New design tool 21 pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:30:12 AM
Trying out the new design tool

Pros:

Instagram-ish filters are fun

alignment options for multiple layers

rotation and resizing are mouse driven which is especially easier for atypical rotations, easier than typing in the degrees

Cons:
the options are so layered that it cn be hard to figure out what's do-able

adding in a background color by hex number is buggy, had to go to saved designs for the hex number I typed in to work
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 4:18:22 AM
I lucked into this one too. Didn't see any pros. Don't need Instagramish filters. Moving small objects without the arrows is extremely difficult . . . impossible to be precise. Extremely cumbersome to move around in this tool. And how do you design in the regular product view? The first thing I do when I edit or customize something is turn off that darn design view. Now I can't turn it off without leaving edit? Who thought that one up? If there is supposed to be some improvement here over the old tool, I don't see it. It just makes me feel like leaving and hoping it's gone when I get back.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 4:33:52 AM
I tried to design several products and just gave up. While I like the idea of some of the new features, I found it lacking in usability. It is very clunky and confusing. It is hard to see what you are doing and very "squished" for lack of a better term. Moving images or text is limited to a grid and very hard to control. When you use the color picker it covers the lower portion of the image which is problematic. I would rather forgo the new features and have the old tool back.

ETA: The sharing buttons are almost microscopic and some are not represented anymore (like Google+). There is also no code provided for html or bb code (unless I'm just not seeing it).

ETA again: I'm now seeing the Google+ share button.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:15:09 AM
karlajkitty wrote:
I tried to design several products and just gave up. While I like the idea of some of the new features, I found it lacking in usability. It is very clunky and confusing. It is hard to see what you are doing and very "squished" for lack of a better term. Moving images or text is limited to a grid and very hard to control. When you use the color picker it covers the lower portion of the image which is problematic. I would rather forgo the new features and have the old tool back.

ETA: The sharing buttons are almost microscopic and some are not represented anymore (like Google+). There is also no code provided for html or bb code (unless I'm just not seeing it).

I'm glad a went on a designing marathon previous to this because I'm stopped right in my tracks. It looks as if the new setup wasn't completed before it was foisted on us because I see "ghosts" of the old screen in the sense of, for instance, the tools we used to have for individual layers (change, delete).

I tried to post in one of the Show Me threads but found what I suspected when just looking at the BBCode: It's nonfunctional.

Who the heck figured out those weird names for the filters? They're non-informational.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:28:54 AM
colorwash wrote:
karlajkitty wrote:

I'm glad a went on a designing marathon previous to this because I'm stopped right in my tracks. It looks as if the new setup wasn't completed before it was foisted on us because I see "ghosts" of the old screen in the sense of, for instance, the tools we used to have for individual layers (change, delete).

I tried to post in one of the Show Me threads but found what I suspected when just looking at the BBCode: It's nonfunctional.

Who the heck figured out those weird names for the filters? They're non-informational.

I agree - it doesn't look ready. The center/left/right tools are grayed out and the image selector screen has issues - there is no list of recent images which is very handy feature - I can't fathom why they would intentionally leave that out. When you expand your folders it won't let you collapse them.

There is no copy/paste options but I was able to use ctrl-c / ctrl-v and copy layers from within and from another product.

There is no option to re-size an image without grabbing and "pulling" it which causes the image to move and you have to eyeball it back into position.

The font selector is very quick but it covers the screen so unless you move your text to the upper right corner you are unable to see what it looks like unless you exit the font tool.

There are more aggravating issues but those are the most glaring that I've encountered so far.

Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:41:10 AM
My plea: Give us back what we had until the new format has been thoroughly alpha tested along with being given a beta-test run with those who volunteer to do it.

EDIT: Why are basic tools being called Advanced? I kept looking for Fit and Fill, finally discovering that Advanced tools are turned off by default. Unfortunately, the little buttons for spacing, alignment, and layer order are dead things. Shouldn't such buttons be tested before going semi-public with them?

What's up with the images screen? Why so limiting? It was already bad enough that we couldn't see very many images before having to go to another page.

