We need a resource with transparency on best product tagging practices
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 12:26:21 PM
It's been clear to me since I joined a few years ago, than many designers are spending a significant amount of time trying to figure out the best way to tag their products. This time is eaten up trying to research for answers at Zazzle, trying to find answers in the forums, and then countless hours editing products new and old to try and make sure we're doing it right.

This is precious time spent going around in circles when we could be designing. I know for me personally, when I'm ready to work on my stores often I have to spend so much time trying to figure out and stress about this kind of stuff, I'm too wore out to create, and it's discouraging.

Especially because things change as Zazzle grows and is updated, we need an easily located resource that clearly, transparently, guides us in best practices for tagging our items.

Specific things that are not clear:

* Should we make tags with words we've already put in our titles to describe our design? (ie: minimalist)
* Do we put the product in our tags?

There is other information that needs to be clear:

* What has more weight in a search: Title, Description, or Tags?

Transparency can help avoid a lot of confusion and frustration for designers towards trying to create their products and fill their stores with quality designs. If none of the above necessarily has more weight in a search because of some algorithm, we need to know! If Zazzle isn't really sure how it all works, we need to know. If it's probably going to be over our heads, we still need to know! lol.

Tags are one of the most important aspects of running a Zazzle store. As such, they should have their own dedicated page, accessible via our Designer's Help Center, with a title that says "Zazzle's Best Product Tag Practices", or some such obvious guidance.

Edit: is all of this still relevant to the new system?
https://help.zazzle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000373127-Title-Description-Tagging-Tutorial#TagsAnchor
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 12:57:15 PM
Yes we do! Thank you for this post @Chaos
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:21:44 PM
I agree totally!
Things always change. We just need the info to roll with the changes productively.
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:59:19 PM
So, tell me. Who do you want to tag for?

Zazzle Marketplace? Google? Bing? Yahoo? Each one has separate and significantly different algorithms.

Some want repetition and measure word weight.

Some see repetition as spam and penalize the page.

Some people use different words, some use different terms, it just depends, and it's mostly trial and error, at this point.

Maybe those that track these engines can chime in..?
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:05:27 PM
Hey everyone, an update regarding this has been posted here. We understand the importance of transparency and will be passing along the feedback.

Thank you! Roses
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:11:59 PM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:
So, tell me. Who do you want to tag for?

Zazzle Marketplace? Google? Bing? Yahoo? Each one has separate and significantly different algorithms.

Some want repetition and measure word weight.

Some see repetition as spam and penalize the page.

Some people use different words, some use different terms, it just depends, and it's mostly trial and error, at this point.

Maybe those that track these engines can chime in..?

I think the two biggies for me would be the Z MP and Google. Problem is that the internet is like the shifting sands of the desert... as soon as I think I am finally getting somewhere it changes. Yeah trial and error is exactly right. I will keep trying and erring...Laughing

Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:37:25 PM
Chaos wrote:
Specific things that are not clear:

* Should we make tags with words we've already put in our titles to describe our design? (ie: minimalist)

I would say yes. Will Zazzle tell us/have they told us?

Chaos wrote:
* Do we put the product in our tags?

Zazzle still says 'no', via their latest update on the subject.

Chaos wrote:
There is other information that needs to be clear:

* What has more weight in a search: Title, Description, or Tags?

Before coming here, I would have said title, description, and tags - in that order. Somehow I got the notion that tags mattered more here, but I'm going back to my prior thinking on this.

It would be nice to have these questions clarified by Zazzle, of course.