view of foil printed cards look terrible
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 10:18:42 AM
Seriously, I don't know how I could get anyone to buy one of these. They look good when you run the "video" version, but you can't actually select that as a view (or at least, I haven't been able to get it to stick).

These are supposed to be detailed "vintage style" pine cones, they're actually quite nice, but in the static view they look positively terrible.

Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 3:35:26 AM
Hi there, I am happy to pass this on to be reviewed. Thanks Smile
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 5:06:12 AM
I've also wished the foil views could be more clear / more contrasty / less attempt at showing an exaggerated foil effect. The videos are beautiful, but something is a little lost in translation in the still photos. I totally get it - it's hard to duplicate in a still photo - but maybe a little LESS foil effect on those images would at least help them look clearer. Smile
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 5:22:27 AM
Yes. The other day, I saw a competitor company actually using color foil and it looked awesome! That's for another thread, but still they seemed to have a lot of experience in showing the standard foil cards that they had. So, it's not impossible...just a challenge maybe.
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 7:51:25 AM
The static view is the very reason I made only one or two foil cards and then nixed the whole idea.
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 10:05:27 AM
Agreed... especially anything on the white paper. It just looks washed out and terrible, you can't read the text or see the images. BTW (I realize this is a different topic) but more choices of paper color would be really nice - like especially black paper.
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 7:04:12 PM
I think the problem is the in-situ photographer captured too much glare on the white background cards. They need to be reshot with some kind of lighting adjustment.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 12:20:07 AM
Gold and silver foil shines on darker, colored and/or specialty paper or printed backgrounds. On white it's too light to have a real impact, doesn't matter how good the previews look. Unless it's a darker gold tone. It would be awesome, if Z would be able to offer the foil print on top of a regular print one day, that would put invitation and greeting cards to a new level. Especially if combined with an embossed structure - but now I'm asking too much, lol. Colored paper options would be a very good alternative in the meantime, as suggested by ZingerBug.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:55:28 AM
I've ordered some samples of the gold and silver foil cards on white, and they are really pretty! The gold especially - it's dark enough to look lovely on white IMO.

But colored stocks would be really fun to play with, as well as digital foil over 4C.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:45:58 AM
PaperGrape wrote:
I've ordered some samples of the gold and silver foil cards on white, and they are really pretty! The gold especially - it's dark enough to look lovely on white IMO.

But colored stocks would be really fun to play with, as well as digital foil over 4C.

As a photo manipulator, it seems to me that the preview image issue is just a matter of not enough contrast and a simple filter or color tweak could improve it. But not a gray overlay or foggy film that will fade it out.

or even freeze the frame in the video part where it just starts to move the "lighting" across the card...

I grabbed a screenshot and tried a few tweaks in Gimp but this was the best I could come up with and still maintain the foil look. Not sure if it is any better...

I added a drop shadow and unsharp mask, decreased the contrast a touch nudged the saturation slightly and added gold highlights here and there.

But I was only working with a low res screenshot.

Also I was wrong about the contrast, it seemed to have too much instead of not enough like I first thought.

And looking at it, it still doesn't look good... Laughing