Null or Transparent Text
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 1:56:11 AM
Would it be possible to add a "null" or "transparent" color choice for text so that a background pattern might show through a layer immediately below/behind the text layer? For example, I sometimes add a vertical stripe to each side of leggings and place text on top of the stripe. I would like the background pattern to show through the stripe in place of monochrome text. In case my explanation is not clear I have posted an example below (Note the subtle attempt to influence Zazzle's decision makers Stick out tongue). Alternatively, if that is already possible, please let me know how it is done.

Click on the image to view full-sized.

Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 3:42:13 AM
The only way to do what you're dreaming of would be to turn text into a mask, which is a somewhat complicated operation performed by full-blown image software. It's doubtful an online design tool can accomplish this, and so as far as I know, you'd have to do it on your computer and then upload it, meaning the text could not be turned into a template.

The best you can do would be to use one of the few outline fonts, which wouldn't accomplish quite what you're seeking, but can certainly be used to good effect.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 4:14:56 AM
Colorwash wrote:
The only way to do what you're dreaming of would be to turn text into a mask, which is a somewhat complicated operation performed by full-blown image software. It's doubtful an online design tool can accomplish this, and so as far as I know, you'd have to do it on your computer and then upload it, meaning the text could not be turned into a template.

The best you can do would be to use one of the few outline fonts, which wouldn't accomplish quite what you're seeking, but can certainly be used to good effect.

Correct, a mask. I used a mask to make the sample image. I can always hope; maybe Zazzle's people can figure out a way to do it.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 6:36:57 AM
One day.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 7:57:47 AM
That would be awesome if it were possible!
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 8:01:57 AM
thanks for your feedback. Noted Grin
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 12:55:11 PM
That would be awesome. Or some kind of fade filter for text and images that let you chose the transparency level. 100% to 50%
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 12:16:06 AM
awfultees wrote:
That would be awesome. Or some kind of fade filter for text and images that let you chose the transparency level. 100% to 50%

A fade function would be greatly appreciated a well. To get the same result I use a white image with transparency set to 90 or 95 percent. Placing that image infront of/above a base layer gives you a fade effect.

Stacking multiple copies (layers) will progressively increase the fade.
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 12:17:05 AM
James wrote:

That would really make my day. Love
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 1:03:13 AM
Bluestar48 wrote:
James wrote:

That would really make my day. Love

Introducing masking not just to text but to shapes and SVGs would make my day, too. Foremost to text, since I can do masks with shapes easily in my vector program but custom text is a different story.

-Love-
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 4:24:18 AM
Didn't we for a short time have transparency that we could set for text concurrent with having the same ability with something else--perhaps it was shapes? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but still...
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 9:20:06 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Didn't we for a short time have transparency that we could set for text concurrent with having the same ability with something else--perhaps it was shapes? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but still...

Maybe you're seeing the future.
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 9:22:55 AM
Like a cookie cutter cut out eh? Instead of adding it's subtracting.
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 10:42:35 AM
We did have the opacity setting for text for a short while. I suddenly remembered why it was stuck in my head. I made this reunion card with it:

Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 8:16:28 PM
Colorwash wrote:
We did have the opacity setting for text for a short while. I suddenly remembered why it was stuck in my head. I made this reunion card with it:

We also had this for shapes for a short time. I designed a few things with it.

Ooooohhh, being able to have text masks in the Zazzle design tool is definitely only my wish list!

Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 2:51:14 AM
Karen, I forgot about being able to change opacity in shapes!

Zazzle? You probably eliminated it because there were problems with it. I hope you're working to correct those problems!
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 6:03:36 AM
Colorwash wrote:

Zazzle? You probably eliminated it because there were problems with it. I hope you're working to correct those problems!

Yes. When opacity got yanked for a second time a mod said that it was not working out for some printing. Some designers then posted that on products they had ordered with transparency, areas that had been set to mostly transparent printed as 100% transparent and areas that had been set to only a little transparent printed as a solid color. Another designer posted that it looked fine on paper products.

Possible fixes???

-maybe narrow the range of opacity parameters so it can't get too close to 0% or 100%
-maybe only offer it on specific products such as paper
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 8:22:30 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Yes. When opacity got yanked for a second time a mod said that it was not working out for some printing. Some designers then posted that on products they had ordered with transparency, areas that had been set to mostly transparent printed as 100% transparent and areas that had been set to only a little transparent printed as a solid color. Another designer posted that it looked fine on paper products.

Possible fixes???

-maybe narrow the range of opacity parameters so it can't get too close to 0% or 100%

That was me about the paper, and I was using my own 50% transparency images as a layer, specifically for stationery and monograms.

I actually ordered two products that I used that method on and they came out great. I did reviews with photos of the stationery and envelopes I bought that are published on my store page.

I don't think I ever got a chance to test out the built in transparency because it was so short lived.
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2018 8:10:25 AM
Transparency would be so useful.
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2018 7:58:07 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Possible fixes???

Get a better printer.