Contests and Giveaways - Z Gift cert? Or..Product or Bad idea?
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 6:18:44 AM
Hi,
I eventually will be doing some marketing of my Z store.

Has anyone tried contests and giveaways?

If so... Wondering "what" to give away.

Any experiences in this approach ?

I have many logistics to figure out if it is a proven method by shop owners.

Just gathering info from the seasoned Z marketers Smile
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 8:57:16 AM
I've had other businesses as well as my Zazzle thing, and generally speaking, giveaways only work to sign up people who want something free, then they disappear forever. If you've got followers on your current range of FB, Twitter, etc. who are actually participating - meaning, they leave comments, they heart you and so on - then those are the people deserving of free merchandise, not the slugs who don't participate.

What you need is validate participation from the audiences you have, and if you have the time, you can see how many people actually want to participate by including some articles, questions, polls, etc. related to your new-age focus, or even random info like what's the meaning of blue, here's some blue products, or what's your favorite color and why.

Part of the problem of trying to market a store that has "something for everyone" is that you don't have enough of any one thing to market to individual target groups - example, you have a few wedding things, a few business cards, a few travel things, but not a lot in each category to choose from. This is like going into a retail outlet and finding they only have 2 different vases, and neither one is quite what you wanted.

So marketing at this point - absolutely! - but giveaways, nope.
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 10:40:05 AM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
Hi,
I eventually will be doing some marketing of my Z store.

Has anyone tried contests and giveaways?

If so... Wondering "what" to give away.

Any experiences in this approach ?

I have many logistics to figure out if it is a proven method by shop owners.

Just gathering info from the seasoned Z marketers Smile


If I were to do a giveaway, id center it around an item or a selection of items.

For example, if I just made a design on a shirt that I was super excited about, I would perhaps do a giveaway for that exact design on a shirt.

If I just did a big update and introduced a new product, say a tote bag, I would select a few different designs for the winner to chose from.
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 3:13:37 PM
chefcateringbizcards wrote:
I've had other businesses as well as my Zazzle thing, and generally speaking, giveaways only work to sign up people who want something free, then they disappear forever. If you've got followers on your current range of FB, Twitter, etc. who are actually participating - meaning, they leave comments, they heart you and so on - then those are the people deserving of free merchandise, not the slugs who don't participate.

What you need is validate participation from the audiences you have, and if you have the time, you can see how many people actually want to participate by including some articles, questions, polls, etc. related to your new-age focus, or even random info like what's the meaning of blue, here's some blue products, or what's your favorite color and why.

Part of the problem of trying to market a store that has "something for everyone" is that you don't have enough of any one thing to market to individual target groups - example, you have a few wedding things, a few business cards, a few travel things, but not a lot in each category to choose from. This is like going into a retail outlet and finding they only have 2 different vases, and neither one is quite what you wanted.

So marketing at this point - absolutely! - but giveaways, nope.


Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom.
I know...my store is still tiny. I was just looking ahead. Right now..my strongest representations are new age business cards.
I don't know what percent..but maybe 50% of about 1k biz cards are new age.

I still consider myself a newbie...plus I get bored real fast.
I will try to stick to paper goods...although it seems that paper is probably as full up as phone cases and leggings.

You are right about the freebie takers. I do have a FB biz page but organic engagement is gone.
Twitter...not excited about. My images seem to vanish after a while.
Pinterest...Yes. I did make some sales there. FB Pinterest groups are in a panic. It seems like it is going the way of all of them...free at the beginning...but pay to be seen later.

Instagram....noy on it yet.

I am presently working on a site hoping to drive traffic to my Z store and maybe make some refs too!

It seems that as long as there is a 3rd party involved...you are at their mercy. My big goal is to grow an email list....but yes...qualified leads rather than slugs.

My little email list has about a 20-25% open rate. I guess that is considered normal for email engagement.
I will weed them out soon from my autoresponder.
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 3:16:25 PM
The_Simple_Succulent wrote:
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
Hi,
I eventually will be doing some marketing of my Z store.

Has anyone tried contests and giveaways?

If so... Wondering "what" to give away.

Any experiences in this approach ?

I have many logistics to figure out if it is a proven method by shop owners.

Just gathering info from the seasoned Z marketers Smile


If I were to do a giveaway, id center it around an item or a selection of items.

For example, if I just made a design on a shirt that I was super excited about, I would perhaps do a giveaway for that exact design on a shirt.

If I just did a big update and introduced a new product, say a tote bag, I would select a few different designs for the winner to chose from.


Thank you for your thoughts. A tote is about as expensive as I would want to get. I know my store is still an infant...but I like to think about future forms of marketing. The goal would be to bride them to optin to my list.
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 4:15:17 PM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
The_Simple_Succulent wrote:
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
Hi,
I eventually will be doing some marketing of my Z store.

Has anyone tried contests and giveaways?

If so... Wondering "what" to give away.

Any experiences in this approach ?

I have many logistics to figure out if it is a proven method by shop owners.

Just gathering info from the seasoned Z marketers Smile


If I were to do a giveaway, id center it around an item or a selection of items.

For example, if I just made a design on a shirt that I was super excited about, I would perhaps do a giveaway for that exact design on a shirt.

If I just did a big update and introduced a new product, say a tote bag, I would select a few different designs for the winner to chose from.


Thank you for your thoughts. A tote is about as expensive as I would want to get. I know my store is still an infant...but I like to think about future forms of marketing. The goal would be to bride them to optin to my list.


yeah, the tote was just an example lol. You can apply the same idea with a button, note cards, etc. for something more affordable (you can also time giveaways with sales so that you spend less on bigger items too). Good luck! Love
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 11:04:06 AM
If you do go the giveaway route, I would advise against giving people a Z gift certificate, as you mentioned. They could spend it in anyone's store, which really wouldn't benefit you any.
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:49:33 PM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
If you do go the giveaway route, I would advise against giving people a Z gift certificate, as you mentioned. They could spend it in anyone's store, which really wouldn't benefit you any.


My plan would involve somehow collecting email addresses because that is the only thing we really own vs. social media strides which are erased by algorithm changes which mean buying ads to been again.

I am not ready to do such a thing...but I would love to find a way to grow an email list.
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 2:24:27 PM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:


My plan would involve somehow collecting email addresses because that is the only thing we really own vs. social media strides which are erased by algorithm changes which mean buying ads to been again.

I am not ready to do such a thing...but I would love to find a way to grow an email list.


I have a huge mailing list of both email addresses and physical home addresses. You can add a "subscribe" button on your website if you don't have one already. (Or were you asking how to get subscribers in the first place?) For the physical addresses, what I did for years was send anyone who asked a postcard on their (or their dog's) birthday. Some time later I asked if anyone wanted to be on a list to get random (dog) postcards throughout the year. Those same people would also get a Christmas card. I got away from that because my list got too large and with postage and all it was quite expensive. I guess my point is if you think about it I bet you can come up with ways to get addresses.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded