Tote Bag Spam!
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:12:50 PM
Hi fellow Zazzler's and Moderaters, just reaching out to see if there is still a report button for designers spam! The tote bag section is ugly! Folks searching would leave there in a flash! Same design on 100 products? One after the other is not good for Zazzle re marketing and sales! Just venting but trying to help also with feedback!! Jilly
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 2:35:33 AM
Meh. I looked and I don't consider that spam given that it isn't actually the same design but rather riffs on a popular theme. And it's multiple designers. So it looks more like bandwagon than spam. It happened with chevrons too.

I can't knock bandwagonning since I do it myself. Flamingos are super popular so I drew some flamingos since they are super easy to draw; two ovals and 3 lines. And they sell. Maybe next year they won't.

Watching what sells on Zazzle and out in the larger world it seems like most customers don't want something literally unique. They want a personalized riff on what's fashionable, preferably one that hasn't yet reached home/clothing box stores. So inevitably a certain sort of design piles up on the front page even if done by multiple designers until something else becomes fashionable.

Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 12:23:41 PM
I'd love to see a sub category under totes for 'All Over Print' tote bags, instead of just 'Embroidery' and 'Printed'.

A non designer coming to the MP wouldn't think to search for that.
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 2:56:49 PM
Looks to me like a bunch of people all took the same class.

Nothing wrong with that except it seems to be killing originality...
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 4:07:52 PM
Susannah, "Spam" is a little harsh I guess! But this section was not a good look! Just looked at tote bags again today and heeps betterSmile Perhaps someone has taken a peak!! Thats_Graphic I totally agree that there should be sub category for all over print bags.They are a quality product and should not be lumped in the the other totes. Shelli, yes unfortunately customers may not appreciate it either!
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 4:20:44 PM
I agree the all over print totes shouldn't be lumped with the other totes. They are very different and should have their own sub category. I have received both types more than once and they are very different in quality, look and feel, in addition to the fact that being all over print makes one type different than the other. In addition the other tote bags are cotton, which is a natural material that some people may prefer or want. I love natural materials, but also love great quality in workmanship, print and materials that may not be all natural. Smile
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 5:39:54 PM
AfriCreations,Yes I agree! Your Quote reads "In addition the other tote bags are cotton, which is a natural material that some people may prefer or want. I love natural materials, but also love great quality in workmanship, print and materials that may not be all natural" If these Classic Tote Bags were in a Department Store, you would display these entirely totes together!
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:17:54 PM
orientcourt wrote:
AfriCreations,Yes I agree! Your Quote reads "In addition the other tote bags are cotton, which is a natural material that some people may prefer or want. I love natural materials, but also love great quality in workmanship, print and materials that may not be all natural" If these Classic Tote Bags were in a Department Store, you would display these entirely totes together!


Based on all the reasons I mentioned in my complete statement and also based on what I received the differences were like night and day. So cotton could be a sub category as well as all over print.
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:54:51 PM
Don't most people search for an actual design/theme anyways than the "newest first" option?

I was doing some searchs though today and there are some serious designs that are plain ugly. I do wish Zazzle would hold themselves to a higher standard of designs, But oh well.
You are right, some designs and themes are just too many or some are too ugly. It makes all of us look bad.
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:28:49 PM
SucculentPropagation wrote:
Don't most people search for an actual design/theme anyways than the "newest first" option?

I was doing some searchs though today and there are some serious designs that are plain ugly. I do wish Zazzle would hold themselves to a higher standard of designs, But oh well.
You are right, some designs and themes are just too many or some are too ugly. It makes all of us look bad.


A sub category is great for breaking up very large categories so that an individual can see what the main options are. A good example of this is already there - that is the embroidery sub category. So a sub category of cotton and a sub category of all over print would also be great.
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:46:31 AM
SucculentPropagation wrote:

I was doing some searchs though today and there are some serious designs that are plain ugly. I do wish Zazzle would hold themselves to a higher standard of designs, But oh well.


