Updated Chat Functionality - official feedback thread 20 pages: First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Last
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 1:58:46 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
[quote=Saints_Aplenty] It sort of looks like they are envisioning customers uploading an image to chat and asking the designer to incorporate it into a specified design.

But isn't that why the "Customize" button is on each product, so the customers can do just that?
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 1:58:57 PM
lioncrusher wrote:

But I feel like people who are talking about their customer service skills are missing the point.

Though I can't speak for Shelli, I listed those skills not as an argument for and against the chat. I perceived Shellis remark as a direct response to naming skill further up and as an assertion of authority on the subject.

Mine were more of a joke in response to both and partly a response to the word "reality check" as to having real world experience as to how wrong customer communication can go despite all well intentions.

I agree with you that those reasons are irrelevant, however.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:00:40 PM
vivendulies wrote:
lioncrusher wrote:

But I feel like people who are talking about their customer service skills are missing the point.

Though I can't speak for Shelli, I listed those skills not as an argument for and against the chat. I perceived Shellis remark as a direct response to naming skill further up and as an assertion of authority on the subject.

Mine were more of a joke in response to both and partly a response to the word "reality check" as to having real world experience as to how wrong customer communication can go despite all well intentions.

I agree with you that those reasons are irrelevant, however.

Gotcha! I agree, having people who lack customer service skills giving "customer service" is definitely an additional issue!
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:15:22 PM
lioncrusher wrote:
Susannah Keegan wrote:
[quote=Saints_Aplenty] It sort of looks like they are envisioning customers uploading an image to chat and asking the designer to incorporate it into a specified design.

But isn't that why the "Customize" button is on each product, so the customers can do just that?

I have a few designs, where customers greatly benefit from me have set up the design and my skills. So lending a hand makes sense in this respect but it still comes with a discrepancy of effort and reward.

Yes, I have a lovely review from the newly weds in my reviews. I'm happy for the couple and I do random acts of kindness if I feel like it. However I still don't appreciate a 50 cents/hour rate or worse scenario a 10 cent/hour rate where you kindly and nicely support zazzle customers, "cooperate" (misnomer ... it is plain and simple service) by adding their family portrait underneath a digital passepartout, where you if need be apply filters or in case of my cat-mugshot clear the background of a cat photo and replace the PDF cartoon cat for the family cat. I'm well trained in photoeditors, some stuff still takes a lot of time.

Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:19:12 PM
vivendulies wrote:
lioncrusher wrote:
Susannah Keegan wrote:

I have a few designs, where customers greatly benefit from me have set up the design and my skills. So lending a hand makes sense in this respect but it still comes with a discrepancy of effort and reward.

Yes, I have a lovely review from the newly weds in my reviews. I'm happy for the couple and I do random acts of kindness if I feel like it. However I still don't appreciate a 50 cents/hour rate or worse scenario a 10 cent/hour rate where you kindly and nicely support zazzle customers, "cooperate" (misnomer ... it is plain and simple service) by adding their family portrait underneath a digital passepartout, where you if need be apply filters or in case of my cat-mugshot clear the background of a cat photo and replace the PDF cartoon cat for the family cat. I'm well trained in photoeditors, some stuff still takes a lot of time.

That's like... almost free design work. Professional designers usually charge hundreds for that kind of customization.

Edit: If I were you, if a customer wants that kind of customization and expects you to do it, set the markup really high.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:28:36 PM
lioncrusher wrote:
Susannah Keegan wrote:

They might be looking for something that isn't possible even with the customize button. Maybe you made a design in Photoshop that has a whole bunch of layers (like one of those monogram phone cases that has ribbons and doodads all over plus a space for the monogram). You iploaded it flattened. They could plunk their image down on top of it with the customize button but were hoping that maybe the a robbon or doodad could be partly over their image. You could then re-upload with each Photoshop layer as a separate image. and their image could be slotted in between these layers.

I'm just trying to guess what Zazzle is envisioning with that legalese. It seems aimed at custom work, collaborations between a designer and customer, presumabl.

I'm wondering if there were past situations where a customer requested custom work and then thought it would be exclusibe to them even if it didn't incorporate one of their own images. Or maybe a customer gave a designer an image and then that image wound up in the MP. The legalese seems to be addressing that.

edited to add: or what viviendules said-she gave a good example
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:32:26 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
lioncrusher wrote:
Susannah Keegan wrote:

They might be looking for something that isn't possible even with the customize button.

