Collection banners on mobile devices
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:31:06 AM
So you spend time and efforts to create a nice collection banner, upload it and check it out on your pc...

Then you switch to your smartphone (works apparently on your tablet, too), and get...

While expecting somewhat like...

What a bummer.
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:20:22 AM
Is there still no banner if you turn the phone horizontally? (I don’t have a smart phone.)
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:49:44 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Is there still no banner if you turn the phone horizontally? (I don’t have a smart phone.)

Neither here. Used first Chrome's developer tools to simulate a mobile device, tried also iPads and horizontal mode, nothing. tested then on my mother's smartphone, no image either on real ones. On PC, if you make your window smaller to phone size, it still shows the banner. Will be a design decision, no collection banners on mobile devices, for whatever reason (the save-bandwidth one doesn't really make sense, you can still show adapted versions). Considering that mobile users have allegedly overtaken desktop ones, there goes one more attempt to make your Z store look more appealing. At least to the mobile world.
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:52:10 AM
Just tested it on my iPhone 6 with one of my collections and there is no banner either way.

bummer indeedSad
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:38:07 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Just tested it on my iPhone 6 with one of my collections and there is no banner either way.

bummer indeedSad

Found out by accident. Got fiber internet yesterday after years of waiting and played around. Already used Chrome's tools to simulate mobile devices for my own website, but never really checked Zazzle. Checked Zazzle further on my mom's phone after this and I came to the conclusion, that I have definitely to redirect my ads and promos to my own website first, to get the best impact and sale conversion rates. The banners on our Zazzle stores are also a huge mess on mobiles, it's terrible. You can't link your ads to such pages, you will lose at least 50% of the - paid - visitors at first impact. Pretty annoying, cause I thought to fill up my store first, before working on the website, what is a huge work. At this point I need to rethink my priorities, before starting spending cash for ads.

But hey, at least I can create fancy all over shirts now, with the fast connection, what wasn't possible before due to timeout issues resulting by the low upload speed. They look amazing and will be guaranteed bestsellers in my case and niche. It's a shame that Zazzle still doesn't have such a cool product in their assortment.
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:57:58 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
tried also iPads and horizontal mode, nothing.

I see the banners on my iPad whether horizontal or vertical.
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:05:48 PM
Colorwash wrote:
PetsDreamlands wrote:

Well that is good news, it must just be the smallest screens that can't see them.
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:27:27 PM
I imagine that everything will eventually be coded for the smart phones too. Maybe it's more difficult doing them.
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:30:34 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I imagine that everything will eventually be coded for the smart phones too. Maybe it's more difficult doing them.

maybe, I know many places now have responsive features that automatically detect the size of the viewers screen and present the correct size for them. That sounds hard to me...

Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 1:09:44 PM
If I open a Collection using the Zazzle mobile app - no banner. If I go to the website using my browser (I use Firefox) it automatically loads the mobile site - no banner regardless of which way I have my phone oriented. However, I can click the option to switch to desktop version and then the banner is there and everything looks normal (which IMO is better than the mobile version).
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 1:17:24 PM
Colorwash wrote:
PetsDreamlands wrote:

Just tested again on Chrome mobile emulation mode and iPad + iPad Pro work both now (don't ask me why they didn't show up in the tests I did before, probably the display didn't refresh correctly after hitting ctrl F5). That's good, at least the tablets are covered. Phones still won't either orientation, and this one I've tested also in real on a Windows phone.

Colorwash wrote:

maybe, I know many places now have responsive features that automatically detect the size of the viewers screen and present the correct size for them. That sounds hard to me...

Yep, I create responsive websites for years now, but I take care that the sites look fine and have the full content on every device. You have all tools you need, it's just a matter of choices and care. Some developers go full mobile only neglecting PCs, instead of mobile first but caring that the content looks good also on a 1920 wide screen. These are the sites which annoy you on PC with huge, oversized images, fonts that can be read by a half-blind granny across the Mississippi, hidden menus, 2-inch icons and content split up over x pages with 2 paragraphs per page even on huge screens. Not just a personal opinion.

Anyway, doesn't matter and I don't bother. Just vented a lil bit. Appealing previews are way more important than this.
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:38:02 PM
Quote:
a half-blind granny across the Mississippi

hey, hey, HEY! don't get personal there Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 10:42:29 PM
Quote:

As an old, grumpy and 3/4 blind Methuselah, I'm allowed to. If you know Jeff Dunham's Walter, you'll get the idea Stick out tongue
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:08:18 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
Quote:

As an old, grumpy and 3/4 blind Methuselah, I'm allowed to. If you know Jeff Dunham's Walter, you'll get the idea Stick out tongue

Not at all a good excuse. You'll have to try harder. Grin
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:25:53 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Not at all a good excuse. You'll have to try harder. Grin

SILENCE!
I KIIIIILLLL YOUUUUUUUU!

Laughing