General Chit Chat Community Thread 6 pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 6:13:43 AM
yoursparklingshop wrote:
My youngest Son has had a surgery two weeks ago and now has both his legs in plaster cast. Thank God all went well and since Monday he has been walking to school with two crutches. Friday they have a sponsor run at school. Now his schoolteacher asked him yesterday for proof that he was in the hospital and has plaster cast legs so that they can approve that he does not have to participate in the sponsor run on Friday. Can people get more stupid...


To give this topic a Zazzle related touch I just created this greeting card with a picture from his legs :-)



I would have thought the crutches would be a clue... ::rolls eyes::

praying for fast healing! Love


Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 12:18:54 PM
@MarbethHomeDecor lol requesting them to pay the bills would be wonderful, still laughing, while imagining the expressions on their faces, if I would do that. Thank you for the hugLove

@Colorwash Thank you for your replyLove He wasn't floored at all, I was, he is very dutiful, he wanted to obey the school teacher by complying with the request. He kept asking me for proof that his legs are in cast, finally I told him I would make a picture of his legs so he could take it with him while stumbling to school tomorrow, I believe that was the moment he realized how stupid the request for proof was.Smile

@MelroseOriginals After a few seconds of being speechless I went looking for an emotional outlet and found it here :-) Thank you for the well wishesLove

@ShelliFitzpatrick My eyes rolled all day lol Thank you for your prayersLove
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:34:42 AM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Our friend is in the area within walking distance and with road closures. I should call her but she and her mother are staunch Republicans. She is going to be wound tight.

My best friend (deceased) and I were on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but for fifty years, it never got in the way. If we started getting too annoyed with each other, we’d say the heck with that and move on. Politics were unimportant. We the people shouldn’t get suckered into fights caused by the political class. Call your friend.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:25:01 AM
What is accomplished that isn’t more effectively accomplished in the voting booth? There will be noise, filth, and nothing changed—once the mess is cleaned up.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:17:27 AM
MarBethHolidays wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
What is accomplished that isn’t more effectively accomplished in the voting booth? There will be noise, filth, and nothing changed—once the mess is cleaned up.


Agreed. Nobody asked if the residents minded that I heard. It was just announced as a done deal.

Now THAT'S something to protest about.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:37:44 AM
Thank you Marbeth, for deleting your posts, I deleted mine as well.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:33:50 AM
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:45:09 AM
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.


Have you tried craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels? They often have a 40% of coupon.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:10:15 AM
ValeriesGallery wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.


Have you tried craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels? They often have a 40% of coupon.

Good idea!
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:45:23 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Thank you Marbeth, for deleting your posts, I deleted mine as well.


Note to anyone who reads this. I really didn't post anything wrong. I was sharing information about my hometown such as the neighborhood, the college, and my church, because it made it into the national spotlight and I am proud of it. However, I was also worried for my hometown and people I know because the event brought in outsiders on both sides of a spectrum of issues, who could have done damage and hurt people. I brought up no issues and did not support any side of anything other than to say that the event really didn't belong in the residential area it was placed and that the outsiders were uptown in front of a lot of nice small businesses instead of in the contained area where they were supposed to be. I hope this doesn't happen to where anyone else lives because no one asked if the residents had concerns. It was just announced as a done deal with one month warning. With one wrong person there on any side of any issue, it could have turned out so differently.

I felt the need to say this because I didn't want to be under the perception that I said anything wrong like making posts in someone's thread questioning their character. However, since there was concern because the event was political, that someone might start a verbal assault in this thread unlike the potential physical assault that my hometown and friends were under from anybody on any side of anything, I removed all my posts from this thread from the time it was started so that I couldn't be the excuse for someone causing trouble.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:24:23 AM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Thank you Marbeth, for deleting your posts, I deleted mine as well.