Good point. As I added in my comment above: as designers, I really highly recommend you guys being compensated for your time if you are doing custom orders like this.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:52:22 PM
One thing I would like to see is an opt out or an "offline" mode.

On the occasions that I do get contacted by customers via the old "contact a designer" email option thing, its so that they can ask me for digital copies of my design - which I do not give out due to the nature of selling my work print on demand. Only a handful of times have customers contacted me asking to modify an existing product on Zazzle.
So another thing that would be cool is a custom auto "message" that can send to customers who open a chat with us. That way if each individual designer has an outline of what they offer / don't offer, they can let the customer know right away. Or if someone is away on vacation, they can put it in the message. Just a thought!
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:53:01 PM
reflections06 wrote:
I know it's been mentioned before but I want to bring it up again, because it really does matter.

Zazzle, PLEASE take a page from FB and:

1. change the hover text on the bubble to *anything* but chat. Message, Contact Us, Get in Touch, whatever. Chat (falsely) implies that not only is someone sitting there waiting to respond to a customer, but also implies the person responding is prepared, calm, cool, kind, level-headed, professional and essentially representing zazzle. Do you REALLY want every single one of your designers speaking for the entire company? Everyone using the forums knows good and well, not everyone is a great fit to be repping the company but this IS how it's going to look to customers.

I see this when I look at my store (and other random stores)

When I click on it, it brings up the chat window. Is it possible they've already changed it or am I not looking in the right place?
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:59:22 PM
Look at the top of the screen for the little blue speech bubble. If you hover over it, it says "Chat."
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:01:41 PM
Dale M. Boyce wrote:
reflections06 wrote:
I know it's been mentioned before but I want to bring it up again, because it really does matter.

Zazzle, PLEASE take a page from FB and:

1. change the hover text on the bubble to *anything* but chat. Message, Contact Us, Get in Touch, whatever. Chat (falsely) implies that not only is someone sitting there waiting to respond to a customer, but also implies the person responding is prepared, calm, cool, kind, level-headed, professional and essentially representing zazzle. Do you REALLY want every single one of your designers speaking for the entire company? Everyone using the forums knows good and well, not everyone is a great fit to be repping the company but this IS how it's going to look to customers.

I see this when I look at my store (and other random stores)

When I click on it, it brings up the chat window. Is it possible they've already changed it or am I not looking in the right place?

I think it says message on that button because it is possible to get into chat with the designer and contact customer support via email. The only reason why you are directed to chat right away is because it is your own account. If you would click on my message button in the member profile you would have to go through the process again.

The other thing is the bubble icon at the top of Zazzle pages still says chat when you hover over it. Even though inside the chat window it says messages. It is all rather confusing and not consistent at this point. Pretty sure a lot of work is still going on behind the scenes and it will come right eventually.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:21:44 PM
lioncrusher wrote:

Edit: If I were you, if a customer wants that kind of customization and expects you to do it, set the markup really high.

So far customize request were minor but it looks like zazzle is inviting these customize requests more. From my experience so far nobody asked what the request will cost. In my experience customers willing to pay fair rates are the exceptions. Mostly if and when the questions comes up you find yourself in an Arabian bazar wheeling and dealing prizes. Where the hustling, wheeling and dealing starts has much to do with your surroundings and presentation and I can't see zazzle in the field of any decent rate.

So far zazzle referred to more sales only, but at who's expense?
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:28:38 PM
vivendulies wrote:
lioncrusher wrote:

So far customize request were minor but it looks like zazzle is inviting these customize requests more. From my experience so far nobody asked what the request will cost. In my experience customers willing to pay fair rates are the exceptions. Mostly if and when the questions comes up you find yourself in an Arabian bazar wheeling and dealing prizes. Where the hustling, wheeling and dealing starts has much to do with your surroundings and presentation and I can't see zazzle in the field of any decent rate.

For me, spending hours on a custom design for only a dollar or two is just not worth it in my opinion.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:32:30 PM
vivendulies wrote:
lioncrusher wrote:

I have no intention of doing what they call "collaborations". I'll tweak existing designs per request but I won't do anything that I couldn't turn around and sell in the MP.

We have no way of getting paid up front. We can only do the custom design and then hope the customer buys it. So I won't do any design that I can't also sell in the MP because I don't want to spend a bunch of time on something that the customer decides not to buy and that I also can't sell to anybody else. So no collaboration for me. But I will do tweaks that I can sell in the MP.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:36:56 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
lioncrusher wrote:

I have no intention of doing what they call "collaborations". I'll tweak existing designs per request but I won't do anything that I couldn't turn around and sell in the MP.

