General Chit Chat Community Thread 4 pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 5:20:03 AM
Shelli, this forum used to be just for this specific use. That was back during the good ol' days. Why someone made the decision to change the purpose of this forum is beyond me. It would be nice if it were changed back to its original purpose because it made for a relaxing atmosphere. Perhaps, since a MOD told you to "come here", it means it will be changing. I am not much for chit chat myself anymore. I just wanted to post to wish y'all a safe Labor Day holiday. And I wish safety to all those in the path of Dorian.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 5:53:57 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Shelli, this forum used to be just for this specific use. That was back during the good ol' days. Why someone made the decision to change the purpose of this forum is beyond me. It would be nice if it were changed back to its original purpose because it made for a relaxing atmosphere. Perhaps, since a MOD told you to "come here", it means it will be changing. I am not much for chit chat myself anymore. I just wanted to post to wish y'all a safe Labor Day holiday. And I wish safety to all those in the path of Dorian.

They must have loosened the reins quite a while ago because, over time, there have been a huge number of wandering threads left to their own devices.

I've been keeping an eye on Dorian, which is headed right for a number of people who are designers here. The last I saw, the storm showed signs of veering slightly northeast, which will be a blessing, though Florida is still likely to suffer an impact. Possibly states above it, too.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 6:03:54 AM
Happy Labor Day Gina!

Batten down Floridians. Praying for you!

Check in when you can. Love
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 6:37:19 AM
Yes, Stay safe those in the path of the storm!
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 8:37:28 AM
The storm seems to have taken a definite move to the north and east, which should spare Florida the worst of it, but they may well still be hit with mammoth rain, tides, and floods, which can all lead to power outages.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 10:06:06 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I've been keeping an eye on Dorian, which is headed right for a number of people who are designers here. The last I saw, the storm showed signs of veering slightly northeast, which will be a blessing, though Florida is still likely to suffer an impact. Possibly states above it, too.

We're on the east coast of south Florida and there's another regular poster whose name I cant remember right now who I am pretty sure is also down south here in FL somewhere. Pretty scary with the projection looking like it was going to make landfall right on top of us but positive news this morning that it does indeed seem to be moving eastward. Fingers and everything else crossed right now for everyone along the east coast that it keeps moving farther off shore. Break over, back to preparations.
Smile
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 10:38:53 AM
Home Depot has done fairly well, selling out of plywood and gas containers and generators.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 11:09:17 AM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
What is a favorite special treat that you get at the grocery?

At the moment, I'd have to say it's Private Selection Denali Extreme Maximum Fudge Moose Tracks ice cream. ("Private Selection" is a Kroger house brand.)

The odd thing is, I don't generally like chocolate-flavored things; I'd rather just have the chocolate itself. So that makes this ice cream a rare exception.

ETA: Thought of another - Tiramisu and cannoli - we have a small, local grocery store that has a little cafe where they sell both.

But right now I'm craving the gingerbread cake that my grandmother used to make. Will have to see if I can locate her recipe book.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 12:22:27 PM
MarBethHolidays wrote:
Have you seen the latest products ... sashes!!! Looking at these sashes makes it a little hard to behave. Things like DIVA and dummkopf come to mind!!!Grin

Sashes? like as in "here she comes, Miss America?"

what?
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 12:42:28 PM
Yes, I had a peculiar reaction to the sashes too.

Fuzzy, now you've gone and done it by mentioning cannoli, which put me in mind of my first apartment, which was over an Italian bakery. It was absolute torture when the baker started baking. The aromas of all kinds of Italian goodies would drift up through the floorboards. Yes, and he made Napoleons divine enough to kill for.
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 2:42:09 PM
A lot of new products being released... and on a Saturday to boot! I think Z has the holidays confused lol Instead of Labor Day, it feels like Christmas!
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 3:49:55 PM
I know, JamesC is getting some overtime.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 11:04:45 AM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
I knew that one person, who lives near an airport , was from Florida but I figure there are more. Wishing all of them the best.

I live on the central East coast of Florida, only a few miles inland and we are preparing with hurricane shutters for the windows, just in case. Fortunately we have a generator and window AC unit now.
Hope it keeps going east to spare the beaches and those residents. Already there are beach warnings for high surf and rip currents.

Thanks for the well-wishes Love Fingers crossed the power stays on....and good luck to my fellow Floridians and those in the Carolinas, who may get it the worst.

Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 11:17:18 AM
Last I looked, it was a category 5 ready to hit the Bahamas.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 11:45:21 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Last I looked, it was a category 5 ready to hit the Bahamas.

yikes!

hunker down Bahamas!
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 12:03:01 PM
It hit the Bahamas with 185 MPH winds according to some reports and 200 MPH winds according to others! Shocked

It is being called the "strongest hurricane in modern history".
It doesn't seem to be slowing down. I have seen footage come from the area and it is devastating. So, so sad!

EDITING TO ADD:

We are watching closely to see where it goes next. One way we will get a bucket load of rain here in the Western Carolinas. Another way we probably won't get even a sprinkle.

My husband was offered a promotion that would take us from our home here in Greenville, SC, to the coast in Charleston, SC. This hurricane has him thinking he should turn it down. We went through Hugo in 1989 when we lived 400 miles inland in NC. But, even then, it was still a Cat 1 and did a lot of damage. He wonders if we should risk living at the coast. He knows I love the beach, but this will be his decision to make.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 12:18:22 PM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:
It hit the Bahamas with 185 MPH winds according to some reports and 200 MPH winds according to others! Shocked

It doesn't seem to be slowing down. I have seen footage come from the area and it is devastating. So, so sad!

Seashells just said that it is heading for the Carolinas. You and your family stay safe.

We are all ok in this area. We aren't expecting anything other than a normal rainstorm event up to one with heavy rain. I hope anyone in the path has gotten to safer ground if able.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 12:21:29 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:

EDITING TO ADD:

We are watching closely to see where it goes next. One way we will get a bucket load of rain here in the Western Carolinas. Another way we probably won't get even a sprinkle.

My husband was offered a promotion that would take us from our home here in Greenville, SC, to the coast in Charleston, SC. This hurricane has him thinking he should turn it down. We went through Hugo in 1989 when we lived 400 miles inland in NC. But, even then, it was still a Cat 1 and did a lot of damage. He wonders if we should risk living at the coast. He knows I love the beach, but this will be his decision to make.

hard call to make...

I know I was happy to be able to move away from Moore Oklahoma which gets repeatedly hit by monster tornadoes.

I still live in Tornado country but not on that favorite path they like to take year after year. I still say they should change the name of that town to "No More".

One thing with hurricanes, you usually have plenty of advanced warning to prepare as much as possible for them. But category 5 is pretty destructive and best to just get out of the way.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 12:28:33 PM
I can still see in mind images from the Moore tornado and the one that Joplin, Missouri, and Birmingham, Alabama. Ya know, I often wonder how anyone can live in Tornado Alley. Then I remember where I live. I live in what is referred to as Dixie Alley. There is a town not far up the road a ways that was devastated by an F4 in the 90's (long before we moved here). That town is also called Moore. I wonder about these things, yet here I am hoping my husband takes the promotion to the coast where Hurricanes hit. At least with hurricanes you get ample warning and can evacuate if you choose to.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 12:31:21 PM
I could never move south from NYS. I still remember the nightmares about drowning that I had when I was a kid.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 12:39:20 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
MarBethHolidays wrote:
Have you seen the latest products ... sashes!!! Looking at these sashes makes it a little hard to behave. Things like DIVA and dummkopf come to mind!!!Grin

Sashes? like as in "here she comes, Miss America?"

what?

All I could think of was that they are targeting quinceaneras maybe?
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 1:25:00 PM
I just listened to a report that it will be weakening so, even though it can still do damage, this is good news.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 2:29:15 PM
Skip wrote:

My dogs and I were in the Greenville newspaper a few years ago.
Thats my girl Prada looking in the lens of the camera and William standing in the background

Beautiful dogs!! Do you live in this area or you were just here for the Games?
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 3:43:20 PM
MarBethHolidays wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:
I can still see in mind images from the Moore tornado and the one that Joplin, Missouri, and Birmingham, Alabama. Ya know, I often wonder how anyone can live in Tornado Alley. Then I remember where I live. I live in what is referred to as Dixie Alley. There is a town not far up the road a ways that was devastated by an F4 in the 90's (long before we moved here). That town is also called Moore. I wonder about these things, yet here I am hoping my husband takes the promotion to the coast where Hurricanes hit. At least with hurricanes you get ample warning and can evacuate if you choose to.

Gina and Shelli

Look at Deltec homes. They are good for hurricanes and somewhat good for tornadoes.

the name sounds familiar Smile
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 3:45:23 PM
@Skip's scotties Love Love Love Love Love Love Love Love Love Love
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 1:24:50 AM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Skip

I just posted this on Facebook and Twitter because we know what you mean about people being nasty.

Quote:
https://www.zazzle.com/store/the_scottie_shop #scotties
Like the products & don't like mean people, then share & help this Zazzle designer. He showed his dogs & did well but quit due to competitor meanness
https://www.zazzle.com/store/exchangeyear
https://www.zazzle.com/store/ring_essentials
https://www.zazzle.com/store/skip_s/products
https://www.zazzle.com/store/skip_s/products

I don't want to get you in trouble with those people again. Let me know if you want me to change it.

Please change your posts
Thanks
Delete the comments about the other people
Its true but I shouldn't have posted anything
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 3:00:58 AM
Roses
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 2:20:10 PM
I hope everyone in the path of that hurricane will stay safe. I saw this morning on the news all the devastation in the Bahamas. So sad. I saw it's now been downgraded to a cat 2 and will be just off the coast, so hoping you guys inland will not be in for too many problems.

As far as getting favorite treats at the market is concerned my 2 go-to treats are cocktail shrimp and Lindt dark chocolate bars with 85% cacao. Yum!
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:39:44 PM
May I never become this OCD.....

I just stood and waited for someone at the grocery store to pick out about 1/2 lb of green beans----one------bean------at--------a--------time........ being sure to thoroughly mix the bin between each pick to be sure to turn up all of the very finest, blemish free and perfectly sized matched beans too...

aaaahhhhhh! - never - I must live dangerously and simply plunge my hand in and grab a fist full, heedless of any stray bean flowers, stems or mushy beans (after all they are on sale for $2.99/lb)
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:49:26 PM
Invincible Penguin wrote:
May I never become this OCD.....

I just stood and waited for someone at the grocery store to pick out about 1/2 lb of green beans----one------bean------at--------a--------time........ being sure to thoroughly mix the bin between each pick to be sure to turn up all of the very finest, blemish free and perfectly sized matched beans too...

aaaahhhhhh! - never - I must live dangerously and simply plunge my hand in and grab a fist full, heedless of any stray bean flowers, stems or mushy beans (after all they are on sale for $2.99/lb)

too funny! I'm with you! life's too short to worry about perfect green beans! now zucchini is another story... just kidding!