Note to anyone who reads this. I really didn't post anything wrong. I was sharing information about my hometown such as the neighborhood, the college, and my church, because it made it into the national spotlight and I am proud of it. However, I was also worried for my hometown and people I know because the event brought in outsiders on both sides of a spectrum of issues, who could have done damage and hurt people. I brought up no issues and did not support any side of anything other than to say that the event really didn't belong in the residential area it was placed and that the outsiders were uptown in front of a lot of nice small businesses instead of in the contained area where they were supposed to be. I hope this doesn't happen to where anyone else lives because no one asked if the residents had concerns. It was just announced as a done deal with one month warning. With one wrong person there on any side of any issue, it could have turned out so differently.

I felt the need to say this because I didn't want to be under the perception that I said anything wrong like making posts in someone's thread questioning their character. However, since there was concern because the event was political, that someone might start a verbal assault in this thread unlike the potential physical assault that my hometown and friends were under from anybody on any side of anything, I removed all my posts from this thread from the time it was started so that I couldn't be the excuse for someone causing trouble.


That's true it wasn't anything wrong, it just had the potential to be contentious.

Thankfully peace was maintained on all sides.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:26:48 AM
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.


The only candy I make is fudge and I cheat using already full flavored chocolate chips and marshmallow creme...

Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:30:59 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.


The only candy I make is fudge and I cheat using already full flavored chocolate chips and marshmallow creme...


I have an easy recipe for doing it in the microwave, the chocolate derived from cocoa. I stopped making it because I couldn't stop eating it.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:55:21 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.


The only candy I make is fudge and I cheat using already full flavored chocolate chips and marshmallow creme...




I have an easy recipe for doing it in the microwave, the chocolate derived from cocoa. I stopped making it because I couldn't stop eating it.


we have a small batch at Christmastime and never again the rest of the year, lol. I am still wearing it from last year ::sigh::
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:44:35 PM
So I can talk about anything at all here? Cool. I was just thinking that I would love to have a hamster named Bojangles.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:32:42 PM
When Zazzle is having a design-tool technical nervous breakdown - is that the time to promote? I think so Smile
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:58:22 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
When Zazzle is having a design-tool technical nervous breakdown - is that the time to promote? I think so Smile


That seems to be about all we can do right now. Lol I opened up my blog to make a new post and can't bring myself to work on it so I may as well speed pin things!
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:08:38 PM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
HightonRidley wrote:
When Zazzle is having a design-tool technical nervous breakdown - is that the time to promote? I think so Smile


That seems to be about all we can do right now. Lol I opened up my blog to make a new post and can't bring myself to work on it so I may as well speed pin things!

I've been having some fun with the product stager - just made this:



Gotta keep busy
Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:51:22 PM
eightbitarmy wrote:
So I can talk about anything at all here? Cool. I was just thinking that I would love to have a hamster named Bojangles.


Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:57:09 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
When Zazzle is having a design-tool technical nervous breakdown - is that the time to promote? I think so Smile


So I guess I picked a good night to work in the kitchen!

This is deer season in Oklahoma and every year my hunter hubby brings home the "bacon". I am the one who has to do the butchering. Tonight I am grinding deer burger.

Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:58:21 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
MelroseOriginals wrote:
HightonRidley wrote:
When Zazzle is having a design-tool technical nervous breakdown - is that the time to promote? I think so Smile


That seems to be about all we can do right now. Lol I opened up my blog to make a new post and can't bring myself to work on it so I may as well speed pin things!

I've been having some fun with the product stager - just made this:



Gotta keep busy
Laughing


looks good Mark!
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:54:46 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
When Zazzle is having a design-tool technical nervous breakdown - is that the time to promote? I think so Smile


I get a lot more productive work done when I take care of my own business, also I am not wasting time or money. Things that stick out in my mind are paying for promotions on FB (which of course I no longer do) and not getting referrals. Having collections promoted online (social media, my website) only to find out all were going to trending collections. Those are just two examples.

Zazzle is something I schedule time for, so if its not working I go back to my real work (business). Besides Zazzle gets promoted by me (directly or indirectly) even when I am not trying to promote due to my presence online and offline in the real world where Zazzle's products are visible. Smile
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:05:22 PM
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.


