Zazzlers and Amazon design theft 44 pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 11:58:51 AM
You must take seriously the effect that Amazon is having on our sales. The list of Amazon sellers using designs from the internet, including ours, is not negligible. My list of sellers using designs from internet sources, including ours, is now over 1.5 million products. No one can look through that many pages and send a few DMCAs. We need to come together and fight the internet thieves. Please join our facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/442213309304038
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 9:10:29 PM
I've resisted commenting on this, but now feel I must.

If the discussion about the out-of-control theft moves to Facebook, that creates potential problems:

1) Zazzle gets to ignore the problem because it's not in their face anymore on their own forum.

2) New members won't have a clue about this problem. Because if everyone takes the discussion to Facebook, the existing posts on the forum will become harder and harder to find due to inactivity.

3) People without Facebook accounts end up left out in the cold.

I got rid of my Facebook page. I'm not bringing it back, and I'm not going to link up my personal Facebook account with my Zazzle store, etc.

In sum, the discussion should stay in the forum. It's not perfect, but in my view taking this to Facebook is like creating a private club to protect its members while throwing the rest of us under the bus.

I wasn't going to say anything, but having seen this Facebook group advertised in four different threads now, I decided I couldn't keep silent anymore.
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 10:27:05 PM
I only opened a facebook for a job as a former professional blogger some years back and when I wanted to check up on the page I learned, that my dead facebook account no longer exists. I have no interest to re-open my facebook account or create a new one. So won't join the facebook group.

Facebook is, however, a force with which you can get public recognition if played right. So good luck.
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 11:26:43 PM
Felosarix wrote:
I've resisted commenting on this, but now feel I must.

If the discussion about the out-of-control theft moves to Facebook, that creates potential problems:

1) Zazzle gets to ignore the problem because it's not in their face anymore on their own forum.

2) New members won't have a clue about this problem. Because if everyone takes the discussion to Facebook, the existing posts on the forum will become harder and harder to find due to inactivity.

3) People without Facebook accounts end up left out in the cold.

I got rid of my Facebook page. I'm not bringing it back, and I'm not going to link up my personal Facebook account with my Zazzle store, etc.

In sum, the discussion should stay in the forum. It's not perfect, but in my view taking this to Facebook is like creating a private club to protect its members while throwing the rest of us under the bus.

I wasn't going to say anything, but having seen this Facebook group advertised in four different threads now, I decided I couldn't keep silent anymore.

I appreciate your views, and there's no reason why it can't be discussed on the Zazzle forum as well, but it affects an awful lot of people from other venues like RedBubble, Society6 and independent artists.
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 12:35:36 AM
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 6:43:22 AM
This whole thing makes my head spin and I know from the past that it is difficult to near impossible to stop from happening. It's been going on for decades unfortunately, before on line selling as well :-(
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 9:36:33 PM
Tangent, thought of when I read Jocelyn's comment about this happening for decades...
A friend of mine, decades ago, used to work in a little studio that sold small hand-made clay figures and beads. They somehow discovered an overseas company copying their designs. They pursued copyright infringement and actually were able to stop the overseas copycats from selling their stolen designs, at least from selling them in the U.S.A. The overseas company had bought some of their products and used those items to make molds which they were mass-producing. What was their proof? The fingerprint of one of their artists had been re-created in the mold of the stolen product.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Kinda wish we had fingerprints on our Zazzle designs.


Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 4:27:05 AM
shotwellphoto wrote:
Tangent, thought of when I read Jocelyn's comment about this happening for decades...
A friend of mine, decades ago, used to work in a little studio that sold small hand-made clay figures and beads. They somehow discovered an overseas company copying their designs. They pursued copyright infringement and actually were able to stop the overseas copycats from selling their stolen designs, at least from selling them in the U.S.A. The overseas company had bought some of their products and used those items to make molds which they were mass-producing. What was their proof? The fingerprint of one of their artists had been re-created in the mold of the stolen product.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Kinda wish we had fingerprints on our Zazzle designs.



