Antivirus software opinion
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:44:29 AM
I've used Avast for years, but it's become more and more bloated and more likely to interfere with normal operations. My son, who struggled yesterday with no internet connection, finally found the culprit: Avast. He wiped it out, was then able to get online, and he downloaded Kaspersky.

Being disgusted with Avast, I'm looking at either Kaspersky or Bitdefender, which are the two highest rated for the free versions. Has anyone had experience with either of them, good or bad?
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 10:52:15 AM
I use Bitdefender and I love it. I just renewed my subscription for another 2 years and added 3 more devices so I can upgrade my mom from the free version (which isn't half bad!)

Bitdefender blocked 5 suspicious connections this week.
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:04:48 AM
Thanks, Shelli. Reading reviews, Bitdefender and Kaspersky came out way on top, Kaspersky having a very slight edge, though I can't now remember why.

Wiping out Avast completely requires a special tool from Avast, and part of the job involves booting up in safe mode. Oy vey! I used to love it way back when it did what it was supposed to do and nothing further.
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:44:16 AM
I think a big difference between the 2 top runners is how comfortable or inclined you are to be hands on in the settings and operations of your AV.

I am capable of tweaking mine but I don't really want to have to think about it when I have so much else going on. My mom on the other hand has to have something that is set it and forget it.

I like the autopilot feature of Bitdefender for those reasons, I can trust it to do what it does without me.

but I have read good things about Kaspersky also. I think if Bitdefender had not been so good I would have chosen them next.
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:47:17 AM
On a side note Malwarebytes premium is pretty good too but doesn't play nice with other AV software.

I have MWB free that I use as a cleanup if needed, but since using Bitdefender AV plus I haven't needed to use it at all.
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:57:53 AM
We need someone to come in who has (and likes) Kaspersky so I can spend several days incapable of making a decision.
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 12:07:58 PM
Colorwash wrote:
We need someone to come in who has (and likes) Kaspersky so I can spend several days incapable of making a decision.

LOL~ or another BD supporter to totally win your over to our side... Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 12:49:42 PM
I'm so tired of making decisions. Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:49:28 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I'm so tired of making decisions. Laughing

sounds like you need Bitdefender autopilot! hintHappy

no I am not an affiliate... Stick out tongue
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:56:33 AM
The decision train is stuck in the middle of the track, though I'm wondering if maybe a lot of people don't use Kaspersky because they never heard of it.

Anyone thinking of using Avast, by the way, should think again, and if you've used it for a number of years, be aware that it's not what it used to be. It's gotten so bloated that it wanders where it shouldn't go, and it can cause truly bad errors that aren't caused by your OS or hardware.
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 7:43:51 AM
Wow! I didn't realize Avast had changed so much, it had become my favorite. It's been a while though because I switched from windows to Ubuntu and haven't had to mess with antivirus software or blue screens or all the other problems that kept me fixing windows more than working on designs Smile
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:09:56 AM
Avast reminds me of Norton Antivirus, which turned into Jabba the Hutt, users vacating the premises in droves.

McAfee caused my computer to crash disastrously some years ago, and now I don't care how much polish they may have since given it. Once is more than enough.
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 9:22:53 AM
The antivirus that comes with Windows isn't good enough?
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:17:29 PM
waterart wrote:

unfortunately not, it is better than nothing, but can let malware slip through.

If you are only using Windows defender I recommend that you install the free version of MalWareBytes and do a weekly scan with it to find any threats that may have slipped past WD. MWB will quarantine them so they can't do damage and you can delete them from there.

If you don't want to worry about all that just get a subscription to Bitdefender and put it on autopilot. The free version of Bitdefender is pretty good too but I still used MWB as a backup then, now that I have the full paid version I never use my MWB anymore.
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:42:54 PM
The best antivirus software option imho is no antivirus software.

I stopped using antivirus software about eight years ago and I haven't had a virus since. I don't even use Windows Defender anymore because it slows down my machines.

I have Spybot Search and Destroy in case I get malware but haven't used it in years either. I use CCleaner, run Adblock, reject cookies (for the most part), avoid P2P and I stay off of sites that I don't trust.

I believe that viruses are created and deployed by the antivirus software companies. Follow the money.

Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:19:57 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
The best antivirus software option imho is no antivirus software.

I stopped using antivirus software about eight years ago and I haven't had a virus since. I don't even use Windows Defender anymore because it slows down my machines.

I have Spybot Search and Destroy in case I get malware but haven't used it in years either. I use CCleaner, run Adblock, reject cookies (for the most part), avoid P2P and I stay off of sites that I don't trust.

I believe that viruses are created and deployed by the antivirus software companies. Follow the money.

Interesting viewpoint and food for thought...
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:22:23 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
I stay off of sites that I don't trust.

Just wondering how you can tell which ones they are? I use Bitdefender traffic light.
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:45:34 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Jerry Lambert wrote:

Just wondering how you can tell which ones they are? I use Bitdefender traffic light.

I avoid clicking links to any site that is linked from an article as a "sponsored link" like Taboola or Outbrain or Zerg for example.

I avoid slideshows.

I avoid pirate sites.

I only stick to alt sites that I know and trust.

I don't click any link on Reddit.

I never allow location on sites that I am unfamiliar with.

I do not allow notifications of any kind on any site.

I avoid sites that use flash and have flash turned off in my browser.

I use Google Chrome and pay attention to the site information.

After 20 years on the internet I have narrowed down my traffic routes tremendously. I probably only frequent 20-30 sites on any given month.
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:01:07 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
Jerry Lambert wrote:

I avoid clicking links to any site that is linked from an article as a "sponsored link" like Taboola or Outbrain or Zerg for example.

I avoid slideshows.

I avoid pirate sites.

After 20 years on the internet I have narrowed down my traffic routes tremendously. I probably only frequent 20-30 sites on any given month.

you are super cautious! admirable!

I don't know if I have that kind of restraint, lol. Thanks for the answer!
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 3:27:25 PM
I just saw this topic and wanted to share that my son(he's my computer person) will only use Kaspersky. I don't know the reasons, but he says it's the best.
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 4:02:04 AM
Jozane House wrote:
I just saw this topic and wanted to share that my son(he's my computer person) will only use Kaspersky. I don't know the reasons, but he says it's the best.

That seems to be the conclusion of reviews too. Also my own son, by the way, but I'll go for second best if, as Shelli contends, it's easier to set up and use.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:13:03 AM
I use AVG and Spybot Search and destroy. Both are very simple and use up few resources. AVG has been a little naggy recently, but caution being the better part of valor, I also don't stray far on the interwebs too much garbage out there. Work, church, Zazzle is my motto.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:35:36 AM
Softproduct wrote:
I use AVG and Spybot Search and destroy. Both are very simple and use up few resources. AVG has been a little naggy recently, but caution being the better part of valor, I also don't stray far on the interwebs too much garbage out there. Work, church, Zazzle is my motto.

That's how Avast used to be--simple, it stuck to its job, and only did a popup if trouble occurred.

I still haven't switched to one of my two top choices, mostly because it's a pain having to get rid of Avast because it requires a special tool to wipe it out. Insidious little bugger.

By the way, I'm like you. I do very little wandering. It's mostly junk out there anyway.
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 4:46:16 PM
waterart wrote:

If you are only using Windows defender I recommend that you install the free version of MalWareBytes and do a weekly scan with it to find any threats that may have slipped past WD. MWB will quarantine them so they can't do damage and you can delete them from there.

I downloaded mwb today and did a scan, the only thing it found was 4 Amazon PUP files. Not bad for the 5 years I've had the laptop with only windows defender. I'd say the best anti-virus is to be careful about what you do and go while online.
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 7:26:25 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Softproduct wrote:

That's how Avast used to be--simple, it stuck to its job, and only did a popup if trouble occurred.

I still haven't switched to one of my two top choices, mostly because it's a pain having to get rid of Avast because it requires a special tool to wipe it out. Insidious little bugger.

By the way, I'm like you. I do very little wandering. It's mostly junk out there anyway.

I got caught by this Avast invasion and even my 'puter guru didn't believe me when I told him the update had done this to me. Worked out okay because he caught that my HD was clicking badly and about to fail. I had a replacement at home so once I retrieved that he cloned my OP system and the internet worked in his shop but I got home and no internet so I buckled down and went through Avast with a keen eye. In the upper right corner is a menu and when I opened that I clicked settings and found a whole slew of installed components. I uninstalled the software updated, originally turned off years ago and also the Wi-Fi Inspector, duhhhhhhh, I have satellite not Wi-Fi, and everything has worked fine since.

I need to say thank you to whoever started this topic because of it I was forewarned.

Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 9:42:28 PM
waterart wrote:
waterart wrote:

I downloaded mwb today and did a scan, the only thing it found was 4 Amazon PUP files. Not bad for the 5 years I've had the laptop with only windows defender. I'd say the best anti-virus is to be careful about what you do and go while online.

That is good and now you have MWB for cleanup if needed.

I try to be careful about where I surf but even sites you think would be safe have been sketchy for me.

For instance I was looking for the lyrics to some old Church hymns and Bitdefender blocked a few of those connections that were suspicious.

Once I was researching seeds for my garden and got caught in one of those fake virus warning screens that won't let you out and try to get you to call a number to get tech help removing your "virus". Had to use CTR+ALT+DEL to get out of that one.

And some websites have "midi files" that download to your hard drive as soon as you arrive on the site... why? might be just music or might be something else in there too...

Bitdefender free never flagged a lot of this stuff but the paid version blocks it all.
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 5:24:07 AM
Yes, Shelli, even sites you think you can trust can be untrustworthy. I picked up a problem on the Food Network site because I trusted it would be okay and turned off my ad blocker. Too bad they don't vet their ads. One of them was malicious and I ended up having to Ctrl-Alt-Del my way out, then I had to deal with the fallout from it. There's only one site for which I have the ad blocker turned off--Zazzle--and if they ever take in outside ads, I'll be gone in a shot.
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2018 8:06:00 AM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
Jerry Lambert wrote:

I avoid slideshows.

I avoid pirate sites.

Ding! Ding! Ding! You are correct.