We have no way of getting paid up front. We can only do the custom design and then hope the customer buys it. So I won't do any design that I can't also sell in the MP because I don't want to spend a bunch of time on something that the customer decides not to buy and that I also can't sell to anybody else. So no collaboration for me. But I will do tweaks that I can sell in the MP.

I agree. I hope there is a way we can opt out of this too. I don't mind tweaking existing designs, as you say. I had a customer contact me and wanted my Chinese Dragon design on a shower curtain, but facing left instead of right. No problem. Took me all of 30 seconds and I can sell it in the marketplace to other customers too. But I will not spend hours of my time doing custom work for what amounts to pennies. This is Zazzle taking advantage of the designers. I will not do free work.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:45:36 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
lioncrusher wrote:

Same notion with a few field tests so far which regretfully haven't worked out for me in any noteworthy increase of income. So my willingness to do this kind of service, is notably diminished. I still may do these random acts of kindness, because they are fun to do and there are random acts of kindness that I had the pleasure to receive.
Smile
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 4:04:52 PM
lioncrusher wrote:
I agree. I hope there is a way we can opt out of this too. I don't mind tweaking existing designs, as you say. I had a customer contact me and wanted my Chinese Dragon design on a shower curtain, but facing left instead of right. No problem. Took me all of 30 seconds and I can sell it in the marketplace to other customers too. But I will not spend hours of my time doing custom work for what amounts to pennies. This is Zazzle taking advantage of the designers. I will not do free work.

Ditto. I'll do generic design adaptations on request for free as a courtesy AND put them on regular sale afterward. In that case, the one who had requested the change will get the link via email or FB messenger, for obvious reasons.

When it comes to real custom works, I'll keep them strictly separate from the Zazzle store. These are in fact custom graphic design services I'll handle on FB and my website and charge separately. No way I will spend hours on custom work and surcharge the royalty (or do it for free), with the risk, that they rethink it and don't purchase the product anymore. They order, they pay, they get the artwork AND a direct-link to the prepared product of their choice on Z.

That said, people know well, what the difference between a simple adaptation and custom work is. If they start complaining or aren't willing or reluctant to pay a fair price, I'll decline. No need to deal with trolls and smarty-pants.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 4:21:56 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
lioncrusher wrote:

Ditto. I'll do generic design adaptations on request for free as a courtesy AND put them on regular sale afterward. In that case, the one who had requested the change will get the link via email or FB messenger, for obvious reasons.

When it comes to real custom works, I'll keep them strictly separate from the Zazzle store. These are in fact custom graphic design services I'll handle on FB and my website and charge separately. No way I will spend hours on custom work and surcharge the royalty (or do it for free), with the risk, that they rethink it and don't purchase the product anymore. They order, they pay, they get the artwork AND a direct-link to the prepared product of their choice on Z.

That said, people know well, what the difference between a simple adaptation and custom work is. If they start complaining or aren't willing or reluctant to pay a fair price, I'll decline. No need to deal with trolls and smarty-pants.

For sure. I do custom pet portraits and other custom design work, and those are strictly separate from my online stores. I require at least a 50% deposit up front, with the remainder paid upon completion of the artwork. I don't bargain my prices either.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 7:10:35 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:

and don't forget this scenario, you do the work, they love the design, they buy the product, you get the royalty and the referral, the product ships out, there is a problem on the production end...bad printing, puzzle cut poorly, whatever... buyer cancels order and you lose royalty and referral. so essentially you get Zilch even though your design was solid.

Nope is all I have to say about that.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 8:54:59 PM
Under no circumstances should Zazzle require designers to participate in the Chat feature if they're unable to or don't want to. However, it's obvious that Zazzle doesn't care about what designers want because they've already gone ahead and made the Chat feature a requirement by not providing an "Opt Out" choice. They're trying to cajole us into using it by saying "Just give it a chance!" When would you like me to give it a chance? During the few hours I have to myself at night after getting home from a full-time job and before I go to bed and get ready to do it all over again the next day?

I was fine with people contacting me with design requests/question via message/email. Having a Chat button makes customers think that there is someone there 24/7 who is going to be readily available to respond when they click on Chat. I work full-time. I'm away from home 50-60 hours per week between my job and the drive time. When I'm at work, I'm getting paid to work. I'm not getting paid to respond to Zazzle customers who are trying to Chat live with someone. I also don't use my work computer to access my Zazzle sites, and I don't have the Zazzle app nor do I want to download it.

I'm also not getting paid by Zazzle to chat with customers who are clicking the Chat button because they want someone to help them with the design tool or they want to complain that something they bought was late getting to them, is the wrong size, that it shrunk after washing or fell apart. Designers have no control over the items offered by Zazzle or the quality of those items, so we shouldn't be forced to deal with customers who think our Chat buttons are for Customer Service or a means to process returns.

What about designers who are on vacation? What about those who may have had surgery and are recovering, or who are in treatment for life-threatening diseases, or who may be recovering from injuries from an accident?
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 9:32:22 PM
It would be nice to have the feature similar to Facebook and Instagram messaging where you can see if the customer has seen your reply. The little "seen" icon that lets us know that they have gotten the message and perhaps have chosen to not continue with the conversation after all.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 11:23:29 PM
Lise Wong wrote:
It would be nice to have the feature similar to Facebook and Instagram messaging where you can see if the customer has seen your reply. The little "seen" icon that lets us know that they have gotten the message and perhaps have chosen to not continue with the conversation after all.

FYI I click mark as read just to get rid of the little number all the time. It never means I have seen the content.
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 12:34:42 AM
I have no intention of engaging with chat, I agree with everyone and think it's a terrible idea and should not be forced upon us. Haven't read every post here so just curious, as Zazzle asks us for feedback on this, have they replied even once to the feedback which i see as 90% or more against it.
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 1:25:34 AM
To be fair on page 5 Scott answered some technical questions which was all he said he could answer right now.

Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 2:10:50 AM
Lise Wong wrote:

I'm not comfortable with that if that is mandatory. If I were to get a message, I am sure I would be curious as to what it said, and would read it, but I wouldn't want my privacy invaded by showing that I was online and read it. That is an unnecessary intrusion. I keep my online presence as invisible as possible and I want to remain invisible here, too.

EDITING TO ADD:

My own family members do not even know when I am online or not (not that that is how we communicate, but still, they just don't know), so why would I want strangers knowing.....

ADDING MORE:

I do not come online to socialize. I socialize offline. Chat/Messaging denotes socializing to me. I'm not here for that.
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 3:25:16 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Lise Wong wrote:

I'm not comfortable with that if that is mandatory. If I were to get a message, I am sure I would be curious as to what it said, and would read it, but I wouldn't want my privacy invaded by showing that I was online and read it. That is an unnecessary intrusion. I keep my online presence as invisible as possible and I want to remain invisible here, too.

Ditto! For reasons of my safety!

Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 3:45:52 AM
I'm also someone who tries to remain as invisible as possible on the net. I find it ironic that we haven't been able to know our customers' full names or contact info for privacy reasons, but now we're expected to put up our pictures and names out there, etc. Nope.
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 4:30:17 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Lise Wong wrote:

EDITING TO ADD:

My own family members do not even know when I am online or not (not that that is how we communicate, but still, they just don't know), so why would I want strangers knowing.....

This is something I hate on Facebook's messenger, together with the note when I was on (what I tried to disable, but it never worked). I often enter FB to check messages and some posts only, not having the time or not in the mood to communicate. So I read the message, but may want to respond later on, when I have more time or I feel so. Or I read and answer important ones and spare that one for later.

Some people become upset if they see I was on but didn't reply to them. I even had people who accused me to ignore them, what is not the case. So I feel then obligated to reply and tell them I'm just busy. This with FB friends and followers, which may understand. That won't work with customers, so in these cases you HAVE to respond, even only to say thanks for the message, I'll respond later. It can be truly stressful.

That's the reason, my Skype status is always set to offline.
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 4:43:43 AM
You get a Z message you get an email. The message is in the email.
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 4:53:12 AM
I had a friend who was stalked online. Lucky for her, the stalker died. Then one day she came home to discover two strangers sitting in her living room because they'd found her online and were sure she'd enjoy a visit from them. They were stupid and rude, but they could just as easily have been far worse. And how did they find her? She was a writer, and her publisher (like so many publishers these days) expected her to promote her books on social media. It was part of the deal. After the uninvited-visitor experience, she told her publisher she wasn't ever going to promote her books again. And she didn't.

If you think about what happened to my friend, as a writer, she earned only royalties for her creative work, but she found that, as time went on, publishers wanted the writers to do more and more of what they, the publishers, had always done. And yet, royalties didn't increase as the writers increased the work they were never trained to do.

There's a certain parallel here, first in the fears that people are expressing and then in the suspicion that work will rise while profits don't. I have the same concerns, but I'm still taking a wait-and-see attitude.