Poetic justice of the best kind; fantastic!
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:44:36 PM


Thanks! Gosh, the forum's hard to find isn't it. I replied to your post.
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:13:51 AM
Well this is new or at least new to me. While in the midst of an ongoing battle with Amazon trying to get a design of mine pulled again (one they've deleted from other stores using the exact same stolen design when I've complained - go figure) I noticed a new and extremely bold and outrageous move on the part of this thief. Apparently they've felt entitled to actually warn others not to buy the authentic article but to buy their knock-off! How do they have the right to say "Don't buy from other stores"??? And yes it is a stolen Zazzle design from AnyTownArt (and I've notified them of such). How disgusting!>Sad

The real deal:


Navy Blue Octopus Illustration on Cream Pillow by AnyTownArt
Shop for another [url=http://www.zazzle.com/pillows?rf=238437305232837482" >Zazzle Pillow[/url]


The CiCiDi store rip-off (click on the second view):

http://www.amazon.com/CiCiDi-Vintage-Ivory-Pillow-Covers/dp/B01488GAYO/ref=sr_1_794?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1451847914&sr=1-794&keywords=vintage+king+and+queen


Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:57:06 AM
That particular design is everywhere, sadly. Which just goes to show that it's worth doing DMCA's I haven't found any of mine in two weeks.

Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 2:21:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I posted this in another thread but wanted to make sure you were made aware.

Yes, this is indeed an issue. Zazzle suggests that you contact Amazon directly as you are the intellectual property owner of your design (not Zazzle). Zazzle has sent cease and desist letters to Amazon in the past, unfortunately without much traction.

Christine
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:15:20 PM
I found a couple of products from my store on Amazon (again....) Why do they not have some "report this product" button like Zazzle has? I complained a couple of weeks ago, never received any answer.
Just reported my issue using "Found lower price" option, redirecting them to my zazzle store
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:45:18 PM
Amazon does have a button for reporting the images. I did times but didn't work.

However, I do feel Zazzle might help do something to reduce this stealing if possible. For example, put a big gray letter Z when display, when it is for printing, then the big Z will be gone. Let the shopper know this. I am sure most of customers will understand.

Usually, the thief just rip off picture from Zazzle. With a big letter Z, it is easy to know it is from Z, also the thief might lose interest to steal the image.

It is good for Zazzle as well. Zazzle and designers have to help each other. We are on the same boat somehow. Smile
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:12:22 PM
wenjunior wrote:
Amazon does have a button for reporting the images. I did times but didn't work.

However, I do feel Zazzle might help do something to reduce this stealing if possible. For example, put a big gray letter Z when display, when it is for printing, then the big Z will be gone. Let the shopper know this. I am sure most of customers will understand.

Usually, the thief just rip off picture from Zazzle. With a big letter Z, it is easy to know it is from Z, also the thief might lose interest to steal the image.

It is good for Zazzle as well. Zazzle and designers have to help each other. We are on the same boat somehow. Smile


that will not help as you can get a app that removes any or all water marks what you need to do is put a no right click save this image on the page like a lots of website have done to stop image theft.
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 1:52:28 AM
Killslammer wrote:
wenjunior wrote:
Amazon does have a button for reporting the images. I did times but didn't work.

However, I do feel Zazzle might help do something to reduce this stealing if possible. For example, put a big gray letter Z when display, when it is for printing, then the big Z will be gone. Let the shopper know this. I am sure most of customers will understand.

Usually, the thief just rip off picture from Zazzle. With a big letter Z, it is easy to know it is from Z, also the thief might lose interest to steal the image.

It is good for Zazzle as well. Zazzle and designers have to help each other. We are on the same boat somehow. Smile


that will not help as you can get a app that removes any or all water marks what you need to do is put a no right click save this image on the page like a lots of website have done to stop image theft.


I think it's more likely image scraping software, as these thefts are on a massive scale - one recently had over 4000 pillows (only a dozen or so left now), no one is going to right click that many. What needs to happen is no flat images of designs available anywhere for scrapers to scrape.
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 4:08:02 AM
I filled in a copyright form on Amazon.ca, included all links to Zazzle etc etc. Got this back:

Based on the information you provided in your intellectual property rights infringement complaint, we are unable to remove the items listed at the end of this message.

Amazon respects a manufacturer's right to enter into exclusive distribution agreements for its products. However, as the enforcement of these agreements is a matter of contract between the manufacturer and the distributors, it would not be appropriate for Amazon to assist in enforcing these agreements.


What else can we do? Seems to be "legal"according to Amazons standards to steel images and products from Zazzle and sell them!
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 6:43:10 AM
wenjunior wrote:
Amazon does have a button for reporting the images. I did times but didn't work.

However, I do feel Zazzle might help do something to reduce this stealing if possible. For example, put a big gray letter Z when display, when it is for printing, then the big Z will be gone. Let the shopper know this. I am sure most of customers will understand.

Usually, the thief just rip off picture from Zazzle. With a big letter Z, it is easy to know it is from Z, also the thief might lose interest to steal the image.

It is good for Zazzle as well. Zazzle and designers have to help each other. We are on the same boat somehow. Smile

Used to be something like that. It went away, supposedly because Google doesn't like watermarks, and Zazzle recommends against using them. I say nonsense, I'm not going to make it easier for the thieves, so I use them, and if Google doesn't show my stuff in their results, or if Zazzle won't promote my work because of it, then so be it.
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 6:45:25 AM
Killslammer wrote:
that will not help as you can get a app that removes any or all water marks what you need to do is put a no right click save this image on the page like a lots of website have done to stop image theft.

That's a deterrent, but only to the laziest of thieves. It's actually pretty easy to use free tools to capture any image from the web.
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 6:49:27 AM
ruralfrance wrote:
I think it's more likely image scraping software, as these thefts are on a massive scale - one recently had over 4000 pillows (only a dozen or so left now), no one is going to right click that many. What needs to happen is no flat images of designs available anywhere for scrapers to scrape.

They've lifted and used Zazzle's non-flat product images for T-shirts and pillows, probably other stuff as well. I suppose they would need the flat image in order to be able to actually produce something. But from what others have said, some of these people don't actually make anything. They set up shop, get orders and pocket the money, with no fulfillment.

One would think there must be some way Amazon could permanently ban such people, but maybe not.
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 7:27:05 AM
Felosarix wrote:
ruralfrance wrote:
I think it's more likely image scraping software, as these thefts are on a massive scale - one recently had over 4000 pillows (only a dozen or so left now), no one is going to right click that many. What needs to happen is no flat images of designs available anywhere for scrapers to scrape.

They've lifted and used Zazzle's non-flat product images for T-shirts and pillows, probably other stuff as well. I suppose they would need the flat image in order to be able to actually produce something. But from what others have said, some of these people don't actually make anything. They set up shop, get orders and pocket the money, with no fulfillment.

One would think there must be some way Amazon could permanently ban such people, but maybe not.


If they had a better vetting process they could filter out people to begin with. I just completed a rigorous application process to offer manufactured products on Etsy. They ask a lot of details questions about how I came up with my designs, what equipment I used to create them. They also wanted photos of the equipment and sample designs I created. Then they had detailed questions about the printing company I'm partnering with and how it's done. They also have their Ethical Expectations and I had to explain how this printing service lives up to all that. It took forever to complete the application and now I have to wait for it to be reviewed. I wish Amazon had something like this for their sellers.
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 7:55:40 AM
Quote:
I filled in a copyright form on Amazon.ca, included all links to Zazzle etc etc. Got this back:

Based on the information you provided in your intellectual property rights infringement complaint, we are unable to remove the items listed at the end of this message.

Amazon respects a manufacturer's right to enter into exclusive distribution agreements for its products. However, as the enforcement of these agreements is a matter of contract between the manufacturer and the distributors, it would not be appropriate for Amazon to assist in enforcing these agreements.


