alfredos was Italian also!
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 6:13:43 AM
yoursparklingshop wrote:

I would have thought the crutches would be a clue... ::rolls eyes::

praying for fast healing! Love

Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 12:18:54 PM
@MarbethHomeDecor lol requesting them to pay the bills would be wonderful, still laughing, while imagining the expressions on their faces, if I would do that. Thank you for the hugLove

@Colorwash Thank you for your replyLove He wasn't floored at all, I was, he is very dutiful, he wanted to obey the school teacher by complying with the request. He kept asking me for proof that his legs are in cast, finally I told him I would make a picture of his legs so he could take it with him while stumbling to school tomorrow, I believe that was the moment he realized how stupid the request for proof was.Smile

@MelroseOriginals After a few seconds of being speechless I went looking for an emotional outlet and found it here :-) Thank you for the well wishesLove

@ShelliFitzpatrick My eyes rolled all day lol Thank you for your prayersLove
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:33:39 AM
We are proud to say that our hometown is the location for Tuesday's Democratic Presidential debate. However, Otterbein is in the middle of an old residential area with narrow streets. I really hope that no one does the standard thing of finding Otterbein Avenue and trying to find Otterbein (College) University. Otterbein Avenue runs north and south on the east side of State Street, the main street. Otterbein University is on the west side of State Street. Some people may not get where they want to go.Laughing

We are also glad that we moved out of our friends house in August. We reconnected with high school friends a few months ago. We were there for a few weeks when our landlady/roommate sold her house faster than expected. Our friend is in the area within walking distance and with road closures. I should call her but she and her mother are staunch Republicans. She is going to be wound tight.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:34:42 AM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Our friend is in the area within walking distance and with road closures. I should call her but she and her mother are staunch Republicans. She is going to be wound tight.

My best friend (deceased) and I were on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but for fifty years, it never got in the way. If we started getting too annoyed with each other, we’d say the heck with that and move on. Politics were unimportant. We the people shouldn’t get suckered into fights caused by the political class. Call your friend.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:31:33 AM
Colorwash wrote:
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Our friend is in the area within walking distance and with road closures. I should call her but she and her mother are staunch Republicans. She is going to be wound tight.

My best friend (deceased) and I were on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but for fifty years, it never got in the way. If we started getting too annoyed with each other, we’d say the heck with that and move on. Politics were unimportant. We the people shouldn’t get suckered into fights caused by the political class. Call your friend.

I'll call her because I can sympathize with the fact that it is really too compact of a older, quiet residential area to have all the traffic and crowds. They said that they were going to set up an area for protesters. Where? The green area around the center building. The small city park. The stadium with the entrance across from my friends house. Why have it at Otterbein? Because John Kasich lives here and did live in that neighborhood? Why not Ohio State where residents are mostly students?
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:25:01 AM
What is accomplished that isn’t more effectively accomplished in the voting booth? There will be noise, filth, and nothing changed—once the mess is cleaned up.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:48:18 AM
Colorwash wrote:
What is accomplished that isn’t more effectively accomplished in the voting booth? There will be noise, filth, and nothing changed—once the mess is cleaned up.

Agreed. Nobody asked if the residents minded that I heard. It was just announced as a done deal.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:17:27 AM
MarBethHolidays wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Agreed. Nobody asked if the residents minded that I heard. It was just announced as a done deal.

Now THAT'S something to protest about.