Lack of Professionalism on Store Front
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:14:22 PM
I am brand new to Zazzle & had high hopes but have so far been extremely frustrated with the setup of the store front. I understand that Zazzle sees most sales come through the marketplace, but the fact is the store front does exist and it should look as professional as possible. It's supposed to be a representation of the store and it's products.

My grievances are as follows:

1. All I want to have shown on the store front are Categories, which seemed simple enough until I attempted to make it happen. Only three categories are visible when set to 'show all' & when I set it to show only one in particular NONE are displayed. Why can I not choose how many are displayed and which ones? Why is it three (not 'all' as stated) or just one (or nothing apparently)?

2. Clicking on 'View All Categories' takes me to the products page, not the categories page. When viewing as a potential customer it does the same thing, but shows the three previously displayed categories above the seemingly random jumble of products. A link telling you it will show you all the categories should do just that.

3. I was expecting to see a way to choose how many products are displayed when you choose to show products on the store front. Instead I find myself with an odd numbered mess that just looks bad.

4. Another thing I thought would be possible was arranging products. I was not making products 'in order', so to speak, because I was anticipating being able to rearrange them later. Now I know better, but that is still a problem because it seems that items get placed randomly. It's not even in order of creation, a product will just show up somewhere on the page and it changes. If I edit anything about the product it moves & I can't do anything about it. There is no cohesive order to the way the products page is laid out.

1,3 & 4 seem like basic abilities that store owners should have to me, but what's annoying me the most at the moment is the fact that 'show all categories' doesn't do what what it says it does at all.

For now my store is set to private and I will continue to populate it with products, but this is a pain in the behind! I want to open up my store, I'll work around the issues with the knowledge that most things are found through the marketplace, but if I put my link on my Polyvore, like I planned to, I want people to see something that looks nice & not this mess!
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:47:55 PM
Don't worry about what folk from polyvore will see you wont get traffic from there anyway. Polyvore list Zazzle products as out of stock. It is a huge waste of time.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:59:51 AM
mailboxdisco wrote:
Don't worry about what folk from polyvore will see you wont get traffic from there anyway. Polyvore list Zazzle products as out of stock. It is a huge waste of time.

I saw that issue discussed here too, but I was hoping to list just the link to my store as my 'website', which I did to test and it does work, but if I do that now & anyone does click on it they'll get an eyeful of the hideousness (maybe a hyperbole) that is my store front Sad This presents the same problem with listing it on Pinterest as my website. It may not usually generate clicks or sales, but if even one person would have found the store that way it's lost to me now!

Actually, now I'd like to add one more grievance to my previous list:

5. Why can't the store front be centered? Why is it off to the left with so much unbalanced white space? Again, this is an aesthetic issue I thought I would be able to change. Is there any way to get at the code and change things yourself or is it all 'automated'?
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:27:13 AM
PinkParfait wrote:
Is there any way to get at the code and change things yourself or is it all 'automated'?

Our storefronts are created via a template of sorts, one that's the same for the multitude of shopkeepers. We get a certain amount of basic leeway in what shows in our stores, being able to turn things off or on. To allow each shopkeeper to alter the template radically might work for some, but if you think about it, the majority of people don't have such capabilities but are often too willing to try. The entire site could end up looking like a carnival.

I'm not completely in love with my storefront either, but the inability to alter it is, overall, probably a good idea.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:06:04 AM
colorwash wrote:
PinkParfait wrote:
Is there any way to get at the code and change things yourself or is it all 'automated'?

.... if you think about it, the majority of people don't have such capabilities but are often too willing to try. The entire site could end up looking like a carnival.

That's what it used to be like with everyone choosing there own page and text colors. yellow text on purple, green on blue etc.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:26:04 AM
colorwash wrote:
Our storefronts are created via a template of sorts, one that's the same for the multitude of shopkeepers. We get a certain amount of basic leeway in what shows in our stores, being able to turn things off or on. To allow each shopkeeper to alter the template radically might work for some, but if you think about it, the majority of people don't have such capabilities but are often too willing to try. The entire site could end up looking like a carnival.

I'm not completely in love with my storefront either, but the inability to alter it is, overall, probably a good idea.

I'm not looking for big changes. I can understand wanting a more cohesive, overall layout for all stores on Zazzle, but seriously, why in the world does 'Show All Categories' not do what it says it does?? That is STILL bothering me the most right now. >Sad

All I want is to show my categories, let customers choose one to visit and move about the store with ease. I don't want random products showing up even when I choose to display them from A-Z (yeah, they move around then too). Basically I want things to work the way they say they do. Is that too much to ask?

Also, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. There has got to be a happy medium, like keeping the color schemes all the same (white background, black text) but allowing creators to choose to center their store front or put something to one one or the other. Really though, again, my main problem is the fact that things don't work the way they say they do. That's not a good first impression and I'm really frustrated with this issue.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:35:39 AM
My store DOES show all 14 categories. Are any of your categories newly-created or missing the cover image? It can take a week for new categories and new products to show up on the store front. If a category does not have a cover image, it will not show up.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:44:26 AM
1. Do you have category images and do they have products, you may have to wait a while until the products are indexed until your categories show.

2. If your in your back end store it takes you your products but if you are in the public store it will take you to all categories if you have them enabled.

3. I think you can show feature products, but I never use that

4. No you can't arrange products. I think you can in the back end but have never tried it and don't see any need to.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:56:00 AM
custom_shoez wrote:
I think you can show feature products, but I never use that
Yes, you can still have 'featured products' on the home page. I think it's limited to 12 now.

And as custom_shoez and SSHappyStore have said, it can take a while for products to appear in your store. Category changes can also take time to show correctly in-store, and categories won't show until there are products in them or if they don't have a cover image.
Sometimes stores don't look as expected until everything has been fully indexed so that the system knows how many products there are and exactly where they are, and the time taken for this can be variable.

Steve.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:13:49 AM
You could probably have a storefront just the way you want it at PODs that charge *shrugs*
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:33:01 AM
SSHappyStore wrote:
My store DOES show all 14 categories. Are any of your categories newly-created or missing the cover image? It can take a week for new categories and new products to show up on the store front. If a category does not have a cover image, it will not show up.

I was about to post an update that it is now showing the ones I have set to visible, but they were were all populated with products, all have cover images, and were created & set to visible at the same time so I still don't understand why it was working for some and not others. That was my main complaint & I'm glad to see it's been taken care of.

Gina ©gleem wrote:
You could probably have a storefront just the way you want it at PODs that charge *shrugs*

I realize that this being a free service makes for less mobility as far as something like a store front is concerned, but I would think making it as customer oriented as possible would be the main focus and the fact that products end up so jumbled is an issue from that perspective.

In any case I guess I'll just go with using categories and collections, because it is possible to arrange collections, and hope no one ever clicks the 'products' button.

Thank you everyone for your comments, information and suggestions Smile
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:44:22 AM
I have to agree with you...they did offer more customization before,and I liked it much better. A storefront should look nice, whether most people actually see it or not.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:48:30 AM
Did you wait for your products and categories to be indexed? Indexing happens once a day.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 11:11:13 AM
PinkParfait wrote:
I am brand new to Zazzle & had high hopes but have so far been extremely frustrated with the setup of the store front. I understand that Zazzle sees most sales come through the marketplace, but the fact is the store front does exist and it should look as professional as possible. It's supposed to be a representation of the store and it's products.

My grievances are as follows:

1. All I want to have shown on the store front are Categories, which seemed simple enough until I attempted to make it happen. Only three categories are visible when set to 'show all' & when I set it to show only one in particular NONE are displayed. Why can I not choose how many are displayed and which ones? Why is it three (not 'all' as stated) or just one (or nothing apparently)?

2. Clicking on 'View All Categories' takes me to the products page, not the categories page. When viewing as a potential customer it does the same thing, but shows the three previously displayed categories above the seemingly random jumble of products. A link telling you it will show you all the categories should do just that.

3. I was expecting to see a way to choose how many products are displayed when you choose to show products on the store front. Instead I find myself with an odd numbered mess that just looks bad.

4. Another thing I thought would be possible was arranging products. I was not making products 'in order', so to speak, because I was anticipating being able to rearrange them later. Now I know better, but that is still a problem because it seems that items get placed randomly. It's not even in order of creation, a product will just show up somewhere on the page and it changes. If I edit anything about the product it moves & I can't do anything about it. There is no cohesive order to the way the products page is laid out.

1,3 & 4 seem like basic abilities that store owners should have to me, but what's annoying me the most at the moment is the fact that 'show all categories' doesn't do what what it says it does at all.

For now my store is set to private and I will continue to populate it with products, but this is a pain in the behind! I want to open up my store, I'll work around the issues with the knowledge that most things are found through the marketplace, but if I put my link on my Polyvore, like I planned to, I want people to see something that looks nice & not this mess!

You've basically said everything I've thought! I gave up working on my Zazzle shops a long time ago, for a number of reasons, and just came back recently with resolve to get things back in some kind of shape. For the most part, it's been a frustrating...exasperating...experience. I posted a thread similar to yours on the 'store' board, asking how to make my shops look professional. I cannot stand the jumbled mess of random designs/products that confronts visitors. I just want my shops here to look clean, crisp, organized, and professional--like my shops do at CP.
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2015 9:26:05 AM
colorwash wrote:
PinkParfait wrote:

fyi
I did a survey (11280 subscribers) on another of my websites re front pages in general, 11108 hated drop down menus, preferring sidebar links
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2015 1:45:01 PM
It is pretty much a mute issue what we want on our stores and has been for sometime now.

I do not get store sales nor visitors on most of my stores so as far as I am concerned what my store looks like is at the bottom of my concerns. My concerns are making money. On my Niche store however I do have a website that is organized for companies to pick multiple products which we do not also have that benefit on our products here. Some POD's have this some have that, unfortunately none are as smart as we are with ideas...Laughing

At another POD I do not use my stores at all as in a year have not had one shop sale. I make on a average 20 sales a day there at their Market Place and they feature my work a lot which helps and every sale I make bumps me up so stores are not all they are cracked up to be. Although the royalty sucks I do not have to bother with anything but adding new art, and following a few people each week to get a reciprocal follow which is required now monthly to keep my pittance of a markup. But it is what it is. And here it is what it is.

Work on getting your art out there, unique, and promote yourself as no one and no store front is going to do it for you.

Good luck and if you are in that 3 percent that gets it via a unique design that hits pay dirt then luck has nothing to do with it and be very happy....

Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:46:20 PM
The jumble of products that show on the products page are sorted by default for "most popular." A customer could change the setting and see newer designs; I don't know how often that happens. I don't care for the jumbled look, but there is reason to this madness, in that the products that are most popular may be most desirable to new visitors.

Hang in there,
M
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 7:44:41 PM
A category won't show up if there are no products in it. So you can't make categories and have them show in your store with nothing until you get around to adding things.

Also, if I make a new category, I make at least one product for it so that it shows when I go to make a bunch.

It takes about 48 hours for a new category and product to show in my store.
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 7:50:03 PM
As far as categories, I only have a dozen or so showing at first. When I click "Show All Categories" they all appear.

I just wish the "Show All Categories" button was BIG. I am wondering if that's part of my sale slowdown. Shoppers assume I have only those categories that show on the first initial page when going to the store and are not clicking for more.