Locking Layers Together
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 8:59:21 PM
I would love to see a feature in the design tool that would let us lock multiple layers together. I know I can control click to temporarily lock them, but I'd like to be able to lock them more permanently, almost to merge them - or at least to lock them until I tell them to unlock. This would really come in handy for aligning things when, for example, you've got a group of text boxes arranged together and you want to center the whole arrangement in the art board... or center the arrangement within a shape, or something like that. I know I can do that by control clicking them all and then dragging - but if you're working with a large number of objects, the design tool really bogs down and there's a big delay in the time you drag and the time it appears on the screen, so it's very easy to overshoot - and when you use the arrows to move, you don't get the green lines to tell you when you've lined up with another object... at least I don't seem to get them.

Not sure if I've communicated that very well - would love to hear what other folks think and/or if there's an easier way to accomplish what I'm trying to do.
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 7:07:44 AM
I would say 'group' rather than 'lock', but that's just because it's the terminology I'm familiar with from my graphics application.
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 9:22:57 AM
Probably a better word choice. I use GIMP and when you "lock" the layers a little chain image appears, so that's why I think of it as locking! Smile
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 9:23:35 AM
Can't you just select the layers you want to work with all at once then move them?

or to center them I select all the layers I want then hit Alt+S and they all snap to center.

then I can move them in small steps by keeping them all selected and hit CTRL + arrow key... for the direction I want to go.

using the keyboard shortcuts for things like this is actually more accurate than drag and drop.

you can also hide the layers you don't want to work with until you get finished then unhide them.

I don't know if any of this will help you or not but there it is... Smile
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 9:38:29 AM
ZingerBug wrote:
I would love to see a feature in the design tool that would let us lock multiple layers together. I know I can control click to temporarily lock them, but I'd like to be able to lock them more permanently, almost to merge them - or at least to lock them until I tell them to unlock. This would really come in handy for aligning things when, for example, you've got a group of text boxes arranged together and you want to center the whole arrangement in the art board... or center the arrangement within a shape, or something like that. I know I can do that by control clicking them all and then dragging - but if you're working with a large number of objects, the design tool really bogs down and there's a big delay in the time you drag and the time it appears on the screen, so it's very easy to overshoot - and when you use the arrows to move, you don't get the green lines to tell you when you've lined up with another object... at least I don't seem to get them.

Not sure if I've communicated that very well - would love to hear what other folks think and/or if there's an easier way to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

You can hold shift + click
or shift + CTRL + click

to mark several layers and move and align them at the same time.

I still would like to see a link function so when you mark one within the linked group you mark all. It would make it much easier for customers to edit complex designs with shapes and SVG files.

I'm undecided if I prefer them simply marked or as you say put them in a temporary merged state and lock their relation to each other in place. Both has its advantages and disadvantages.

The best thing would be to have both states. And while we are at it, I still miss the functionality to change the level order of more than one at a time. It is very annoying that this function is no longer available.
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 9:42:32 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Can't you just select the layers you want to work with all at once then move them?

That can get really painful if you're using many separate objects (Especially since we can't name layers in the design tool.) I couldn't function without the grouping feature in my graphics application.
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 10:01:18 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

That can get really painful if you're using many separate objects (Especially since we can't name layers in the design tool.) I couldn't function without the grouping feature in my graphics application.

I can see how they would and not everyone has the same way of doing things, so what works for me might not work for you.

What is that you say? YMMV?
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 12:17:26 PM
or to center them I select all the layers I want then hit Alt+S and they all snap to center.

OOOOOhhhhh… very helpful, Thank You! I assumed that would just put all the layers on top of each other like it does if you use the align tool. So perhaps what I need are two more keyboard shortcuts that work like Alt+s except instead of centering it both horizontally and vertically, I'd like something that would let me choose one or the other.

The problem I'm having with selecting and moving as a group is that if you're working with large numbers of layers (20+) the going is slow, so if you try to drag you inevitably overshoot, and if you use the keyboard shortcuts a) the magic lines don't appear to tell you when you're aligned with the artboard or other objects and b) it takes FOREVER. It would be really nice if there was some middle ground between Shift+arrow (which moves in giant chunks) and Control+arrow (which moves in itty bitty steps.)

Wait, wait!!! Hold the presses! I just discovered that hitting the arrow without either shift or control DOES actually move it a medium amount. Why do I never seem to think of these things? Gah! Well, that'll help!

Well anyway, I'd still love if:

1) the magic lines would appear when using keyboard shortcuts
2) we could have some way to center a group of objects either horizontally or vertically but noth both
3) I could link/lock/merge several layers so that I could have better alighment possibilities. Like for example, with this invitation I wanted to consider the couples' names with the and between them as one object, and the "wedding celebration" with the tag line above as another object. That way I could get the spacing between all of my "objects" to be equal. As it is, I just had to eyeball it and hope for the best. Perhaps the same thing could be accomplished if you could have multiple fonts/sizes within one text object?

Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 12:34:13 PM
ZingerBug wrote:

OOOOOhhhhh… very helpful, Thank You! I assumed that would just put all the layers on top of each other like it does if you use the align tool. So perhaps what I need are two more keyboard shortcuts that work like Alt+s except instead of centering it both horizontally and vertically, I'd like something that would let me choose one or the other.

The problem I'm having with selecting and moving as a group is that if you're working with large numbers of layers (20+) the going is slow, so if you try to drag you inevitably overshoot, and if you use the keyboard shortcuts a) the magic lines don't appear to tell you when you're aligned with the artboard or other objects and b) it takes FOREVER. It would be really nice if there was some middle ground between Shift+arrow (which moves in giant chunks) and Control+arrow (which moves in itty bitty steps.)

Wait, wait!!! Hold the presses! I just discovered that hitting the arrow without either shift or control DOES actually move it a medium amount. Why do I never seem to think of these things? Gah! Well, that'll help!

Well anyway, I'd still love if:

1) the magic lines would appear when using keyboard shortcuts
2) we could have some way to center a group of objects either horizontally or vertically but noth both
3) I could link/lock/merge several layers so that I could have better alighment possibilities. Like for example, with this invitation I wanted to consider the couples' names with the and between them as one object, and the "wedding celebration" with the tag line above as another object. That way I could get the spacing between all of my "objects" to be equal. As it is, I just had to eyeball it and hope for the best. Perhaps the same thing could be accomplished if you could have multiple fonts/sizes within one text object?

Try this:

Select several items, open align and choose center vertical or horizontal

The click on either of the center buttons in the align will do what you describe here. What you seek is already available. You can edit the blue marked layer in several ways and the group will take on the alignment, spacing, across the selection or the artboard change colors to all four elements.

If you mix SVG with fonts and with PDF or PNG only the options work that all formats have in common. Even though you can define a color for fonts and shapes and SVG you have to define the color for fonts and SVG separately. You can define colors of SVGs and Shapes marked together.

Pay attention to red and green guidelines when you move them with the mouse free hand. Green lines tell when design elements align to each other and the red line tells you when it is centered to the artboard.

·△·
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 2:29:23 PM
in the layers view on the left, you can hold shift and click to select the first item in a series, then select the last item and it will select those and all itmens in between to perform a move or function. just as you would in your general pc folders. this layers view is so handy when items are underneath..as you all probably know Smile it may help someone who hasn't thought of it..
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 2:44:06 PM
Viviendules…

I think I'm either not communicating my issue or not understanding what you're saying. Maybe a picture will help.

Is there some way to use the align tool to align the group rather than the individual objects?
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 2:54:01 PM
ZingerBug wrote:
Viviendules…

I think I'm either not communicating my issue or not understanding what you're saying. Maybe a picture will help.

Is there some way to use the align tool to align the group rather than the individual objects?

So it is about linking layers and fixating their relation to each other so you can align them as a formation. That currently is only possible with dragging and paying attention to the guidelines. When the red guideline pops up the formation is centered.

Linking and fixating a formation so it acts as a single design element is a useful function to have, indeed.
Smile
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 2:59:34 PM
Have you got the snapping feature turned on? (under settings) A green line should appear when the group is centered to the artboard. So you could drag the whole group until you saw that line maybe?
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 3:07:17 PM
mothersdaisy wrote:
Have you got the snapping feature turned on? (under settings) A green line should appear when the group is centered to the artboard. So you could drag the whole group until you saw that line maybe?

Green is in relation to other design elements.
Red is in relation to the art board. When the red line appears it is centered to the print area.
·△·
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 3:28:20 PM
mothersdaisy wrote:

That's really the only way to align a group that I can find, but the red and green lines don't appear when you use the keyboard shortcuts (unless I'm missing something), and apparently my hand is just not steady enough to move the group horizontally but not vertically or vice versa. Even with the constrained drag on (shift drag) I have troubles keeping it in line. It's made worse when you're trying to align a whole pile of objects (like a seating chart with 30 tables or something) because there's such a delay between when you move the mouse and when the movement appears on the screen.
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 3:28:33 PM
Once you snap the group of layers to center with alt+s now you can move the group using the arrow keys, you already stated that you know how shift +arrow and CTRL +arrow work to give you smaller or larger movements. You can move the whole group as long as all layers in your group are highlighted. It is a little tedious but I do it all the time and it works.
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 3:35:06 PM
do you remember the directional pad we used to have with the old design tool?

Well when they took that away they enabled the keyboard controls as a replacement to it.

So ALT+S became the plus sign in the center

and the arrow keys became the the directions with shift for large jumps and CTRL for small ones.

we were supposed to be able to jump diagonally too by pressing two buttons at once (up and left or down and left ect...) but I have never been able to get that to work.

ETA: I don't know what people with touch screens are supposed to do... I guess that is why I have always thought it was best to design on a computer or laptop that has a keyboard.
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 8:52:22 AM
vivendulies wrote:
mothersdaisy wrote:

Green is in relation to other design elements.
Red is in relation to the art board. When the red line appears it is centered to the print area.
·△·

Thanks! Roses That makes sense.
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 10:58:08 AM
ALT+S is still not working for me.

Pressing "alt" key and "s" key simultaneously. - nothing happens

I've tried combining with Capital S, cntrl key, and several other combinations and still no movement.

I've settled for using the arrow keys to move things, or just dragging the object.

Using Windows 10 and Firefox - anyone have any ideas as to how to get keyboard shortcuts to work? (I believe some actually do work, but definitely not the center shortcut discussed).
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 11:02:16 AM
BKMuir wrote:
ALT+S is still not working for me.

Pressing "alt" key and "s" key simultaneously. - nothing happens

I've tried combining with Capital S, cntrl key, and several other combinations and still no movement.

I've settled for using the arrow keys to move things, or just dragging the object.

Using Windows 10 and Firefox - anyone have any ideas as to how to get keyboard shortcuts to work? (I believe some actually do work, but definitely not the center shortcut discussed).

do you have snapping enabled in the design tool?

I am not sure it that makes a difference or not but worth checking.