W8-BEN and withholding tax
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 7:18:46 AM
By most people standards I'm fairly new to Zazzle. I've spent an enormous amount of time getting to know the platform first because I like to do things right. I've submitted my W8-BEN last year November, was notified that Zazzle received it and that it will be processed in due time. No problem, I understand due process.
In December I made my first sale and was elated because I've spent lots of time on my designs but haven't started marketing them yet.
In February when my payment was released it was $19 short.
At first I was told that Zazzle made the full payment and only after sending in a copy of my Paypal payments received would they acknowledge that the payment was $19 less than the full total.
Then I was told this is the 30% withholding tax. After stating that I've completed and sent in my W8-BEN in November 2017 and that I've received acknowledgement of receipt and that accordingly I qualify for a 0% withholding rate there was complete silence. No reply.
I've sent in another email trying to find out what was going on. This time I was told that my address on Zazzle was not the same as the one listed on the W8-BEN. Not true. Zazzle has place to list one address and the W8-BEN has place for both a postal and physical address. So the address is the same, the W8-BEN just has an extra address.
I'm in South Africa, and when I completed my form I made sure that I had all the correct info (section, paragraph)etc filled in stating that according to the tax agreement between the US and South Africa I qualify for zero percent withholding tax as I'm a registered taxpayer in South Africa.
I'm getting nothing from Zazzle and don't know what to do anymore. I love the platform but would have to be stupid to keep wasting my time here if Zazzle is going to withhold 30% of my earnings just so that the South African government can take a futher 35-45% of what's left.
Please help. Does anyone have any advice?
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 7:30:00 AM
LilyUnlimited wrote:
By most people standards I'm fairly new to Zazzle. I've spent an enormous amount of time getting to know the platform first because I like to do things right. I've submitted my W8-BEN last year November, was notified that Zazzle received it and that it will be processed in due time. No problem, I understand due process.
In December I made my first sale and was elated because I've spent lots of time on my designs but haven't started marketing them yet.
In February when my payment was released it was $19 short.
At first I was told that Zazzle made the full payment and only after sending in a copy of my Paypal payments received would they acknowledge that the payment was $19 less than the full total.
Then I was told this is the 30% withholding tax. After stating that I've completed and sent in my W8-BEN in November 2017 and that I've received acknowledgement of receipt and that accordingly I qualify for a 0% withholding rate there was complete silence. No reply.
I've sent in another email trying to find out what was going on. This time I was told that my address on Zazzle was not the same as the one listed on the W8-BEN. Not true. Zazzle has place to list one address and the W8-BEN has place for both a postal and physical address. So the address is the same, the W8-BEN just has an extra address.
I'm in South Africa, and when I completed my form I made sure that I had all the correct info (section, paragraph)etc filled in stating that according to the tax agreement between the US and South Africa I qualify for zero percent withholding tax as I'm a registered taxpayer in South Africa.
I'm getting nothing from Zazzle and don't know what to do anymore. I love the platform but would have to be stupid to keep wasting my time here if Zazzle is going to withhold 30% of my earnings just so that the South African government can take a futher 35-45% of what's left.
Please help. Does anyone have any advice?

Yes.

Go to this forum and do some reading. This is the forum for non-US, and there are a LOT of threads regarding the W8Ben form.

https://forum.zazzle.com/intl

Good luck!
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 11:39:46 AM
I don't think that forum will be of much help to her, she already said that the form was filled out correctly and that Z accepted it and yet withheld the tax anyway. If there was something missing or wrong on the form Zazzle informs the person before processing it, at least that's my experience.
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 2:41:24 PM
Hey just going to move this to the international forum. I will pass this on to have it looked into as well Grin
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 6:35:04 AM
When I look at my payment history it even states the full amount cleared for payment to Paypal yet it was $19 short in my account
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 7:59:56 AM
Are you basing this on what was listed on the earnings summary page? If so, part of that amount may not.have cleared before January 1st. December 31st was the cut off date for cleared sales to be included in February payments.
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 8:01:14 AM
We actually got back to you via email regarding your form and resend an email too but have not had word from you since March. Shocked I'll resend the email once again privately, let's continue this discussion there. Smile
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 8:48:38 AM
I've responded to every mail I've received from Zazzle. I am the one who got no response to my last email in which I stated that the explanation I got was not satisfactory. But I'm very willing to continue this discussion per email. When I can I expect your email?
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 8:54:46 AM
Maz wrote:
Are you basing this on what was listed on the earnings summary page? If so, part of that amount may not.have cleared before January 1st. December 31st was the cut off date for cleared sales to be included in February payments.

This amount was from one sale, so it cleared at the same time. It cleared in January to be paid on the 15th of February. Only the amount shown as cleared to Paypal was not the amount paid out. When I first queried the payment I was told that I'm mistaken and the full amount had been paid. Only after I attached proof of payment did the story change to it being different because of withholding tax.
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 9:00:06 AM
I sent you an email about an hour ago now. Did you get it?
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 10:49:27 PM
For anybody wondering, I'm still waiting on a resolution even after being told that my W8BEN is perfect.