Zazzle makes it ridiculously hard to earn referrals 6 pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 12:43:33 PM
GollyGirls wrote:

And finally, I get (what I consider) a lot of linkovers daily. High 3 figures. I don't make a lot of referrals.

Holy cow! Mine are low. Some days I just get 1! Shocked
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 12:47:16 PM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
GollyGirls wrote:

And finally, I get (what I consider) a lot of linkovers daily. High 3 figures. I don't make a lot of referrals.

Holy cow! Mine are low. Some days I just get 1! Shocked

Lol yep, it's a lot.

But that's the thing.... QUALITY > QUANTITY
Where you advertise is important. What you advertise is important. Who you are advertising to is important.
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 12:52:17 PM
Yep! I may not get a lot of linkovers, but the ones who look often buy. That's really what I care about! Smile
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 12:57:17 PM
ruralfrance wrote:
Xander wrote:

The response I received back in March from Zazzle Support was as follows:

"If you refer them directly to the page and they make the purchase without nagavating to another page, then you will receive the referral."

That is wrong information, and if it isn't wrong information, something is seriously amiss.

Well, it's the message I got. Though now I belatedly notice the misspelling of "navigate", so maybe whoever wrote it just didn't understand how it worked? =\

(Where did my post go? It's gone now.)
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 1:20:46 PM
GollyGirls wrote:
Don't get discouraged by that. If you keep at it, you may find success...

I appreciate the encouragement. However, I've actually just arrived at a decision to stop production here. As much as I like their products and design tools, I've concluded that my work just doesn't fit Zazzle's overall way of doing things nor their target markets.

I'll keep my store here for now, since I am getting a few sales now and then. Just won't be adding to it or working on it, unless it's to remove the duds to create a leaner presence.

Since my promotional efforts have been a flop anyway, there's really no need for me to continue them. I'll eventually re-purpose my Zazzle-centric web site, too - so referrals have become a moot point.
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 2:20:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to chime in here and say that it is important to note the following regarding Associate referrals:

1. A referral is triggered by a link over to the Zazzle site through an associated link.

2. A referral will not be applied if the visitor to the Zazzle Site cannot be tracked by our system.

3. Referrals are specific to the Zazzle international portal associated with the associate link. For example: an associate link containing the Zazzle.com domain will only trigger a referral if the purchase is made through the Zazzle.com site. If the customer leaves the international portal they were initially linked to for another Zazzle international portal to conclude the purchase, the referral will not be tracked.

4. That referral is traceable within the web browser used for the initial link over, until one of the following occurs.
a. 45 days elapse from the point of link over.
b. A new (more recent) referral link is used.
c. The web browser's cookies are cleared.

5. If you access Zazzle through a referral link and then click on another referral link within approximately 30 minutes of the accessing Zazzle, the initial referral is applied and not the second referral.

6. Only products that are sold by Zazzle as a result of links to the site, shipped to a customer, and for which we have received full payment will qualify for a referral. For a sale to generate a referral, the customer must follow a link to the Zazzle site or access the Zazzle site via your Associate URL, purchase the product(s) in question using our online ordering system, accept delivery of the item at the shipping destination, and remit full payment to us.

7. Because the nature of the incentive is to drive traffic to the Zazzle site, the placement of the referral cookie can only take place upon entry into the Zazzle site. Referral links from one Zazzle page (product, Zazzle Store, or otherwise) to another Zazzle page do not trigger the cookie and therefore cannot generate a referral.

For a complete explanation of the process and policies related to referral tracking, please visit here.

Thanks,

Christine
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 2:29:51 PM
Christine wrote:

2. A referral will not be applied if the visitor to the Zazzle Site cannot be tracked by our system.

I run ghost surf almost all of the time on my home machines. I try to turn it off when I am Zazzling but sometimes I forget. My point is, many many people are running software to prevent tracking. There was a segment on the Today Show a couple days ago that was instructing people on how to use these IP and tracking blockers. And some browsers block cookies and location data by default. There are tons of sites that advise on how to control cookies for sites you visit and trust. Cookie blocking may become a trend, if it hasn't already.
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:04:43 PM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
Felosarix wrote:
Well, I'm back then to anyone who follows my links either never buys anything, already has someone else' cookie, and/or they all block cookies. Because I never get a referral.

I got 10 referrals this morning, so we need to figure out why it doesn't work for you!

Where are they found in my account area?
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:10:52 PM
Jerry wrote:
Christine wrote:

I run ghost surf almost all of the time on my home machines. I try to turn it off when I am Zazzling but sometimes I forget. My point is, many many people are running software to prevent tracking. There was a segment on the Today Show a couple days ago that was instructing people on how to use these IP and tracking blockers. And some browsers block cookies and location data by default. There are tons of sites that advise on how to control cookies for sites you visit and trust. Cookie blocking may become a trend, if it hasn't already.

ohhh, yes, my Chrome has auto-no track checked. plus I use AD blocked for most sites due to my migraines. Many people use blocks and the browsers block cookies, it's an issue discussed at many SEO blogs and sites.
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:20:54 PM
As many 3rd party sales as I get someone is not using these...Happy Happy
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 3:44:03 PM
FullyWildCards wrote:

https://www.zazzle.com/my/earnings/referralhistory
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 6:33:05 PM
Christine wrote:

7. Because the nature of the incentive is to drive traffic to the Zazzle site, the placement of the referral cookie can only take place upon entry into the Zazzle site. Referral links from one Zazzle page (product, Zazzle Store, or otherwise) to another Zazzle page do not trigger the cookie and therefore cannot generate a referral.

