Burnt out and it's only the 6th lol
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:38:15 AM
Well I have been doing everything except Zazzle / POD work today.

I was hanging out on Ancestry.com and found some lady who said a relative of mine went to NZ and I said like, "Whahh?"

Then I found some free fonts and downloaded them.

Then I hung out on facebook for awhile and I've just made popcorn and going to read a little bit.....

I am avoiding my task lists big time. Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:33:40 PM
After spending time trying to deal with a clock that refused to show my hand color choice (Scott fixed it), just like you, I hung out at Ancestry for a while, but I couldn't concentrate, so I scrubbed down the kitchen counters.

I thought, "Okay, maybe a wine label will be just about my speed," but I was too slow for it.

My son cracked me up so badly that I had to go find a quiet spot, which was when I thought I could bake something, and that's what I'm off to do now.

We do NOT have to do anything we don't want to do.
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:58:41 PM
You have to take some time for yourself.

I get a LOT of ideas when I'm away from my computer at mom's. And I have the freedom to play with the words until I find something I just have to write down. When I'm sitting with a pad or computer in front of me, I get lost in the fonts and designs, and stop working on making the design more dynamic.

And step away knowing that you've been working hard on your business, and now it's time to work on your home/family a little.
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:03:25 PM
My best ideas come when contemplating nothing in particular while sitting downstairs in the half-finished basement.

The doughnut dough has rested, and now it's time for the frying part. It's so cool the way they flip themselves over in the oil when the underside is done. Very accommodating of them.

Burnout is not a happy thing, but doughnuts are.
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:17:11 PM
Colorwash wrote:

The doughnut dough has rested, and now it's time for the frying part. It's so cool the way they flip themselves over in the oil when the underside is done. Very accommodating of them.

I agree, donuts can solve many things in our lives.

RGebbie, I too, occasionally have a hard times just focusing on the project at hand. Taking a break does recharge those batteries.

Smile
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:29:30 PM
it's been a good day to piddle around!Happy
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:02:30 PM
I'm knee-deep in putting away Thanksgiving and putting up Christmas. Right now, it's updating the inventory database, so that I can print ornament reports for each tree, so that I'll know what boxes to pull out of the closet, and which tree on which floor they belong on. (And hubby just got home from bowling, and informed me that he wants all the ornaments up by the end of the weekend. Um, gee - no pressure.)

I also took a detour to Ancestry, to look at new DNA matches.

But Zazzling? Mmmmmm, nope. I get ideas, but never when it's convenient for me to work on them, so I forget them by the time it would be. My chief buyer had planned on buying stuff for other family members for Christmas from my shop, but she's been gravely ill, so I don't expect her to follow through. No sales for November, but I did sell a charm the other day; I expect it will end up being my only sale for December. Then it's on to the dead zone of January and beyond.

Maybe I'll make something new at some point. Probably I won't.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:33:16 AM
I wish donuts could solve things! But, they don't solve anything in my life.

Probably because I can't eat them. Crying

I get my best ideas when I'm dancing. Love

Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:17:27 AM
UROCKDezineZone wrote:

Back when I was a teenager, I set bacon to fry in the kitchen, put music on in the living room, and got happily lost dancing to it. Then I noticed a strange orange flickering in the dining room that separated kitchen and living room. The bacon was in flames. Dancing is to be recommended only when not frying bacon.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:10:13 AM
Colorwash wrote:
UROCKDezineZone wrote:

Back when I was a teenager, I set bacon to fry in the kitchen, put music on in the living room, and got happily lost dancing to it. Then I noticed a strange orange flickering in the dining room that separated kitchen and living room. The bacon was in flames. Dancing is to be recommended only when not frying bacon.

Sitting down on the couch of the living room with kitchen corner in clear view can be hazardous. My neighbors once had to save me from a burnt fish in the oven. (Young and overworked ...)
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:25:02 AM
vivendulies wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
UROCKDezineZone wrote:

Sitting down on the couch of the living room with kitchen corner in clear view can be hazardous. My neighbors once had to save me from a burnt fish in the oven. (Young and overworked ...)

