Font Chaos --- Too much
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 6:25:22 PM
What's the point of having several versions of a font... italic, bold, light... is it not possible to have one everything then an option to make it bold or italicized?
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 5:36:21 AM
That's not how it works. A font file contains one type of font. You can't really switch styles without opening up another file. And not all fonts come in different styles. Also they have different authors.
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:49:09 AM
The font quality is usually much better when they are individually created. HOPEFULLY, the font designer has taken into account things like how spacing between letters looks when each effect is applied, and also you can have a variety of weights which is really helpful when making especially smaller or larger text.

Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:55:39 AM
I suppose it's possible to show a font in its "normal" state and then have a dropdown to see any of its other states such as we have in various types of software, but in that case, we have to click a choice before we see the result. As we have it now, the varieties are right there in our faces. We don't have to click anything to see the differences. Hence, I prefer it just as it is.

PaperGrape, that's how the varieties in a font are created, each of them individually. What you may have seen is what programs such as Photoshop do, being able to simulate italic and bold. It's rarely as good as the real thing.
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 11:20:13 PM
As others stated, separate fonts are generally created for each of those. Using software to italicize or bold text might produce undesired results.

I would like to see a more trendy font list, though. 😁
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 11:31:14 PM
Kimberly Jones wrote:
As others stated, separate fonts are generally created for each of those. Using software to italicize or bold text might produce undesired results.

beleive me it use to be much more basic than this, this is quite a feast in comparison to a couple years ago...
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 2:31:59 AM
GillKnox wrote:
Kimberly Jones wrote:

beleive me it use to be much more basic than this, this is quite a feast in comparison to a couple years ago...

+1 x 100
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:41:15 AM
Fonts come in many different variants, not just in regular, bold and italic, and the fonts may differ in their shape, depending on what variant you choose.

I'm more than fine the way it is. An individual favorites section would be great, though, so you don't have to scroll through a ton of unused fonts you don't like to find your few favs.
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:53:59 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
Fonts come in many different variants, not just in regular, bold and italic, and the fonts may differ in their shape, depending on what variant you choose.

I'm more than fine the way it is. An individual favorites section would be great, though, so you don't have to scroll through a ton of unused fonts you don't like to find your few favs.

Love that idea! The fonts have such unrealistic names I never can remember the name of the one I have used.
It would be especially helpful when making matching products to be able to favorite the one you are using.
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:09:18 AM
+1 for a favorites list.
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:58:40 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
An individual favorites section would be great, though, so you don't have to scroll through a ton of unused fonts you don't like to find your few favs.

+1
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 11:03:48 AM
GillKnox wrote:
Kimberly Jones wrote:

lol True. This is an upgrade compared to what we had.
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 4:52:55 PM
Colorwash wrote:
+1 for a favorites list.

+1
I would use that option a lot Smile
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 6:06:20 PM
+1 for favorites list Idea
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:55:44 AM
Crying

I miss the font pairing examples that we used to have for a brief time. Can those be brought back some place?

Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:29:13 PM
Laura Sweat wrote:
Crying

I miss the font pairing examples that we used to have for a brief time. Can those be brought back some place?

They will be I am sure, in the design tool just like in the create tool only now they will be part of the secondary content, just like the backgrounds are today.
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:45:06 PM
I wish I hadn't waited to start converting my designs to ones without the customize button.
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:58:07 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I wish I hadn't waited to start converting my designs to ones without the customize button.

hindsight... Shocked

if it is any consolation I am still not finished converting all of mine yet either.
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 8:46:31 PM
🌼Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

hindsight... Shocked

if it is any consolation I am still not finished converting all of mine yet either.

I wouldn't convert all in advance, without knowing how the possible royalty loss of the secondary content share compares with the possible loss of sales due to the lack of customization. You may hurt yourself. Test it out on a partial assortment first and definitely decide after you get some numbers.

When we started selling our CDs through the net, our terms of payment were 30 days after invoice receipt (what was common use back then in Switzerland and Germany). This provided us a loss of approx 20% to unpaid invoices. After we switched to prepayment to counter the issue, our loss raised to approx 35 to 40% due to fewer sales. There are always pros and cons to consider and more often than not you have to choose the lesser of the two evils.
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 3:59:56 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:

I wouldn't convert all in advance, without knowing how the possible royalty loss of the secondary content share compares with the possible loss of sales due to the lack of customization. You may hurt yourself. Test it out on a partial assortment first and definitely decide after you get some numbers.

I'm not about to alter those products that are my bestsellers. I'm not that foolish. What's interesting, however, is that those products have no space anywhere to add "backgrounds." Unfortunately, if a customer goes in and starts fooling around, they can easily leave an unseen background, which I'll have to pay for. I don't care how little that payment might be. If something is wrong, it's still wrong, whether it costs a dollar or a penny.

Currently, I'm working on as yet unsold products, something I've meant to do since before I started feeling that my design integrity was being attacked.
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 4:18:08 AM
Colorwash wrote:

I'm not about to alter those products that are my bestsellers. I'm not that foolish. What's interesting, however, is that those products have no space anywhere to add "backgrounds." Unfortunately, if a customer goes in and starts fooling around, they can easily leave an unseen background, which I'll have to pay for. I don't care how little that payment might be. If something is wrong, it's still wrong, whether it costs a dollar or a penny.

Currently, I'm working on as yet unsold products, something I've meant to do since before I started feeling that my design integrity was being attacked.

Yep, noticed that issue with the hidden backgrounds and added my voice, as well as to the secondary designer icon overlapping the primary one. I fully agree with you all, it's a no-go.

I missed the whole Xmas run here and stopped trying to rush, makes no sense. I'll use the Holidays to clean up and replace the old stuff I have on the store and to slowly work myself through the products I want to serve, one by one, so I get the time-consuming basic work done and can then start creating next year.

I'll see what happens with this secondary content thing and act accordingly. I'll be at less risk, though, with my type of work and customers.

A Merry, Merry Christmas and don't exaggerate at New Year's Eve Grin
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 10:15:13 AM
GillKnox wrote:
Kimberly Jones wrote:

Oh, I recall it well. I’ve begged them for updated fonts in the past. The newer additions are a vast improvement, but we’re still lacking quality. Web-based font licenses aren’t cheap, though - I get it.