Search results for "wedding" really odd
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 6:13:42 AM
Today I went to type in the word "wedding" and there was no auto population of suggested search terms. I then typed in "wedding reception" and got this page. From what I can see the page which I was provided with is just the general wedding search term.
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 9:17:02 AM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
Today I went to type in the word "wedding" and there was no auto population of suggested search terms. I then typed in "wedding reception" and got this page. From what I can see the page which I was provided with is just the general wedding search term.

I think it's because there's an "s" in your url.

Try https://www.zazzle.com/c/weddings

(I think the "c" is for customer's search and the "s" is for the search engine)
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 10:11:11 AM
Thanks for your input.

I understand there is a difference but I wonder if customers get a choice whether they have a "c" or an "s" while they are searching?

I certainly didn't add the "s" to my search why would the system think I was a search engine?

What are my customers getting? An "s" or a "c"?
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 10:17:00 AM
The "c" is for bots (fewer hits), the "s" for human searches (all hits)
"s" is the default for manual searching.

I just checked you "Wedding reception" search

s=2,224,496 results
c=583,789 results
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 10:30:48 AM
BKMuir wrote:

s=2,224,496 results
c=583,789 results

Thanks for clarifying! I wasn't sure myself tho' I knew there was a difference just not which way round it was
Roses
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 10:35:05 AM
Thanks for your input.

I understand there is a difference but I wonder if customers get a choice whether they have a "c" or an "s" while they are searching?

I certainly didn't add the "s" to my search why would the system think I was a search engine?

What are my customers getting? An "s" or a "c"?

Not sure which one your customer's are getting. If you google "Zazzle Gifts" and scroll down, I see a "c" in one of the urls. But others don't have an "s"

Am sure you'll get the right answer (just not from me Laughing )

Roses
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 12:57:59 PM
Thanks BKMuir for the quick and dirty description.

I can tell this new way of searching is going to be a PIA for me now.

mothersdaisy wrote:

Am sure you'll get the right answer (just not from me Laughing )

Roses

Hey, I won't fault you for trying. Laughing

But seriously, how is a customer suppose to find the wedding reception cards if they get the same results as I did?
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 1:13:51 PM

But seriously, how is a customer support to find the wedding reception cards if they get the same results as I did?

Really! they are not going to know to add an S or a C to the url...

What happened to the days when you type something in and the search engine found it for you?

all these fancy algorithms seem to mess it up worse... imo.
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 5:13:38 PM
The whole C vs S thing, I suppose is an answer for the "where's my product" question.
But that way of searching isn't something a customer would be doing at all.

I got the same results searching "wedding reception"
- the first few items returned are a thank you card, and some bridal shower invitations. Followed by general wedding invitations.

I'm not certain that most customers will add "insert card" to their search, they probably just type "reception card" or something like that.

If you are looking for general reception misc cards, signage, table numbers, etc... I guess they have to enter the exact item they want, one at a time.

"Reception" must be one of those "blocked keywords"?
Because the search results return exactly the same thing when just typing in "wedding".
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 12:36:47 AM
BKMuir wrote:

s=2,224,496 results
c=583,789 results

I get the 'c' result when searching while logged into Zazzle, and I am not a bot. I get the 's' results when logged out of Zazzle and using a different device.

I think the 'c' results are Zazzle's 'selected designs' and the 's' results are the whole population as seen via Google.

Search

'bee gift tags' logged in and out of your device.

Logged in you get 124 results (c selection)
Logged out or identified as a search engine .. you get over 2000

None of my bee tags show in the 'c' seleection (marketplace selection) despite being in top of the search engine results (as they sell).

I think this is Zazzle's way of ensuring the best designs show up for the customers logged in, but that's not neccessarily happenning?

It's very confusing I agree.
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 4:40:20 AM
From James on /c/ vs /s/...fyi...

James C wrote:
Zazzle is constantly optimizing both the customer’s experience and the search engine experience. As you may know, Google, Bing and other websites crawl our website links to learn about our products; they don’t search for them. Customers on the other hand almost always search for them by putting in search terms like “phone grips” in our search bar.

Because we have to serve two different users (customers and search engines) we have decided to optimize each user’s experience differently. The url you reported https://www.zazzle.com/c/phone+grips?f_si=250692501813267351 is one optimized for search engines that crawl the header links. You can tell by the fact there is a /c/ in the URL.

This url https://www.zazzle.com/s/phone+grips?f_si=250692501813267351 is one optimized for customers and is how we handle customers searching for products. You can tell by the fact there is a /s/ in the URL.

You may notice that the second URL”/s/” shows all your products as it is the one that most customers would see since customers search for products, they don’t crawl URLs like search engines do.

Why are there less products in the category “/c/” URL? Because we have to strike a delicate balance of too much versus not enough content with the search engines who tend to crawl the /c/ URLs. They are constantly changing their algorithms and we have to react accordingly to make sure Zazzle keeps our top rankings in order to drive the most customers to Zazzle.

I know this was a bit of a long description but I wanted to give you some details into why you are seeing this difference. If you are checking for product listings in the marketplace make sure the /s/ is in the URL as the products in the /c/ URLs are constantly being optimized to drive more traffic to our site via SEO and hence, more traffic to our Designers.

James C
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 9:16:18 AM
Hi Designers,

/c/ is a category search and only results from that category show up. /s/ is a more broad search that can include many categories.

The website exposes different search results at different times and places depending on extensive testing that is always ongoing, but the purpose is to always increase sales for our designers. Those optimizations may not make sense to someone who is using the site like Designers tend to, but they deliver more customers to more products that they will buy.

We do not expect customers to enter a /c/ or /s/ in the url, that is something we do to organize the results. Also there are times when there is no /c/ or /s/ in the url and there may be more changes in the future.

I cannot give you all the reasons why we present different url structures because 1) it is part of business strategy that I cannot discus publicly and 2) it always changes as we optimize our site for customers and search engines and 3) you may be seeing different results that someone else due to AB testing.

I apologize for any confusion, and really appreciate you reporting your findings as our Designer community gives us great insight into potential problems with our site. In this instance, however, things seem to be functioning as planned.

James C

Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 10:47:37 AM

FYI I was not addressing this comment in my response above.

We are looking into this.

James C
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 1:03:09 PM
James C wrote:

FYI I was not addressing this comment in my response above.

We are looking into this.

James C

TY Roses