You probably learned the same vital lesson that I did: Don't walk out of the kitchen.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 10:02:46 AM
Fuzzy wrote:
I'm knee-deep in putting away Thanksgiving and putting up Christmas. Right now, it's updating the inventory database, so that I can print ornament reports for each tree, so that I'll know what boxes to pull out of the closet, and which tree on which floor they belong on. (And hubby just got home from bowling, and informed me that he wants all the ornaments up by the end of the weekend. Um, gee - no pressure.)

Laughing You are a Christmas fanatic Fuzzy. Good luck with that request.

If we lived closer together, we could all convene at your house with baked goods and we'd help you out. Which reminds me, should I set up a Christmas living room / kitchen in the forums this year? We could share holiday laughs and recipes.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:09:44 PM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Laughing You are a Christmas fanatic Fuzzy. Good luck with that request.

Some of the trees will be easier than others. The larger tree in the family room (which oddly holds fewer ornaments than the smaller trees) will be entirely music/musical instrument themed - those ornaments are mostly all in one box. The tabletop tree and pencil tree in the dining room will have small-sized ornaments - again all in one box. And the wall tree in the basement gets the small rocking horses, and those are all in one box.

But the regular tree in the basement, already half-decorated with new acquisitions, will be finished off by last year's acquisitions, spread around who knows how many boxes. Hubby is planning to decorate the tree in the 'parlor' with rocking horse ornaments where the horse is more of an abstract representation of the horse. No idea how many boxes will need to be pulled for that. And almost certainly there will be at least one box positioned at a place in the closet that will require taking them all out just to get at it. Which is why I keep a spreadsheet mapping out where they all go back in. It's like a big jig-saw puzzle.

Of course, there's also getting the individual ornament boxes back into the larger box they're stored in afterward. that's also like putting to together a jig-saw puzzle; a really frustrating jig-saw puzzle. I'm usually pretty good about arranging things as they're taken out so that I can remember how they go back in. Hubby, not so much.

LM Gildersleeve wrote:
If we lived closer together, we could all convene at your house with baked goods and we'd help you out.

Laughing You'd probably all runaway screaming once you saw how many boxes there are to deal with.

LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Which reminds me, should I set up a Christmas living room / kitchen in the forums this year? We could share holiday laughs and recipes.

I'd like that; we'll have to figure out how to keep it Zazzle-related though so certain people don't complain. Maybe we can post pictures of our Zazzle ornaments on our trees, or our Zazzle trivets in the kitchen, etc.
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 4:55:17 AM
Fuzzy wrote:

LM Gildersleeve wrote:
If we lived closer together, we could all convene at your house with baked goods and we'd help you out.

Laughing You'd probably all runaway screaming once you saw how many boxes there are to deal with.

Or I'd kill you for being too picky. Laughing Man Christmas is a lot of work for you. But I bet your home looks beautiful when decorated.

Fuzzy wrote:
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Which reminds me, should I set up a Christmas living room / kitchen in the forums this year? We could share holiday laughs and recipes.

I'd like that; we'll have to figure out how to keep it Zazzle-related though so certain people don't complain. Maybe we can post pictures of our Zazzle ornaments on our trees, or our Zazzle trivets in the kitchen, etc.

Oh I don't think it would be a problem. Last year I had the thread in the Bronze forum and some of those people participated. hehe

Zazzle never shut that thread down. Smile

I like your idea of sharing the Z ornaments though. Myself I don't own any but it would be fun to see others.
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 7:06:47 AM
Colorwash wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
UROCKDezineZone wrote:

You probably learned the same vital lesson that I did: Don't walk out of the kitchen.

