New Zazzle Home Page Look 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 1:28:02 PM
Just wanted to say that I really love the new look of the Zazzle Homepage with the new banners, especially the blue banner at the top of the page that brings attention to the latest sales and promo code. Thanks!
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 2:11:01 PM
northwestphotos wrote:
Just wanted to say that I really love the new look of the Zazzle Homepage with the new banners, especially the blue banner at the top of the page that brings attention to the latest sales and promo code. Thanks!

Ah! I finally see it today. I like it too.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 2:15:43 PM
The blue reminds me of way back Windows... and the theme looks like a cell phone layout.

I am neutral...
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 2:27:03 PM
Not that it matters, but sorry, I'm not a fan. It's the blue. To me, it's too bold and looks out of place. I feel it somewhat cheapens (sorry!) the look. A more subtle blue would be softer and nicer. Just my two cents, not that it's worth anything.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 2:39:45 PM
Since I've already been "labeled," I'll throw some pennies in the fountain too.

- It looks like every other site out there.

- It's not obvious that the three lines to the left of the logo will show a fly-out with product offerings.

- So due to above, as a user, I'm thinking the menu bar lists everything and it doesn't. I can search, and we all know how that works out, or I can click each menu item, see what's on the page, go back, try again.

"Improvement" isn't a word I would use.

Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 2:57:40 PM
I don't care for the flip-flopping. One page is the old way, another is the new way. It's messing with me.

I do, however, like the new homepage setup.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 3:13:53 PM
"search for products or designs" -- Thank You Zazzle for changing the search bar wording.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 3:53:04 PM
ThePinkRibbonShoppe wrote:
"search for products or designs" -- Thank You Zazzle for changing the search bar wording.


I missed that part and have to mention it since I was such a strong critic of the "what do you want to make today"

so to the search box text... much better!

Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 3:53:26 PM
ThePinkRibbonShoppe wrote:
"search for products or designs" -- Thank You Zazzle for changing the search bar wording.


Agreed! Big improvement there!
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 3:58:27 PM
I haven't poked around all the new layout yet but so far I am a fan!
I like that the sale/specials notice is at the very to of the page now and am fine with the blue which together with being at the top makes it almost impossible to miss but still easy to read. Also it seems like something that would be easy to change on the fly so they could change the color as often as desired to better match whatever current theme/color scheme of products they have curated for the front page that week.

I suppose it depends on how experienced you are with sites & apps but I think the 3-line icon signifying a menu to open is pretty standard these days. I like that when you open it there is a clear "Create Your Own" at the top which takes you to real Zazzle blanks and not "spoofs" designers put out that often trip up even other designers. I like that the new Create is in its own clear section of the menu BUT I see this as being confusing to shoppers as how are they going to know what the difference is between "Create Your Own" (which takes you to product blanks and then the regular design tool once you select one) and "Create" (which takes you to the new create tool primarily intended for digital downloadable designs)?
*I don't want to get off-topic here but seems to me the new Create should be called something else so it's immediately apparent what it does and how it's different from "Create Your Own".

I like that the main search bar now says "search for products or designs" instead of "what do you want to make today?". They listened to us and changed the wording!! Thankyou, Zazzle!

I like that simply mousing over the main categories (now listed in the gray bar) does NOT open a cascading menu anymore. That was annoying having the cascading menu drop open and cover stuff before. So I like that now you have to actually click it or use the new menu option.

I like that if you use the new left-side menu and choose "Create Your Own" you get a page that shows you the available blanks and info about the product as a whole and FAQS. Choosing Business Cards, for example, shows you this in the FAQs
Quote:
2. Shop our marketplace: Our marketplace carries hundreds of templates published by our community of independent designers who have created designs for you to easily customize and call your own. If you aren’t sure about your design skills, head on over and start browsing here.

with the final "here" leading to the marketplace (NOT the new Create templates!).




Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 4:12:59 PM
Forgot to add - the only thing I don't like so far is that they didn't add a "Sale" category to the drop menu or menu bar so people can browse just what is currently 60% off (or whatever the current sale happens to be).
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 4:13:01 PM
When I click on one of my designs then click on customize, at the top beside the "done" button is a new one that says "invite". When I click on it, it says "Beta,Invite someone to collaborate on your design; Try it today." Then it has a place to key in an email address. I never saw this until this afternoon. I assume it went in to effect with the new homepage. Anyone else seeing it?
As far as the new homepage. I kind of like it. It so much more uncluttered looking.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 4:19:27 PM
Quote:
As far as the new homepage. I kind of like it. It so much more uncluttered looking

Yes, it's really quite a remarkable achievement, to take such a cluttered website and slim it down to something that is coherent and practical. Hats off to the tech team that pulled a rabbit out of their hat! Well done.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 4:41:47 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
ThePinkRibbonShoppe wrote:
"search for products or designs" -- Thank You Zazzle for changing the search bar wording.


I missed that part and have to mention it since I was such a strong critic of the "what do you want to make today"

so to the search box text... much better!



I missed that, too. It's a really good change, thank you, Zazzle!
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:00:04 PM
The homepage is very crisp to me. I like crisp. That blue banner throws me off a bit, though, but I can deal with it. So no real complaint here.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:11:27 PM
At last the designers have been listened Too!Idea A Big Thankyou Zazzle for the new Home Page, simplistic and easy to navigate for the customer with the New Search Box Wording! Marketplace next to create at the top not clickable, assume this is because it is not needed now.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:22:50 PM
The blue banner is fine at the top, much better!
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:24:48 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Since I've already been "labeled," I'll throw some pennies in the fountain too.

- It looks like every other site out there.

- It's not obvious that the three lines to the left of the logo will show a fly-out with product offerings.

- So due to above, as a user, I'm thinking the menu bar lists everything and it doesn't. I can search, and we all know how that works out, or I can click each menu item, see what's on the page, go back, try again.

"Improvement" isn't a word I would use.



I stick with Roy.

It looks like Bootstrap web design framework standard color scheme. The color scheme, Bootstrap tells designers to change but lazy designers keep up. Pro: it looks familiar to users; Con: it looks cookie-cutter.

Agree on the hidden fly-out side menu and the (desktop) users expecting a complete main menu on top. These hidden menus are less effective than standard menus - if you google around there are several sites talking about this.

The redesign goes the trendy mainstream mobile way. Mobile users will be familiar with it, desktop users will have to adapt.

Overall it looks cleaner. As long as they don't exaggerate with the mobile-trend hiding all stuff in sub-sub-sub menus and tons of popups and font sizes grannies can read across a river without their reading glasses, I'm fine with it. It could look a bit more appealing, exclusive, artistic, tho. That standard blue scheme looks a bit cheap. To be honest, S6 does a better job in presentation (but lacks in functionality, where Zazzle does the better job).

My 2c, also seen with the eyes of a web designer.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 6:34:47 PM
·▽·


One thing the new design made clear, too. "sell your designs" has become an afterthought.

Create is purple CAPS and large.

And with a distance almost last, small and insignificant comes the option to the designer to sell on zazzle. Considering how vulnerable zazzle made copyrights on their site, the direction seems clear.

Zazzle has no interest in designer selling 3rd party stockimage used by designers.
Zazzle has no interest in designer preferring a (c) all rights reserved.

- - -
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 7:17:28 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
I stick with Roy.

Great minds sometimes think alike. ;)

PetsDreamlands wrote:
Agree on the hidden fly-out side menu and the (desktop) users expecting a complete main menu on top. These hidden menus are less effective than standard menus - if you google around there are several sites talking about this.

The redesign goes the trendy mainstream mobile way. Mobile users will be familiar with it, desktop users will have to adapt.

The three-bar menu icon is a space-saving necessity on mobile, of course, and, oddly, Walmart likes it in lieu of a "real" menu. Maybe Zazzle is the new Walmart?

PetsDreamlands wrote:
My 2c, also seen with the eyes of a web designer.

A millennial's worth of [web design/development] experience here too (not to be confused with being one).
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 8:53:35 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
PetsDreamlands wrote:
I stick with Roy.

Great minds sometimes think alike. ;)

PetsDreamlands wrote:
Agree on the hidden fly-out side menu and the (desktop) users expecting a complete main menu on top. These hidden menus are less effective than standard menus - if you google around there are several sites talking about this.

The redesign goes the trendy mainstream mobile way. Mobile users will be familiar with it, desktop users will have to adapt.

The three-bar menu icon is a space-saving necessity on mobile, of course, and, oddly, Walmart likes it in lieu of a "real" menu. Maybe Zazzle is the new Walmart?

PetsDreamlands wrote:
My 2c, also seen with the eyes of a web designer.

A millennial's worth of [web design/development] experience here too (not to be confused with being one).

I'm glad you're back, I really appreciate our change of views on an experienced, professional level, even if we may differ in our opinions sometimes.

I have seen - and worked with - the web evolving and acting like the fashion industry, back and forth from fancy to boring to fancy again, recycling old trends and mixing with new ones, sometimes with better, other times with worse results.

What I can't stand those days - as the majority of veteran web designers (plenty of blogs and forum discussions on this topic) - are the lazy and wannabe-trendy web developers going practically full mobile neglecting desktop users with large screens. What results in a click-fest on desktops with minimal information per page and content nested in dozens of sub-menus. Let alone the HUGE font sizes and imagery used. More often than not you find yourself scrolling on a large screen just to read a second or third sentence. And feel you're using a 100x magnifying glass. Plus, the creative touch has disappeared - all sites look the same. The funny thing is, you CAN design a website that looks appealing - and is functional - both on mobile AND desktop devices.

Back in the old days, you used to write "Looks best on (or optimized for) 1024x768" on your entry screen. Nowadays you have to write "Looks best on / optimized for desktop devices" if you want to let people know, your website has more to offer than minimalist layout, square IG images and collapsing content.

Wondering what will happen when people start switching from smartphones to smart watches. Laughing
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 9:19:37 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
Back in the old days, you used to write "Looks best on (or optimized for) 1024x768" on your entry screen ...

Well, now I feel really over-the-hill because when I first developed an interest in webpage design the concern was for people who might likely be on 800 x 600 CRT monitors w/ dial-up so compressing images and reducing load time was as much if not more of an issue than layout LOL. We've come a LONG way! Which isn't exactly a good thing for designers as there is now a seemingly infinite amount of variables for how a page might look & function depending on what it's being viewed with.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 9:26:45 PM
randysgrandma wrote:
When I click on one of my designs then click on customize, at the top beside the "done" button is a new one that says "invite". When I click on it, it says "Beta,Invite someone to collaborate on your design; Try it today." Then it has a place to key in an email address. I never saw this until this afternoon. I assume it went in to effect with the new homepage. Anyone else seeing it?
As far as the new homepage. I kind of like it. It so much more uncluttered looking.


Very interesting ....
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 9:48:52 PM
Col's Creations wrote:
PetsDreamlands wrote:
Back in the old days, you used to write "Looks best on (or optimized for) 1024x768" on your entry screen ...

Well, now I feel really over-the-hill because when I first developed an interest in webpage design the concern was for people who might likely be on 800 x 600 CRT monitors w/ dial-up so compressing images and reducing load time was as much if not more of an issue than layout LOL. We've come a LONG way! Which isn't exactly a good thing for designers as there is now a seemingly infinite amount of variables for how a page might look & function depending on what it's being viewed with.

Well, apparently we're back to these old times, considering 50% of the web users nowadays use mobile devices and are below these 800 pixel width, plus often pay per bandwidth usage, so kilobytes matter Laughing

In regard to webdesign, the whole mobile device stuff is one reason why I don't develop websites anymore. It has become way too time-consuming and complex to develop a decent website that isn't cookie-cutter based on frameworks or templates. The other reason is the price drop and high competition both by cheap manpower in less developed countries and all the "free" platforms.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 10:04:55 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:

In regard to webdesign, the whole mobile device stuff is one reason why I don't develop websites anymore.


That's why I stopped webdesign, too.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 10:57:51 PM
I think some of you should put a Christmas Sock in it!!Smile
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 11:41:39 PM
Thank you, for the kind words, again, @Dreamlands. It's nice to be appreciated.
PetsDreamlands wrote:
What I can't stand those days - as the majority of veteran web designers (plenty of blogs and forum discussions on this topic) - are the lazy and wannabe-trendy web developers going practically full mobile neglecting desktop users with large screens. What results in a click-fest on desktops with minimal information per page and content nested in dozens of sub-menus. Let alone the HUGE font sizes and imagery used. More often than not you find yourself scrolling on a large screen just to read a second or third sentence. And feel you're using a 100x magnifying glass. Plus, the creative touch has disappeared - all sites look the same. The funny thing is, you CAN design a website that looks appealing - and is functional - both on mobile AND desktop devices.

I don't believe the problem here is the coders - they can do the work - but the focus is millenials. So much focus on that and mobile, IMO. Then sites claim that's who shops there. Well, yeah, if you light a fire, you're going to get moths. If you want butterflies, plant flowers. I see 50/50 mobile/desktop in stats for my client sites; they attract people of all ages. I have a different demographic for one of my stores here in particular. They love the Products; hate the experience. That's why I do custom work, and they are the people who remember and come back to me the next time. User experience should always (and should always have been) a priority, but I don't think it is for many companies. I get really frustrated when things don't work, like all the stuff inside the Design Tool broken for a year, while all the let's-shove-it-out-there-for-the-holidays stuff is half-baked and launched anyway.

I'm not thrilled with super-sized type trend, but am glad the microscopic wave has subsided.

PetsDreamlands wrote:
Wondering what will happen when people start switching from smartphones to smart watches. Laughing

That's when I quit.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 2:11:23 AM
As most of us depend on Zazzle for royalities re our products sold for much needed income, and are aware of valued information provided by fellow Zazzlers, these forums are becoming a tireless repetition of the same! Sad
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 3:13:53 AM
orientcourt wrote:
As most of us depend on Zazzle for royalities re our products sold for much needed income, and are aware of valued information provided by fellow Zazzlers, these forums are becoming a tireless repetition of the same! Sad


Well your definitely entitled to your opinion!

All I keep thinking is everyone thought the Amazon thefts were so bad and here we are being sold out by our own TRUSTED POD company. And good luck collecting those royalties if what I am reading about the tests being done by other designers are accurate.

[edit] mea culpa I didn't realize this person was posting in a different topic but not deleting my response as I believe they were also off topic.

Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 4:54:57 AM
ThePinkRibbonShoppe wrote:
"search for products or designs" -- Thank You Zazzle for changing the search bar wording.



Thank you for this, Zazzle. I feel much better about future sales now.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded