Sold Out Items
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 12:39:52 PM
Any idea when all the "sold out" items be back in stock? There are so many items that are showing as sold out. At least 10??? Maybe more but I keep seeing them.
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 2:08:52 PM
Some of them have been sold out for years
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 3:04:06 PM
all of the watches are sold out. didn't realize until a sale was pink tagged. i did well with watches and hope they restock soon.
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 4:16:34 PM
Plates? Porcelain plates will have been completely OOS for a whole year in April...sad, it doesn't take a year to find a replacement...if it's important...if that, in fact, is the issue?!
And now add melamine plates to the list. There goes over 50% of my sales.
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 7:00:26 PM
i suspect that these items are actually discontinued (problems with vendors, maybe?) while zazzle searches for replacements.
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:48:57 AM
I also saw that most of the watches are sold out and those sold pretty good. I hope they bring them back.

There are so many items that have been out of stock for some time, and some have been out for more than 2 years. I've been hiding them, but I'm close to the 100,000 limit so I'm wondering if I should just delete them. I'd probably guess that a good 15,000 + products I have in my store are sold out now. I'm afraid to delete the ones that sold well because it may affect store exposure/ratings.
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:56:40 PM
The watches are printed by someone other than Zazzle. So are the plates, paper napkins, make-a-ball, the 10.5 in. iPad cover, golf ball marker, hat clip, golf glove, divot tool, pen, cap-sac, and gift box. Everything on today's e-mail of sold out products are printed by companies other than Zazzle.

That could mean any number of things. Contracts need to be re-negotiated, maybe. Some might have supply issues. Some may have decided to no longer do business with Z. Who knows?

If something has been out of stock for a year or more, I'd delete it. Especially if you're close to the product limit. That's just me.
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 4:04:50 PM
Stargazer wrote:
If something has been out of stock for a year or more, I'd delete it.

I'm probably going to delete the keyboards and mice, which is a shame. I still get "hits" on them, but it just frustrates the shoppers and me, too.
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 1:24:36 AM
It would be helpful if we would get somewhat of a hint about the reason and a suggestion on how to react, e.g. an expected time frame on temporary supply issues (even if it's just a "may take longer, sorry") and the suggestion to stop designing, if the chances are high, the product gets discontinued.

There is still the possibility to contact the manufacturer directly, but I feel reluctant in doing this, and they may not provide detailed information either, especially if it's a collaboration/negotiation issue.

It's sad to see how many nice and unique gift items are going OOS, many of them with the alarming "completely sold out" remark. I've not really started yet, so I didn't already waste too much time on such products (except for templates and preparations), but many of these items were on my favorite list and integral part of my planned assortment. What a shame.
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 3:58:53 AM
After a couple years here, I started being reluctant to design the newest-latest-greatest additions to the product lineup because they were the ones most likely to go out of stock or be discontinued. It's certainly not Zazzle's fault. It's the suppliers' fault. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have made promises they found out they couldn't keep. But paper is always a good bet. So are the oldies-but-goodies like clocks and pillows.
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 4:49:30 AM
Colorwash wrote:
After a couple years here, I started being reluctant to design the newest-latest-greatest additions to the product lineup because they were the ones most likely to go out of stock or be discontinued. It's certainly not Zazzle's fault. It's the suppliers' fault. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have made promises they found out they couldn't keep. But paper is always a good bet. So are the oldies-but-goodies like clocks and pillows.

Well analyzed. I sometimes ask me, how some manufacturers (printers) can make a decent gain on some products that have a not that high sales price but higher material/manufacturing costs. When you consider, that there are quite a few taking away shares of the product price (product supplier, even if Chinese, manufacturer/printer, Zazzle, Designer, Affiliate) and that this is a single-piece/low-quantity POD service that still needs some individual treatment of some kind. That may work on regular prices, but on the frequent sales up to 50% the revenue per piece will get pretty slim. Look at the watches, that aren't sold at that high regular price, as example.

Paperware and basic merch are a different story. In these cases, higher sales make up for the smaller markup. The paper products are also printed by Z themselves and the material costs are minimal, which grants a way better markup.

This remembers me of our own CD business back in the 90s. We sold our products at 15 to 20$ each, and even if the (pure) production costs of the CDs were only around 1 to 1.50$ each (at a min. quantity of 3000, for boxed variants with manual you had to add 3 to 5$ extra at a min. qty of 5k), selling them individually direct to customers was pretty painful and less rewarding in the long run than having a big store buying thousands at once at 1/3 to 1/2 wholesale price through our publisher and our license share being only 2 bucks each. The higher direct-sale markup wasn't really worth the extra costs, time and hassles.