One thing I definitely like is the ability to hide a layer.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 6:24:23 AM
I haven't experienced a new design tool yet today. Sounds like it will just put the finishing touch on what is turning out to be a very, very bleak day. Is it anything like the previous "new design tool" that was so disastrously tried out before holiday shopping season a while back?
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:18:53 AM
Anderson_Designs wrote:
I haven't experienced a new design tool yet today. Sounds like it will just put the finishing touch on what is turning out to be a very, very bleak day. Is it anything like the previous "new design tool" that was so disastrously tried out before holiday shopping season a while back?

I was lucky in that I didn't experience the previous disaster, but I'm definitely experiencing this one. I just now bulled through designing a simple postcard, and I ran into so many bugs, difficulties, and removal of abilities that it took me about 45 minutes to create what should have taken no more than 10 minutes.

Just a few more of the "awfuls" I ran into:

Typing in the Product Page Label for a text template is so wonky I can't think of how to even describe it. You have to type and correct and delete and type some more until eventually you have what you want.

Someone else mentioned what I found, which is that the font picker covers part of the product and some, if not all, of the text so you can't see the effect of the font choice.

There's no drop-down for quick-pick font sizes, which used to speed things up.

Grid lines are so faint as to be invisible.

There's a jump-to-alignment when moving an object, which is nice except for when it isn't. That would be when you need tiny, incremental adjustments. We've lost that.

There's no individual horizontal or vertical alignment for a layer, not that I could find, anyway.

Just as they had a couple things, from what I hear, with the previous fiasco that were really nice (curved text, for instance), they have a few of those things with this one. The filters are actually quite nice, though the names they chose are singularly non-descriptive. The ability to turn off visibility of a layer can be a boon.

I just wish they'd at least tested this thing before sending it out here into the wild. The postcard I just designed will be the last thing until they either fix all the flaws or they go back to what we had. It's just too painful to design products.

Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:30:53 AM
Checking the box next to "Advanced Tools" doesn't seem to do anything.

I can see you can delete the layer to remove something however, I can't seem to find a "replace" option.

Where do I find the "fit/fill" options?

ETA, just found at the bottom of the page the options show after clicking on that Advanced Tools option. On my 19" laptop screen if falls below the fold.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:34:10 AM
I really don't like having the file names shown. Because these were never visible before I'm sure most sellers never concerned themselves with how they might look to the public. We tend to use our own sort of coding and matching system which is often messy and makes no sense to the customer.

On the positive side, I do love being able to hide and unhide layers. Love

And the color filters are pretty cool too!
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:53:22 AM
OK, now where did the + and - signs go to shrink or enlarge our images? No handles on the templets to grab or anything like it.

Anyone?
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:53:46 AM
I guess I'm one of the few "lucky" ones who hasn't been blessed with this new design tool...yet! I shall take advantage of the situation to get as much done in the meantime!
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:12:54 AM
william_zierfus2000 wrote:
I am not a fan of the new design tools that mysteriously appeared overnight ... anyone else having a problem with the new design tools layout or am I the only one?

Did you bother to read the thread?

Listen, those of us who have this new design tool should be giving constructive criticism. The me too, and complete meltdown kind of posts are not very effective.

I like this new tool despite that I can't find how to shrink or enlarge an image. I think it has some potential.

So folks let's try and give Zazzle some useful posts that will make this design tool our designers dream shall we?
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:26:58 AM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
Listen, those of us who have this new design tool should be giving constructive criticism. The me too, and complete meltdown kind of posts are not very effective.

I like this new tool despite that I can't find how to shrink or enlarge an image. I think it has some potential.

So folks let's try and give Zazzle some useful posts that will make this design tool our designers dream shall we?

I'm fairly sure I know what you mean, which is that we shouldn't hold back on pointing out the good as well as the bad. What if, for instance, we lost curved text because folks seemed overwhelmingly down on the last major test? In this case, I'd hate losing the visibility eye for layers, and some of those filters are truly quite lovely.

I'm not overly fond of having lost the ability to design a product "in situ" but that's a much lesser evil when compared to having lost incremental movement. And then there's the true bug when trying to type in a product page label.

The font popup shouldn't be covering the product.

Oh, and here's something I'm sure they can fix: When the popup for adding an image appears, the album list is in chaos. It isn't anywhere near alphabetical and may possibly be in order of date created. I've no idea, but it sure makes it difficult finding anything. So does the size of the screen.

Some of the problem is in getting used to an entirely new layout, which we can all survive, but it would be good if tools didn't have such a scattered look to them, some at upper right, some at the bottom, some upper left.

Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:27:24 AM
I don't have the new tool (thankfully), so I can't add anything truly productive regarding the tools change itself, but I see Zazzle is watching this thread, so I would like to throw these comments in the hat:

- It seems an announcement prior to making a major change, even if just in testing phase (or maybe especially because in testing phase) would go a long way toward the improved communications Zazzle strives for. I sense that it feels like these designers walked into their office this morning only to find the walls painted orange and the furniture upside down.

- A November release on a change of this magnitude which will clearly need troubleshooting and bug fixes seems counterproductive and counter intuitive - who has a contractor come in 6 weeks before their holiday company?
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:47:52 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

- A November release on a change of this magnitude which will clearly need troubleshooting and bug fixes seems counterproductive and counter intuitive - who has a contractor come in 6 weeks before their holiday company?

Well said.

Colorwash great start and I know Z is reading.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:49:48 AM
I can't align a single layer to the center. Its all messed up. If I select more than one layers the align options seem to work but even then whole design aligns somehow which moves everything in a strange way. Although the new filter options are good. But Align and resize tools were the best. These tools should be available in this new design too, or at least they should fix the align tool.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:09:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks, reading and taking note.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:13:26 AM
I'll have a few replies to this, but they'll have to be spread throughout the day.

1. This tool services both customers and you designers. What you see in the Advanced menu may not be advanced for you, but it absolutely is advanced for someone looking to customize a few names and a date and submit an order.

2. The new page has been thoroughly tested both internally and externally, and we're confident that it's ready to see the light of day. If you have a bug to report, please do so in the appropriate forum. Let’s leave this thread for feedback purposes.

3. We are absolutely working on our communication with you guys, but to expect us to flip a switch and be incredible about messaging would be to expect that we don't already have our plates full of work. Anyone here have a boss that leaves them only 75% busy? Consider yourself lucky!
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:16:34 AM
Umer Farooq wrote:
I can't align a single layer to the center. Its all messed up. If I select more than one layers the align options seem to work but even then whole design aligns somehow which moves everything in a strange way. Although the new filter options are good. But Align and resize tools were the best. These tools should be available in this new design too, or at least they should fix the align tool.

Have you noticed that "snap" has been added? If you grab a single layer and move it very close to the center, you can feel it snapping into the center. However, this leads to unintended consequences, given that we no longer have the incremental move tools. What if we want an image just a smidge to the left or right of center? I've done this at times to create a drop shadow or thin lines.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:24:17 AM
Scott wrote:
If you have a bug to report, please do so in the appropriate forum. Let’s leave this thread for feedback purposes.

Scott, sometimes we may be looking at what's called unintended consequences, in other cases awkward programming, and in still other cases they may be bugs. For instance, there's the jumbled listing of albums in the images popup. I'm not sure if this is intended, unintended, or a bug. Also, there are missing but necessary tools such as incremental moving of an object. Is it a bug? Oversight? Intended?

Sometimes it's difficult to figure out what to report and where to report it.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:29:22 AM
Artinspired - Creative Designs 😊 wrote:
Just published my first product using the new design tool. I added an image that needed centering so I missed not having the centering tool.

Check my post above in which I replied to MrHighSky.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:35:36 AM
colorwash wrote:
Artinspired - Creative Designs 😊 wrote:
Just published my first product using the new design tool. I added an image that needed centering so I missed not having the centering tool.

Check my post above in which I replied to MrHighSky.

Thanks for the information! I started playing with the snap tool and it did help with the centering.

Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:04:51 AM
colorwash wrote:
Scott wrote:
If you have a bug to report, please do so in the appropriate forum. Let’s leave this thread for feedback purposes.

Scott, sometimes we may be looking at what's called unintended consequences, in other cases awkward programming, and in still other cases they may be bugs. For instance, there's the jumbled listing of albums in the images popup. I'm not sure if this is intended, unintended, or a bug. Also, there are missing but necessary tools such as incremental moving of an object. Is it a bug? Oversight? Intended?

Missing features are not a bug. Misbehaving features are a bug.

Since you guys aren't aware of what is/isn't an oversight, or what the intentions are, it might be easier to approach this thread as being about what you like or don't like about the tool. What improvements would you like to see made?

Hope this helps. And yeah, we're definitely interested in all of your feedback.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:19:04 AM
I would like to see the + and - sizing tools back.

My question to you Scott is am I missing these tools I've mentioned above or are they no longer going to be available?
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:24:11 AM
Scott wrote:
colorwash wrote:
Scott wrote:

Missing features are not a bug. Misbehaving features are a bug.

Since you guys aren't aware of what is/isn't an oversight, or what the intentions are, it might be easier to approach this thread as being about what you like or don't like about the tool. What improvements would you like to see made?

What I like:
1. I can see that my text field templates are working without having to publish the product - that is a wonderful addition.
2. Love the ability to hide layers
3. The font selector is much faster
4. The rotate tool is awesome - thank you for that.

What I would like to see:
1. A way to increase/decrease image size without having to drag the borders - which messes up the alignment
2. The new color palette does not save recent custom colors - would really love to see that feature added.
3. The image uploader does not save a list of recent files - I really hope this can be returned.

General:
The new tool has a restricted view - i.e. you have to do a lot of selecting and scrolling which makes it very cumbersome. I would love this tool if navigation were more open and the features as fluid as in the previous tool.

Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:26:55 AM
Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve wrote:
I would like to see the + and - sizing tools back as well as the handles found on images for resizing purposes.

Right now my images are a generic large size able to be used on any product I choose. If I can not size these images to be a specific size for any given product I can't use them.

My question to you Scott is am I missing these tools I've mentioned above or are they no longer going to be available?

The handles are still there, you can resize by dragging the squares at the corners of the images. You can rotate, too, with a handle attached to the image.

There are definitely some fine-tuning changes I'd like to see and I've emailed in my feedback. BUT...I don't see mention of my favorite new feature on this thread so thought I'd mention it. We now have character spacing! No more having to type a space between letters to achieve a spaced look, which had to have been super annoying for customers when customizing invitations. This is a massive improvement in both the designer and customer experience and I'm so happy Smile
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:35:19 AM
I'd like to be excited about character spacing if only I could find the bloody "sell it" button. *sigh*

I'm sorry, but I get a blocked out symbols on those text tools Space Evenly & Alignment.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:59:46 AM
I'm not seeing this new design layout. Maybe not on the browser at work only.
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:00:06 PM
Scott wrote:

Thanks, Scott. There will always be frustration when what we got used to using appears to be upended and therefore appears to be bad programming, but in sitting here thinking about the previous interface, it certainly had its problems. Not necessarily bugs, but problems.

I've already listed my problems with a number of the problems, so instead, here's what I'd love seeing:

No change to those filters (other than the weird names Grin ) and maybe even more of them. They're downright cool.

I love the rotate tool but will sorely miss the precision of exact degrees, which I periodically require. Eyeballing a 45-degree rotation might be messy.

Don't lose snap! But do return incremental moves. We need them.

I got thinking about that "Done" button, which seems to have replaced the "Sell It" button. Does this mean we get a chance to say, "Whoops! I thought everything was perfect but it wasn't. Okay, so I'll just go back in and fix it."

I haven't yet tested the kerning, but if it does the job, that hurray for that one!

That's it for now. No doubt there will be more later.