I'm glad they don't for two reasons:

1)Currently all vetting is done by bot, looking for copyright violating words or images that match those in a database. Youtube has a similar bot image match that keeps porn off and no doubt Zazzle keeps porn as well as other images in their database off. This can all be done by bot since it isn't subjective.
You can't vet for "high standard designs" with a bot. That has to be done by people. Clearly there are Zazzle employees whose job it is to peruse the designs and pick out some they think are high enough standard to be featured picks for the banner ads or editors picks and such. But they aren't looking at every single design somebody uploads. That would create a funnel so tight that time from upload to post would go to months. It would also force them to hire more people, driving up prices. And they would doubtless put a fierce cap on how much any designer could have in their store or upload in a month (probably 10/month would let them look at all).
The end result would be a small, elegant boutique of hand picked designs rather than the sprawling bazaar of everything imaginable for every possible taste, which I love and so do customers.

2)Designs that are "ugly" vs "attractive" is quite subjective. But then there is the other consideration that "ugly" has market value for some people. Not everyone wants to be tasteful. Some people want to be transgressive with clashing colors or skulls. Zazzle's whole schtick is how personalized these products can be and that means that somebody who wants poop emoji wrapping paper or a tote bag that causes stares can find something too. There is something for everyone here.

Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 3:42:24 AM
Oh yes. You would be surprised what sells here. Or if you've been around long enough you wouldn't be. There are plenty of websites out there that sell tacky and horrible products found on zazzle. I would suggest if you don't have something tacky and horrible in your collection, that you get some.
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 3:55:25 AM
There are PODs where your work should be approved. There also is a POD with high quality designs and I am afraid, not all who suggest setting high standards on Zazzle would make it to said PODs. Also, it's plain not our job to discuss other people's work unless they asked for our opinion. I love Zazzle, and I love the way things are here.
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:23:18 AM
A category that has over 1 million products to me should be broken down when there are options such as the ones I mentioned due to the fact that its a very large category and due to the fact that the products are not the same. Those are the reasons for my comment. It doesn't really matter so much what people create. Everyone has different tastes, styles and markets. Its a way of making navigation easier Smile
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:57:59 AM
eightbitarmy wrote:
Oh yes. You would be surprised what sells here. Or if you've been around long enough you wouldn't be. There are plenty of websites out there that sell tacky and horrible products found on zazzle. I would suggest if you don't have something tacky and horrible in your collection, that you get some.


Everyone doesn't think the same way. There are actually products that I have sold, but still remade because they weren't up to my personal standards. I have also bought products to see what they are like, because nothing beats seeing something in real life. Its part of what I call quality control. Business owners and professionals are more likely to understand this. Smile
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 6:27:15 AM
AfriCreations wrote:
A category that has over 1 million products to me should be broken down when there are options such as the ones I mentioned due to the fact that its a very large category and due to the fact that the products are not the same. Those are the reasons for my comment. It doesn't really matter so much what people create. Everyone has different tastes, styles and markets. Its a way of making navigation easier Smile


Of course Smile I wasn't talking about breaking down the category and I agree that all-overs would do better being separated from cotton totes; it's just should be thought out how to name their category because I doubt most customers would understand what "all-over-print" means and given that many of all-over totes have only design in the center just like cotton totes have (so in fact they are not all-overs), I would definitely be lost thinking how to name their category properly. Maybe this is the reason why they are not separated Smile
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:31:55 AM
WittyBetty wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:
A category that has over 1 million products to me should be broken down when there are options such as the ones I mentioned due to the fact that its a very large category and due to the fact that the products are not the same. Those are the reasons for my comment. It doesn't really matter so much what people create. Everyone has different tastes, styles and markets. Its a way of making navigation easier Smile


Of course Smile I wasn't talking about breaking down the category and I agree that all-overs would do better being separated from cotton totes; it's just should be thought out how to name their category because I doubt most customers would understand what "all-over-print" means and given that many of all-over totes have only design in the center just like cotton totes have (so in fact they are not all-overs), I would definitely be lost thinking how to name their category properly. Maybe this is the reason why they are not separated Smile


The label that is attached to the bag states "all new material consisting of 100% polyester fiber of recycled material" So from this "polyester" and "recycled" are clues, if all over print is not the best words to use. I don't think finding a name for a sub category should be a problem. Smile
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:16:11 AM
Part of Zazzle's Quirky appeal is the variety and originality of the designs and beauty as well as ugliness is in the eye of the beholder.

We do not need curators who are bound to be biased.
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 12:49:02 PM
Hi Shelli,the 'ugly' word was not used to demean the designs,only to observe that the page itself looked pretty messy with multiples of the same design ! Both tote products do not sit well together as the products are so different. AfriCreations has made some very valid points here! And yes it would take heeps of time and money to mix and match so the page looks terrific! A Sub Category would definately help!!
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:12:00 PM
orientcourt wrote:
Hi Shelli,the 'ugly' word was not used to demean the designs,only to observe that the page itself looked pretty messy with multiples of the same design ! Both tote products do not sit well together as the products are so different. AfriCreations has made some very valid points here! And yes it would take heeps of time and money to mix and match so the page looks terrific! A Sub Category would definately help!!


Hi Jilly I was actually commenting on succulentpropagation's post not yours. I should have used a quote to let you know that.

I agree about the page looking a mess but what can we do about that when the algorithm chooses the most popular and best sellers to show first.

still though I don't think curating is a fair answer because it is too subjective.
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 12:17:24 PM
I don't know about tote bags but there are designers who will make too many products with the same design and just change the color to make, IMO, too many of that same design and just changing the color.

This could be solved easily by having a drop down with a large selection of different colors so the CUSTOMER can choose which color they want. That would also save the designer time and eliminate customers having to wade through so many redundant designs before finding what they want or, worse yet, leaving the site in disgust. JMO

Nancy B.
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:21:29 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
1)Currently all vetting is done by bot, looking for copyright violating words or images that match those in a database. Youtube has a similar bot image match that keeps porn off and no doubt Zazzle keeps porn as well as other images in their database off. This can all be done by bot since it isn't subjective.
Not quite. There are some instances at YouTube where videos are removed in bulk (these are obvious copyright infringements which are identified by sound recognition algorithms), but when it comes to content evaluation the decision to remove a video is usually made by a human. For sensitive content it's usually a viewer at home that stumbles across something objectionable and flags it as inappropriate. Same basic principles apply at Zazzle, though we don't really ever remove products in bulk for copyright reasons in the same ways that YouTube does.

Also, porn can be extremely subjective.
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:28:40 AM
Also, we're open to people submitting all sorts of different designs. The nice thing about Zazzle's marketplace is that there's so many products that you'll probably find what you're looking for. But remember that customers tend to search for something (and not just go to the 'tote bag' section and click through pages and pages of results), so they're less likely to only see the same template designs. Or, if that's the case, then they'll refine their search query.

But we are constantly looking for tweaks that we can make which we think will help surface better results. It's not quite as easy as it sounds, though.
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:30:56 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Part of Zazzle's Quirky appeal is the variety and originality of the designs and beauty as well as ugliness is in the eye of the beholder.

We do not need curators who are bound to be biased.


I'm with you!
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:16:37 PM
TheClothesCloset wrote:
I don't know about tote bags but there are designers who will make too many products with the same design and just change the color to make, IMO, too many of that same design and just changing the color.

This could be solved easily by having a drop down with a large selection of different colors so the CUSTOMER can choose which color they want. That would also save the designer time and eliminate customers having to wade through so many redundant designs before finding what they want or, worse yet, leaving the site in disgust. JMO

Nancy B.


I'm so with you. Hidden layers is a step in this direction and I use it but ... and it is a big BUT I doubt any and all would adopt this type of grouping even if there were a "save as selection" which groups shirts or mugs in color variations with a drop down, so you still have a certain amount of individual color variations.

May I stress, that a

"safe as selection"
which puts them all on one page with a drop down or thumbnail selection
and the most sold or first/last created is the only shown in search results and overviews


... is something I really really really would like to have. Smile

it would reduce the pages and pages and pages of color and word variations to some extent
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:38:01 PM
Scott wrote:


Also, porn can be extremely subjective.


Really? how do you figure? if you mean that some think all nudity is porn I think that is just a matter of them not understanding the definition of the word...

It would be disappointing to find that Zazzle is kind of on the fence when it comes to pornographic content. I am talking about X rated not R...
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded