Please let us remove the gradient on the shop banner
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 6:57:43 AM
Our banners look so much cleaner and better without the gradient. Please give us the option to remove it from our shop's header.

I know Liz mentioned that the gradient exists to make our store name legible, but Facebook doesn't seem to have this problem:

https://www.facebook.com/avengers
https://www.facebook.com/Disney
https://www.facebook.com/QuirkBooks
https://www.facebook.com/zazzle

Just make the store name bolder and the text's shadow bigger, problem solved! Grin
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 8:19:17 AM
SSHappyStore wrote:
Our banners look so much cleaner and better without the gradient. Please give us the option to remove it from our shop's header.

I know Liz mentioned that the gradient exists to make our store name legible, but Facebook doesn't seem to have this problem:

https://www.facebook.com/avengers
https://www.facebook.com/Disney
https://www.facebook.com/QuirkBooks
https://www.facebook.com/zazzle

Just make the store name bolder and the text's shadow bigger, problem solved! Grin


this is a very popular request.

FB has the same gradient on profiles it would appear but not pages.
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 8:30:47 AM
Didn't google plus do the same thing? I understand the reason for it is so text generated by the website will be easy to read if the image is white or a light color. My work around for this is to either use a black background or create my image with it's own chosen color to black gradient. If you do it that way it will look more natural.
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 10:55:44 AM
I think the banner works poorly, regardless of the gradient.

My banner is pretty light, and as long as I'm forced to have the store name in white print, it forces me to redo the banner to make it much darker. The gradient makes white readable, but it doesn't look good. I think our heradings would look much smarter if the store name was printed on a one color field, leaving us to create the banner as we like.
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:43:06 PM
If Zazzle improves how our store name looks (like the FB pages I linked to in my original post), the store names would look good regardless of what banner image we use.
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 2:04:03 PM
I agree with removing the dark gradient. My banner is white and it just makes it look dirty.
OR..
maybe there could be a second option where there is a white gradient instead of black??
Idea
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 5:09:20 PM
I just realised we got the new banner look on the shops...I'm not liking the gradient either...also I had my resolution set to 300 when I made my new-ish banner in photoshop, but it looks so blurry Sad maybe need to play around with it a bit more to make it look better, any helpful hints would be nice, thanks
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 8:17:04 PM
Shadowind_ART wrote:
I just realised we got the new banner look on the shops...I'm not liking the gradient either...also I had my resolution set to 300 when I made my new-ish banner in photoshop, but it looks so blurry Sad maybe need to play around with it a bit more to make it look better, any helpful hints would be nice, thanks


Try 2280 x 630 at 72 dpi Smile
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 9:47:42 PM
SSHappyStore wrote:
Our banners look so much cleaner and better without the gradient. Please give us the option to remove it from our shop's header.


+1
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 3:51:39 AM
Perfect resolution for website graphics is 72 dpi, not 300. It also makes files smaller, meaning your store front will load faster.
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 3:55:24 AM
+1 on removing the gradient. It looks horrible
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 10:39:16 PM
KreaturShop wrote:
Perfect resolution for website graphics is 72 dpi, not 300. It also makes files smaller, meaning your store front will load faster.


Here is the way I've understood it for years... ppi doesn't make files bigger or smaller by itself. Pixel dimensions do, though. You can size work by pixel dimensions only or you can size it by inches and ppi combined. But a 3000 x 3000 pixel image is the same size whether it's 300 ppi or 72 ppi. Printing does depend on the ppi of the image, but loading a banner in your browser that is 2280 x 630 pixels will take the same amount of time to load whether it's made at 72 ppi or 300 ppi.

If you're in Photoshop and you go to change the image size, and you have the "resample" box checked, and you change the resolution (ppi), it will change the pixel dimensions of the file. If you un-check the "resample" box, it leaves the pixel dimensions alone. Any resampling results in change of information. I learned in a time when resampling was pretty primitive and I conditioned myself to never resample unless I was shrinking the pixel dimensions. Resample has improved a lot but it still changes your image information and I don't think that's reversible once you close the file and lose the undo ability.

Posted: Monday, September 14, 2015 4:44:34 AM
shotwellphoto wrote:
KreaturShop wrote:
Perfect resolution for website graphics is 72 dpi, not 300. It also makes files smaller, meaning your store front will load faster.


Here is the way I've understood it for years... ppi doesn't make files bigger or smaller by itself. Pixel dimensions do, though. You can size work by pixel dimensions only or you can size it by inches and ppi combined. But a 3000 x 3000 pixel image is the same size whether it's 300 ppi or 72 ppi. Printing does depend on the ppi of the image, but loading a banner in your browser that is 2280 x 630 pixels will take the same amount of time to load whether it's made at 72 ppi or 300 ppi.

If you're in Photoshop and you go to change the image size, and you have the "resample" box checked, and you change the resolution (ppi), it will change the pixel dimensions of the file. If you un-check the "resample" box, it leaves the pixel dimensions alone. Any resampling results in change of information. I learned in a time when resampling was pretty primitive and I conditioned myself to never resample unless I was shrinking the pixel dimensions. Resample has improved a lot but it still changes your image information and I don't think that's reversible once you close the file and lose the undo ability.


Perfect information. I learned the same things many years ago, hard-wiring it into my head by checking various scenarios to see what would happen.

I never bother changing my original 300 ppi to 72 ppi for web graphics because there's no change whatsoever in file size. It's an extra step without purpose.
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 1:32:48 PM
Hello,

I think it's very important to make a good first impression for a customer visiting a Zazzle store page. Right now the store banner looks crowded, disorganized, and misplaced because of the overall design. (Especially on a smart phone mobile device view.) I have outlined the store banner issues in detail as well as possible solutions in this post.

I would like the gradient to be removed from my store banner. The gradient interferes with the image on my banner and it doesn't give the image a 'clean' look.

I also noticed in mobile view that my store icon, store name, text, and follow button interfere even more with the header banner. It looks crowded, disorganized, and misplaced.

To solve this problem, the website designer could create a solid color background bar for the store icon, title, text and follow button to be displayed on. The header image banner could then be on top of this store title bar.

Thanks for your help,

Samantha

Here is my store banner in mobile view:



Here is my store banner in desktop view:

Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 8:16:35 PM
+1 on removing the gradient and improving the look of our store banners.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded