Adobe Reader is dead to me
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:18:10 AM
It began with a little popup one or two times a day saying that Reader couldn't update itself. It went on for months, and I didn't care because it didn't affect my ability to view PDF's with my version of Reader.

I decided to investigate the error this morning. The problem is widespread enough that Adobe has a whole page dedicated to it. They said to completely uninstall Reader and then download the newest. Seemed logical, so I did it. Result: It couldn't install and I had no PDF viewer other than the weak one included in Chrome. I dug further and discovered I needed to update "Universal C Runtime" in Windows. Microsoft's link to do so led to "page not found."

Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway: I was fuming.

Solution: After researching the alternatives, I downloaded and installed Foxit Reader. It works perfectly, and it has this nice little benefit where I can grab any file on my computer and instantly turn it into a PDF.

Go to hell, Adobe! Laughing
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:27:43 AM
Laughing Laughing Laughing
You seriously made me laugh out loud this morning! Thanks and glad you found something better!
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:29:41 AM
Adobe's Acrobat Reader has become annoying and slow as hell. And I can't stand Adobe's subscription-only strategy. One more reason to stick with good old Corel, always offered the same functionality (in some aspects better, in some a bit less) at a way more reasonable price and with a great package policy (you buy 1 and get all you need). It's the politically incorrect choice in graphic design, as having a pc instead of an overpriced bitten apple, but in the end, only the results matter, not cosmetics and religious fanatism. With my best regards to all Apple and Adobe addicted disciples out there ;-)

Oh, and thanks for the hint, will try it out Smile
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:18:08 AM
Malissa, your attitude is apparently like mine, which is to just laugh it off and move on.

PetsDreamlands, I won't soon forget Corel's ads immediately after Adobe went to the subscription model. They promised everyone they'd never do any such thing, and that single promise earned them many refugees from Adobe.
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:44:13 AM
Colorwash wrote:
PetsDreamlands, I won't soon forget Corel's ads immediately after Adobe went to the subscription model. They promised everyone they'd never do any such thing, and that single promise earned them many refugees from Adobe.

Corel actually offers both, what is clever for their business and fair for their users at the same time. Not to mention, the sales price of Corel Draw's newest suite is more than fair for what the package offers. Night and day compared to Adobe. Just my 2c.

Adobe lost me also in stock photography. I was a longterm Fotolia customer and spent thousands for own and customers' imagery, then Adobe bought it and put their pricing policy on them. While you can still buy single credits (it's pretty hidden, though, so less nosy customers may opt for their subscription models), you have now only 1 higher-priced option for the largest image size instead of a wider choice depending on the image's resolution, plus the minimum credit quantity you can buy is 5 credits at around 50$ and the extended licenses are around 80$ each (all plus VAT and/or sales taxes). So I switched to 123rf (which lost to Fotolia in the past) where you still have size-based price options (I don't need expensive 7k high-res images for a website, which I can serve with affordable web resolutions), where an extended license costs you 50$ and where you can buy even single credits. That's how you lose and gain customers.
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:29:21 PM
lol! Laughing
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 2:01:00 PM
Google Chrome has a built in PDF reader if it is enabled. That is all I have used for years to read PDF files and I have never had an issue.

To make sure it is enabled, do the following:
Click Settings in Chrome from the drop down.
At the bottom, click Advanced.
Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
Near the bottom, click PDF documents.
Where it says "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome" make sure it is unticked.
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 3:56:09 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:

Corel actually offers both, what is clever for their business and fair for their users at the same time. Not to mention, the sales price of Corel Draw's newest suite is more than fair for what the package offers. Night and day compared to Adobe. Just my 2c.

I currently use Adobe Illustrator but have been thinking about CorelDraw precisely because they let you choose subscription vs one-off purchase. I noticed it also has raster capabilities (suite). In your opinion, is it like a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator? (I have both). Because if it could replace both of them, that would be great.

Photoshop and Illustrator are quality software but subscription (to both!) is expensive. If a single program could replace them both then wow!
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:29:21 PM
The day I read Adobe's new pricing policy on their graphics program I killed all Adobe products and have used Foxit Reader ever since. It has all the functions I need or want and isn't a resource HOG.

Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:58:43 PM
I also am giving Adobe a huge miss...since being unable to make the version of illustrator that I bought, work, I ditched it and went back to inkscape. not only is it superior anyway, I can still open and edit .ai files, and even change the file to .ai again if I want.
I use ice cream PDF editor now for PDFs. works well..
so Adobe has out priced itself, is difficult to learn and I am surprised anyone is still using it given the monthly (no other option) fee now.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 5:24:00 AM
Jerry wrote:
Google Chrome has a built in PDF reader if it is enabled.

I use Firefox, and apparently it's not an opt-in choice. It's just there.

However, I use a PDF reader for personal work, converting my own stuff to PDF, so I need reader software on my computer.

Quote:
so Adobe has out priced itself, is difficult to learn and I am surprised anyone is still using it given the monthly (no other option) fee now.

Many of us old-time Photoshop users simply stayed with the version we had. I stayed with CS3, but I think most stayed with CS6. There's been no reason to go with anything else. However, the person who's new to image editing has a lot of great choices and doesn't have to pay the beast.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 6:05:46 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:

I currently use Adobe Illustrator but have been thinking about CorelDraw precisely because they let you choose subscription vs one-off purchase. I noticed it also has raster capabilities (suite). In your opinion, is it like a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator? (I have both). Because if it could replace both of them, that would be great.

Photoshop and Illustrator are quality software but subscription (to both!) is expensive. If a single program could replace them both then wow!

Corel Suite comes with Corel Draw, what is Illustrator's equivalent, and Photopaint, what is Photoshop's competitor (plus other stuff, but these 2 are what you need and want). Both are professional software and practically the same level. Corel is better in some things, Adobe in other ones. Corel Photopaint lacks a bit in plugins, compared to PS, but it seems, the new versions offer a pretty good PS compatibility, included handling of PSD files.

As i know, Corel's actual suite (2019 I think) is around 16 or 17$ per month on subscription and costs around 600$ for a full license when bought (US), but you'll find predecessor versions for little cash everywhere.

Corel is a professional graphic and image editing software, so you need time to master it and it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. And it lasts forever. I'm still using the X3 (13) version here, which came out back in 2006 and is still working fine (on Win 10). Will update to 2019 as soon as I can gift myself a new gaming pc. My actual one is pretty aged, too, and it makes no sense to update Corel right now.

Hope that helped.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 6:23:44 AM
That is good information. Thank you. It's especially good to hear that it can open PSD files. I wouldn't trade it for Adobe if it meant I could no longer access those files. I went to their website and they are compatible with Illustrator files too. Definately a plus. And they do have allow a trial so that seems like I should check it out. Thanks.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 7:28:33 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
That is good information. Thank you. It's especially good to hear that it can open PSD files. I wouldn't trade it for Adobe if it meant I could no longer access those files. I went to their website and they are compatible with Illustrator files too. Definately a plus. And they do have allow a trial so that seems like I should check it out. Thanks.

You're welcome. Corel was always way ahead of Adobe in terms of compatibility, and at the beginning (the 90s) also in functionality. Even with my old version I'm capable to open at least 3/4 of the PSD you find for download, and yes, it supports also ai format. Adobe won the race only because they were leader on Macs, what were designers' favorite computers, and Corel completely missed the occasion and was a complete failure on Macs.

If you consider to switch, be aware, though, that Photoshop and Illustrator still ARE the most used applications, what means, more plugins and tutorials. For the rest, you get high end software with both brands.

Before you buy on Corel's site, I suggest to check the prices of third-party vendors, e.g. on Amazon or software stores, you could save some money. Or wait for sales on Corel's site, in the US they offer discounts pretty often.

Alternatively, you can check how much an upgrade from older versions costs, that's usually basically half the regular price. Check out what minimal version is requested to be able to buy an upgrade and then try to find a cheap old original version on Ebay or Amazon first, which allows you to get the cheaper upgrade. That way you may spend maybe 50 bucks for that old version and save 300$ for buying the upgrade instead of the full version. I only bought my first version (3) at full price, then only spent cash for upgrades every other version (except the one I'm using now for 14 years).

And yes, get the trial first, to make sure, you feel comfortable. Make also sure you get the trial when you have enough time to really test it out, 30 days are gone pretty fast.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 4:07:37 PM
I haven't used adobe reader in years. I read pdfs in firefox and I make them with libre office.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 12:06:49 AM
A great thread, CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5 ( Education Edition) DVD was a godsend until it faded after years of incredible results especially from Corel Paint its twin ! Computer changes re DVDs have not helped! Too late to upgrade to current CD Graphics Suite now! Ebay purchase last year was a disaster,albeit low price wonder why? Partner still looks on Ebay for CorelDraw Graphic Suite specials. Me, No not again $600 plus is what I have to pay for this graphic program! You do get what you pay for!! Jilly
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 4:11:10 AM
orientcourt wrote:
A great thread, CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5 ( Education Edition) DVD was a godsend until it faded after years of incredible results especially from Corel Paint its twin ! Computer changes re DVDs have not helped! Too late to upgrade to current CD Graphics Suite now! Ebay purchase last year was a disaster,albeit low price wonder why? Partner still looks on Ebay for CorelDraw Graphic Suite specials. Me, No not again $600 plus is what I have to pay for this graphic program! You do get what you pay for!! Jilly

As for buying on eBay, we have to be incredibly careful making purchases there. I needed to upgrade my version of MS Word, mine being Word 2000, and I needed at least version 2010. Prices on eBay were all over the place until I figured out that people were selling "cracks," giving you the download links to the software and then selling you the crack code. Just to test my theory, I wrote to one of the sellers asking how they were getting the registration codes from Microsoft. I didn't out-and-out accuse them of anything, instead sounding simply curious about the process. I got email back from eBay saying there was something wrong with the seller's email. LOL Anyway, I found a legitimate seller of software still in its package, bought, and was rewarded with precisely what I needed. Be very, very careful on eBay.

Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 5:30:58 AM
Colorwash wrote:
orientcourt wrote:

As for buying on eBay, we have to be incredibly careful making purchases there. I needed to upgrade my version of MS Word, mine being Word 2000, and I needed at least version 2010. Prices on eBay were all over the place until I figured out that people were selling "cracks," giving you the download links to the software and then selling you the crack code. Just to test my theory, I wrote to one of the sellers asking how they were getting the registration codes from Microsoft. I didn't out-and-out accuse them of anything, instead sounding simply curious about the process. I got email back from eBay saying there was something wrong with the seller's email. LOL Anyway, I found a legitimate seller of software still in its package, bought, and was rewarded with precisely what I needed. Be very, very careful on eBay.

As an eBay seller, a few tips on how not to get ripped off.

Check the seller’s feedback!! and look at their profile to see if they are top rated or not. (some top rated sellers like myself do not have the yellow badge because we can’t offer free shipping)

Contact them to ask questions before you buy.

Look at the photos and if needed request more.

Avoid sellers who don’t/won’t provide detailed photographs of the item they are selling (including flaws) or who only use stock images.

Read the fine print... where is the seller shipping from? How long is their handling time?

When all else fails use eBay guarantee to return and get a refund. Even sellers who say no returns have to issue refunds in certain circumstances as per eBay policy.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 8:18:55 AM
Shelli, you've listed pretty much everything I did, and you're absolutely correct. It's the way to keep from being ripped off. The lowest thing on the list for me is the star-rating system. I suspect it's a system that could be gamed, given that it is elsewhere, though I don't know how eBay handles it. Do they have safeguards against it?
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 9:03:10 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Shelli, you've listed pretty much everything I did, and you're absolutely correct. It's the way to keep from being ripped off. The lowest thing on the list for me is the star-rating system. I suspect it's a system that could be gamed, given that it is elsewhere, though I don't know how eBay handles it. Do they have safeguards against it?