Colorwash - so here's a weird suggestion: have you tried alcohol? I have made 'Fireball' hard candy lollipops and they had a delicious cinnamon flavor...I also have made tequila-lime (using both the alcohol and fresh lime) and it made a nice lime flavor. Oh, and I made 'Sailor Jerry's' spiced rum candies, too. Of course, the alcohol burns off mostly, so the candy is not going to get anyone sloshed. But there are some nice, different flavors out there that might be fun to try - Chambord (for raspberry flavor), or pineapple vodka, that kind of thing.

Just a thought!
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:27:49 AM
Starving Artist wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.


Colorwash - so here's a weird suggestion: have you tried alcohol? I have made 'Fireball' hard candy lollipops and they had a delicious cinnamon flavor...I also have made tequila-lime (using both the alcohol and fresh lime) and it made a nice lime flavor. Oh, and I made 'Sailor Jerry's' spiced rum candies, too. Of course, the alcohol burns off mostly, so the candy is not going to get anyone sloshed. But there are some nice, different flavors out there that might be fun to try - Chambord (for raspberry flavor), or pineapple vodka, that kind of thing.

Just a thought!

Do you replace some or all the water with alcohol? Isn’t it dangerous since hard candy is brought up to 300 degrees?
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:06:16 AM
Colorwash wrote:
So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.

I know someone who's made hard candy for Christmas for years and years, and I've done it from time to time. LorAnn is the brand you want. I've seen it at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Amazon, and they have their own website.

I recall that root beer and the tropical flavors were always good and well received.
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:04:12 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.

I know someone who's made hard candy for Christmas for years and years, and I've done it from time to time. LorAnn is the brand you want. I've seen it at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Amazon, and they have their own website.

I recall that root beer and the tropical flavors were always good and well received.

Thank you so much. I noticed LorAnn here, there, and everywhere, but didn't know if this reflected good stuff or good advertising. Root beer? YES!!!
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:43:17 AM
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.

I'm no help on this one as the only candy I have made that comes out good is peanut butter fudge. I tried to make a caramel syrup(not sauce) last night and it was a disasterLaughing . I think its best I stick to savory sauces and marinades lol.

Hope everyone has a nice day.Smile
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:24:14 AM
CharlieInspired wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.

I'm no help on this one as the only candy I have made that comes out good is peanut butter fudge. I tried to make a caramel syrup(not sauce) last night and it was a disasterLaughing . I think its best I stick to savory sauces and marinades lol.

Hope everyone has a nice day.Smile

I personally will not go anywhere near trying to make chocolates. Fudge, yes, but only the simple microwave recipe I found somewhere and have used much to my own delight for many years.

Caramel, I discovered just as you did, is tricky business. The last time I tried it, I ended up with hard candy, but I've since thrown out my candy thermometer, which I finally tested, discovering it was reading 50 degrees too low. I now use a digital thermometer that I tested and is right on the money, so I might make one more stab at caramel. Its hard-candy version tastes pretty good, so it's kind of a backup.
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 6:49:43 AM
Colorwash wrote:
CharlieInspired wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.

I'm no help on this one as the only candy I have made that comes out good is peanut butter fudge. I tried to make a caramel syrup(not sauce) last night and it was a disasterLaughing . I think its best I stick to savory sauces and marinades lol.

Hope everyone has a nice day.Smile

I personally will not go anywhere near trying to make chocolates. Fudge, yes, but only the simple microwave recipe I found somewhere and have used much to my own delight for many years.

Caramel, I discovered just as you did, is tricky business. The last time I tried it, I ended up with hard candy, but I've since thrown out my candy thermometer, which I finally tested, discovering it was reading 50 degrees too low. I now use a digital thermometer that I tested and is right on the money, so I might make one more stab at caramel. Its hard-candy version tastes pretty good, so it's kind of a backup.


hard caramel, isn't that toffee? I love toffee. peanut brittle too.
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 6:58:19 AM
Hard but still vaguely chewy would definitely be toffee, but no, I made what's called "hard tack." Think about the hardness of Life Savers, and you'll know what I produced. It shattered like glass. Kind of cool but not what I was going for.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded