Sharing Private Collections
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:36:09 AM
Hello Designers,

We'd love to hear your thoughts on 2 things:

1. Would you like the ability to share a Private Collection?
2. Would you like to add a private product to a public collection and have that product be visible?

Feel free to give us your reasons, pros, cons, examples, etc. Your input is very appreciative!

Thank you!
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:45:01 AM
I really think this would be a fantastic idea.

As a portrait photographer, to have a client see their photos on items, I have to either direct link them, or they have to allow permission for the products to be visible for their family to choose.

I usually lose them when I have to individually link products, and it's hyper intensive on my side. If I could make the products private, add to a collection, and have the direct link from the collection show the direct link of the products to the client who got the link, that's a Win-Win.

Just to clarify, you are asking about private products, like for club activities, reunions, church camps, fund raisers, etc, NOT public products from other designers we would add to our own collections, correct?
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:21:16 AM
Oh, yes! This would get my vote.

I haven't really figured out how to put collections to maximum potential because everything included must be public. At least that's how I understand it.

There are many designs (probably in the hundreds now) that I sell or present to certain clients exclusively, and other B2B networking partners such as wedding professionals and event coordinators. I would LOVE to build Zazzle collections to present to them privately. I've basically been doing this on my own for a while -- setting the products to Direct Only and then displaying them as collections on my own web pages. This has been excessively time consuming and I have not had the opportunity to do this as frequently as I would like. So, yes, I would love to have the ability to share Private Collections! Love

Christine, one question ... when you say "add a private product to a public collection and have it be visible," do you mean it would be visible only in that collection, or would it also become visible in the MP as well?

Thanks so much for considering this option as a real possibility, and for asking for our input on this. Roses
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:25:03 AM
Yes for #1 & 2 for me. If it allows us more freedom to work with them and then sharing them, I'm all for it.
Grin
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:25:28 AM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:

Just to clarify, you are asking about private products, like for club activities, reunions, church camps, fund raisers, etc, NOT public products from other designers we would add to our own collections, correct?

Correct

SquirrelHugger wrote:

Christine, one question ... when you say "add a private product to a public collection and have it be visible," do you mean it would be visible only in that collection, or would it also become visible in the MP as well?

Only in that collection
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:27:56 AM
Cool! Thanks, Christine! I so hope this happens Grin
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:44:46 AM
Yes to #1 for me! It would be so helpful when making custom wedding sets for my customers. Right now I have to send emails full of direct only links and it can be a little awkward. The ability to send a private collection to the client instead would be wonderful!

As far as #2, I can't think of any uses for that personally at the moment, but I might not be thinking it through correctly.
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:19:40 PM
At the moment I am having a hard time thinking of when I personally would need these features but I am in favor of more options that make things easier on us whether I need it right now or not...and I can see how much many designers out there who get lots of special orders really do need it. Especially the part where they could make a product visible only in a public collection and not in the marketplace... So all that to say +1
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:47:26 PM
Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:
At the moment I am having a hard time thinking of when I personally would need these features but I am in favor of more options that make things easier on us whether I need it right now or not...... So all that to say +1

Dittoed
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:01:17 PM
At the moment I am having a hard time thinking of when I personally would need these features but I am in favor of more options that make things easier on us whether I need it right now or not...and I can see how much many designers out there who get lots of special orders really do need it. Especially the part where they could make a product visible only in a public collection and not in the marketplace... So all that to say +1

+1
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:35:38 PM
Gina wrote:

+1

Some examples:
You are doing a charity walk for a cause, and want your team to all have the same tees, so you create them and they are responsible for them and their family purchases. Not necessarily wanting to advertise Tina's Tiny Toppers as anything other than the club the specific members belong to.

You're responsible for bumper stickers, tees, coffee cups, keychains, for your company picnic. It's a small company, and you want to present your product ideas to your board of directors for approval and purchase. So you "direct Link Only" the products, create your collection, and it's presented, in full, to the board, but not necessarily to the general public.

Your best friend wants to have a party, and wants you to design it, so you do, but she wants it unique to her for her event, so you create products just for her to pick and choose from, but not available to the market.

*this happened to me recently* Friend's pet was old and getting feeble, so he took some pictures of her, and asked me to make some products for his family to choose from. I used his photo of his dog, and they were direct linked to him only.

Just for starters, those are a few scenarios that might arise...
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:13:06 AM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:

Some examples:
You are doing a charity walk for a cause, and want your team to all have the same tees, so you create them and they are responsible for them and their family purchases. Not necessarily wanting to advertise Tina's Tiny Toppers as anything other than the club the specific members belong to.

You're responsible for bumper stickers, tees, coffee cups, keychains, for your company picnic. It's a small company, and you want to present your product ideas to your board of directors for approval and purchase. So you "direct Link Only" the products, create your collection, and it's presented, in full, to the board, but not necessarily to the general public.

Your best friend wants to have a party, and wants you to design it, so you do, but she wants it unique to her for her event, so you create products just for her to pick and choose from, but not available to the market.

*this happened to me recently* Friend's pet was old and getting feeble, so he took some pictures of her, and asked me to make some products for his family to choose from. I used his photo of his dog, and they were direct linked to him only.

Excellent examples! I'm more definite about my Yes answers, especially now.
Idea Grin
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:30:46 AM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:
Gina wrote:

+1

Some examples:

Thanks for the examples! I guess this could also apply for the Zazzler who recently asked how to set up a "members only" store... I suggested an unpromoted store with DO products only linked to a website that was members only but private collections would work too.
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:02:55 PM
Thanks for the examples, RGebbiePhoto!

Anyone else have thoughts for or against this, please continue to post. I sent this thread to our developers so they are reading your insights on this.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 1:02:56 AM
I have been experimenting using collections with Highton Ridley's Nifty Tools to pull products for a website. I am working with collections so I can put together selections of my own and other Zazzler's products. However this only works if the collections are Public, so a Direct-only option would be very useful for this. At the moment I risk having my Profile cluttered up with dozens of extra collections that I really don't need or want anyone else to see.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 7:04:25 AM
Jules wrote:
I have been experimenting using collections with Highton Ridley's Nifty Tools to pull products for a website. I am working with collections so I can put together selections of my own and other Zazzler's products. However this only works if the collections are Public, so a Direct-only option would be very useful for this. At the moment I risk having my Profile cluttered up with dozens of extra collections that I really don't need or want anyone else to see.

I have an affiliate site that I built using exclusively the Nifty live grids.It never really bothered me having the extra collections on my profile because I can set them not to show in my store but I can see how it would be helpful to be able to set them to private, so you have shown me a reason why I personally could use the private collections feature that I never even thought of.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 3:40:06 PM
Glad to be useful!

Another issue I have currently is that these mixed collections I am making are also visible on my product pages. This creates yet more clutter for potential customers, and more enticement for them to be drawn away to look at someone else's products.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 5:15:25 PM
Christine when you say private product, does that mean a hidden product?

I would actually find this quite useful. There are a few products which I would like to hide from the store and marketplace but add to a collection and promote said collection.