What else can we do? Seems to be "legal"according to Amazons standards to steel images and products from Zazzle and sell them!


NO! If you get that response just reply to the email and tell them no. You will have to go back and forth with them for a bit but they will remove the illegal items if you tell them they have to.
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 8:40:56 AM
sugarhai wrote:
Quote:
I filled in a copyright form on Amazon.ca, included all links to Zazzle etc etc. Got this back:

Based on the information you provided in your intellectual property rights infringement complaint, we are unable to remove the items listed at the end of this message.

Amazon respects a manufacturer's right to enter into exclusive distribution agreements for its products. However, as the enforcement of these agreements is a matter of contract between the manufacturer and the distributors, it would not be appropriate for Amazon to assist in enforcing these agreements.


What else can we do? Seems to be "legal"according to Amazons standards to steel images and products from Zazzle and sell them!


NO! If you get that response just reply to the email and tell them no. You will have to go back and forth with them for a bit but they will remove the illegal items if you tell them they have to.


Check on the internet for Cease and Desist templates and don't forget to make a sworn statement under the penalty of perjury that your claim is valid and truthful to your believes. Provide a link of the original and amazon will take them down 80% of the time. If you send Cease and desist per storefront the rate amazon gets it right is even higher. the trouble is, that even if you spend every waking hour on amazon searching, documenting and writing cease and desist notifications you won't get ahead of the counterfeiter.

I did exactly that from February 2015 til late September 2015. At the moment I hardly have the nerve to check how many storefronts there are and I have to sift through to have my designs removed. I cant upload anything to spreadshirt US without finding it shortly after on amazon in a counterfeiter storefront.

Currently I'd rather make designs here on zazzle to actually make eventually some money with what was stolen from my SPRD account. I'm not yet on their radar or the way I make zazzle products deters counterfeiters. They're very often composites and mostly with zazzle text.
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:45:03 PM
Geez, now Amazon is stalling on taking down an image that they already previously agreed was an infringement. I even sent them their original reply acknowledging the same. How ridiculous is that?

Sent the seller a 'cease and desist' notice as well. I think the results one gets from Amazon with take down notices depends entirely on who responds. Clearly some of them get it, while others will delay, delay, delay.
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:28:42 AM
Felosarix wrote:
Geez, now Amazon is stalling on taking down an image that they already previously agreed was an infringement. I even sent them their original reply acknowledging the same. How ridiculous is that?

Sent the seller a 'cease and desist' notice as well. I think the results one gets from Amazon with take down notices depends entirely on who responds. Clearly some of them get it, while others will delay, delay, delay.

And now they've sent me back another canned message that has nothing to do with the issue - the one about "if you added your image to our site" blah blah blah.

The point is that I didn't add it, nor did anyone authorized to act on my behalf. And they already previously agreed it was my image!

Update: After sending another takedown notice on the item, it appears the image may have finally been removed from the catalog (the listing is still there, but no image is associated with it anymore.)
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:07:46 PM
GrafixMom wrote:
Well this is new or at least new to me. While in the midst of an ongoing battle with Amazon trying to get a design of mine pulled again (one they've deleted from other stores using the exact same stolen design when I've complained - go figure) I noticed a new and extremely bold and outrageous move on the part of this thief. Apparently they've felt entitled to actually warn others not to buy the authentic article but to buy their knock-off! How do they have the right to say "Don't buy from other stores"??? And yes it is a stolen Zazzle design from AnyTownArt (and I've notified them of such). How disgusting!>Sad

The real deal:


Navy Blue Octopus Illustration on Cream Pillow by AnyTownArt
Shop for another [url=http://www.zazzle.com/pillows?rf=238437305232837482" >Zazzle Pillow[/url]



Not the "real deal" - the octopus is the art work that is in the public domain. William Evans Hoyle, Octopus Marmoratus, from The Voyage of HMS "Challenger", 1886 Anyone is free to use it, sell it, color it whatever they wish. Please avoid accusing people of theft or dishonesty.
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:14:46 PM
Yes, you've got to be really careful to check who is the real original artist. As well as thousands of stolen designs there are as many public domain images. Even though it's obviously pinched from Zazzle's site because of the pillow shape.
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:48:51 AM
PetAdoption wrote:
[quote=GrafixMom]Well this is new or at least new to me. While in the midst of an ongoing battle with Amazon trying to get a design of mine pulled again (one they've deleted from other stores using the exact same stolen design when I've complained - go figure) I noticed a new and extremely bold and outrageous move on the part of this thief. Apparently they've felt entitled to actually warn others not to buy the authentic article but to buy their knock-off! How do they have the right to say "Don't buy from other stores"??? And yes it is a stolen Zazzle design from AnyTownArt (and I've notified them of such). How disgusting!>Sad

The real deal:


Navy Blue Octopus Illustration on Cream Pillow by AnyTownArt
Shop for another [url=http://www.zazzle.com/pillows?rf=238437305232837482" >Zazzle Pillow[/url]



This is a public domain image.

And this is why amazon cannot take people's claims they own copyright at their word. OR check every design for proof.
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:00:18 PM
ruralfrance wrote:
Yes, you've got to be really careful to check who is the real original artist. As well as thousands of stolen designs there are as many public domain images. Even though it's obviously pinched from Zazzle's site because of the pillow shape.

Agree 100%. I took the time to carefully check several designs on the CiCiDi storefront and traced each of them back to Zazzle. I used the Octopus image as a convenient example because the image and disclaimer appear with every listing for their stolen pillows. The SK I alerted was gracious and appreciative for the headsup regardless of the origin of the design. I had assumed that in the spirit of community, most SKs would appreciate others being willing to watch their backs. I took the time to chase down dozens more examples before posting here, but not every SK had a contact button.


PetAdoption wrote:

The real deal:

Navy Blue Octopus Illustration on Cream Pillow by AnyTownArt
Shop for another [url=http://www.zazzle.com/pillows?rf=238437305232837482" >Zazzle Pillow[/url]

Not the "real deal" - the octopus is the art work that is in the public domain. William Evans Hoyle, Octopus Marmoratus, from The Voyage of HMS "Challenger", 1886 Anyone is free to use it, sell it, color it whatever they wish. Please avoid accusing people of theft or dishonesty.


Thanks for enlightening me. Let me assure you I have neither the time nor interest in trolling the internet looking for random vendors to hassle. I accused these Amazon sellers of being thieves because they are thieves...they stole an original design from me, a design I created from source files I obtained legally, a design not available for sale outside of Zazzle, in the public domain or anywhere else legally, and offered it for sale as a cheap knock-off without compensating me. Amazon Legal agreed with me and deleted the listing. I offered to provide Amazon Legal with my source files and I would be happy to provide them to you or anyone else interested in accusing me of making false accusations via my contact button.

And not assuming/accusing anybody...who knows…maybe these pillow designs are all just coincidences, very similar or probably public domain:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DAK41K7ALEWXXE&field-keywords=pillows

Trending2016 wrote:


This is a public domain image.

And this is why amazon cannot take people's claims they own copyright at their word. OR check every design for proof.


Per their own stated TOS yes, Amazon absolutely has to take copyright claims seriously, do their due diligence and make a determination when an incident of intellectual property theft is reported. And no, they don't simply take our word. The burden of proof is on us to prove beyond our words that we are the rightful owners of our intellectual property. Their failure to "respect the rights of copyright owners" once we have provided the proof they ask for (often repeatedly) is just as much a part of the problem for those of us affected as being ripped off in the first place.
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:55:04 PM
Trending2016 wrote:


This is a public domain image.

And this is why amazon cannot take people's claims they own copyright at their word. OR check every design for proof.


Whether it's public domain or not, the actual product image is taken from Zazzle's site, and product images have intellectual property rights too, do they not?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded