Zazzle Icons 13 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:16:00 AM
I have some designs that icons could work on.
I have some designs that they definitely would not work on.

One thing is for sure, though, those nasty crass ones will not work on any of them and I want to opt out rather than risking a customer choosing one of my designs and adding any of those disgusting ones!
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:21:28 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:

Of course. Designers with minimalist designs (not in terms of style - in terms of effort) will be pretty screwed. More than before. For designers offering more complex and artistic content there will be little to no impact. Even if a customer could theoretically - with the appropriate skills and effort - copy a more sophisticated designer's design with the use of these icons, I doubt, many Zazzle shoppers will go that harder and time consuming path for saving a few bucks in most cases.

You're welcome. Not intended to sound rude, btw. Checked your page and most of your designs will not be affected anyway, maybe a little few.

It might eat into minimalist designs a little. But given how text-only designs that can easily be re-created with a blank and the text tool persist at the top of product pages, probably not hugely. I have a button that is a Voltaire quote on a maroon background. It could be re-created in the text tool. Probably it already has been. But it has sold several times too.

In any case, I'm upgrading my skills at Skillshare (tutorial website) to stay ahead of what can be done with a blank. I am now at intermediate rather than beginner level of Illustrator and that counts for something in making designs that can't be re-created with silhouette single color icons.

As pointed out above, it is good to see that Zazzle moderators are quietly reading these comments and using our crowdsourcing for flagging inappropriate content. Yesterday when I searched for guns (per a comment upthread) there were quite a lot of real-world weaponry guns. Today that search turns up caulk guns,staple guns, squirt guns and sci fi ray guns. The only real-world handguns have the "no" slash through them so people can make anti-gun designs.

I had no idea there were so many ways to draw the silhouette of a cailk gun.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:16:53 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
It might eat into minimalist designs a little. But given how text-only designs that can easily be re-created with a blank and the text tool persist at the top of product pages, probably not hugely. I have a button that is a Voltaire quote on a maroon background. It could be re-created in the text tool. Probably it already has been. But it has sold several times too.

Of course they sell, too. Not everyone has the time, skills or patience to do it newly from scratch, just to save a few bucks. Applies also to graphic design and digital art. I find myself often buying artist resources at Renderosity as example, not because I don't have the skills (I could do even better in many cases), but because I prefer to invest my limited time in creating my works, what I like most, rather than in reinventing patterns and decors or shooting photos at the other end of the world (what I couldn't anyway). In programming you also often buy tools and plugins, just for the sake of productivity. It's a win-win both for buyer and seller.

Susannah Keegan wrote:
In any case, I'm upgrading my skills at Skillshare (tutorial website) to stay ahead of what can be done with a blank. I am now at intermediate rather than beginner level of Illustrator and that counts for something in making designs that can't be re-created with silhouette single color icons.

Graphic and image editing software are your best friends and essential tools as a creative. Learning to master your tools is fundamental and a precious investment. And creating unique designs is always a good way to distinguish yourself from the crowd.

Susannah Keegan wrote:
As pointed out above, it is good to see that Zazzle moderators are quietly reading these comments and using our crowdsourcing for flagging inappropriate content. Yesterday when I searched for guns (per a comment upthread) there were quite a lot of real-world weaponry guns. Today that search turns up caulk guns,staple guns, squirt guns and sci fi ray guns. The only real-world handguns have the "no" slash through them so people can make anti-gun designs.

It's good that there is moderation, but hopefully a moderate, not exaggerated one, using common sense over hyper-sensitivity. I personally don't see any problems in icons depicting guns, where's the big issue? No one becomes a serial killer just because they use a revolver icon for a funny sticker.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:39:46 AM
I personally agree with petsdreamland on the guns but there is the issue of the Zazzle content policy and images that can be considered to depict violence.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:54:14 AM
I am surprised there wasn’t better screening of theses icons ahead of time but my biggest problem is that opt out is not the default position on any new features added. It should be. That way all this could be avoided and whoever wants in can opt in.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:07:40 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I personally agree with petsdresmland on the guns but there is the issue of the Zazzle content policy and images that can be considered to depict violence.

Yup. Had that in mind when I wrote my reply. That's where my common sense and hyper-sensitivity come into play. But considering, fleece blankets are recommended for 13+ and I'll most certainly have to R-rate some funny cartoon condoms I created back in the 90s, if I ever plan to put em on mugs or funny cards...
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:13:26 AM
I don't personally have a problem with guns. I live in a red county in a red state. Some of my closest friends have conceal/carry permits. But I'm also very close to the major metros where the Parkland, Pulse, and Ft. Lauderdale Airport shootings took place. It's a polarizing issue here, and I'm not keen on guns being associated with my regional brands, as in people opening something with my Designs and seeing them so readily.

Anything depicting sexual assault or violence, generally, would be a problem too. Anything sexual, IDC, but it should be age restricted, per existing policy. Anything that would be Pg13- or R-rated in the MP should be so in icons, too, and that should be honored by the user's settings.

Otherwise, I can't and don't want to stop people from wanting ugly, and since ugly is subjective, it's not my place to judge. Though I do support what others are saying, especially about availability. I also believe our Designers could've made some better quality icons. THAT would've been a win/win!

Maybe Zazzle can get a refund and rethink that scenario...
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:18:23 AM
There are other, symbols used by white supremacists/nazis/the klan in the icons. Some are exact matches, some are not.

A couple of notes:

- Many of these could probably be constructed with the shapes tool.

- A symbol doesn't have any meaning by itself. It acquires meaning through repeated usage and association. This is exactly why these groups have been able to appropriate existing symbols, and change perceptions of their meaning.

ETA: Which is not meant as a defense for what seems a failure in vetting the symbols.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:23:20 AM
The whole icon things turned out to be so unprofessional, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that Z offered to customers tons of pictures violating its own rules and only discovered that when the designers took time to review them. It's a joke!

Visually, technically and in regard to content, everything is so un-Zazzle.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:29:48 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
There are other, symbols used by white supremacists/nazis/the klan in the icons. Some are exact matches, some are not.

And racism. I have a huge problem with that too. I'm remiss in NOT mentioning it.

Anything that violates Zazzle policy. If a Designer's Design would be pulled due to policy, those icons shouldn't be offered.

^That and my guns statement.

On the "pervert" and sexual icons, maybe Zazzle should view it this way: If it were a photo depicting the same message/act, would it be allowed? If yes, how would it be rated?

ETC: Insert "not" - remiss in not mentioning racism.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:29:51 AM
WittyBetty wrote:
The whole icon things turned out to be so unprofessional, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that Z offered to customers tons of pictures violating its own rules and only discovered that when the designers took time to review them. It's a joke!

Visually, technically and in regard to content, everything is so un-Zazzle.

^^THIS!!
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:50:00 AM
What gets my goat is that the search ability doesn't work on my image folder yet you can find all sorts in the icons folder.

Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:23:59 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I am surprised there wasn’t better screening of theses icons ahead of time but my biggest problem is that opt out is not the default position on any new features added. It should be. That way all this could be avoided and whoever wants in can opt in.

+1

I am not fond of people making choices for me and by not having opt in/out options made available, well someone has made the choice for me to be opted in, even if that isn't what I would have chosen.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:07:30 AM
Without repeating things already mentioned, it could be actually somewhat lovely if it was introduced as a way to work WITH the designer pool instead of against them, as it currently looks.

I think that is the actual root of the comments in these threads.

Otherwise, it looks like nothing more than a door out of paying designer commissions on a whole lot of wedding and holiday designs AND also doesn't work for many in the fine art / pattern niche.

The blanks already exist for someone to create whatever they want, with art from anywhere they want to grab it, including coping absolutely any design from anywhere with pretty minimal effort - and that's fine of course (the blanks themselves).

Please make the ability to include color-changing icons (minimally some of the most common generic shapes used) available to template designers - snowflakes, hearts, stars come immediately to mind, and I'm sure there are a dozen more that would be helpful AND reduce product repetition in the MP.

Then this tool would not be as 'competing' with the designers who've spent tons of time and effort designing and promoting their work that includes some of these basic shapes AS PART OF a cohesive design.

OR just let us add the same color-swapping function ability to our own (properly formatted) artwork.

AND the ability to choose if and how to allow end customers to use the new icon set on individual products.

I think that would about cover it.

Examples:
Pattern designer creates background black/white/gray pattern of whatever kind. Can now add an individual star or heart on top that the customer can pick ANY color they want to match a shirt or a particular holiday.

Invitation designer can create a template with an elaborate unicorn AND now add a star behind the kid's age that can be color-swapped by the customer to match the primary color of their party. (My son would totally go for a unicorn with a red star, for example).

Vector illustrator can (if we are allowed to upload our own) create a very specific vector they designed (ornate looking border, hand-drawn illustration, a piece of clothing that a cat might be wearing in the design.... or even a hand-drawn calligraphy quote converted to SVG) and allow the customer to select the color of the graphic, quote or frame. HOLY COW, amiright!?

Someone who wants their art exactly as is DOESN'T add a vector or DOESN'T enable product editing or DOESN'T click an optional "allow end buyer to add one of Zazzle's icons to product" option that is shown along with the other options we have when listing.

= happy customers purchasing faster, and probably more THINGS as they can fully and exactly coordinate colors.
= possibly MORE customers purchasing to begin with, because they don't have to go looking elsewhere to match their colors. Anyone who's shopped for something with or for a kid, or a detail-oriented bride, or picky color fanatic will know this can definitely make or break a sale.
= happy designers probably selling more thanks to the efficiency in design, product listing maintenance, and self-promotion time
= more creative designs overall without hundreds of image duplicates (which should make both customers happy, google happy, and website servers happy, right?) Smile
= and designers who don't want this option can opt out of having the icons shown in the customizer for their products.
= direct customers can still use the tool to create whatever the heck they want, no matter how un-PC or basic they want to be, and none of the designers have to worry about someone plastering the internet with "this awesomely offensive thing I got from Designer XYZs store on Zazzle!" LOL
= functions more like some amazing combination of multiple other POD direct to consumer AND commission-based designer pool sites.
= happier everyone with more $ in their pockets for a tweak of the customizer where the functionality seems to be at least halfway there already in that we can see it working on these pre-determined graphics.

Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:03:25 AM
The worst part about this is that someone can add one of these images onto your product and then be shared around on social media with your designer names slapped onto it, as if you originally designed it that way. We really need an opt-out for this.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:23:23 AM
muzzle123 wrote:
The worst part about this is that someone can add one of these images onto your product and then be shared around on social media with your designer names slapped onto it, as if you originally designed it that way. We really need an opt-out for this.

I hadn't realized that it credits us for the design with the icon added because when sharing it removes the store name, as you can see below.

here is my dolphin phone case with an added dolphin "icon".

and here it is with no customization at all.

but if you click on the customized "icon" link it does indeed credit me for the design.

yeah, I don't like that either. if clicked on it makes me appear to be a terrible phone case designer.

or even worse...

... I advocate dolphin murder. which I assure you, I do not.

Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:35:58 AM
Stupid idea! How does this help the designer? If I'm a customer and just want a dumb dog on a mug, how will a designer make money? Well as I see it they won't.

If they want to add an icon to an existing design, does this mean the designer will still make their commission on the product plus a fee for a change?

I seriously don't understand the point of all this and how it benefits the
store owners.

Confused??
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:40:27 AM
Deznr07 wrote:

If they want to add an icon to an existing design, does this mean the designer will still make their commission on the product plus a fee for a change?

you will still make your full royalty. it is no different than if the customer adds text or shapes as far as commission is concerned.

Deznr07 wrote:

I seriously don't understand the point of all this and how it benefits the store owners.

I can't find any benefit to designers with these "icons" but I can find plenty of detriments to designers.

Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:45:21 AM
Was thinking, and please note again I am still for the opti and opt out option.
Many are complaining about how some icons go against Zazzle's terms. I am guessing the icons get a free pass since we as designers cannot use them to put on products for us to sell. Makes a lot of sense now when you think about it. The terms possibly do not apply to a customer making a product to purchase for themselves only.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:47:04 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
RedWyvernDesigns wrote:

Quote:
there is a simple but long process fix...you have to edit EVERY product to make sure the customize button does NOT show up on the product page.
We can't edit that.

Quote:
Zazzle got rid of that in edit I see. Without notice too..thats not right. Then the only way is to revisit every product, hit the customize button and fix it up if needed and hit the sell it button, and remove the customize button from the info page. (you can now edit products through the customize button)

They didn't get rid of it. They never allowed for it. Customizing into a brand new product, and choosing to not allow for customization, is the only way it has ever been allowed to be done.

I do remember last year changing it around with removing the customization button on a few products as I wanted to keep it as is for sale and saw that in the edit part you could re-fix it.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:47:33 AM
Jerry Lambert wrote:

or even worse...
EDIT TO DELETE LINK TO JERRY'S EXAMPLE (so it doesn't end up all over the Internet)
[/center]

This goes directly to my point. I would be horrified for anyone to think I did that. I don't know why Jerry's image isn't in that code, but it's the last one with the gun.

More on that: When a customer lands on MY website, they're MY customer. When I send them to Zazzle's website, they're Zazzle's customer. When they make a purchase, they're Zazzle's customer.

I get that, 100%. They don't.

I have yet to have a customer contact me that realizes there's a separation. I explain that I'm an independent Designer, when it comes up, but they don't initially see that separation.

So if Zazzle is offering offensive material on the Product page where my Design lives, that reflects on me first, because I sent them here and that's my Design they're viewing.

And more: Some time ago, I did an adult-rated store for a client. They wanted to order promo items using the "zazzle com / store*" link. Zazzle declined to produce the order because it didn't sit right with their values and the Zazzle name was in the link. I have Products with my brand name locked. I'm not the owner of Zazzle, but I'm the owner of my own brand, and I don't think the Designer Agreement says anywhere that Zazzle can do anything it wants with my Designs - I have to go back and read it - but I know there are limitations. And, again, I know customers can customize, but it's not flaunted in their faces.

With the Icons, any troll who's in the mood can post what Jerry did on social media just for fun. (I'm SO not saying you're a troll, Jerry - I'm sure you know that, but I should say that before anyone misconstrues!)
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:48:03 AM
Deznr07 wrote:
Stupid idea! How does this help the designer? If I'm a customer and just want a dumb dog on a mug, how will a designer make money? Well as I see it they won't.

store owners.

Confused??

If it widens the Zazzle customer base and/or brings people back more often, that benefits the designers. If somebody just wants a dumb dog on a mug and that's all they buy, then maybe they bring that mug in to work and a co-worker sees it during break and asks where they got it. But when that co-worker logs in to Zazzle they'd rather have the more complex bowling frog you've made which is impossible to re-create with icons.

The benefit to us is just the knock-on effects of having potentially more business at Zazzle in general.

As far as I can tell from the post in Zazzle News, if an icon gets added to one of our designs, our royalty is the same as it would be if they didn't. Same as if they just decided to add some text that we hadn't set up a template for.

Making it opt in/out would be preferable.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:49:09 AM
RedWyvernDesigns wrote:
The terms possibly do not apply to a customer making a product to purchase for themselves only.

They do.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:53:16 AM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
muzzle123 wrote:

I hadn't realized that it credits us for the design with the icon added because when sharing it removes the store name, as you can see below.

here is my dolphin phone case with an added dolphin "icon".

and here it is with no customization at all.

but if you click on the customized "icon" link it does indeed credit me for the design.

yeah, I don't like that either. if clicked on it makes me appear to be a terrible phone case designer.

or even worse...

... I advocate dolphin murder. which I assure you, I do not.

It's awful. I shared on Pinterest and it comes up with the image and the designer's name below. On twitter the link goes to the customized product and I can't get it to work on Facebook so I'm not sure what's going on there.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:55:11 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

With the Icons, any troll who's in the mood can post what Jerry did on social media just for fun. (I'm SO not saying you're a troll, Jerry - I'm sure you know that, but I should say that before anyone misconstrues!)

They theoretically could. But then again they always had that capability but only using text. They could write "Kill Dolphins" and share that. This ability to make a design offensive has always been there with text (unless the product was locked out of customization) but nobody ever worried (or posted) about that before.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:56:43 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

So if Zazzle is offering offensive material on the Product page where my Design lives, that reflects on me first, because I sent them here and that's my Design they're viewing.

yeah, that's what I was getting at. offensive or distasteful "icons" or not, anyone can modify our products to make them substandard and with a little imagination one could take completely innocent "icons" and make our designs appear offensive and we get the credit for it.

I used my own dolphins designs to illustrate this point up there because I would never do that to another designer.

Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:58:42 AM
Deznr07 wrote:

store owners.

Confused??

It works on a lot of products where there is no image but has text on it, like for example, a shirt has a funny saying or something. A customer may love the saying but wished it had a lil more to it. So for example, a shirt says "Stay Foxy". The customer can then go to the icons and look up fox and add a fox clipart to it to give it a more personalized feel to it for them.
It isn't a horrible idea. I am fine with it. A customer can remove everything you place on a product as is with the customization button, so this isn't gonna destroy the world.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:00:28 PM
Also, I looked up some "offensive" stuff that many were complaining about and no icons are showing up. So Zazzle may have worked it where they are no longer available?

Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:02:26 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

yeah, that's what I was getting at. offensive or distasteful "icons" or not, anyone can modify our products to make them substandard and with a little imagination one could take completely innocent "icons" and make our designs appear offensive and we get the credit for it.

I used my own dolphins designs to illustrate this point up there because I would never do that to another designer.

Same when a customer can add text through the customization button and make it just as bad so no winning there as is.

Gun icons will never be removed due to military themes and video game themes.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:04:15 PM
RedWyvernDesigns wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:
RedWyvernDesigns wrote:

Quote:
there is a simple but long process fix...you have to edit EVERY product to make sure the customize button does NOT show up on the product page.
We can't edit that.

Quote:
Zazzle got rid of that in edit I see. Without notice too..thats not right. Then the only way is to revisit every product, hit the customize button and fix it up if needed and hit the sell it button, and remove the customize button from the info page. (you can now edit products through the customize button)

They didn't get rid of it. They never allowed for it. Customizing into a brand new product, and choosing to not allow for customization, is the only way it has ever been allowed to be done.

I do remember last year changing it around with removing the customization button on a few products as I wanted to keep it as is for sale and saw that in the edit part you could re-fix it.

It has never been allowed to add/remove the option to customize via EDIT. If you saw it it must have been a fluke. But anyone here, not just me, can tell you it has never been allowed.