Food label oddball display
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 3:59:24 AM
Do any of you have labels for items such as pickles, jams and jellies, tomatoes, or anything else that would be canned? If so, were you selling them until Zazzle changed the display from a Mason jar to a canister? That’s what happened to me. The sales flatlined, and it’s understandable. Say a customer comes across your beautiful label for marmalade, and sees it dwarfed on a canister. That customer is going to walk away. I know I would.

Anyone else affected by the awkward display?
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 8:54:37 AM
I had some ideas for labels, but I cancelled them with the display change. I don't even like posting them as a seller, and I know the mason jar display is much more appealing to buyers.

If they bring the mason jar view back, I'll make some food labels. Otherwise, nah.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 9:49:25 AM
Maybe they don't do it in California, but in the rest of the country, people preserve all kinds of things for gifts, and I could see that's where my sales were. Anything fresh from the garden from strawberry jam to pickled beets.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 12:25:49 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Maybe they don't do it in California, but in the rest of the country, people preserve all kinds of things for gifts, and I could see that's where my sales were. Anything fresh from the garden from strawberry jam to pickled beets.

I still don't get it, we have mason jars... why not display the food labels on them.

There are still alot of us who can out here, mason jars are not just for wedding decorations!

those big white canisters are ugly. sorry to be blunt but yuk!

Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 12:34:16 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

I still don't get it, we have mason jars... why not display the food labels on them.

There are still alot of us who can out here, mason jars are not just for wedding decorations!

That's what they used--Mason jars--before deciding people liked to put tiny labels on opaque canisters and that said Pickles or Blueberry Jam. Really?
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 2:14:58 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

That's what they used--Mason jars--before deciding people liked to put tiny labels on opaque canisters and that said Pickles or Blueberry Jam. Really?

We also use mason jars for all sorts of homemade jam and preserved fruits and vegetables here in Italy (same in Switzerland). These are nice gifts, especially when decorated with lovely labels and lid wraps. I remember the jar mockup, looked better than the canister version, IMO. Why not offer both variants, so designers can choose the one that fits their design best.
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 2:46:19 AM

You're being way too kind! Where I come from our bluntness would label that canister as b u t t ugly!

Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 5:16:47 AM
eclecticpastime wrote:

You're being way too kind! Where I come from our bluntness would label that canister as b u t t ugly!

Laughing

Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 12:40:29 PM
Off topic sorta: We use mason jars for canning and drinking sweet tea. My neighbor used mason jars, recycled mayo jars, and recycled pickle jars for canning. My favorite was a vintage glass Planter's peanuts jar she gave me some jam in that I have since washed and display on a shelf. I also don't care for the way they display the labels and so haven't made any for my stores.
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 12:45:49 PM
No, you aren't really off-topic. First of all, Mason jars aren't the only ones used for canning, but if you look at the examples you gave, they're all clear so the contents can be seen. I've never seen any kind of preserve in an opaque container.
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 1:24:36 PM
Colorwash, have you tried bringing this up in the feedback forum? If so, what did Zazzle say?
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 5:05:33 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Colorwash, have you tried bringing this up in the feedback forum? If so, what did Zazzle say?

Was brought up a long time ago, right after they did the changes. Not the first time the neglected jars made it into these forums ;-)
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 5:05:55 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:

Yes, I did, but there were crickets on Zazzle’s end.
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 9:25:12 AM
Did they make the change when they started selling Mason jars as a product?
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 10:37:31 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

I'm not sure, though I could swear they changed after the fact. Even if this is the issue, it probably shouldn't be since the patent ran out for the original jar. Maybe they could get hold of one from an antiques collector, but a generic canning jar of some sort would more than suffice.

EDIT: A quick search in a browser brought this up: https://www.bottlestore.com/industry-container-catalog/food-and-beverage/pickling-and-canning-jars-wholesale.html

Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 5:00:29 PM
I just checked my sales and had to laugh. After all my bellyaching, this came in:

Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 7:17:00 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I just checked my sales and had to laugh. After all my bellyaching, this came in:

Laughing well congrats anyway! Roses

you can preserve a whole gallon of pickles in that canister. Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 7:23:25 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

I'm not sure, though I could swear they changed after the fact. Even if this is the issue, it probably shouldn't be since the patent ran out for the original jar. Maybe they could get hold of one from an antiques collector, but a generic canning jar of some sort would more than suffice.

EDIT: A quick search in a browser brought this up: https://www.bottlestore.com/industry-container-catalog/food-and-beverage/pickling-and-canning-jars-wholesale.html

I was thinking maybe they changed the display to avoid confusion between the label product offerings and their mason jar offerings.
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 8:14:12 AM
I can't just stop bellyaching, not when I was on such a roll, so here's something else: Can you find food labels in the department tree? I finally found them this morning, then I just now tried again and had to go through the entire process of elimination all over again. They're in Home > Kitchen & Dining > Storage & Carriers. I find it odd enough that, the next time I go looking, I probably won't be able to find them again. Actually, I have this same problem with a number of other products.

Edit: It's pickling season. I just sold a different pickle label. If I keep complaining, do you think I'll sell even more?
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:10:07 AM
+1 bump

Food prep, seed saving, and bla bla homestead stuff is my next year plan.

Still making animals, however washed out to sea issue will happen in time.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 11:33:50 AM
The real issue is that nearly everything people use these food labels for is acidic to one degree or another and needs to be in glass. Besides wanting to see what's inside, it's generally wise to not trust ceramics since acid can leach toxic chemicals from the glaze. Most people who do home canning know this, but Zazzle can be excused for being unaware. However, I wish they'd listen to those of us who know about preservation so customers aren't put off by the display's incorrect container.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:04:35 PM
I was just now on Pinterest, floating in my stuff, when I came across my food label board: https://www.pinterest.com/framelocker/labels-for-the-kitchen/

If any of you are new enough to not know how food labels were displayed before the unfortunate change, you'll be able to see it on that board.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 4:28:29 PM
Colorwash wrote:

Haha, I'm from California and yes, canning is a thing here too. Smile

I am also mystified with the change. I just discovered searching the keyword 'canning' goes to mason jars yesterday. And the keyword is no longer searchable on Product pages. I have to switch out that keyword on tons of products!

I'm also frustrated to discover I can't even filter for 'canning' on the back end. How am I supposed to find those products to fix them? Seriously, does anyone know?

And, are we sure those mason jars can withstand the canning process???

This makes no sense. My sales have tanked too. Crying
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 3:12:10 AM
You have to type “canning label” into the search box. Which is strange.
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:13:24 AM
Are these the labels that are a product option along with the beer/wine/liquor/water bottle labels? I was really wondering what they were for since the ceramic canister thing just made no sense to me. Well anyhow, I haven't done any yet since I've been mostly focused on weddings, (homemade jam as a wedding favor?Stick out tongue ) but it's good to know what they're really for! Anyhow, I think you can change the marketing display on those so it defaults to showing just the label instead of the label on the stupid canister, so if/when I get around to designing some, I'll probably choose that option. Not a great option, but a better one!
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:38:48 AM
ZingerBug wrote:
Anyhow, I think you can change the marketing display on those so it defaults to showing just the label instead of the label on the stupid canister, so if/when I get around to designing some, I'll probably choose that option. Not a great option, but a better one!

That's precisely what I've done. No jam of mine is going in a can. LOL
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 3:12:43 PM
If they want avoid confusion they could easily avoid it by picking a different type and size of jar. Grandma, mom, nor myself would never use a quart size jar. A mockup with toast w/ butter and jam would grab the attention of consumer.

Looking at food is a primitive instinct.
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 11:02:08 PM
Ira wrote:
If they want avoid confusion they could easily avoid it by picking a different type and size of jar. Grandma, mom, nor myself would never use a quart size jar. A mockup with toast w/ butter and jam would grab the attention of consumer.

All of the pictures are confusing and misleading to me. They make it look like you are getting the jar or the cute little bottles with a label - like the mason jars. There's only one image of the sticker, and no image of the sheet of stickers you're getting.

Could Z please at least include an image of the sheet, like they do for mailing labels and the other stickers?

They seem to insist on defaulting to the 'jar' view when I publish, so I've been going back to each product to change the view to the sticker itself. Time consuming, but I'm trying to salvage my canning/food/baking sticker/label sales! Crying
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:21:13 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Karen Coffelt wrote:

Yes, I did, but there were crickets on Zazzle’s end.

I'm sorry you didn't get any response from them. You'd think they would want to make sure to do all they can to entice the customer to part with their money. It's a win-win for us all.