blender 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 4:52:51 AM
bump to show off

It's been about 2 weeks since my post saying I was going to try blender. Now I have made this:

It has its' problems and it may not sell because of those problems (and who even knows if there is a market for ice cream cones on phone cases) but I just wanted to put it out there. I made it from a CG Cookie tutorial as recommended upthread. It differes somewhat from the tutorial mostly in color choices and some of the curves are wonky. But hey, Two weeks.

For anybody who tried blender earlier and abandoned it because it was glitchy, it is (according to blog posts) far more stable and reliable now. I made this without crashing and all commands worked as expected.

For anybody who abandoned it because it was overwhelmingly convoluted, there are a lot more dropdown menus now so you no longer have to memorize 10K keyboard shortcuts.

For anybody who isn't even considering it because of the commitment of computer resources and render time, that's just for movies. Blender is certainly used for movies, the creation of which would take months even for an experienced user and the rendering of which would take hours (or a solid day) and may be too much for many computers. But for Zazzle purposes, you just make a single image which is quite a bit faster and easier on the computer.

It is still very complex so everything requires many, many steps. Since everything has many steps and most of them are critical and will torpedo your project if done wrong, tutorials are a must. Luckily there are billions. It will probably be months before I can make something without a tutorial.

If I can do it, anyone can.
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 8:09:05 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
bump to show off

It's been about 2 weeks since my post saying I was going to try blender. Now I have made this:

...But hey, Two weeks.

...It is still very complex so everything requires many, many steps...
...It will probably be months before I can make something without a tutorial.

It looks nice for your first attempt. It may not sell on cases, but there are surely items that fit well, such as the cake stand or igloo coolers. You can combine it with other objects and put them together to a nice, yummy ice cream scene.

Of course, the software is complex. If not, it wouldn't be really good. It will take time to master as any more or less professional application. That's normal.

I downloaded Blender when we talked about it, then my vid card died (perfect timing), so I first needed to wait a week to get the new one. Had then a look, watched also some mockup YT tutorials (duvet covers, towels, scarves, and all that stuff, that needs morphing to get nice mockups) and decided to get back to it in a second attempt, when I've more time. I'm used with such apps, but it was just too much even for me, atm. Have to concentrate on website and products first. As soon as I've some nice mockups to show, I'll post pics. Happy rendering!
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 9:48:05 AM
You can make 3d graphics in inkscape:

Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 9:55:50 AM
Nice shadows!
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 1:19:23 PM
waterart wrote:
You can make 3d graphics in inkscape:

Wow! I am always so impressed with your ink scape work! If I ever get the free time to learn it you have given me something to strive for!
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 1:20:52 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
bump to show off

It has its' problems and it may not sell because of those problems (and who even knows if there is a market for ice cream cones on phone cases) but I just wanted to put it out there. I made it from a CG Cookie tutorial as recommended upthread. It differes somewhat from the tutorial mostly in color choices and some of the curves are wonky. But hey, Two weeks.

For anybody who tried blender earlier and abandoned it because it was glitchy, it is (according to blog posts) far more stable and reliable now. I made this without crashing and all commands worked as expected.

For anybody who abandoned it because it was overwhelmingly convoluted, there are a lot more dropdown menus now so you no longer have to memorize 10K keyboard shortcuts.

For anybody who isn't even considering it because of the commitment of computer resources and render time, that's just for movies. Blender is certainly used for movies, the creation of which would take months even for an experienced user and the rendering of which would take hours (or a solid day) and may be too much for many computers. But for Zazzle purposes, you just make a single image which is quite a bit faster and easier on the computer.

It is still very complex so everything requires many, many steps. Since everything has many steps and most of them are critical and will torpedo your project if done wrong, tutorials are a must. Luckily there are billions. It will probably be months before I can make something without a tutorial.

I am impressed Susannah! you should try tiling it on socks or leggings. I think the ice cream cone will be more popular than you think. Smile
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 6:10:23 AM
Thanks