Shared Royalty Structure 15 pages: First ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:17:44 AM
We have to have normal opt outs in the settings area

it is not acceptable to expect us to redo all of the products we have already published.

It is cruel for Zazzle not to give us opt outs.
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:20:33 AM
Opt outs would be fantastic. I am thinking redo everything as I had planned but I want a much smaller product choice. I just have to figure out what products to leave off my list.
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:23:20 AM
PaperGrape wrote:
Regarding the potential eventual inclusion of a secondary content widget within the MP design tool, which currently appears to be planned based on the commission structure in the terms:

1.) I DO want end-users to be able to edit my designs to the extent it allows them to properly place the text they need (especially with the old text constraints in place), for color changes, maybe adding a photo, and if they WANT to mess around with the design or start from scratch on my MP product with THEIR OWN files and art - is fine by me (barely, LOL), as that places full responsibility onto the customer regarding things they added themselves.

2.) But to have them be able to grab from a monstrous bank of content provided by Zazzle (in the customer’s eyes) I see several potential practical problems for Z's printing/production, customer service load in addition to the designer concerns already mentioned many times over:

1 - anyone trying to match metals/glitters and designs with effects like that will end up with a mish-mash of shades on 1 product, which are not very obvious on-screen. Anyone with printing experience knows how finicky those types of art are to print.
My gold may be warmer than a Secondary Content gold element. Next to each other, they would look "mismatched" to the customer receiving the printed product. My rose gold will not match another's. There is a very large textural variety amongst designers' versions of “faux foil”.

Yes, I know this can happen with customer-uploaded art as well, but follow below...

2 - Our MP products would now subject to people reviewing them or cancelling orders based on colors/shades of content they added directly from Zazzle. It would no longer (or less so) be the case a customer could realize that the files they THEMSELVES added may not have been the best quality or a correct match. Because they would have grabbed something from the Zazzle bank of secondary content, it will probably be expected that they will “match”, especially those metallic and glitters.

Remember that while many designers work from the stance that it’s “their artwork” and “their store” - they typical customer is usually only thinking that things are “from Zazzle” (similar to how even large media publications who should know better still only credit products they feature as being "from Etsy” without crediting the shop name, even some 15 years later).

In a case of a color mis-match, they'll be more likely to assume something wasn't right with the printing or file that Z offered, and are now able leave that type of comment in a review on MY original product that they’d started with, or cancel/return the order.

3 - Of course, no designer should be forced to pay another designer for their designs to be edited/added to, not even a few pennies per print. It's a customer's option to do so.

4 - What happens when an end user starts with a MP product, deletes it all, then adds 15 secondary content items?

Now the original MP product designer again has a potential for a product review of their product, potentially with a photo uploaded by the customer. Another customer sees it and happens to like it, but cannot find anything like it in that designer’s shop or in the Marketplace = lost customer.

This scenario is not impossible or highly unlikely, based on some things I've seen "in the wild" on Instagram and also my own products, and based on many years with a separate stationery business as well.

If I missed any news about this, please let me know, it's getting hard to keep up. Smile

+1 to all this

More reasons I do not want anyone adding any secondary content to my designs

I only want an opt out.
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:37:51 AM
4 - What happens when an end user starts with a MP product, deletes it all, then adds 15 secondary content items?

Then they end up with a product that only they can buy, which if they do, you get your commission anyway....

People can already do this under the regular tools.... it's just that they wouldn't have those 15 elements in a palette on the side of the screen, they'd have to upload them. Someone in another forum was having just this problem - they'd taken someone else product and deleted everything off it to make their own designs instead of starting with a product blank (long ago under the normal customize function). They were having a fit wondering why they couldn't now publish it and after it was explained were freaking out about their stuff ending up in someone else's store - which can't happen.
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:42:26 AM
Invincible Penguin wrote:

Then they end up with a product that only they can buy, which if they do you get your commission anyway....

People can already do this under the regular tools.... it's just that they wouldn't have those 15 elements in a palette on the side of the screen, they'd have to upload them. Someone in another forum was having just this problem - they'd taken someone else product and deleted everything off it to make their own designs instead of starting with a product blank (long ago under the normal customize function). They were having a fit wondering why they couldn't now publish it and after it was explained were freaking out about their stuff ending up in someone else's store - which can't happen.

yes but you still have to share the royalty. up to the maximum and none of your design is left and if it ends up being a horrible mess that the customer is unhappy with, guess who gets the bad review.

so a bad review ends up costing you 25% of your commission...

we need opt outs.
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:07:48 AM
Invincible Penguin wrote:

Then they end up with a product that only they can buy, which if they do, you get your commission anyway....

But now you have to pay for it. That's the difference.
(plus the points mentioned by PaperGrape)
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:20:31 AM
I'm not happy with the copycatting in the MP anyway, even so far as word-for-word titles and tags. It's outrageous. At least now with the royalty share it will be legitimate and we get to keep a piece of the pie. I don't like the royalty share.

Has the "in perpetuity" wording changed? Can we close our store after the holiday season, and if we find one of our items through a link after we close our store and it's still active in the MP is Zazzle liable? I think having to make a list of our items when closing a store is absurd, simply closing the store and sending notice should suffice.

I thought they are supposed to announce any changes to the agreement? It sounds like there has been updates but no announcement under News.
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:05:56 PM
northwest4art wrote:

I thought they are supposed to announce any changes to the agreement? It sounds like there has been updates but no announcement under News.

I thought so too. I have seen many changes over the past few days but nothing announcing those changes.

Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:10:56 PM
@Shelli - I have no idea what is going on and taken-aback by no response to concerns expressed by designers (they said they would answer questions) or an announcement of changes made to the Agreement.
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:14:05 PM
northwest4art wrote:
@Shelli - I have no idea what is going on and taken-aback by no response to concerns expressed by designers (they said they would answer questions) or an announcement of changes made to the Agreement.

I know, the last official post was 11/13 it is now 11/21.

That is 8 days.

Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:37:48 PM
@Shelli - maybe they quit or think it's futile at this point to say "thank you for the feedback, we hear you and will try to answer questions soon." Shocked

Any word from Zazzle at this point would be better than no word at all (in keeping with the collaborative sentiment).
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 7:39:59 AM
🌼Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

it is not acceptable to expect us to redo all of the products we have already published.

I wish we could just get a straight answer regarding opt outs...

why does this need to be "noted and passed along"

This is the same issue over and over again and it feels like you just file it under "ignore" every time.

Did you know that if I just had a way to make personal choices about what I allow regarding the features you offer here I would never have a reason to complain about them? Now you know how to get me to stop being so vocal...
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 11:02:11 AM

+1

And I would add - the ability to change these settings in individual products after publishing, too.
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 11:41:29 AM
buxmontweb wrote:

+1

And I would add - the ability to change these settings in individual products after publishing, too.

+1 for both comments
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 2:46:47 PM
Posted October 24.
James C wrote:

• Will you allow us to turn off allowing customization? I am looking into that. James C

• @Zazzle - How is this coming along? Have we looked into it yet?
    Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 11:09:56 PM
    -·-

Just to be clear I want to keep customization, I don't want to pay for customers adding extras and I don't want to be exposed to infringement liability because my profile image and secondary content appear side by side and I am affiliated / become a co promoter for secondary content I have no control over.

Since zazzle finally sealed the leak I don't mind collaboration, even if the collaborators can bring in their own set of secondary content containing infringements / IP violations, because that is on them, I'm no longer the co-promoter to zazzle in such a case.

I STILL DON'T WANT TO PAY THE EXTRAS FOR THE CUSTOMERS.

Customization is necessary to fix problems with personalized elements and to change colors. I want to see the problems with secondary content be separated from customization.

SERIOUSLY
    -·-

Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 1:26:17 AM
    This loose end is still a problem for me.

While I’m happy about the collaboration changes I still want an opt out on the secondary content and royalty share.

We need to be able to have customization enabled for the shoppers sake, but it is still wrong to make us primary designers pay for their extras so you give us no other choice but to risk increased cancellations or lost sales which might end up costing you more than if you just pay for the free extras yourself, Zazzle.

Or better yet, charge the customer for it.

Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:05:27 AM

While I’m happy about the collaboration changes I still want an opt out on the secondary content and royalty share.

We need to be able to have customization enabled for the shoppers sake, but it is still wrong to make us primary designers pay for their extras so you give us no other choice but to risk increased cancellations or lost sales which might end up costing you more than if you just pay for the free extras yourself, Zazzle.

+1 ^this and +1 @Viv.

Recreating with Customize off and dealing with Collections changes because of it is cruel and unusual punishment for something we should be able to change easily.

Opt out.
    Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 10:04:54 AM
    RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

+1 ^this and +1 @Viv.

Recreating with Customize off and dealing with Collections changes because of it is cruel and unusual punishment for something we should be able to change easily.

Opt out.

+1

Allowing customization should not be linked to allowing collaboration/secondary content and royalty carveouts. We need separate global opt-ins/opt-outs and the ability to change these settings on already published products both globally and per individual product.
    Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 12:21:43 PM
    buxmontweb wrote:
    Allowing customization should not be linked to allowing collaboration/secondary content and royalty carveouts. We need separate global opt-ins/opt-outs and the ability to change these settings on already published products both globally and per individual product.

