New design tool 21 pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Last
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:00:24 PM
artbyjocelyn wrote:
I'm not seeing this new design layout. Maybe not on the browser at work only.


It's a beta test so not everyone gets it Jocelyn.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:03:57 PM
Was helped with the Sell it button but that needs to be easier to find on the Product page we are given. Perhaps it is to discourage those customers who are not "designers", in that case great job.

I'm liking it more and more though it is quite a learning curve.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:06:54 PM
One more thing. Could we have the text-on-a-curve back again? Pretty please?
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:13:39 PM
I can speak only for myself, but I am excited about the new design tool. I have had little time to test it, but will go into it deeper by the end of the week.

So far I think the layout and functionality of the tool is much more user friendly, than the current one and let's all not forget the last new design tool.

The new design tool and product page is working well for me!

On the product page I would add the social media icons on the left side under the front and back thumbnails, and make them more visible. Also the "link to" option should be as the old one with BB Code and HTML options, including images.

On the design tool, I have little to suggest at the time. It feels easy to use and love some of the new features, like toggling visibility of layers, or images snapping to the center lines when moved. It is easier to add text and images with the new tool, which is a big plus for me.

Generally I think this tool is well thought out. People seem to miss the arrows to move things, but I just use my keyboard arrows and they work just fine. It might be better though to add the arrows in the tool again for customers and inexperienced designers.

So far I enjoy the new tool and prefer it over the current one.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:15:20 PM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
Was helped with the Sell it button but that needs to be easier to find on the Product page we are given. Perhaps it is to discourage those customers who are not "designers", in that case great job.



Why? Once designers know it where the option is, it will be just fine. Customers don't need it.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:23:44 PM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
artbyjocelyn wrote:
I'm not seeing this new design layout. Maybe not on the browser at work only.


It's a beta test so not everyone gets it Jocelyn.


Ah, which explains why I could not find anything new. Thanks!
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:55:57 PM
J32 Design wrote:
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
Was helped with the Sell it button but that needs to be easier to find on the Product page we are given. Perhaps it is to discourage those customers who are not "designers", in that case great job.



Why? Once designers know it where the option is, it will be just fine. Customers don't need it.


Right which is why I said "great job". *wink*
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:05:07 PM
I love the filter, the tools all in one place, being able to go back and forth previewing so, far enjoying it and easier for me.

Roses
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:06:56 PM
J32 Design wrote:
I can speak only for myself, but I am excited about the new design tool. I have had little time to test it, but will go into it deeper by the end of the week.

So far I think the layout and functionality of the tool is much more user friendly, than the current one and let's all not forget the last new design tool.

The new design tool and product page is working well for me!

On the product page I would add the social media icons on the left side under the front and back thumbnails, and make them more visible. Also the "link to" option should be as the old one with BB Code and HTML options, including images.

On the design tool, I have little to suggest at the time. It feels easy to use and love some of the new features, like toggling visibility of layers, or images snapping to the center lines when moved. It is easier to add text and images with the new tool, which is a big plus for me.

Generally I think this tool is well thought out. People seem to miss the arrows to move things, but I just use my keyboard arrows and they work just fine. It might be better though to add the arrows in the tool again for customers and inexperienced designers.

So far I enjoy the new tool and prefer it over the current one.
Just read this after posting but agree with it all!Grin
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:18:53 PM
This is an interesting design tool, and will take some time to adjust to, but I think it will work well. I haven't had time to play with it much, but one thing I noticed is that without the button size controls for images, it is a bit tough to resize things to a be larger than the design tool.

For example, if you're putting a photo on something, but you want to just zoom in on a particular part of the photo, it's a bit difficult to make that happen precisely (without cropping). Especially since the image doesn't update in real time like an art program. The button controls were heaps easier. A Zoom In/Zoom Out keyboard shortcut would be sufficient, if Zazzle is averse to buttons.

I also wish there were more default background color swatches. Any chance of a third row? Some warmer colors would be nice.

Love the kerning options. I hope you can expand the options in the future (curved text, vertical text).

