Using Product Type Keywords in the Meta Title (Save the Date Invitations)
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 3:58:38 PM
Another member thought it might be helpful to post this question here rather than the technical forum...

After the release of Zazzle's recent YouTube video, I have an SEO technical question in regards to James mentioning: "Please don't use product keywords in meta data…" (apx 16:09 mark)

This makes sense when it comes to phone cases and some other products, but in regards to cards, it leaves me with a quandary.

QUESTION: Why not include product key words (such as "invitations") in the Meta Title, when Zazzle's auto populate tool does not necessarily insert the most popular searched for phrase for that type of product?

For example, if I type "save the date" into the search bar, the drop down will reveal the most popular searches using that phrase (please see screenshot below). It appears that the winning searched for phrase is "save the date invitations" when it comes to save the date types of products.

The word "invitations" does not get auto populated in your product's Title when you are posting it for sale if it happens to be a postcard. "Announcement Postcard" gets inserted instead… Wouldn't it be a stronger title to use "save the date invitations " as part of the title if people are searching for this the most?

If I have a save the date postcard that I'm selling, this would seem to make the most sense, as mainly postcards are the popular result for "save the date invitations" anyway... Am I hurting my most recent save the date postcard by including it in the title?

https://www.zazzle.com/rustic_save_the_date_invitations_sunflower_wood-256817844713610417

If someone can shed some additional light in regards to at least this specific product type, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 4:11:16 PM
Here is the problem I ran across with the acrylic triptychs. I could not find them no matter what search terms I tried.

What was finally discovered is that "triptych" is not a product type but a format. Zazzle wasn't adding the word to my titles and I was not adding the word to my tags because I thought it was a product type so none of my triptychs were surfacing in a search for triptychs until I finally added it to my tags.

I had many triptychs that were not searchable because of that and I only noticed it because a bunch of them went the 15 months with no views and ended up getting hidden.

It seems like sometimes "invitation" is a product type and other times it is a format... but how do we know when?

Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 8:28:53 PM
Good question Shelli... Hopefully someone at Zazzle can provide some additional feedback regarding situations such as these?
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 3:32:24 AM
I've hated the paper breakout ever since it showed up. LOL
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 11:35:21 AM
Looks like James answered this question pretty much on the Zazzle ProDesigners Forum when asked by Plush Paper Design:

"Question after watching Zazzle Chat: Design Tips You've Probably Forgotten"

Am I allowed to cut and paste his recommendations here for those who don't have access to that forum?

Seems like general helpful advice that all designers should know...
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 11:51:58 AM
Raphaela_Wilson wrote:
Looks like James answered this question pretty much on the Zazzle ProDesigners Forum when asked by Plush Paper Design:

Am I allowed to cut and paste his recommendations here for those who don't have access to that forum?

It would be nice if you could or at least paraphrase it. I would like to know the answer and still don't understand why some information is only available for certain levels. Especially since some members (not me) are only still at a lower level due to a high level of international sales.
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 12:14:06 PM
Quote:
If I have a save the date postcard that I'm selling, this would seem to make the most sense, as mainly postcards are the popular result for "save the date invitations" anyway... Am I hurting my most recent save the date postcard by including it in the title?

https://www.zazzle.com/rustic_save_the_date_invitations_sunflower_wood-256817844713610417

If one searches for [save the date invitations] there are 125,362 results of varying product types.

If one searches for [save the date postcards] there are 20,274 results. (I would assume that Zazzle is including all actual postcard product types regardless of how the designer has it tagged/titled)

If one searches for [save the date invitations postcards] it's now narrowed down to only 2,471 results. (Yours is there, it's right on top if you sort by Newest to be sure.)

If I were selling such a product I would want to show up in that last more-defined search where there's so much less competition for a popular product type. So yeah, I personally would definitely include "invitation".

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 12:30:30 PM
Raphaela_Wilson wrote:

I have heard that is frowned upon but I do think James should do it.
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 2:36:08 PM
Smile

James Chapman wrote:

My guidance in the video on product specific words in the title is intended more for those people who were not putting many, if any, words about the design in the title.

When giving guidance I have to walk a fine line between educating those who may have very little experience on our site or may have developed habits that are not optimal and those designers who have years of experience and better understand the subtleties of our marketplace.

For those who are more experienced I would suggest the following mindset when titling their products. If you think your words better describe the product than our default product type words then by all means use your words.

There are many instances where you, our designing community, have new and better ways to describe the product as you see it. Zazzle's community of thousands of designers will always be able to find better ways than we can because of the power of the masses. We recognize that your input and insights are much more specific than our more generic labels and have recently built out our new department structure and expanded the product offering to support more ways of describing products.

You asked if the appended titles will continue to evolve and the answer is yes. We are constantly trying to help optimize our products for both Zazzle internal search and for SEO search placement. Do I know how that will evolve? No, but I know it will which is why I suggested not stuffing the titles with lots of product specific keywords that won't help sell the design as well as adding more design descriptive keywords.
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 2:40:19 PM
Thank you Kevin!
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 3:16:32 PM
yes, thank you Kevin!