+1
    Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 1:52:25 PM
    buxmontweb wrote:
    RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

+1 ^this and +1 @Viv.

Opt out.

+1

+1 and amen
    Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 3:36:23 AM
    So as not to forget this is still an issue, this needs a bump.

Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 4:19:15 AM
    Marketplace Content + Images: The Designer of the Marketplace Content receives seventy-five percent (75%) of the Royalty, and all Designer(s) of Image(s) equally split a pool of the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) of the Royalty.

Has anyone seen anything that has changed the above.

Can someone still come in add infinitesimal, virtually invisible content to our MP design and walk away with 25% of our royalty?

The way I see it the only option to stop it would be the OPT OUT asked for so many times.
    Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:06:59 PM
    So, the plan is what, @Zazzle? To just not answer any of the question Designers have asked over multiple weeks and threads and cross your fingers that we will just forget we had questions in the first place? That doesn't seem like an effective way for Zazzle to run its business, and I know it's not an effective way to run mine.

- How is the Shared Royalty calculated?

- Has James C. taken the time to find out whether we will be able to turn off customization by Store, globally, or from Edit?

- It was said early on there would be no opt out to permitting Secondary Content, but asking again because that was before many more Designers spoke up and requested due to a variety of reasons - can we please get an opt out?

- Will Zazzle step up and pay its Designers for Secondary instead of making other Designers do it?
    Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:00:00 PM
    Code:
    RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
    So, the plan is what, @Zazzle? To just not answer any of the question Designers have asked over multiple weeks and threads and cross your fingers that we will just forget we had questions in the first place? That doesn't seem like an effective way for Zazzle to run its business, and I know it's not an effective way to run mine.

- How is the Shared Royalty calculated?

- Has James C. taken the time to find out whether we will be able to turn off customization by Store, globally, or from Edit?

- It was said early on there would be no opt out to permitting Secondary Content, but asking again because that was before many more Designers spoke up and requested due to a variety of reasons - can we please get an opt out?

- Will Zazzle step up and pay its Designers for Secondary instead of making other Designers do it?

Yes.

Answers please.

And opt outs!

Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:13:01 AM
    Zazzle, I came to Zazzle because I wanted to sell my designs on products and your website said (and still says) you can facillitate this: you will take care for my artwork to be printed/shipped/customerservice and I pay you by means of your mark-up.
    THAT is the reason I came here and trusted my artwork and time to your company. And I am happy with the amount of sales I have and the way my designs are. And when I am not, it should be my own decision what I want to do to improve them.

The idea that you are now deciding for me that my sales are not enough and my artwork is not enough and you are therefor adding other designers elements without my consent and make me pay for them, is really absurd and goes against everything that you tell people that your company is about and why most of us are here.

If you want to offer extra's to your customers you should eighter pay for them yourself, let the customer pay for it, or give us the option to decide for ourselves if we want them, and then I would be happy to pay for them. So please respond to our questions and give us an opt-in/opt-out, Thanks!

Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:41:13 AM
    Funcards wrote:
    Zazzle, I came to Zazzle because I wanted to sell my designs on products and your website said (and still says) you can facillitate this: you will take care for my artwork to be printed/shipped/customerservice and I pay you by means of your mark-up.
    THAT is the reason I came here and trusted my artwork and time to your company. And I am happy with the amount of sales I have and the way my designs are. And when I am not, it should be my own decision what I want to do to improve them.

The idea that you are now deciding for me that my sales are not enough and my artwork is not enough and you are therefor adding other designers elements without my consent and make me pay for them, is really absurd and goes against everything that you tell people that your company is about and why most of us are here.

If you want to offer extra's to your customers you should eighter pay for them yourself, let the customer pay for it, or give us the option to decide for ourselves if we want them, and then I would be happy to pay for them. So please respond to our questions and give us an opt-in/opt-out, Thanks!

+1
    Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:00:22 AM
    Funcards wrote:

+1
    Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:29:49 AM
    Funcards wrote:

+1
    Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:48:36 AM
    Funcards wrote:

If you want to offer extra's to your customers you should either pay for them yourself, let the customer pay for it, or give us the option to decide for ourselves if we want them, and then I would be happy to pay for them. So please respond to our questions and give us an opt-in/opt-out, Thanks!

Pretty much! Not happy with recent events and the set back it cost me and the trust part with art is not restored by a long shot.

But investing time into zazzle, making beautiful things, that is still true and then leaning back and enjoying the sales stats, that is still my main motivation to do POD and not drop shipping. And definitely seeing a drop in revenue because customers add stuff is clearly not adding to my satisfaction as a zazzle partner.

So +1, me too.