I'm not clear on when "Space Evenly" and "Alignment" activate.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:32:47 PM
It was unexpected but after a few seconds of looking around and playing with fonts etc. I found that I really like this new design tool.

I will even say it may be the best one yet.

I like "Designed for you by....." and that right underneath is "customize" and that the pop-up to change the text includes the font.

I like the AV tool to widen or narrow the text (I think that's new?)...

I like the "Made a change? Post for sale again" comment...

I like "contact the designer"

I like the separate... "about this product" and "about this design"

and I like the "add to cart" and info always at the bottom..

Everything was easy to see and find. I wondered where the "make this a template object" selection was then I noticed the "more" button near the bottom so that's cool.

Oh and the "filter" option is a fun addition for customers.

Nice!
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:32:06 PM
I just spent a bit of time playing with the new design tool. This is what I discovered thus far.

- Enjoyed seeing the new filters for images - great feature for photos
- Like being able to grab and drag for positioning and rotation of images and text.
- Have not used the crop tool yet but can see this as a benefit to the consumer.
- Tools seem easy to use .... once you have spent time figuring them out on your own.

- I still would like to see a tool to center text and images on the center of the product. Moving the item around and guessing that you are center of the product is not assurance enough that your items are actually centered.

Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:49:42 PM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
artbyjocelyn wrote:
I'm not seeing this new design layout. Maybe not on the browser at work only.


It's a beta test so not everyone gets it Jocelyn.


Ah, ok, I see.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:00:45 PM
Have played a bit with this.

Finally found the POST FOR SALE tiny text on product page after hitting DONE.

Under IMAGE manipulation there is a group of items under ADVANCED TOOLS (at bottom of page after checking the box)

Space evenly
Alignment
Layer order

These don't seem to work - they are grayed out and clicking every which-way doesn't seem to do any thing. Does anyone have some insight on this?
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:25:04 PM
BKMuir wrote:
Have played a bit with this.

Finally found the POST FOR SALE tiny text on product page after hitting DONE.

Under IMAGE manipulation there is a group of items under ADVANCED TOOLS (at bottom of page after checking the box)

Space evenly
Alignment
Layer order

These don't seem to work - they are grayed out and clicking every which-way doesn't seem to do any thing. Does anyone have some insight on this?


I played with it and it seems to be multilayer rather than single layer. If your image consists of several layers of elements then it aligns them but if your image is just one layer, it stays greyed out.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:40:09 PM
Love Love Shocked Love Love Love Idea Love Love Love ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE NEW DESIGN TOOL Love Love Love Love

I am a photographer who works with photoshop and other tools. This new tool is very sleek, easier to use, very responsive. I love the layout and options. Learning curve will be easier than the old one if you are used to using real design tools. my only criticism would be that you buried where we post our products for sale. Put it back at the top please...... I can see many pros with this. Will it replace photoshop and other design tools on my computer? of course not. But it will make designing for specific products easier. I also post on other POD's. I wish they would have used this type of design interface.

Please keep this. I think I am in heaven....... Roses
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:45:15 PM
colorwash wrote:
One more thing. Could we have the text-on-a-curve back again? Pretty please?


I agree, with designing buttons or wanting to be a little creative being able to curve text would be nice.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:07:50 PM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
artbyjocelyn wrote:
I'm not seeing this new design layout. Maybe not on the browser at work only.


It's a beta test so not everyone gets it Jocelyn.


Feeling left out. So Zazzle, when do the rest of us get to experience the new design tool?

Question for those who have the new design tool, can custom text be tiled?
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:01:22 AM
colorwash wrote:
Umer Farooq wrote:
I can't align a single layer to the center. Its all messed up. If I select more than one layers the align options seem to work but even then whole design aligns somehow which moves everything in a strange way. Although the new filter options are good. But Align and resize tools were the best. These tools should be available in this new design too, or at least they should fix the align tool.

