Zazzle's Description for Afridrilles on Product Page ???
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 5:58:20 PM
The "Customize Yours Today" link at zazzle.com/heart also leads to the NON customizable Afridrilles in the marketplace.

Only the liner is customizable which is not obvious because its not very visible. The description on the product page also states:

"The Afridrille is fully customizable. Each customer can create a unique shoe that fits their own personal style by selecting the color of the canvas, the style, and color of print, and the inner kanga lining."

That statement is not true, since only the linings can be customized. Due to the fact that this can be seen while log out it looks very strange. Zazzle's description in the public view should be written for the customers and should be clear and make sense.

Here is an example:

Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 6:27:02 PM
AfriCreations wrote:
The "Customize Yours Today" link at zazzle.com/heart also leads to the NON customizable Afridrilles in the marketplace.

Only the liner is customizable which is not obvious because its not very visible. The description on the product page also states:

"The Afridrille is fully customizable. Each customer can create a unique shoe that fits their own personal style by selecting the color of the canvas, the style, and color of print, and the inner kanga lining."

That statement is not true, since only the linings can be customized. Due to the fact that this can be seen while log out it looks very strange. Zazzle's description should be written for the customers and should be clear and make sense.

Your example notwithstanding, the statement is true if the customer designs their own, and when a designer offers a design that includes transparency and if they don't restrict the customers ability to do so on the 'post for sale' page. I have a design that illustrates this:

Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 6:31:37 PM
Now, having said the above, I do agree it's confusing when product offerings are included where the customer can't change the canvas color, liner, and/or style. But I doubt the afridrilles are the only example of this on the site.
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 6:37:23 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Now, having said the above, I do agree it's confusing when product offerings are included where the customer can't change the canvas color, liner, and/or style. But I doubt the afridrilles are the only example of this on the site.

The Afridrilles are the only product designers had to make non customizable. There is a difference. There will be a LOT of shoes that fit the point I am making.
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 7:04:05 PM
AfriCreations wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

The Afridrilles are the only product designers had to make non customizable.

Which has nothing at all to do with the customer being able to change the canvas color, liner, and/or style - those are all available to the customer on the product page unless the designer turns them off using the restrictions drop-down on the post-for-sale page.

Turning off customization only prevents them from modifying the design in the design tool.

AfriCreations wrote:
There will be a LOT of shoes that fit the point I am making.

I agree that there will be. Still doesn't falsify Zazzle's statement, which says "each customer can create a unique shoe" - and indeed they can, no designers needed. Um, strike that. These aren't a DIY product.

Zazzle seems to be really pushing the DIY aspect to customers of late. Personally, I wish the DIY side of things was separate from designer offerings, but that would mean overhauling the site, and maybe Zazzle doesn't think that would be the best way to serve customers' needs.
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 7:24:35 PM
Zazzle already have create your own in more than one section of the site. Customers shouldn't be confused or misled when they see an already designed product. If its that difficult to separate the two, the fix is actually pretty easy by changing the wording in the description and using words such as "some" and not use words like "fully" or any wording that imply "all," unless it actually applies to all of the shoes or shoe designs.
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 7:39:52 PM
I'm actually more confused by the "Mix & Match to Customize Your Perfect Pair" on this page: https://www.zazzle.com/heart

Well, not so much confused, as totally baffled. I don't get it.
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 7:44:24 PM
Are there any shoes at the "Customize Yours Today" link that aren't customizable in some way?

I agree about them saying 'fully customizable', when most of what they're showing on that page, isn't.

It's very mixed messaging for them on the one hand to talk about customers being able to create, only just remembering now that these aren't even a DIY product!
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 7:50:33 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
I'm actually more confused by the "Mix & Match to Customize Your Perfect Pair" on this page: https://www.zazzle.com/heart

It seems like the description is left over from the days before they opened it up to us to design them and I totally agree that now they need a new description written at the very least, as Delores said to not use all inclusive words.

before, the mix and match was you choose the canvas color, then you choose the pattern, then you choose the liner.

but not anymore...with designers disabling the customize button all you are guaranteed to be able to choose is the liner.

some you can choose the canvas color but none of the designer shoes can have the pattern chosen.

inaccuracies like that are every bit as likely to cause returns as the design placement is...
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 2:20:05 AM
Why does Zazzle make things unnecessarily confusing and misleading? One example is the wording used on the product page and another is the wording used in the search box on the homepage.

The description for the non customizable (or not fully customizable) Afridrilles should have been changed when that feature was changed. Changing wording (when appropriate), like fixing typos should be one of the easiest things to do when updating or changing a website. Otherwise it feels like something may be wrong with the website.
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 5:57:52 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
but not anymore...with designers disabling the customize button all you are guaranteed to be able to choose is the liner.

Hmm, I thought it was possible to disable changing of both the canvas color and the liner.

Like I said above, disabling customization on the post-for-sale page only applies to them not being able to change things in the design tool. Options on the product page are controlled through the drop-down where we typically restrict things to a specific shape, size, color, etc.
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 6:00:42 AM
AfriCreations wrote:
Why does Zazzle make things unnecessarily confusing and misleading? One example is the wording used on the product page and another is the wording used in the search box on the homepage.

The description for the non customizable (or not fully customizable) Afridrilles should have been changed when that feature was changed. Changing wording (when appropriate), like fixing typos should be one of the easiest things to do when updating or changing a website. Otherwise it feels like something may be wrong with the website.

I don't know about "easiest", but definitely necessary. Things that are wrong, confusing, or misleading hurt all of us. Zazzle should do better, and I'd like to believe they're capable of doing better.
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 6:20:03 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

Hmm, I thought it was possible to disable changing of both the canvas color and the liner.

Like I said above, disabling customization on the post-for-sale page only applies to them not being able to change things in the design tool. Options on the product page are controlled through the drop-down where we typically restrict things to a specific shape, size, color, etc.

If you have a design where the canvas color doesn't show through a transparency you can't tell it changed. So it in effect "disables" that option even thought the toggle switch still exists on the product page.
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 7:10:28 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

If you have a design where the canvas color doesn't show through a transparency you can't tell it changed. So it in effect "disables" that option even thought the toggle switch still exists on the product page.

That's a result of the design being opaque, not from turning off customization. In those cases, the designer should be choosing options from the restriction drop-down that prevent changing the canvas color.

It's a separate thing.
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 7:32:29 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

That's a result of the design being opaque, not from turning off customization. In those cases, the designer should be choosing options from the restriction drop-down that prevent changing the canvas color.

It's a separate thing.

I see what you mean. I did choose this canvas color only on designs like that.
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 10:05:19 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

Same!! To me that means you can buy a left shoe in one design and a right shoe in another - ya' know - mix & match your pair. Strongly agree that that is wording that needs to be changed.
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 11:21:10 AM
Col's Creations wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

Same!! To me that means you can buy a left shoe in one design and a right shoe in another - ya' know - mix & match your pair. Strongly agree that that is wording that needs to be changed.

That was exactly my same interpretation of "mix and match", and I couldn't find a way to do it. I understand better what it was meant to be about after reading what Shelli said above, but still - it's badly in need of an update.
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 2:39:09 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

you were right about this too, I wasn't Smile
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 5:30:20 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

I was right twice in one day? I guess that puts me in league with a broken clock. Grin
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 5:34:29 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

I was right twice in one day? I guess that puts me in league with a broken clock. Grin

lmao! Laughing
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 4:50:31 AM
With the colored circles added I see progress because now more choices are shown on the product pages that have them. So even if its just a different color choice for the design, it feels a bit more customizable. So it does feel like Zazzle is heading on the right track, at least for now. Time will tell. Smile
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 5:37:56 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

This is true in theory only. I tried setting the canvas color to "this color only," but on the product page, all the colors are still available. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with liner pattern/color.