SUGGESTION: Image info & Stats
LilithDeAnu
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 9:45:45 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: Member, ProSeller

I LOVE that stats that we can now see, and arrange/filter by them for the products: Last Sale; Most Sales; Last View, and so on. I wish we could do the same thing with the images.

The reason I suggest this is because I worked night and day from late Sept. till the end of January making nearly 600 new products, and with the new stats, I found that in all that time I sold only one of those new items, EXCEPT for some of my political stuff (Which only came to about 20 to 30 items since early Oct.) I was working so hard, and felt like I was spinning my wheels, with no traction. I kept thinking it was all in my head, but then I checked, and nope, all that work, and still only my old stuff sold. I am not angry, far from it, but I realize that I could have done no work and would have made the same amount of money as I did.

So, now I realize I need to change how and what I work with and make. Which brings me back to the images. I would like to have an easier way to asses how and which images are doing well, medium, not so well, and not at all. By knowing what products sell best and what images sell best, I can make my development and design time more effective and profitable. At least I think so.

What do you think Zazzle?

Lilith
colorwash
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:30:12 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

I can't imagine how that would work, at least for all the people who create products using multiple images. Additionally, it can sometimes be the product on which an image is placed as opposed to the image itself.
LilithDeAnu
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:29:25 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

colorwash wrote:
I can't imagine how that would work, at least for all the people who create products using multiple images. Additionally, it can sometimes be the product on which an image is placed as opposed to the image itself.

Yes, very true, but it would still help IMHO Smile
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:12:27 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

LilithDeAnu wrote:

I LOVE that stats that we can now see, and arrange/filter by them for the products: Last Sale; Most Sales; Last View, and so on. I wish we could do the same thing with the images.

The reason I suggest this is because I worked night and day from late Sept. till the end of January making nearly 600 new products, and with the new stats, I found that in all that time I sold only one of those new items, EXCEPT for some of my political stuff (Which only came to about 20 to 30 items since early Oct.) I was working so hard, and felt like I was spinning my wheels, with no traction. I kept thinking it was all in my head, but then I checked, and nope, all that work, and still only my old stuff sold. I am not angry, far from it, but I realize that I could have done no work and would have made the same amount of money as I did.

So, now I realize I need to change how and what I work with and make. Which brings me back to the images. I would like to have an easier way to asses how and which images are doing well, medium, not so well, and not at all. By knowing what products sell best and what images sell best, I can make my development and design time more effective and profitable. At least I think so.

What do you think Zazzle?

Lilith

Don't give up on making new designs just yet, the fact that you are seeing older designs sell is an indication that sometimes designs need to be in the marketplace for awhile before someone uses the right search terms to bring it up and view it. I know that once you make a sale that product has better page rank and gets even more views. All the work you just did may not have shown any payback yet but in time some of the new designs you have added will, especially if you are sharing them to social media.

I agree with Colorwash and don't see how image popularity stats would give us any more info than we already get with the stats we have by looking at which products are selling and getting views and going by most viewed most sold etc... if it were possible to give the kind of stats you are talking about it sounds like it would be rife with glitches, more than we already have. I could be wrong but that is mho.
Susannah Keegan
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:11:44 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

LilithDeAnu wrote:

They can (and do) let you sort by how often/recently a product has sold but I don't think this is something they could do with images because they don't sell images, they sell products to which the image has been affixed so they wouldn't have the data you want.

Some products have multiple images (for some designers). To which image would the sale of that product be attributed? Probably most images have multiple products. How do you rank an image's popularity if it sells repeatedly on one product but not on any of the 30 others to which it is affixed?

But I understand your desire for this data. Its' important data to have going forward. But you will have to collect it yourself. I do this by keeping track of which images don't sell at all and of what products a particular image succeeds or fails on. And then I look to see how these images fall into genre categories such as "abstract" or "cute animals" or "nature photos" so I can do more of that sort of image for that sort of product.

This is meaningful data but you will have to be the one who collects it. If you use Windows, the Windows OneNote that comes with Microsoft Office is excellent for this. It lets you copy images onto a page and then type notes onto that page so you can keep a running tally of what products a specific image has sold on (or easily see if it has sold on nothing).
Susannah Keegan
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:28:33 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:
if it were possible to give the kind of stats you are talking about it sounds like it would be rife with glitches, more than we already have. I could be wrong but that is mho.

It sure would since it would be a far more complex algorithm than they are using now to sort product sales. It would have to parse every given sale out into subcategories that accounted for multiple images (when that is done) or no image at all (some designers use pure text plus background color) and then it would have to re-assemble that data to attach it to images rather than the product on which they appeared. Things get glitchy enough without throwing that into the mix.

Even if it was miraculously glitch free, those of us who use multiple images would wind up with weird data that would skew towards the design fragments that get used over and over again. For instance, I use the same clock face on all sorts of different backgrounds to make different clocks. I'm interested in what sort of background sells best on the clocks I make. But this would tell me that the most popular image is the clock face itself. Not the data I wanted but still accurate. So I just keep the track the data myself according to what I want to focus on.
colorwash
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:37:13 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Clock numbers--the perfect example! I've lost count of the clocks I've created, many of them with simple color variations in the numbers. I'd end up with highly popular numbers.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:10:14 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Susannah Keegan wrote:
if it were possible to give the kind of stats you are talking about it sounds like it would be rife with glitches, more than we already have. I could be wrong but that is mho.

It sure would since it would be a far more complex algorithm than they are using now to sort product sales. It would have to parse every given sale out into subcategories that accounted for multiple images (when that is done) or no image at all (some designers use pure text plus background color) and then it would have to re-assemble that data to attach it to images rather than the product on which they appeared. Things get glitchy enough without throwing that into the mix.

Even if it was miraculously glitch free, those of us who use multiple images would wind up with weird data that would skew towards the design fragments that get used over and over again. For instance, I use the same clock face on all sorts of different backgrounds to make different clocks. I'm interested in what sort of background sells best on the clocks I make. But this would tell me that the most popular image is the clock face itself. Not the data I wanted but still accurate. So I just keep the track the data myself according to what I want to focus on.

That was my thinking too, like I use different colored frame images for lots of my monogram products and have even used them to make diamond shaped patterns by tiling them, several of them have sold on napkins, but basically they are just placeholders for the text, so data on these images would not be so helpful as which products are these selling on and which colors are selling.
LilithDeAnu
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:44:55 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

All this is good and valid, BUT, they use to have a box in the "Image" file info window (comes up when you click on an image) that listed all the products the image was used on. That alone would be helpful, but they stopped doing that a year or so ago.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:54:58 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

LilithDeAnu wrote:
All this is good and valid, BUT, they use to have a box in the "Image" file info window (comes up when you click on an image) that listed all the products the image was used on. That alone would be helpful, but they stopped doing that a year or so ago.

I don't remember that and I joined almost 2 years ago. I can see how that could be useful though.
LilithDeAnu
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 12:56:57 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

LilithDeAnu wrote:

I don't remember that and I joined almost 2 years ago. I can see how that could be useful though.

Yap, may be over 2 years ago. The last year was spent mostly bedridden, in pain, so yeah, may have lost a year there. LOL

Yes, I miss that to, and found it very useful when they had it.