@ Fuzzy Felosarix
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 11:23:20 AM
Your replies whenever you help fellow designers with the descriptions of designs are always so steeped in love for language, I love it so much, you are sooooooooo good at it, if you ever have time and don't know what to do with it you should hire yourself out to help all of us :-)

Wishing you lots of SuccessLove
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 2:44:23 PM
yoursparklingshop wrote:
Your replies whenever you help fellow designers with the descriptions of designs are always so steeped in love for language, I love it so much, you are sooooooooo good at it, if you ever have time and don't know what to do with it you should hire yourself out to help all of us :-)

Thanks very much for the compliment! It's true, I do love language, including word origins (etymology). Writing is a big part of my work life, and interpretation plays a serious role in my research (family history/genealogy).

I'm actually looking forward to retirement, though. (One more year!)
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 9:35:25 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
yoursparklingshop wrote:

Thanks very much for the compliment! It's true, I do love language, including word origins (etymology). Writing is a big part of my work life, and interpretation plays a serious role in my research (family history/genealogy).

I'm actually looking forward to retirement, though. (One more year!)

Retirement hint ;-) if you were an author, no matter the subject, I would read all your books :-)
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 7:27:56 AM
yoursparklingshop wrote:
Retirement hint ;-) if you were an author, no matter the subject, I would read all your books :-)

The longest things I've ever written are handouts/electronic reference guides to supplement the classes I've provided to staff at the day job on things like MS Office applications and Adobe Acrobat. (Very dry material, which is why a live class where I can crack jokes / provide anecdotes and take questions throughout is a must for teaching it.) Excel alone compresses my own 40 hours of learning down to 6 hours, split into 3 sessions at about 2 hours each.

Not exactly exciting reading. I started a sci-fi novel once, but that requires a whole different level of writing ability (and was more all-consuming than my artistic endeavors.) It was 27 years ago, and having re-read some of it recently, it's a good thing I didn't try to complete it. It didn't hold up over the intervening years. It does give me a renewed respect for good fiction writers, though. I think I'll stick with what I know and the projects already waiting for me.
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 5:59:53 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
yoursparklingshop wrote:

The longest things I've ever written are handouts/electronic reference guides to supplement the classes I've provided to staff at the day job on things like MS Office applications and Adobe Acrobat. (Very dry material, which is why a live class where I can crack jokes / provide anecdotes and take questions throughout is a must for teaching it.) Excel alone compresses my own 40 hours of learning down to 6 hours, split into 3 sessions at about 2 hours each.

Not exactly exciting reading. I started a sci-fi novel once, but that requires a whole different level of writing ability (and was more all-consuming than my artistic endeavors.) It was 27 years ago, and having re-read some of it recently, it's a good thing I didn't try to complete it. It didn't hold up over the intervening years. It does give me a renewed respect for good fiction writers, though. I think I'll stick with what I know and the projects already waiting for me.

Wishing you a joyful road to your retirement, and lots of success with all your projects, in the meantime I'll continue enjoying your descriptions, they feel like little novels to me :-)
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 9:20:13 AM
yoursparklingshop wrote:
Wishing you a joyful road to your retirement, and lots of success with all your projects, in the meantime I'll continue enjoying your descriptions, they feel like little novels to me :-)

Thanks! I should probably work on fixing some of my own product descriptions. But like a lot of designers, I tend to get 'brain lock' when looking at my own stuff. So I mostly just fix the 'endangered' items that are threatened to be hidden. Mostly, I just want to keep moving forward, so I tend not to revisit products once they're published, unless I'm forced to do it.

You're not wrong about treating descriptions like 'little novels'. While a technical description of the art can be rich in keywords, it's not terribly exciting to a customer. So I try to come up with ways to do both, and to tell the 'story' of the art. I think a 'call to action' is good, too - something that prompts the customer to see how this design on this product could help them to achieve some goal ("spreading positivity" - for a button, "driving in style" - for a license plate frame, etc.) In that case, it's not just one's own story about the art, but prompting the customer to sort of write their own story for themselves as they apply their imagination to it - picturing themselves using the designed product.

There's a balance to be struck though between this kind of writing, versus it becoming the kind of ad copy that makes people do eye rolls. So I try to avoid superlatives.

Speaking of writing novels, I appear to be doing that with this post, so I'll stop here.