Have you noticed that "snap" has been added? If you grab a single layer and move it very close to the center, you can feel it snapping into the center. However, this leads to unintended consequences, given that we no longer have the incremental move tools. What if we want an image just a smidge to the left or right of center? I've done this at times to create a drop shadow or thin lines.


Thanks a lot. It really helped. Although now we have to do a few more clicks to center the layers, previously it was all done in two clicks, or one.
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:07:59 AM
I wanted to make a lampshade only version of a hanging lamp. Whether I'm in edit or not, there's no way to change it from hanging to lampshade (or anything else.) Am I missing the obvious or is something important missing?
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:20:09 AM
I could not work out how to use the alignment tools for just one layer. I guess that's because it doesn't work that way.

I can't see contact this designer on the product page. I would really miss that if it was gone. Most of my descriptions offer to help people via this button.
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:41:07 AM
Also, the "edit" link we need to optimize titles and descriptions seems to be missing. Is it hidden somewhere?
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:48:01 AM
What happened to that handy little pallet of colors we've had for the last year or so? Suddenly it's harder to make matching background colors over a lot of different products.
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:25:55 AM
UROCKDezineZone wrote:
What happened to that handy little pallet of colors we've had for the last year or so? Suddenly it's harder to make matching background colors over a lot of different products.


Yes, I miss that too. It was a very good intermediate step between "choose one of 5 colors" and "choose one of the 5 million colors a computer can make".
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:53:57 AM
According to Scott, they deliberately left out the ability to center just one layer, though there was no explanation for having done so. Like other people, I'd like having it back. Besides, it wouldn't take up any more screen space if it were returned.

Someone mentioned using the arrow keys in lieu of the now missing tool for incremental movements, and though all Photoshop users automatically go to the arrow keys for this, it's not a behavior necessarily associated with a barebones editor such as the design tool we have here. This got me thinking that, once they've settled on everything, once they've fixed the bugs and flaws, a comprehensive Help popup might be in order.

This tool is probably perfect for photographers and for those who complete their designs before uploading them, the result being a single layer plus maybe some text. For those of us who quite often build a design via layers, the work area is claustrophobic. I swear that a mere inch more of vertical screen space would help.

I'll be spending a portion of today working with the tool, not to post anything for sale, but to get muscle memory for where things are so I don't have to search out a tool each time I need it. My own lack of familiarity led to unwarranted contempt.

Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:04:49 AM
I would of thought with all the image theft something would make this tool work for us on that.

What about a zoom over area and preview having some sort of blocking capture feature, or just show models on the preview? Zoom tool we had years ago..
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:14:46 AM
colorwash wrote:
Someone mentioned using the arrow keys in lieu of the now missing tool for incremental movements...

Responding to my own self, I'm currently working with the design tool and was using the arrow keys to move two layers toward the left, but I wasn't a happy camper with the huge leap performed each time I hit the left arrow. I thought, what the heck, and held down the control key while hitting the arrow key. Am I the only one who didn't know that holding the control key would limit the distance traveled?

Anyway, there's that, but there's also the fact that those limited increments are nowhere near as limited as many of us are likely to need. I've no idea if the number of pixels can be controlled by the script running the design tool, but if so, it definitely needs a reduction. I'd vote for a single pixel, but maybe I'm the only control freak here on the forum.
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:25:55 AM
It came really unexpected so first I was in a shock thought I pushed the wrong button and felt a little helpless what and how to do it but after my second design with the new tool I start to love it :-)
I can't say yet if I miss anything because maybe it is there and I just have to learn to find it, but so far so good.
ThankYouRoses
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:02:19 AM
I finally spotted the reason we no longer need the former rotate tool. I don't know why I didn't see it yesterday, but I do now: As we rotate an image, we can see the exact degree of rotation. I love it!
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:40:14 AM
I think others have already mentioned these, but I wanted to put in my 'me too'

Idea I love the rotation tool!

I hope we can the the '+' and '-' resizing tools back.

I miss the centering tool for a single layer.

I also miss being able to toggle between the product view and design view and being able to design on the actual product.

It's hard for me to get things aligned and centered just right without these three things.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded