Is this Transfer view on product page an A/B test?
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 5:34:33 AM
If so, my vote is YES!

For those of you who are not seeing it, the feed is found underneath the "Other Designs You Might Like".

My only negative thought would be the "About this design" and product information is pushed further down the page.

But it is great to see the customer can be presented with a better visual for products to transfer the design to.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 6:04:20 AM
I'm not seeing it, so either it's an A/B or it's being slowly rolled out.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 6:04:31 AM
My overall reaction to this is positive, but I have questions:

Will it omit products the designer has already created?

How does it 'decide' which products to suggest? Will it be items with a similar shape/aspect ratio (and therefore more likely a better fit?

Will it be products similar to the one being viewed? (For example, if the customer is looking at a necklace, will it show them earrings?)

Or will it just be whatever Zazzle thinks is popular, or items covered by whatever sale is currently running?

Something else?
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 6:25:12 AM
I've seen waaaaaaaay too many Transfers where the Design or parts of it aren't properly aligned with each other or the Design Area or backgrounds don't "fill" to be excited about putting this front and center.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 6:36:16 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I've seen waaaaaaaay too many Transfers where the Design or parts of it aren't properly aligned with each other or the Design Area or backgrounds don't "fill" to be excited about putting this front and center.

I've likewise found misaligned parts to be an issue. I don't think I've seen it when transferring single image designs, probably because I wouldn't do that anyway - I'd be more likely to just pull up the product blank and add the image.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 7:09:56 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

And on the other hand, when it works fine it gives me ideas on which products I should add the design to and easily do so. Smile
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 7:53:42 AM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
And on the other hand, when it works fine it gives me ideas on which products I should add the design to and easily do so. Smile

Can't dispute that it can be a good tool, but like Collections, RSS Feeds, and anything else, it's only valuable when it works. Displaying it more prominently when it has - IMO - a high likelihood to frustrate users wouldn't be my game plan. But not my decision. Cast my vote, and that's all I can do.
Smile
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 8:30:55 AM
Yep, it's an AB test.

The products that appear in the pod are determined based on the product appearing in the product page. So each shirt product page should contain the same products in the "transfer this design..." pod, which might lead one to believe that the "transfer this design..." pod will always contain relatively similar types of items. In other words, these aren't random products, and will hopefully help lead to a bump in sales if a customer likes your design but wants it on a slightly different product.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 8:58:07 AM
Scott wrote:
Yep, it's an AB test.

The products that appear in the pod are determined based on the product appearing in the product page. So each shirt product page should contain the same products in the "transfer this design..." pod, which might lead one to believe that the "transfer this design..." pod will always contain relatively similar types of items. In other words, these aren't random products, and will hopefully help lead to a bump in sales if a customer likes your design but wants it on a slightly different product.

Ah - that makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Scott!
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 9:08:10 AM
Yesterday I saw "OTHER PRODUCTS IN My Store" - which I thought was great!

Today, I am seeing neither this thread's transfer, nor the "pod" from yesterday.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 9:34:21 AM
What's the "pod"? The container in which the transfer-to products are seen?
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 9:50:34 AM
Colorwash wrote:
What's the "pod"? The container in which the transfer-to products are seen?

Yes, or at least that's my assumption. "Pod" has many interesting uses. Our assistants at the day job are located in "pods"; we do, however, refrain from calling them "pod people" < movie reference.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 10:06:06 AM
Sorry, but my reaction is negative, very negative.

1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Zazzle reduced support and actively discouraged the use of Quick Create in large measure to avoid littering the marketplace with items featuring headless bodies, misplaced and/or partial texts, poorly centered and otherwise faulty designs, etc. To be sure, the items featured in the "Transfer this Design" strip won't make it into the marketplace. But, I actually consider this much worse: it makes the designer of the main featured product look inept.

2) If I wanted my designs on anything and everything, I'd do it myself. The current "Transfer this Design" feature to the right of our descriptions is already sufficient for that certain someone who might want a one-off product we don't currently offer. And, I assume that such a person would transfer the design with a modicum of care and thoughtfulness. Too, the 't' designation in our earnings statements should be enough to alert a designer to the potential marketability of an overlooked product.

3) And I realize this objection might pertain only to me, but... My store is devoted to public domain religious art. There are items, say, diaper covers, on which I don't want to actively encourage people to put my designs. Of course, it *is* a free country and people can and will do as they like. {Shrug!} But, IMHO, there are already plenty of what I consider tasteless examples of 'religious' art in the marketplace, some of which were no doubt done in Quick Create.

At any rate, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

And, I am not reassured that the designs are transferred to related products. That was not what I was seeing.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 11:03:31 AM
Scott wrote:
Yep, it's an AB test.

That's great, in theory, and I could see the benefit if it all worked well. I've created something on a square Design area and used transfer thinking "OH! This would look great on a square Pillow!" and it's a mess. Maybe my newer Designs just aren't suited. Not trying to argue or change anyone's mind (futile! lol). Just speaking about my experience as something to consider.

In any event, @Saints brings up great points about the possibility of bad combos. Plus, Zippos aren't allowed to have [insert giant subjective list] and some country flags can't go on [insert list]. Presume all that will be considered.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 11:18:01 AM
Saints - I understand your concerns, and it sounds like turning off design transfer might be the best route for you. This will allow you to ensure each product fits your liking/beliefs/intentions/etc.

RoyK - I've fielded several complaints about Product A not looking good on Product B, and my answer is always "if the design is a mess post-transfer the customer will fix it." Adding to that, please also remember that each product is reviewed by a group of humans, and part of the review process is ensuring that designs look good. If there are any questions then we reach out to the customer to confirm that the design was meant to appear that way. But, overall, customers can figure out the design tool. if they couldn't then we probably would have been out of business a long time ago.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 11:36:24 AM
Scott wrote:
RoyK - I've fielded several complaints about Product A not looking good on Product B, and my answer is always "if the design is a mess post-transfer the customer will fix it." Adding to that, please also remember that each product is reviewed by a group of humans, and part of the review process is ensuring that designs look good. If there are any questions then we reach out to the customer to confirm that the design was meant to appear that way. But, overall, customers can figure out the design tool. if they couldn't then we probably would have been out of business a long time ago.

I trust many customers to fix things - I know they're not stupid - and I know, too, CS reaches out when things look off (they've done so with me). I also know the business model works. None of those would be my concern.

There have been things I've tried to Transfer, as a Designer, that frustrated me so badly I decided I just didn't need to offer that Design on that Product. (Copy/paste and/or Transfer patterned text element most recently.) That's all I'm saying - there are people who will walk away. For that reason, if it were my site, I might not wave Transfer so obviously. But it's not my site. ;)

I do appreciate that you're taking the time to respond - thanks for that. I can either leave it on or turn it off. My choice. Will see how it plays out.
Grin
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 12:03:29 PM
Scott wrote:
Adding to that, please also remember that each product is reviewed by a group of humans, and part of the review process is ensuring that designs look good. If there are any questions then we reach out to the customer to confirm that the design was meant to appear that way. But, overall, customers can figure out the design tool. if they couldn't then we probably would have been out of business a long time ago.

I think many designers either don't remember or not know at all that the process is always reviewed. Scott that's a rumor everyone should know.

Also knowing you can turn off the transfer process in your store is always a good thing to remember.

Thanks again for chiming in. I'm hoping the process stays. Smile
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 12:15:03 PM
I'm not part of the A/B test Crying so I will have to go with LM Gildersleeve's screenshot. I have high hopes for this. Transfer This Design is a wonderful feature but so subtle and easy to miss. This makes it much more obvious. Hopefully that can unlock it's potential.

Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 2:02:54 PM
Oh, don’t get me wrong! I’m neither a prude nor a fanatic nor a censor! In fact, I’ve run afoul of Zazzle’s Content Management for sex and violence in some of my artworks of saints. (Who would have thunk it?!?). I'm a retired university-level Art Historian who just happens to have a nice collection of pre-1923 public domain religious images to share from this platform.

Re: 1) I found the mixed messages confusing, that is: Don’t slap your images on everything with Quick Create. Let us do it with our Transfer This Design algorithm! Gildersleeve’s example shows a pattern transferred. I can see where repetitive designs can transfer over easily. But, the things I saw with a figured image just looked bad: a vertical greeting card with text above and below the image transferred to a horizontal postcard with the upper text badly overlapping only a partial image and no lower text at all; the center part of a vertical badge transferred onto a horizontal one when I had two perfectly good horizontal badges already; etc. I found the ‘crawl’ items aesthetically displeasing and would rather not have had them appearing on my product page making me look guilty-by-association of bad designing.

Re: 2) In principle, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the “Transfer This Design” utility when used judiciously by the customer, an actual human being. I trust our customers. A customer who likes a given design and wants it on a product not immediately available is apt to transfer the design and tweak it in a way the algorithm can’t and doesn’t. If an algorithm could consistently design as well as human beings, we all might as well pick up our pencils, paintbrushes, and pens and quit designing. The upshot is I wouldn’t turn off the “Transfer this Design” feature as it exists now. I might even display it more prominently. However, I might, given the option, turn off the crawl rather than have it provide poor examples.

Re: 3) While I might find plastering a baby’s butt with a saint’s image tasteless, I can just barely imagine someone somewhere finding it ‘cute’. “Different strokes…”. At any rate, I can only control what I do, and I choose not to design certain product types. I don’t design T-shirts either just because I don’t feel like dealing with the whole light colors/dark colors conundrum. So, if someone wants to design religious diaper covers (which I would consider tasteless; note I didn’t say blasphemous or anything of that ilk) or tasteful (IMO) religious T-shirts, so be it! It’s their prerogative.

Zazzle is going to do whatever Zazzle decides to do. And, if or when the crawl (or whatever it’s called) becomes a fait accompli, I will decide how I’m going to proceed. It’s all any of us can do.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 2:32:19 PM
Quote:
it sounds like turning off design transfer might be the best route for

so opt out is going to be an option with this new thing? I like that. Not saying I want to opt out right now, it is too early to tell but it is nice to give us the option whenever possible!

eta: I am also not part of the test this time and I would add that since the whole transfer thing was introduced I have only had one design used that way by a shopper. As it turned out it was a product I never would have thought of putting that design on.

I went and tried it out of curiosity to see how it would look and it looked ok, but not great and at first I thought the sale would go pink but it never did, so apparently they liked it. I also don't know what other things such as text or filters they may have added to it.

Bottom line is it was a sale I wouldn't have gotten any other way... that is good.

The only problem I had when design transfer was brand new was the royalty transfer and Zazzle answered that question for me so I don't have any reason to think I would want to opt out of this new version just yet.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 3:00:39 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Quote:

so opt out is going to be an option with this new thing?

It has been an option since the beginning. Check your Advanced Settings.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 3:10:32 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Quote:

Oh I knew that on the old version but I meant the new one if it ends up being a separate thing. Thanks Gina! hope you are staying safe and dry.
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 3:48:58 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Quote:

Oh I knew that on the old version but I meant the new one if it ends up being a separate thing. Thanks Gina! hope you are staying safe and dry.

Near as I can tell, we can't opt out on what LM showed, just the allowance of design transfer.

Thank you. (I'll keep that discussion to the other thread lol)