As you say, it's not Z's fault, but a tad more transparency towards us wouldn't hurt anyone.
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 5:56:34 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
As you say, it's not Z's fault, but a tad more transparency towards us wouldn't hurt anyone.

Whatever they might tell us isn't likely to change anything at all. Zazzle really isn't obligated to tell us anything. Regardless, the facts remain the same--the product is either in limbo or it's no longer with us. If it's in limbo, stop designing for it. If it comes back, and if you trust that it's back to stay, then design for it.
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 9:20:46 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Whatever they might tell us isn't likely to change anything at all. Zazzle really isn't obligated to tell us anything. Regardless, the facts remain the same--the product is either in limbo or it's no longer with us. If it's in limbo, stop designing for it. If it comes back, and if you trust that it's back to stay, then design for it.

You're absolutely right with regard to Zazzle's obligations. Your designing advice makes sense, too. Unless you're going a bit further than simply designing, then it makes a difference if a product is only in limbo for some time or is gone for good. There is a reason, my store is still empty/outdated and I'm begging for some improvements here and there. I'll show you when time comes. Just that: Z fits my needs and requirements almost perfectly and no one else comes close. And when it happens to me to find the right partner, it becomes a longterm partnership. That's why I may sound overly concerned and nitpicking sometimes.
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 10:04:22 PM
Digitalbcon wrote:
Plates? Porcelain plates will have been completely OOS for a whole year in April...sad, it doesn't take a year to find a replacement...if it's important...if that, in fact, is the issue?!
And now add melamine plates to the list. There goes over 50% of my sales.

I was creating a kitchen set for a customer...she did not want the paper plate. Not everyone uses a paper plate. It would be good if Z would offer a plate (other than paper)

I hope they find a replacement.
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 9:41:44 AM
Is there another company similar to Zazzle that I can join????? Between all the technical issues and so many items that we can design BUT CAN'T SELL, it looks like Zazzle will not be in business much longer.
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 9:43:50 AM
AND MAYBE THE COULD CLEAN UP THEIR INVENTORY SO THAT ONLY AVAILABLE ITEMS SHOW UP???????
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 9:46:32 AM
AND why isn't Zazzle responding to this thread?
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 10:33:01 AM
To clean up the inventory would cost Zazzle millions upon millions of links that have previously been created.

They must have data that suggests that bringing the customer to Zazzle through one of the oss products leads to the customer browsing more of Zazzle, not going away.

With the transfer option on most products, it is not hard to move that design to another product.

And I imagine that removing millions of products (product pages) may somehow negatively effect there ranking in search engines.

--

I'm not in the know, but those 2 thoughts make sense in my head
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 1:56:32 PM
Well for instance, if they have no plans to bring back watches, they should make that announcement and all of us would delete those collections/products. They should also remove it from the "create this" pages. Why should we keep products in OUR stores that will never be available again.
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:49:33 PM
joyce baldassarre wrote:
Well for instance, if they have no plans to bring back watches, they should make that announcement and all of us would delete those collections/products. They should also remove it from the "create this" pages. Why should we keep products in OUR stores that will never be available again.

I looked into the watch company. Pretty sure the watches are made in China. With the virus outbreak they may not be able to have the watches built or at least shipped right now.

I agree with you on telling us. It would be a professional courtesy.

Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:22:45 PM
JB Designs wrote:
joyce baldassarre wrote:

I looked into the watch company. Pretty sure the watches are made in China. With the virus outbreak they may not be able to have the watches built or at least shipped right now.

I received notification about the out of stock items in the regular Associate News email from Elizabeth P, sent 2/5/20.
Smile
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:24:41 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
JB Designs wrote:
joyce baldassarre wrote:

I received notification about the out of stock items in the regular Associate News email from Elizabeth P, sent 2/5/20.
Smile

True, but for designers that are not part of the program and haven't signed up for the emails, they are left out of the loop.
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:38:00 PM
JB Designs wrote:
To clean up the inventory would cost Zazzle millions upon millions of links that have previously been created.

They must have data that suggests that bringing the customer to Zazzle through one of the oss products leads to the customer browsing more of Zazzle, not going away.

With the transfer option on most products, it is not hard to move that design to another product.

And I imagine that removing millions of products (product pages) may somehow negatively effect there ranking in search engines.

--

I'm not in the know, but those 2 thoughts make sense in my head

Yep, your thoughts definitely make sense.