Is there a way to outline text?
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:13:06 AM
Within Zazzle, for adding text, I see only options to change the font and the color, of text, but what about outlining text with glitter, or character styles, that make the text pop more? Is there anyway to do that?
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:51:56 AM
No, there's no way to do it, not with the design tool anyway. It's something you'd have to do in your image editor, but that would mean the text is actually an image, which a customer wouldn't be able to personalize.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:37:14 AM
I would caution you to outline text from my experience. Long story short I have some products where the text is outlined. I've recently ordered those products and found that in the printing process, the text comes out blurry because of the outline. It's not zazzle's fault but if the process is similar to the image transfer process of a mug, the mug text isn't as crisp as what is in the images here on Z. If you use a thin stroke text, it will most likely become a mess.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:19:40 AM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
If you use a thin stroke text, it will most likely become a mess.

Additionally, any font composed of delicate lines can end up being difficult to see even when everything goes just right when printed.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:24:05 AM
You can create a drop shadow. In the design tool add your text. Leave the color black. Copy and paste that text. Change the font color of this layer. Then grab it and shift it slightly.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 9:19:45 AM
thank you... that sounds a bit complicated. too bad they don't just haver a drop shadow option.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 9:20:37 AM
Colorwash wrote:
No, there's no way to do it, not with the design tool anyway. It's something you'd have to do in your image editor, but that would mean the text is actually an image, which a customer wouldn't be able to personalize.

OK, thanks for your kind reply
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 9:21:36 AM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
I would caution you to outline text from my experience. Long story short I have some products where the text is outlined. I've recently ordered those products and found that in the printing process, the text comes out blurry because of the outline. It's not zazzle's fault but if the process is similar to the image transfer process of a mug, the mug text isn't as crisp as what is in the images here on Z. If you use a thin stroke text, it will most likely become a mess.

OK, I was trying to find a way to make the text stand out more-- it's on top of a photo.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 9:23:46 AM
Since you are all being so helpful here (it's my first post on the forum. I've just joined dazzle) can I ask you how I duplicate a design that I have made so I can use it on a different product? I have tried a few ways and cannot figure it out.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 9:58:06 AM
In my opinion, whether or not outlining, just like shadowing, works well is going to depend completely on the product, and whether or not it looks good is subjective. I don't ever like shadows on fabric, and love them on paper. what I may like, you may hate, respectfully. Smile

I've successfully used the same trick we use for shadows on outlines on paper products and have been happy with the results. I use a chunky/fat font, make 5 copies of it, the top one is a light color, and the bottom 4 are black (outline color). Each of the 4 black layers are nudged one tick up, right, down, and left. That gives an outline effect. Then make all the URL Parameters the same name, and if the customer changes the text, all 5 layers change.

Again, whether or not it works "well" is subjective. But it does work.

Smile
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 10:51:05 AM
chandi wrote:
Since you are all being so helpful here (it's my first post on the forum. I've just joined dazzle) can I ask you how I duplicate a design that I have made so I can use it on a different product? I have tried a few ways and cannot figure it out.

Go to the product page for the product you've already created, click to customize. You'll end up on the design screen. Select all image and text layers and press Control+C to copy (or use the Edit dropdown at upper left). Go to the new product you want to create, and before you do anything else, choose a background color (you can change it later). Press Control+V to paste what you copied (or use the Edit dropdown at upper left). Everything you copied should now be on the new product.

Make sure to close the browser tab for the original product.

Note: If any of the layers you're trying to copy have been locked, unlock them before copying. Otherwise, they won't be copied.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:50:30 PM
Colorwash wrote:
chandi wrote:

Go to the product page for the product you've already created, click to customize. You'll end up on the design screen. Select all image and text layers and press Control+C to copy (or use the Edit dropdown at upper left). Go to the new product you want to create, and before you do anything else, choose a background color (you can change it later). Press Control+V to paste what you copied (or use the Edit dropdown at upper left). Everything you copied should now be on the new product.

Make sure to close the browser tab for the original product.

Note: If any of the layers you're trying to copy have been locked, unlock them before copying. Otherwise, they won't be copied.

Super nice of you to explain this. While I am sure what you are saying works, it is not a method that is readily obvious, and it would be much easy if they had built in a "duplicate" button. Maybe at some point they'll add one.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:59:47 PM
chandi wrote:
Super nice of you to explain this. While I am sure what you are saying works, it is not a method that is readily obvious, and it would be much easy if they had built in a "duplicate" button. Maybe at some point they'll add one.

There will be a way to duplicate coming up, assuming the beta test they did recently is smoothed out and then goes live.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:10:31 PM
We can definitely forward these comments and feedback over! I think adding some sort of outline text/drop shadow would be a nice addition.

Maz wrote:
You can create a drop shadow. In the design tool add your text. Leave the color black. Copy and paste that text. Change the font color of this layer. Then grab it and shift it slightly.

This is how I usually do it too.
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:46:15 PM
Christine wrote:
We can definitely forward these comments and feedback over! I think adding some sort of outline text/drop shadow would be a nice addition.

Maz wrote:

Me too, but a new person needs to know when setting up the text template to make the URL parameter name the same on both colors so they both change with the same text field...

I guess you can have more than one text template because I did before someone (RoyK) told me about the parameters but it makes it much easier on the customer if they only have to change it once.
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 12:11:35 AM
Would be nice though eh?
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 4:47:42 AM
Christine wrote:

Maz wrote:

Myself as well but really it does depend on the product if the effect works. I would steer clear of doing this on mugs. The mugs I have received with this effect definitely have a slight blur.
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 8:03:08 AM
Maz wrote:

I tried this technique for the first time last night on this product.

I've used this design with white text before (and it came out great on the actual products I ordered for myself) but in this case "serenity" needed a little more contrast against the background because I had to adjust the text placement to fit the notebook which pushed it onto a lighter area of the background. Anyways, this technique worked nice. (Well, it did in the previews anyway, haven't seen it actually printed yet.) I didn't use true black though, I used different shades of light black/gray for each of the three big words, depending on how much contrast was needed, so the effect would be subtler.

Quote:
Me too, but a new person needs to know when setting up the text template to make the URL parameter name the same on both colors so they both change with the same text field...

That makes sense, if the customer changes the text from "Teresa" to "Tiffany" the underlying text effect layer needs to change with it. But, if they changed the color of Teresa wouldn't that also change the color of the underlying text effect layer, thus eliminating the effect as now both layers would be the same color?

Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 8:42:26 AM
ColeenZ wrote:
But, if they changed the color of Teresa wouldn't that also change the color of the underlying text effect layer, thus eliminating the effect as now both layers would be the same color?

No, only the text changes.