Hello Christine,

Thanks for the information, however I'm not sure I understand #7? Would you mind to give some examples?

Thanks a lot! Love
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 7:45:50 PM
SSHappyStore wrote:
Christine wrote:

Hello Christine,

Thanks for the information, however I'm not sure I understand #7? Would you mind to give some examples?

Thanks a lot! Love

It means if someone follows one of our links from within the Zazzle domain to make a purchase, we don't get the referral. For example, the "Show Me" forum posts. If you copy the BB code used for posting there without editing it, your referral code is in there. But you'll never make a referral from someone clicking a link in the "Show Me" forum because of #7. Likewise, some people use html code in their descriptions to link to matching products. Someone following one of those links also won't set the cookie, so no referral from it.
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 9:34:34 PM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
FullyWildCards wrote:

https://www.zazzle.com/my/earnings/referralhistory

Thank you very much
Smile

I have over a year over linkovers, and no referral history. So I am no longer going to stress about posting to social networks - since it's seems to be a waste of my time.

Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 9:50:42 PM
I don't even bother anymore with getting referrals. Maybe not for some, but for me it takes too much time and effort for too little reward.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 4:31:59 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
Yep! I may not get a lot of linkovers, but the ones who look often buy. That's really what I care about! Smile

And seriously, that is all that counts. I have learned over the years that there is no correlation between Linkovers and sales.

There are days I have 300+ linkover history and there are no sales and other times like yourself, less than 10 linkover history and I sell two items.

I don't get worked up over linkovers any longer though I do advertise just for the sake of getting it out there and clicking the products into the MP standings.

I used to get referrals all the time and now they are down considerably. I quit worrying about them.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 4:44:23 AM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
AugieDoggyStore wrote:

And seriously, that is all that counts. I have learned over the years that there is no correlation between Linkovers and sales.

There are days I have 300+ linkover history and there are no sales and other times like yourself, less than 10 linkover history and I sell two items.

I don't get worked up over linkovers any longer though I do advertise just for the sake of getting it out there and clicking the products into the MP standings.

I used to get referrals all the time and now they are down considerably. I quit worrying about them.

I agree. I know I'm not great at earning referrals and I simply don't have the patience to do things like blog. (which would be a much better choice for trying to earn referrals) So, for me, linkovers are my way of getting my designs seen. The more links out there to my stuff, the better, even if the people following those links don't purchase... I'm building my brand regardless. I would love for the linkovers to translate into sales, but I'm not worrying about it.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 4:51:24 AM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:

I checked my stats from yesterday. I had 45 linkovers. But I got 25 sales, and 17 self-referrals. So for me, linkovers are meaningless. I look at them maybe twice/year, and only because someone mentions them on the forum. lol

I think StatCounter is way better than linkovers anyway, because you can actually track the source of hits to your storefront. So you can see if people are clicking from Facebook, your blog, Google, etc. It doesn't track clicks that go to specific products, though, so that is one drawback.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 5:22:08 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:

I think StatCounter is way better than linkovers anyway, because you can actually track the source of hits to your storefront. So you can see if people are clicking from Facebook, your blog, Google, etc. It doesn't track clicks that go to specific products, though, so that is one drawback.

Well, I have statcounter on my blogs, and it does show product links if they're clicked.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 5:39:40 AM
ruralfrance wrote:
Well, I have statcounter on my blogs, and it does show product links if they're clicked.

Yes, it shows the click to reach the product page but the visitor could then click on any number of products and you won't see those clicks as there's no analytics code on the product pages themselves.
You can also see clicks into your store from product pages if you have StatCounter in your store, but once a visitor is in your store you'll see little if anything of product page hits.

Steve.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 5:53:28 AM
ruralfrance wrote:

I meant StatCounter here on Zazzle. I only see clicks to my storefront. Do you see something different?

I have Clicky on my blog. Love it, because it gives you the url of what was clicked on.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 7:39:01 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
ruralfrance wrote:

I meant StatCounter here on Zazzle. I only see clicks to my storefront. Do you see something different?

I have Clicky on my blog. Love it, because it gives you the url of what was clicked on.

I meant statcounter from statcounter.com - I have it on 7 stores and 4 blogs, then you get a list of your "projects" on statcounter.com. Then each one gives you things like:
Search Engine Wars
Exit Links
Exit Link Activity
Downloads
Download Activity
Visitor Paths
Visit Length
Returning Visits
Recent Pageload Activity
Recent Visitor Activity
Recent Visitor Map
Of course, it means yet another tab to keep open in Firefox!
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 7:40:31 AM
Steve Crompton wrote:
ruralfrance wrote:

Yes, it shows the click to reach the product page but the visitor could then click on any number of products and you won't see those clicks as there's no analytics code on the product pages themselves.
You can also see clicks into your store from product pages if you have StatCounter in your store, but once a visitor is in your store you'll see little if anything of product page hits.

Steve.

Only Zazzle could show us those, and that's not going to happen!
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 8:00:58 AM
ruralfrance wrote:
Only Zazzle could show us those, and that's not going to happen!

Yup! 'fraid so!

Steve.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 8:58:19 AM
ruralfrance wrote:

I meant statcounter from statcounter.com - I have it on 7 stores and 4 blogs, then you get a list of your "projects" on statcounter.com. Then each one gives you things like:
Search Engine Wars
Exit Links
Exit Link Activity
Downloads
Download Activity
Visitor Paths
Visit Length
Returning Visits
Recent Pageload Activity
Recent Visitor Activity
Recent Visitor Map
Of course, it means yet another tab to keep open in Firefox!

Yes, we're talking about the same StatCounter Laughing It doesn't show you which page on your Zazzle store a person landed on, does it? All I could find is a more vague, yes, someone landed on your store from Pinterest. Or Facebook, etc. It doesn't show the exact link that was clicked on those sites. If it does, tell me! Because I'm missing some valuable information. Laughing
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 9:04:55 AM
I'm confused by #4
4. That referral is traceable within the web browser used for the initial link over, until one of the following occurs.

I thought the original cookie had the "right of way" until the 45 days are up.

We've all read that our referrals may not have "taken" as there was already a cookie in "residence" - 4b states the reverse.

????
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 9:19:44 AM
BKMuir wrote:
I'm confused by #4

We've all read that our referrals may not have "taken" as there was already a cookie in "residence" - 4b states the reverse.

????

The cookie is good for 45 days unless/until the customer clicks on another referral link, replacing the first cookie with the second.

The part I don't get is how the replacement cookie isn't immediately in effect; that it still takes half an hour from getting the new cookie for it to replace the old cookie. I guess I'll just have to take their word for it.

ETA: The 45 days is just when the cookie expires; doesn't mean it's locked in place and can't be overridden.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 9:38:00 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:

Yes, we're talking about the same StatCounter Laughing It doesn't show you which page on your Zazzle store a person landed on, does it? All I could find is a more vague, yes, someone landed on your store from Pinterest. Or Facebook, etc. It doesn't show the exact link that was clicked on those sites. If it does, tell me! Because I'm missing some valuable information. Laughing

Doesn't "recent came from" on your Zazzle store statcounter show the landing page? Mine shows individual product links, collections etc. Possibly something has changed because I remember that most of my "came froms" were from the forum. I think the referring links are stripped out now.

I think also you have to look at it the other way round - where did they go to rather than where have they come from. That's what your blog statcounter is for! - exit links and exit link activity from your blog - if they click on a link they're going to land on that page. I don't think statcounter's possible with pinterest is it? Probably best to pin from your blog! Facebook, I haven't a clue. Without being able to have statcounter wherever your links are, there will always be missing information.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 9:40:38 AM
ruralfrance wrote:
Without being able to have statcounter wherever your links are, there will always be missing information.

Indeed, that just about sums it up.
And here's more musings from me....

If someone clicks on a link from fb or Pinterest to one of your product pages StatCounter can tell you nothing about it because the StatCounter code isn't on the product pages.

If someone clicks on a link from fb or Pinterest to your store's home page or a category then you'll see it in StatCounter because the code is on those pages.

If you have a blog or website using StatCounter then you'll see if someone clicks on a product page link but you won't see what happens at the other end unless they then go on from the product page to your store.

A couple of days ago I got my first self-referred sale in well over a year, I was able to see the buyer come to my site from Google and then click on a link to a product page, after that I could see nothing. I only know he actually bought the product because it's in my royalty history with the location and time (which match).
I've had similar situations before where the visitor has actually gone to my store from the product page before purchasing, when that happens you'll see the hit on the product page because it'll be recorded as where the visitor to your store came from.

hope this is of some use,

Steve.
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 9:56:10 AM
Felosarix wrote:
BKMuir wrote:
I'm confused by #4

????

The cookie is good for 45 days unless/until the customer clicks on another referral link, replacing the first cookie with the second.

The part I don't get is how the replacement cookie isn't immediately in effect; that it still takes half an hour from getting the new cookie for it to replace the old cookie. I guess I'll just have to take their word for it.

ETA: The 45 days is just when the cookie expires; doesn't mean it's locked in place and can't be overridden.

The cookie is locked in for "approximately 30 minutes." After that time is up, the cookie can be overwritten by another referral link.

30 minutes isn't very long. That's probably a cause of our lost referrals.