Unfortunately, I have still not learned this lesson. I've burnt a great number of pots, even in the last couple of years, as well as set off the fire alarms in the middle of the night and ruined way too many dinners to contemplate. It's probably best that I just stay out of the kitchen entirely.
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 7:12:00 AM
My wonderful trick with my gas stove is to put a pot on the back burner with its handle hovering over the front burner and then turning on the front burner without looking. Ever smelled plastic burning? Stick out tongue
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 8:50:43 AM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Man Christmas is a lot of work for you. But I bet your home looks beautiful when decorated.

It's probably more work taking it all back down, since any new acquisitions have to be photographed & inventoried, photos printed for the ornament boxes so that we know what goes back where, new storage boxes need to get assigned numbers, and have the number put on them, and then hauling it all from the basement and main floor back up to the closet on the 2nd floor. Plus the annual closet jig-saw puzzle. It has been known to take months; fortunately, we don't get a lot of visitors the rest of the year, and the few we do get know what to expect.

The house does look nice all decorated, though. Not quite to the level of looking like a Christmas bomb exploded and left elves hanging from the chandeliers. We're doing a lot less outside; we used to wrap the supports on the front porch with lights, but we've decided it's just one hassle we can do without. So there's just a spiral lit tree, a blow-up rocking horse, and another rocking horse that doesn't rock any more, but still looks pretty. That's it for outdoor decorations. We'll leave the massive outdoor decorating to our neighbors. Let's just say I have no trouble finding my house in the dark of night, thanks to them.
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 10:35:48 AM
Buy some glass marbles. Put them in a sauce pan, and add a cup of water, set to simmer when you are cooking something. As the water boils out, the marbles will start to bounce and make a racket and bring you back to the kitchen Grin
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 11:05:07 AM
I've learned to carry a timer around with me, setting it to go off before whatever is cooking could possibly be near explosion.
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 12:39:59 PM
vivendulies wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
UROCKDezineZone wrote:

My father once made bacon flambe' when I was a kid. He grabbed the pan and threw it outside into the snow, where it skidded across the icy walk, and came to rest directly beneath the week-old station wagon he had bought the family for Christmas. I have never seen a man in socks and underwear move so cat-like to retrieve a set of keys and back a car from a driveway at NASCAR speeds. Good times.
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 12:52:49 PM
Softproduct wrote:
My father once made bacon flambe' when I was a kid. He grabbed the pan and threw it outside into the snow, where it skidded across the icy walk, and came to rest directly beneath the week-old station wagon he had bought the family for Christmas. I have never seen a man in socks and underwear move so cat-like to retrieve a set of keys and back a car from a driveway at NASCAR speeds. Good times.

Such things are fond memories made of.
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 12:54:47 PM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

I agree, donuts can solve many things in our lives.

Smile

And lets not forget chocolate. Chocolate makes the world go 'round and helps me think more clearly, It stops me from thinking about Zrank and wondering where my products are in the marketplace.
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 2:51:52 PM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:
Buy some glass marbles. Put them in a sauce pan, and add a cup of water, set to simmer when you are cooking something. As the water boils out, the marbles will start to bounce and make a racket and bring you back to the kitchen Grin

or and egg... when the egg explodes you will never forget the cooking is something you need to be there for! Laughing
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 3:11:21 PM
@LM - It's all perspective. We have 349 days until Black Friday...

https://www.zazzle.com/black+friday+cyber+monday

So kick up your feet, and take a break!
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:18:18 AM
Waiting for Zazzle ornaments I ordered to arrive... (taps feet, drums fingers)

We're making good progress on the trees. Two nearly done, and a decent start on a third. Still have to put up the tabletop tree and pencil tree, but those don't take very long to do. Metal ornament tree is assembled (it holds about a dozen; we usually use it to display some of the orb ornaments.)

Still have to finish packing up the remnants from Thanksgiving, and when the trees are done, it'll be time to distribute the rest of the decorations throughout the house.

At least I didn't dream about ornaments or decorating last night (as far as I know.)
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 12:20:06 PM
Well let's just say I'm the Queen and declare this thread our Around The Fireplace For Christmas thread. Smile

igiftcenter wrote:
And lets not forget chocolate. Chocolate makes the world go 'round and helps me think more clearly, It stops me from thinking about Zrank and wondering where my products are in the marketplace.

Oh yeah, chocolate! I'll bake some wicked good chocolate cookies while you all give us cooking horror stories to compare.

The women called Roy wrote:
@LM - It's all perspective. We have 349 days until Black Friday...

Absolutely. I have Christmas suites I have lined up to create but dang if they will make it for Christmas 2017.

Fuzzy you are scaring me. I am sitting here procrastinating writing more holiday cards and you're still putting away Thanksgiving. BTW, if you can share photos of those ornaments here that would be cool.

So if anyone wants to share funny/scary etc. holiday stories or a recipe or pictures of decorations... your holiday house designs... what ever... feel free.

This thread will be a great way to get nothing else done! Laughing

Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:19:44 PM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Well let's just say I'm the Queen and declare this thread our Around The Fireplace For Christmas thread. Smile

Grin

LM Gildersleeve wrote:
igiftcenter wrote:

Oh yeah, chocolate! I'll bake some wicked good chocolate cookies while you all give us cooking horror stories to compare.

Cookie baking marathon was last Saturday for us. 953 cookies baked and/or decorated, plus the friend we do the marathon with brought over the fudge he had already cooked.

And yes, they include some chocolate ones - Nutella cookies and Chocolate cookies with a Rollo (chocolate-covered caramel) in the middle. I decorated 96 gingerbread cookies and 140 sugar cookies. There were also Peanut Butter cookies with Hershey Kisses, Cranberry White Chocolate (with brandy), Thumbprint cookies with blackberry jelly, Snickerdoodles, and Graham Cracker cookies with pecans.

LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Fuzzy you are scaring me. I am sitting here procrastinating writing more holiday cards and you're still putting away Thanksgiving. BTW, if you can share photos of those ornaments here that would be cool.

I'll certainly try. Thanksgiving stuff is packed, three full-size trees are decorated, the wall tree is decorated, the table-top and pencil tree are assembled and lit. So we didn't quite get them all done, but I'm glad to have the three big ones finished. We also have a tree decal that you stick on the wall; apparently it comes with ornament decals that you stick onto the tree decal somehow, so it's like decorating another tree. Hubby wants to stick that behind the bar in the basement, where we'll entertain his friends next Saturday (an annual party that hubby has been hosting for decades - it started long before we met, and this will be year 37.)
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 10:38:05 AM
Fuzzy wrote:

Cookie baking marathon was last Saturday for us. 953 cookies baked and/or decorated, plus the friend we do the marathon with brought over the fudge he had already cooked.

Well, guess what... there will be no baking cookies in this house until the middle of next week. My oven went haywire and become a red hot furnace it only dreams of being. There must be something wrong with the themometer because it ignores the temperature it is set too and cooks everything at 550 degrees.

Laughing I'm not kidding. I couldn't figure out for two days why everything was cooking at half the time it was suppose too. I'm kind of bumming now, I'd like to bake real cookies.

Quote:
...And yes, they include some chocolate ones - Nutella cookies and Chocolate cookies with a Rollo (chocolate-covered caramel) in the middle. I decorated 96 gingerbread cookies and 140 sugar cookies. There were also Peanut Butter cookies with Hershey Kisses, Cranberry White Chocolate (with brandy), Thumbprint cookies with blackberry jelly, Snickerdoodles, and Graham Cracker cookies with pecans.

I'd be over in a jiffy if I lived any closer. I used to bake tons of cookies when the kids were small and also when my husband's side of the family ate gluten. What a drag they are now. lol Do you know how much almond flour is??

Quote:
We also have a tree decal that you stick on the wall; apparently it comes with ornament decals that you stick onto the tree decal somehow, so it's like decorating another tree.

Fascinating. That's perfect for someone who doesn't want a real or a large plastic tree. Dorm room maybe... the possibilities are endless.

Oh I love throwing parties. Two weekends ago we through the annual friends and neighbors pot luck. Great fun and good food too.