New Designing Format Pages Look 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 4:07:52 AM
Linda_MN wrote:
It is 1600x900, which is the recommended highest setting.

That's likely your problem. If you can find a way to use a higher-resolution monitor, you'll be a lot happier. My own monitor is a very modest 1920 x 1080, and everything fits nicely on the screen.
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 4:51:57 AM
Her model of HP doesn't support 1920x1080, which means her graphics hardware isn't designed to handle it. She would have to overclock it in the bios settings which is risking having other problems because it would be overloading the CPU capabilities. Not recommended.

best option is to adjust the screen zoom down just a notch and see if that helps.
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:25:07 AM
Ultimately--and unfortunately--the one true solution may be to replace the computer.
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 5:36:35 PM
ty for the info. I just spent quite a bit of money on the desktop, so not sure I want to purchase a new one right now.
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:01:04 AM
Linda_MN wrote:
ty for the info. I just spent quite a bit of money on the desktop, so not sure I want to purchase a new one right now.

If the computer is that new, you should be able to get a higher resolution monitor. If you know someone with computer expertise, perhaps you can talk with that person.

I wish you luck.
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:45:09 PM
thank you colorwash. The desktop was new in 2011 and was a top of the line model. I just had someone improve it, is what I meant.
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 3:46:17 AM
Could that same person help you with your monitor?
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:11:37 AM
Linda_MN wrote:
thank you colorwash. The desktop was new in 2011 and was a top of the line model. I just had someone improve it, is what I meant.

Unfortunately in computer time, 6 years is an eon... I wish it wasn't like this but it seems like by the time you get one home it is on the verge of being obsolete already...
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:55:45 AM
Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:
Linda_MN wrote:

Unfortunately in computer time, 6 years is an eon... I wish it wasn't like this but it seems like by the time you get one home it is on the verge of being obsolete already...

I agree unless you luck out as I have by knowing a computer tech for years who has always built my computers to spec. If a component needs upgrading, he does it, if it needs to be fussed with, he fusses with it, and if a component does something really evil, he stops in as soon as he can, usually within a day if not that very day. The last time this happened, it was a power supply. Ever smell something burning coming from your computer? Scary! Shut down, shriek, call tech.

It's something I advise to anyone who has a computer service or individual tech in the area.
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 8:10:48 AM
If it's something like a memory upgrade or a bios tweak I usually am my own tech... I built a Frankenstein unit years ago before USB and it was a real challenge just trying to find parts that were compatible. I blew my power supply fuse so many times, lol, so yeah I have smelled that before. I still have the grounding bracelet my husband made for me to wear so I wouldn't fry my components with my static charge.
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 8:17:43 AM
Linda is using a wide-screen 17" monitor at the manufacturer recommended 1600 x 900.
My laptop is a wide-screen 15.5" monitor at the manufacturer recommended 1366 x 768.

Wide-screen monitors which give you less vertical space are much more common these days then the more traditional "square" ones of the old CRT days. This "shape" change is also true of televisions.
I've always hated the wide-screens because of the shortness of the vertical space, but just try to buy a new laptop that isn't wide-screen. ;)

If you look at the stats here
https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
you can see that my laptop at 1366 x 768 is the most common resolution and Linda's 1600 x 900 is in the second most common group ("other high").

So it's not that we have outdated systems and need to buy new monitors, it's that some websites (like, uh, the design editing page here) aren't giving enough consideration to the fact that most screens these days are designed to have more horizontal space then vertical. Which is why my two cents was to move the tools we need constantly to the left and the things we don't need to see all the time (the guide box and tips) to the bottom.

Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 8:54:39 AM
ColeenZ wrote:
So it's not that we have outdated systems and need to buy new monitors, it's that some websites (like, uh, the design editing page here) aren't giving enough consideration to the fact that most screens these days are designed to have more horizontal space then vertical. Which is why my two cents was to move the tools we need constantly to the left and the things we don't need to see all the time (the guide box and tips) to the bottom.

That's a paragraph of a good old horse sense, a rare breed. Smile
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:55:05 AM
I also have a wide screen (super wide) 19.5" but my HD graphics hardware supports 1920x1080 screen resolution and I keep my zoom set to 80% and have no problem seeing all of the page on my screen.

Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:07:01 AM
I also have a wide screen (super wide) 19.5" but my HD graphics hardware supports 1920x1080 screen resolution and I keep my zoom set to 80% and have no problem seeing all of the page on my screen.

I have the same, but all we do by saying this is make those who don't have it hate us. :-)
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:29:17 AM
Colorwash wrote:

I have the same, but all we do by saying this is make those who don't have it hate us. :-)

Haters gonna hate, but I have more faith in these colleagues. I wasn't trying to brag, just pointing out that the zoom setting can compensate a bit for the lack of height in a wide screen.
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:41:06 AM
1366 x 768, 1600 x 900, 1920 x 1080 - they are all have a wide-screen aspect ratio of 16:9. Unless there's a resurgence of 4:3 in the coming years we are all stuck with viewports that have much more horizontal space then vertical.

1920 x 1080 is the third most common resolution right now at 17%. But the smaller 1366 x 768 is the most common at 35%. Mostly due I am sure to the prevalence of laptops wherein 15.5" is the most common screen size. Obviously the larger your viewport the higher your 16:9 can be.

The flat-screen I use with my desktop is 19" and has an old aspect ratio of 5:3 at 1280 x 1024, which is down to a paltry 5% of users now. Somewhere between that 1024 high (which fits all of the design editor elements just fine) and Linda's 900 high where the bottom is all cut off, is the magic number.

Her 19" 1600 x 900 is a goodly display, I balk at telling her she needs a new monitor or a tech consultant to upgrade her display just to make it fit Zazzle's design tool.
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 12:00:17 PM
Colorwash wrote:

Haters gonna hate, but I have more faith in these colleagues. I wasn't trying to brag, just pointing out that the zoom setting can compensate a bit for the lack of height in a wide screen.

Shelli, I was joking.
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:16:30 PM
wow, good info, ColeenZ! With those being the most used sizes, it would help tremendously if the Z technical people could put the tools on the right and bottom, or more like they were before. I say right because I am right handed, but I see you said left. Well, either would be better than having to go top, bottom, top, right etc.

I tried changing my settings, but then my email and photoshop were too small too, so I am back to just having to reduce the size of the page where I use the design tool. Can't have everything, I guess. I like having the wider screen for working in photoshop, though.

My tech guy had to leave while he was having chemo. I tried 3 other people with varying results and still have not found one as good or as nice/smart.Grin
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:23:59 AM
Linda_MN wrote:
My tech guy had to leave while he was having chemo. I tried 3 other people with varying results and still have not found one as good or as nice/smart.Grin

Now and then we come to absolutely rely on someone for whom there seems (or maybe is) no replacement. They say to not put all our eggs in one basket, but what if it's the only basket around?
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:13:06 AM
ColeenZ wrote:
1366 x 768, 1600 x 900, 1920 x 1080 - they are all have a wide-screen aspect ratio of 16:9. Unless there's a resurgence of 4:3 in the coming years we are all stuck with viewports that have much more horizontal space then vertical.

1920 x 1080 is the third most common resolution right now at 17%. But the smaller 1366 x 768 is the most common at 35%. Mostly due I am sure to the prevalence of laptops wherein 15.5" is the most common screen size. Obviously the larger your viewport the higher your 16:9 can be.

The flat-screen I use with my desktop is 19" and has an old aspect ratio of 5:3 at 1280 x 1024, which is down to a paltry 5% of users now. Somewhere between that 1024 high (which fits all of the design editor elements just fine) and Linda's 900 high where the bottom is all cut off, is the magic number.

Her 19" 1600 x 900 is a goodly display, I balk at telling her she needs a new monitor or a tech consultant to upgrade her display just to make it fit Zazzle's design tool.

I can agree that a user shouldn't have to upgrade their hardware to use Zazzle or any other POD software. the POD should make sure they are compatible with the whole spectrum of hardware specs that are being used.
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:15:32 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Shelli, I was joking.

I knew that, so was I... I shoulda used an emoji! Stick out tongue