Feedback is your friend.

there is no way for a seller to game it that I can see.

And neutral or negative feedback can cripple a seller.

So my advice is if you see a seller with negative feedback first read it to see if it sounds legitimate and not just like a grudge and if they sound sketchy move on.

Also if you are thinking about leaving negative feedback for a seller please make sure that they actually deserve it since it doesn't take much of it to put them out of business.

Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 10:32:47 AM
🌼Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Also if you are thinking about leaving negative feedback for a seller please make sure that they actually deserve it since it doesn't take much of it to put them out of business.

I've seen bad reviews where the customer has obviously been rude, causing the seller to lose his/her cool. In my mind, I delete the review and look at the others, but I don't know how many people know to do this.

My son sells a certain amount on eBay, and he's always polite and informative with his customers...and honest. No doubt just like you, Shelli. But one of the things that can make it difficult for sellers like you and my son are the other type of seller such as the ones I spotted when looking to upgrade Microsoft Office. Quite a crew when it comes to software.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 10:44:48 AM
I rarely buy on Ebay, except I'm searching for something special you don't get anymore, e.g. old model trains of a specific brand, collection stuff and such. For purchases of real stuff I prefer first regular vendor websites and after that, Amazon. In any case, I take care, the sellers on Amazon and Ebay look credible and serious and have a decent website whenever possible. The reviews, it depends, I use to read the comments and sort out the silly or assumingly fake ones. I've bought expensive goods even on 3-star stores without any problems. It's like on Zazzle, you have so many stupid bad reviews based on nonsense, that you can't only rely on the stars, especially if the number of reviews is lower.

In the case of buying older official software, always opt for original boxed versions whenever available, especially if you need the registration code for upgrades. Older versions are usually sold at huge sales after a new one comes out. Downloads only on trusted sites.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 10:51:37 AM
There are "regular" stores selling on eBay. For instance, I got my Epson scanner from Epson on eBay where they were selling "refurbished" scanners, which only means the scanner was returned, checked over, and then sold to me at half price. I've now had it for years. I've also bought Olympus camera accessories from Olympus on eBay. So, PetsDreamlands, if you prefer established vendors, you can find them on eBay too.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 11:23:58 AM
Colorwash wrote:
There are "regular" stores selling on eBay. For instance, I got my Epson scanner from Epson on eBay where they were selling "refurbished" scanners, which only means the scanner was returned, checked over, and then sold to me at half price. I've now had it for years. I've also bought Olympus camera accessories from Olympus on eBay. So, PetsDreamlands, if you prefer established vendors, you can find them on eBay too.

You're right on the established vendors on eBay, it's just, I use eBay more for private stuff. Actually working on a refurbished HP bought 2 years ago after my good old tower died. Didn't want to spend too much cash on a mediocre new system and actually saving for a high-end pc that does his job for the next 6-8 years again. I HATE changing computer and reinstall and reconfigure all the stuff I have on them.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 12:12:17 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
I HATE changing computer and reinstall and reconfigure all the stuff I have on them.

I live in fear of such things.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 1:22:34 PM
If you seek out the top sellers, with a feedback rate of 95-100% positive you can weed out alot of the bad eggs. There are a lot of honest sellers who provide outstanding customer service. in addition to selling on ebay we also buy a lot of stuff there. We've had some bad experiences but the good outweighs the bad.

ETA: a seller feedback is not the same as a star review of the item they are selling. The feedback on a seller is specifically about how they perform as a seller.

I sell vintage stuff so most of my stuff has no reviews.

Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 2:02:34 PM
Oddly, I've never noticed product reviews. Only seller ratings.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:13:34 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Oddly, I've never noticed product reviews. Only seller ratings.

I only noticed them because the beanie babies I sell sometimes have them.

I think it depends on what it is... or who knows?