New text indent and arrows in image album list take too much space, unreadable list
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 7:21:07 PM
The new album list display (within the designer) with the arrows and indent on categories and subcategories is a nice idea, but it takes way too much space in that narrow frame. Longer category captions are now wrapped over several rows, and the deeper you go into subcategories, the worse it gets. You have now tons of empty space on the left due to the indent, and the category and subcategory captions have only little remaining space on the right, what results in split category captions over several rows or a messed up list layout in the case of longer single words. It's extremely hard to read and takes a lot of extra vertical space and extra scrolling.

The old version was maybe not as nice in terms of layout design, but it was way way better readable and manageable. If you wanna keep it, we definitely need a horizontally sizeable frame so we can enlarge the display area. Or replace the indent list layout with a collapsible list. The actual way it hurts as soon as you have a more complex category (album) list.

Thanks for considering and a happy weekend!

Edit: sorry, 2 rows, not several. And noticed now the horizontal scroll bar. Either I missed it or there were changes. Doesn't matter, tho, still hard to read. Divisors could help.
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 4:34:08 AM
I just now took a look, and though I don't have as deep a hierarchy as you do, I'm finding it actually confusing to look at only because the indent is so deep--about 6 spaces. Even in everyday writing, an indent is no more than 5 spaces, and in printed books, it's less than that. It should be no more than 2 or 3 spaces. The way it is now, it looks like a piece of cloth that's unraveling.
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 11:33:20 AM
I guess I'm not "updated" yet. Not seeing any change.

I assume you are talking about the "My Files" image icons?

Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 11:55:41 AM
BKMuir wrote:
I guess I'm not "updated" yet. Not seeing any change.

I assume you are talking about the "My Files" image icons?

No icons. Just text.
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 4:46:22 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I just now took a look, and though I don't have as deep a hierarchy as you do, I'm finding it actually confusing to look at only because the indent is so deep--about 6 spaces. Even in everyday writing, an indent is no more than 5 spaces, and in printed books, it's less than that. It should be no more than 2 or 3 spaces. The way it is now, it looks like a piece of cloth that's unraveling.

Yup. It definitely must be more compact to save as many space as possible, considering how narrow the category tab/frame is.
1. The indent should not be larger than the width of the arrow + 1 space character.
2. The main categories "All Images" / "Recent Images" and "My Albums" should be left-aligned with the "My Images" caption, that saves precious space for the categories/album section (you don't need an arrow on "My Albums", the caption itself is self-explanatory).
3. Wrapped captions should be left-aligned to their starting point (not centered as now) AND have a smaller line spacing/line-height, what makes it less confusing to the eye.
4. The open parent album/category should be put in evidence, either highlighting the caption (or in bold) or with a light grey background color, plus the end of the open category should be also shown, either by an ending line or by extending the light grey background over the whole opened area.

Or, to make it simple...

The old version could be restored, it was perfectly fine. Now it's a cluttered mess and hard to work with.

@mods/devs: please look at this as constructive criticism/improvement suggestion from a user's perspective. It's just a detail that won't diminish the great job done on the designer tool (by far the best one I've seen so far). Cheers!
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:57:31 AM
While I tend to agree with the comments on the excessive indentation I applaud other noticeable changes. Several functions had been inaccessible to iPad users. It was formerly impossible to see the name of any image. Now we can. It was also impossible to edit the name, etc., because the little ‘I’ clickable button was missing. Now it’s there.

I haven’t yet played with search, that has been broken for years, ‘recent images’ that only worked intermittently or whether there have been changes to make the last accessed directory stick, but hopefully there have been fixes. *crossing fingers*
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 11:27:36 AM
I still do not see any change under my IMAGES in either the customer or designer Design navigator. A screen shot might help.
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:59:33 PM
BKMuir wrote:
I still do not see any change under my IMAGES in either the customer or designer Design navigator. A screen shot might help.

It's the category/album tree that has changed.
Here's a screenshot taken from within the designer, and on the right an example, how I would do this (simple variant with just slight changes and no delimiters, lines, background colors whatsoever).

Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 9:42:53 PM
One more little flaw encountered on the Images page (the one outside of the designer):

The category tab on the left isn't located in an independent frame like in the full image browser within the designer and scrolls with the whole page. This a) doesn't allow you to scroll the category list independently from the content frame and b) every time you click on a category and the page gets loaded to list the images, you're on top of the list (again) and lose the focus. If you have a long category list and are forced to scroll down, this flaw can get annoying and time-wasting in the long run, especially if you use the regular images page to manage your images.

The image browser within the designer does the job way better with the independent frames which allow you to keep the focus on the actual category while browsing the related images. The same approach would be nice to have also on the regular images page.

Trying to avoid a bloody nose (mine) and to prevent heart attacks (yours), so that was it for now ;-)

Thanks for your patience & have a great week!
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 5:18:55 AM
Hi PetsDreamlands. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I can see what you mean and will be happy to pass this along Grin
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 8:12:42 AM
Padie wrote:
Hi PetsDreamlands. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I can see what you mean and will be happy to pass this along Grin

Thanks, Padie Roses

No rush, it's not a vital issue, more cosmetics. It would be great, if you guys could spend some time on the jump-back-to-the-main-category problem, instead. That one truly hurts when working with images, it's a tiring and time-consuming scroll-and-click fest. Still, the best tool out there, despite such little quirks Happy
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:37:34 AM
No problem at all, you're welcome Smile
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 10:50:07 AM
Thanks for the fix, it looks clean and is way more readable now.

If you would halve the indent (align the arrow's position to the left of the parent's list entry), you could save 2 wasted character spaces per list sub-level, which is a lot in that narrow frame. But that's no biggie, all that counts is the readability and that is now given. Thanks again!
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:19:43 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
The category tab on the left isn't located in an independent frame like in the full image browser within the designer and scrolls with the whole page.

It's very annoying.
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:30:21 PM
Colorwash wrote:
PetsDreamlands wrote:
The category tab on the left isn't located in an independent frame like in the full image browser within the designer and scrolls with the whole page.

It's very annoying.

Missed to check that one (I rarely use the regular images page). You really need to put the category tree in an inline/independent frame as you already and correctly do in the designer browser, or you'll drive designers with a large number of images and categories crazy. Just sayin'.
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 3:53:50 AM
I did not create a "tree" yet I seem to have one now ...
I would love to see the option to delete folders from the images.
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 6:04:55 AM
Anne wrote:
I did not create a "tree" yet I seem to have one now ...
I would love to see the option to delete folders from the images.

I just now deleted all the images in a folder that I no longer use, then looked for a way to delete the folder itself. What I found is that you have to click on "My Albums," then scroll to your empty folder, select it by clicking the little box to put a checkmark in it (don't click on the folder image), and then at the bottom of the page, you'll see "Delete Selected." Click it, and the folder will be gone.
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 9:30:45 AM
Thanks, Colorwash, that does the trick! :-)
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 10:11:30 AM
Yes, and it taught me a new trick. :-)