Art Censorship
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 6:40:00 AM
I have a 1970s collection and one of my art pieces is focused on the weird phenomenon of candy cigarettes for children in the 70s, specifically from my own childhood. All the grownups smoked and bought us candy cigarettes so we could practice smoking, like practice being grownups. It’s so crazy when you look at it now, and the drawing was meant to illustrate that but Zazzle has refused two orders for my mugs so far claiming my artwork glorified drug usage which it did not, at all. Isn’t this site for artists? What’s with the censorship?
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 7:36:20 AM
Interesting. If you run a quick search for "cigarette" in the marketplace, you'll see all kinds of images, not all of them anti-smoking.
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:17:13 AM
Sara Rogers wrote:
I have a 1970s collection and one of my art pieces is focused on the weird phenomenon of candy cigarettes for children in the 70s, specifically from my own childhood. All the grownups smoked and bought us candy cigarettes so we could practice smoking, like practice being grownups. It’s so crazy when you look at it now, and the drawing was meant to illustrate that but Zazzle has refused two orders for my mugs so far claiming my artwork glorified drug usage which it did not, at all. Isn’t this site for artists? What’s with the censorship?

I too am a child of the 70s and used to buy candy cigarettes. If that is your theme and you juxtaposed an image of a child and an image of a cigarette, that might be the problem. This is my guess. Or if you juxtaposed candy and cigarettes.

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:46:36 AM
You can still buy candy cigarettes Smile
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 10:47:13 AM
Not that kind of art community, where anything goes, which zazzle is very open with since they have the restrictions of this platform in their user agreements (see user conduct). And as for what is and isn't art not from the art critiques view but from the perspective of trade-law-maker is a whole other ball of wax. And since the artist and those lawmakers not really see eye to eye, zazzle can't be this free spirited art community you are thinking of either. And last but not least is the image zazzle wants to portray to the outside and that is fairly family friendly even where the "grown up" filter is applied.

Simply find a venue that is better suited than zazzle for this type of art and keep the stuff zazzle is fine with here.

Smile
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 10:54:24 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
You can still buy candy cigarettes Smile

Yeah, you can still get them around here, as well as bubble gum chewing tobacco.
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:06:00 PM
vivendulies wrote:
Not that kind of art community, where anything goes, which zazzle is very open with since they have the restrictions of this platform in their user agreements (see user conduct). And as for what is and isn't art not from the art critiques view but from the perspective of trade-law-maker is a whole other ball of wax. And since the artist and those lawmakers not really see eye to eye, zazzle can't be this free spirited art community you are thinking of either. And last but not least is the image zazzle wants to portray to the outside and that is fairly family friendly even where the "grown up" filter is applied.

Simply find a venue that is better suited than zazzle for this type of art and keep the stuff zazzle is fine with here.

Smile

https://www.zazzle.com/s/marijuana (includes items favorable toward marijuana and not just in the legal medical sense.
https://www.zazzle.com/s/cigarette (includes items favorable toward cigarettes, which are legal)
I believe that these searches would kind of negate that point. I have a PG filter on because I am a bit of a prude ( Laughing ), and when I was shopping for mugs at Christmas, I ran across some with close up drawings of nude male and female genitalia which was totally unexpected. Not drug related, but most certainly not considered family friendly in the US.
I'm pretty sure candy cigarettes are not worse than what is shown in those searches.

A child of the 80's here, that grew up with candy cigarettes!
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:59:44 PM
There are laws about making cigarettes appealing to children. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 8:06:50 PM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
vivendulies wrote:

Smile

https://www.zazzle.com/s/marijuana (includes items favorable toward marijuana and not just in the legal medical sense.
https://www.zazzle.com/s/cigarette (includes items favorable toward cigarettes, which are legal)
I believe that these searches would kind of negate that point. I have a PG filter on because I am a bit of a prude ( Laughing ), and when I was shopping for mugs at Christmas, I ran across some with close up drawings of nude male and female genitalia which was totally unexpected. Not drug related, but most certainly not considered family friendly in the US.
I'm pretty sure candy cigarettes are not worse than what is shown in those searches.

And yet this was too sensitive for zazzle:

Womens Views & Judgement & Cruelty? (SVG) VZS2 T-Shirt

And the zippo lighter is even more ridiculous as far as "censorship" goes.
Too cute for zippos:

Still more as for 3rd party rules this one counted as "politician" on postage and wasn't allowed:

In my experience that paragraph in the user agreements very much applies.
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 8:58:27 PM
vivendulies wrote:
MelroseOriginals wrote:
vivendulies wrote:

Smile

And yet this was too sensitive for zazzle:

Womens Views & Judgement & Cruelty? (SVG) VZS2 T-Shirt

And the zippo lighter is even more ridiculous as far as "censorship" goes.
Too cute for zippos:

Still more as for 3rd party rules this one counted as "politician" on postage and wasn't allowed:

In my experience that paragraph in the user agreements very much applies.

It seems the problem is inconsistency. I guess in the case of Zippos and postage it is a 3rd party and not Zazzle with their silly censorship, but what is allowed and what isn’t definitely doesn’t seem to have clear lines. I have no problem with reasonable rules and boundaries (especially since what we post here potentially reflects on zazzle), but everyone needs so be accountable to the same standards and not some allowed and others not.
I suppose it all boils down to perception and who is doing the vetting at any given time.