W-8BEN form rejected yet again, UK resident
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 4:33:54 AM
Hi all

I was hoping someone could help me out with some advice please?

I've had my tax form (I'm a UK citizen) rejected yet again by Zazzle. This time a standard reply with unhelpful links claiming I haven't filled out part 2 correctly.

I followed Louie Gee's helpful advice in an older thread but Zazzle are still rejecting it, though I'm sure I've included all they need -

1) The relevant UK treaty section is 12/1, claiming the 0% witholding tax.
2) That I'm claiming royalties as a designer.
3) That I'm a UK resident paying tax in the UK.

Every reply from customer service claims a different thing is wrong each time. Any suggestions on the wording would be most welcome. I'll try and include a screen grab of that part of my form.

Many thanks in advance for your replies. This is really frustrating.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17lTyZ3zLbFpB5-O_leWYFeEZQgIdGwTR
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 7:16:05 PM
You need to state that they are copyright royalties for artwork
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 3:54:11 AM
Thanks for the reply, Waterart.

I worded that section (after stating I qualified under section 12/1 for 0% tax witholding) as "royalties for artistic works" which I hoped would cover it. Then put "beneficial owner is resident in the UK and pays tax in the UK" for section below that asks you to explain the additional conditions as to why you qualify for the 0% withholding rate.

Should I have elaborated there maybe?
I really don't get what else I could say to be clearer to them.
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 12:59:26 PM
I'm not sure, I'm in Canada and the "reason" a beneficial owner meets the terms depends on the country you are in. You do however need to state "copyright royalties" in type of income. When giving your "reason" for meeting the terms add that the royalties are for the use of artistic work.

The new forms require a paragraph reference number in addition to the article number. I think it's 1 for the UK (got the info from http://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/about/taxforms.html)

Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:35:05 AM
Thanks Waterart.
I'll try some re-wording on the reasons etc and see how that works.
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 6:33:56 PM
So... the ITIN is actually NOT required? Because that's one heck of an annoying form that I thought had to be dealt with first. I am in Canada, I can just download and submit the most recent W8-BEN and be ok?