If only the "save" function occurred a little less frequently
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:02:35 AM
When the new design tool first showed up, the save function didn't occur for every least little thing we did. At this point, it seems to be activated by anything beyond a twitch of the mouse. I nudge an object up [save], nudge it up another notch [save], change my mind [save], and on it goes. It slows everything way down, and sometimes it causes a change to not be registered at all.

Could the save function be slowed down a bit?
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:07:49 AM
If we could get the SAVE button back (requested last year), in combination with a slow-down, that'd be nice.
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:13:18 AM
I agree: Slow it down and add back the Save button.
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:43:48 AM
Better to save too often than not enough, imho.

We have power bumps here sometimes right in the middle of what I am doing the power flashes off just long enough to shut down the computer unexpectedly and I know that when this happens I appreciate being able to continue with a saved product even if I have to choose from several of them. Once I came back online and found that it did not save and it was a complicated wedding guest book design I had to start all over from scratch and was almost discouraged enough to say forget about it...I would rather have to clean out my folder sometimes than not have saved designs. It would be good if it could just update one save each time instead of saving a whole bunch of copies of the same design...
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:23:37 AM
For goodness' sake, Shelli, save up your pennies and buy a power backup for your computer! I can't tell you how many times it's saved my bacon over the years, given that we're prone to blackouts in this area. I get up to 15 minutes of power from the backup, which is more than enough time to save stuff and shut down.
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:57:01 PM
Colorwash wrote:
For goodness' sake, Shelli, save up your pennies and buy a power backup for your computer! I can't tell you how many times it's saved my bacon over the years, given that we're prone to blackouts in this area. I get up to 15 minutes of power from the backup, which is more than enough time to save stuff and shut down.

Yes I really want one for Christmas! forget my two front teeth! I want a power backup! Happy
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:35:05 AM
I have one similar to this that I bought at Staples: https://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-RS-1000VA-8-Outlet-Power-Saving-UPS-BR1000G/product_852070 I'm sure it can be purchased at a lower price elsewhere.

I've had good experience with Schneider's APC brand.
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:58:55 AM
Colorwash wrote:

+1000

Living 8 miles from the nearest town and being on a rural coop electric company my power can go off a dozen times in an hour, no joke. I can't imagine how I survived before I got my APC power backup.

Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:06:23 AM
eclecticpastime wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

+1000

Living 8 miles from the nearest town and being on a rural coop electric company my power can go off a dozen times in an hour, no joke. I can't imagine how I survived before I got my APC power backup.

[edit] I got my APC 1300-1500 from Newegg .com at half price when I caught it on sale from one of their emails.

Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:10:58 AM
I personally just wish it would quit saving so fast. If I want to test a change I'd rather be the control so I don't end up with an aberration instead of what I originally designed.
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:37:34 AM
eclecticpastime wrote:
I personally just wish it would quit saving so fast. If I want to test a change I'd rather be the control so I don't end up with an aberration instead of what I originally designed.

Its incessant interference to the point of destructiveness is what happens when there's too much of a good thing. Vitamin A is good for you; too much of it will poison you.
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:20:40 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I have one similar to this that I bought at Staples: https://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-RS-1000VA-8-Outlet-Power-Saving-UPS-BR1000G/product_852070 I'm sure it can be purchased at a lower price elsewhere.

I've had good experience with Schneider's APC brand.

Thanks for the link! there is a Staples close by, I will wait for a sale... Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming!
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:00:19 AM
Your best bet is to research it, settle on a few that will do the trick for you, and then check prices online, but probably not ordering online because battery backups are HEAVY! Shipping could be alarming.
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 8:09:06 AM
Colorwash wrote:
When the new design tool first showed up, the save function didn't occur for every least little thing we did. At this point, it seems to be activated by anything beyond a twitch of the mouse. I nudge an object up [save], nudge it up another notch [save], change my mind [save], and on it goes. It slows everything way down, and sometimes it causes a change to not be registered at all.

Why? I'm unclear of what the benefit of this would be. I'm still not totally clear on how this is impacting anything. What is the drawback to this? How is it affecting your workflow?
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 8:35:15 AM
Scott wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Why? I'm unclear of what the benefit of this would be. I'm still not totally clear on how this is impacting anything. What is the drawback to this? How is it affecting your workflow?

A very good example of this is when we're moving two images by specific increments, for instance, mirror images on both sides of a mug. It can be a very fast process that's done by counting. One, two, three on the left and then one, two, three on the right. Then do it again until things are perfect. Unless you slow down because of the save process, you can end up not realizing that the process has interfered, skipping one of your increments. Once you spot it, you have to send both images back to the edges and start all over again.

That's one example, but I've had the save process block out other changes I've made, some of them immediately obvious, others not so much.

Basically, it slows down the work and can even create errors.

Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 9:11:08 AM
Colorwash - you are aware that during production the design is printed out and placed onto the mug by hand by a human being, right? Meaning that there's always going to be a bit of imperfection introduced during the production process.

Can you tell me more about other situations where the saving process has impacted your work? Can you tell me about times when saving your design has created errors?

If anyone else feels strongly about this please add your thoughts.
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 9:28:21 AM
Scott, it's not after-the-fact, not the final result after posting for sale, that's the problem; instead, it's the design process itself. The most noticeable thing is having to sit and wait while the save process does it's thing and then, finally, the tiny alteration we've made shows up on the design surface. That right there is where we periodically see that our change hasn't registered at all and we have to do it again. It's seen very specifically for those of us who work a lot with layers and shift their positions a little this way or that until the design is artistically balanced.